adams out at Tceh

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

they'll hire beard again

I think there were too many bridges burned for that to be the case, but it would be funny as shit to see Beard build it back up and then bolt again in like 3 years for any place that isnt fucking Lubbock, lulz. 

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I think there were too many bridges burned for that to be the case, but it would be funny as shit to see Beard build it back up and then bolt again in like 3 years for any place that isnt fucking Lubbock, lulz. 

Which is exactly why saner heads will prevail. Beard’s going to Ole Miss, where he will run off players and girlfriends and make a triumphant return to Austin.

Edited by Satchel

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard and Adams getting back together at Ole Miss would be crazy but if they hired Beard no reason why they would be unwilling to hire Adams as an assistant. 

He's tailormade for that school. He talks about slaves, they like to talk about slaves. "Fucking come on in, Mark"

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He's tailormade for that school. He talks about slaves, they like to talk about slaves. "Fucking come on in, Mark"

The Bible quote about slaves is probably a plaque in the locker room like Ted Lasso’s “Believe” sign. Never forget…

image.jpeg.1333cea01c91955289520e77263bbc3c.jpeg

Edited by 'stache

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tech fans going from thinking this lesbian was Greg Popovich to this within months is kind of funny. 

Hahahaha! I know, right? Imagine a fan base  having something like that happen to them. I know I can’t! Hahahahaha!

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Hahahaha! I know, right? Imagine a fan base  having something like that happen to them. I know I can’t! Hahahahaha!

Beard hurt more because he was actually a damn good coach. 

Tech fans were stupid thinking that Adams was ever a good coach. He's a mediocre coach and the results this year were far from surprising after losing Beard's players. So yes, it's hilarious how Tech fans talked about Adams and months later wanting him gone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tech fans were stupid thinking that Adams was ever a good coach. He's a mediocre coach and the results this year were far from surprising after losing Beard's players. So yes, it's hilarious how Tech fans talked about Adams and months later wanting him gone. 

I'm not going to get into a discussion regarding who's the better coach between Beard and Adams, because that's a non starter for me. Beard is one of the top 5 basketball coaches in the country. He's the whole package, from strategy, recruiting, hiring support staff, energizing the fan base, convincing stakeholders to invest in the program, to getting buy in from his players...what have you. Adams is not the whole package.

But he was highly successful in the junior college ranks. He was Beard's chief assistant and the architect of the no middle defense. Last year he did a phenomenal job under difficult circumstances. Better than Beard did, who also took the Texas job under difficult circumstances. Adams is a good coach, as long as we limit it to Xs and Os type stuff. Not to mention Tech fans felt like they'd been stabbed in the back, and so the success he brought last year was an even bigger deal for them than anything Beard had been able to accomplish at Texas. 

All I'm saying is we thought we had our answer, and now we don't. Same thing happened to Tech fans. More than looking down on them with contempt or ridicule, I can sympathize. They thought they had their guy. Turns out they didn't. 

I posted it elsewhere, but they've got a heck of a list of coaches they've gone through, all of whom have departed under somewhat unusual circumstances. From Dickey to Knight, Knight, Gillispie, Tubbs, Beard, Adams. There's a lot of weirdness in that list. During that same time frame we've had Barnes, Shaka, and Beard, and half a season of Terry. I'd feel mildly cursed as a Texas Tech basketball fan right about now. I don't blame them for any excitement they try to generate in hoping Lucy doesn't pull away that football this time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But it isn't a head coaching gig and it might not open up any time soon.

Your post makes absolutely no sense to me.

First you wonder if Tech would hire Sampson. Mittens replies that UH is the better gig. 

Then you reply with this.

How is UH not a head coaching gig, and what in the world might not open up any time soon?

I feel like a part of this conversation somehow ended up on the editing room floor. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Your post makes absolutely no sense to me.

First you wonder if Tech would hire Sampson. Mittens replies that UH is the better gig. 

Then you reply with this.

How is UH not a head coaching gig, and what in the world might not open up any time soon?

I feel like a part of this conversation somehow ended up on the editing room floor. 

The Athletic article title/URL is misleading. They’re talking about his son, Kellen, not dad. That’s how this conversation went awry originally. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

All I'm saying is we thought we had our answer, and now we don't. Same thing happened to Tech fans. More than looking down on them with contempt or ridicule, I can sympathize. They thought they had their guy. Turns out they didn't. 

I don't see the comparison. Most Texas fans are against hiring RT because they know he has a track record of being a mediocre coach similar to Adams. 

Laughing at Tech fans has nothing to do with "having an answer" it's that they thought Adams was actually a good coach. It was stupid and the majority of Texas fans have rightfully not gone full fanboy over RT like Tech fans did with Adams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not going to get into a discussion regarding who's the better coach between Beard and Adams, because that's a non starter for me. Beard is one of the top 5 basketball coaches in the country. He's the whole package, from strategy, recruiting, hiring support staff, energizing the fan base, convincing stakeholders to invest in the program, to getting buy in from his players...what have you. Adams is not the whole package.

