DL Renewal

Is there some kind of hack? My wife’s DL expires in 2 1/2 weeks, and online DPS registration doesn’t let her hit the renewal button (only the new DL button is lit up), and she can’t get any other kind of DPS appointment until June. Any work around? Thanks

Mine expires in August. Got the renewal notice in the mail yesterday. Downloaded the App to my phone, and renewed in 2 minutes.

my previous ID was a Real ID, and I was not due for a new picture. I had heard from a coworker the website did not work, and to use the app.

why did your wife not do this 5 months ago when she got the mailed notice???

Haha

14 hours ago, statsman said:

Is there some kind of hack? My wife’s DL expires in 2 1/2 weeks, and online DPS registration doesn’t let her hit the renewal button (only the new DL button is lit up), and she can’t get any other kind of DPS appointment until June. Any work around? Thanks

I am in the same boat. And, apparently they require me to bring a birth certificate, which I can't find right now. So I probably need to get another copy of that just to renew my driver's license. Fucking bullshit. 

Luckily, her passport hadn’t expired yet. Have you checked yours?

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I am in the same boat. And, apparently they require me to bring a birth certificate, which I can't find right now. So I probably need to get another copy of that just to renew my driver's license. Fucking bullshit. 

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Passport is valid. But dmv says I need a birth certificate too. 

Their website says one or the other for renewal. 

Bear with me, I may be all wrong, but I suspect there is a chance that the new requirements rollout may not have been well managed. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

Their website says one or the other for renewal. 

Bear with me, I may be all wrong, but I suspect there is a chance that the new requirements rollout may not have been well managed. 

It has been very confusing. I thought the passport was good enough. When I went originally, they told at the door that I needed a birth certificate. It was going to take an hour or two to get called, so I wasn't willing to risk that. It is fucking stupid and not clear at all what is needed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife had to do it a few weeks ago. Got in line at 6:15am and was done by 4pm. Make sure you bring your birth certificate, passport (if you have one), driver license, handgun license (if you have one), and a utility bill that matches the name and address on your DL. 

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

My wife had to do it a few weeks ago. Got in line at 6:15am and was done by 4pm. Make sure you bring your birth certificate, passport (if you have one), driver license, handgun license (if you have one), and a utility bill that matches the name and address on your DL. 

OK, but I’m keeping both of my kidneys. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

15FB511A-A69B-46D4-B33D-EC7AD3F63804.gif

9 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

My wife had to do it a few weeks ago. Got in line at 6:15am and was done by 4pm.

Jesus.  Fuck that.  I think after a couple hours I’d start considering just rolling with it expired for a few years and hope for a better system to come around.  Could always carry a passport card for ID. 

And if you guys are in Austin, go to Marble Falls for this stuff.  We did my sons DL there a while back and were in and out in 15 minutes.  Plus had pie at the Bluebonnet Cafe.  

In Austin, there’s a full service DPS office in one of the downtown state office buildings. It mainly exists for state fleet vehicle stuff but anyone can use it. I’m not sure what building it’s in but my kid went there to get her first DL. I think it’s by appointment only but usually it’s next day availability. I’m sure some googling would locate it.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

In Austin, there’s a full service DPS office in one of the downtown state office buildings. It mainly exists for state fleet vehicle stuff but anyone can use it. I’m not sure what building it’s in but my kid went there to get her first DL. I think it’s by appointment only but usually it’s next day availability. I’m sure some googling would locate it.

I don't think it's there anymore. That was my go to for years. I was usually the only customer there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I don't think it's there anymore. That was my go to for years. I was usually the only customer there.

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

Been gone for years.

Wrong.  The one ya'll are thinking about is gone but there's one that's not advertised on the DPS website but it definitely exists.  It's in the REJ building. My kid got her license there in November and someone I know just scheduled their kid's license for next week.

Edited by CooterBrown

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Wrong.  The one ya'll are thinking about is gone but there's one that's not advertised on the DPS website but it definitely exists.  It's in the REJ building. My kid got her license there in November and someone I know just scheduled their kid's license for next week.

A speakeasy DPS office?

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

A speakeasy DPS office?

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You have to know the special knock and password to get in

Basically. You have to know it’s there to use it. It was built to deal mainly with state fleet needs but being a DPS office, anyone can technically use it. IIRC, there’s not even signage in the building letting you know it’s there. 

Side note: ALWAYS take a picture of your license!  Simply because if you lose your license and do not have a picture of it... you gotta find your passport, birth certificate, pound of flesh etc.  Whereas if you have a picture of you license you can go to the DPS website and enter that long audit number at the bottom of your license.  And in less than a week you will receive you new license in the mail.

The real problems with not having an ID?  Try to get money sent to you after having your wallet stolen!  It's damn near impossible unless there is a branch of your bank that allow you to withdraw off your fingerprint or other biometric Identification.  It took me talking to the VP of my bank and having a faxed letter to a bank in Corpus just to get $150 of my own money to get enough gas back to Austin.  It was actually sort of crazy, and I can only imagine what would happen to somebody without resources who lost their license and needed money.  Fucking crazy.

Whenever, I read these stories it reminded me of how easy the state of Texas has made getting an official ID in Texas... to help with voter ID requirements.  😉

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

I’ve never lost my wallet, but I have forgotten it. I get that this doesn’t apply to everyone but ApplePay, or the like, on my phone and watch is really nice to have. 

I never really thought about the “picture of your DL” thing, but I had to send a picture of it to get a copy of my diploma, transcript, and some other stuff so I already have one. I kept it around in case I needed anything else, but now I’ll just keep it around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

everyone knows to visit the nearest small town dps office. I brought in a folder of documents when I finally had to get a real ID compliant license, the lady helping me in the el campo office just saw my passport and didn’t look at the rest of the stack I brought.