But he was highly successful in the junior college ranks. He was Beard's chief assistant and the architect of the no middle defense. Last year he did a phenomenal job under difficult circumstances. Better than Beard did, who also took the Texas job under difficult circumstances. Adams is a good coach, as long as we limit it to Xs and Os type stuff. Not to mention Tech fans felt like they'd been stabbed in the back, and so the success he brought last year was an even bigger deal for them than anything Beard had been able to accomplish at Texas. 

I posted it elsewhere, but they've got a heck of a list of coaches they've gone through, all of whom have departed under somewhat unusual circumstances. From Dickey to Knight, Knight, Gillispie, Tubbs, Beard, Adams. There's a lot of weirdness in that list. During that same time frame we've had Barnes, Shaka, and Beard, and half a season of Terry. I'd feel mildly cursed as a Texas Tech basketball fan right about now. I don't blame them for any excitement they try to generate in hoping Lucy doesn't pull away that football this time. 

I think what happened to Adams is something that just happens to people sometimes when they get everything they want. Last year he was hungry, burning the midnight oil, doing everything he could to find ways to win with a team that wasn't that offensively talented, but were long and athletic and could defend very well. This year it seems like the success he had in year 1 went straight to his dome and he stopped being hungry, lost that drive to compete. The stuff that happened in Maui should have made that plainly obvious, but it's easier to dismiss as rumor.

I think he tried very hard last year to prove himself and succeeded, which is why Tech fans backed him going forward. Despite what many will say (Beard's team, Beard's pieces, etc), he took what was a broken shell of a Beard team and put it back together with some excellent pieces from the portal and drove it to a successful season.

He just doesn't have what it takes to sustain that kind of unstoppable drive to be the best. X's and O's aside, THAT is what separates him and Beard. They might be able to go toe to toe from and X's and O's standpoint on a per game basis, depending on the circumstances, but Beard will never stop grinding, for better or for worse. It's easy to see now that Adams is either too old or too complacent after his one season of success (or both) to operate that way. This team had top 25 talent easily and should have been playing like it moving into the NCAA tournament.

Also, Adams seems to be unable to understand the climate of NCAA basketball culture. The fact that he tried to shut the team off from the donors/NIL collective after getting some (pretty mild, from what I hear) pushback about some personal decisions he was making and the team not living up to expectations early on is frankly mind boggling. It seems like the rumors about a major falling out with most of the big basketball donors were true. He's just old as fuck, stubborn and complacent, and needed to move out of the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think what happened to Adams is something that just happens to people sometimes when they get everything they want. Last year he was hungry, burning the midnight oil, doing everything he could to find ways to win with a team that wasn't that offensively talented, but were long and athletic and could defend very well. This year it seems like the success he had in year 1 went straight to his dome and he stopped being hungry, lost that drive to compete. The stuff that happened in Maui should have made that plainly obvious, but it's easier to dismiss as rumor.

I think he tried very hard last year to prove himself and succeeded, which is why Tech fans backed him going forward. Despite what many will say (Beard's team, Beard's pieces, etc), he took what was a broken shell of a Beard team and put it back together with some excellent pieces from the portal and drove it to a successful season.

He just doesn't have what it takes to sustain that kind of unstoppable drive to be the best. X's and O's aside, THAT is what separates him and Beard. They might be able to go toe to toe from and X's and O's standpoint on a per game basis, depending on the circumstances, but Beard will never stop grinding, for better or for worse. It's easy to see now that Adams is either too old or too complacent after his one season of success (or both) to operate that way. This team had top 25 talent easily and should have been playing like it moving into the NCAA tournament.

Also, Adams seems to be unable to understand the climate of NCAA basketball culture. The fact that he tried to shut the team off from the donors/NIL collective after getting some (pretty mild, from what I hear) pushback about some personal decisions he was making and the team not living up to expectations early on is frankly mind boggling. It seems like the rumors about a major falling out with most of the big basketball donors were true. He's just old as fuck, stubborn and complacent, and needed to move out of the way.

Excellent take. For someone like Adams, getting the job was the pinnacle of his career whereas Beard strives to win the championships and then perhaps wanting to be best of all time. This fire manifests early on in their coaching careers for those who are destined to be great.

25 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He was Peter Principled. Happens all the time. 

But it doesn't make him a bad coach, at least how I define it. 

Also, while none of those things helped, he would have required divine intervention to save him from allegations he spit in a player's face then told him he could spit in his face any time he wanted, and tried to instruct a player who was having difficulty with his authority as coach by quoting bible verses that reference a master slave relationship. I don't know that I actually believe those things happened or not in exactly the way they've been described, but I do know they've been reported. 

The point is Tech fans were talking him up as this great coach after last season and now all this transpired. rickylovesweed thinks it's hilarious, because he was never all that great of a coach to begin with, whereas I have some sympathy for Tech fans because I too thought we had a great coach and now he's kaput. And I felt like the kudos that went Adams way last year were entirely deserved. 

And I maintain that Tech basketball fans are on some kind of streak when it comes to their basketball coaches that now approaches 25 years. 

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't see the comparison. Most Texas fans are against hiring RT because they know he has a track record of being a mediocre coach similar to Adams. 

Laughing at Tech fans has nothing to do with "having an answer" it's that they thought Adams was actually a good coach. It was stupid and the majority of Texas fans have rightfully not gone full fanboy over RT like Tech fans did with Adams. 

Adams is a better ACTUAL basketball coach in terms of instructing his teams on the floor than Rodney Terry. 

If those were my only two choices I'd choose Terry, because he can recruit and he can glad hand boosters. But if I can only choose one to prepare and coach my team for one game, I'm choosing Adams. 

Again, I feel like a lot depends on what we're defining as a good coach. I consider Adams a good coach. You don't have the same opinion. I don't think there's any chance in the world that Terry coaches last year's Tech team to the kind of success they had. I feel like there's every chance Adams actually does a better job with this year's team than Terry has done. And then everyone would transfer to get the hell away from his tone deaf old Mrs. Doubtfire ass at the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mark Adams and Texas Longhorn Men's Basketball have the same number of tournament wins in the past 10 years.

You're absolutely right, and quickly now, tell us the number of coaches who would have been competitive in this league with the roster turnover CMA had this offseason...and we can ignore the trip to the Sweet Sixteen in 2022, after the program was left for dead.

CMA appears to be quite the douchebag and power-tripper, but he's not a shitty basketball coach.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's kind of a surreal deja vu situation considering this is exactly what happened before Beard left.

That wasn’t lost on me either. Those players wanted Adams, they got Adams, they left after they graduated or transferred or went pro and that’s why you don’t put that much stock in what the players want. Especially basketball players who can jump to the pros anytime. 

Players are making a one year decision on their coach, but the he school is making a 3-5 year decision 

Edited by Js1

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Adams is the Rodney Terry cautionary tale. Dudes are long time/repeat bench coaches for a reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, slorch said:

CMA appears to be quite the douchebag and power-tripper, but he's not a shitty basketball coach.

Mark Adams records as a head coach at the D1 level: 

2-20

16-12

14-14

9-19

3-25

27-10

16-15

He's had 1 good season as a head coach. Shocking news that it came the year after Beard with his players and culture. He's at best a mediocre coach and probably a shitty coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mark Adams records as a head coach at the D1 level: 

2-20

16-12

14-14

9-19

3-25

27-10

16-15

He's had 1 good season as a head coach. Shocking news that it came the year after Beard with his players and culture. He's at best a mediocre coach and probably a shitty coach. 

To be fair, he is .784 in his non-D1 career. With an NJCAA championship. So while I agree he was not good a the D1 level, he is not a terrible coach.

Just another coach who could not make the jump to larger leagues. But anyone suggesting he was the genius behind Beard’s success, is just bitter Beard left TTU.

4 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

We should let them "steal" Terry. You know, let em have one. Like when you let your little brother win a game of one on one.

He's the same profile as Adams. 

Tech fans are just too dumb to realize that Adams never did anything without Beard's roster or culture. Same thing probably applies to Terry so maybe they're dumb enough to do it again. 

1 minute ago, UnivTex34 said:

To be fair, he is .784 in his non-D1 career. With an NJCAA championship. So while I agree he was not good a the D1 level, he is not a terrible coach.

Just another coach who could not make the jump to larger leagues. But anyone suggesting he was the genius behind Beard’s success, is just bitter Beard left TTU.

Being a NJCAA championship coach means little to nothing in the context of being a D1 coach. 

In 7 seasons at the D1 level, Adams was bad in 6 of those. He's definitely a mediocre D1 coach and probably shitty if we're being honest. Having a roster of Beard players and his culture fooled these morons in Lubbock though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Being a NJCAA championship coach means little to nothing in the context of being a D1 coach. 

In 7 seasons at the D1 level, Adams was bad in 6 of those. He's definitely a mediocre D1 coach and probably shitty if we're being honest. Having a roster of Beard players and his culture fooled these morons in Lubbock though. 

So did you just stop reading my post after the first sentence? Or are you just arguing to argue?

1 minute ago, UnivTex34 said:

So did you just stop reading my post after the first sentence? Or are you just arguing to argue?

Arguing "Adams isn't a terrible coach" because he won at the NJCAA level is what I was responding to. That means nothing. The NJCAA versus NCAA is like comparing high school basketball to the pros. 

We're talking about the D1 level. There are good middle school coaches too but that doesn't mean they're good coaches at the D1 level.