Vehicle Registration After Sitting 10 Years

Have an 85 BMW, and was driving it and always had it inspected and registered every year, but ran into problems and it has been sitting in my garage for about 10 years.  During that time, I've been working on it a bit, but recently got serious and got it back into shape.  Now I need to get it registered again.   

I assume I need to take it to a repair shop and get it inspected.  But, do I have to pay any late registration fees, or 10 years worth of inspections?  

What should I expect??

Have an 85 BMW, and was driving it and always had it inspected and registered every year, but ran into problems and it has been sitting in my garage for about 10 years.  During that time, I've been working on it a bit, but recently got serious and got it back into shape.  Now I need to get it registered again.   
I assume I need to take it to a repair shop and get it inspected.  But, do I have to pay any late registration fees, or 10 years worth of inspections?  
What should I expect??

Just go get it inspected. No late fees or back payments really
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, Stella Link said:

What should I expect??

They’ll ask you if you drove it for the most recent year, and prorate that. But other than that, no. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They’ll ask you if you drove it for the most recent year, and prorate that. But other than that, no. 

Nope. You pay for the full current year from the expiration. No prorate. Went thru this a couple years ago with my spare car. Tags were 8 months out and I had to pay full year for 4 months of tags.

I had to do this for a project car recently.  There's no penalty fees, you do have to sign an affidavit that you didn't drive it, and that you haven't received any tickets for lack of registration.  The major PITA is that you can't do it online (or at least couldn't do it online when I did it for WilCo), you had to go into the Tax Assessor/Collector office and do it in person, which means burning a few hours sitting on your ass.  At least now mine does online appointments to cut down on the wait.

You'll want to bring your title.  They may not need it but good to have it.

Nope. You pay for the full current year from the expiration. No prorate. Went thru this a couple years ago with my spare car. Tags were 8 months out and I had to pay full year for 4 months of tags.

Done that a couple of times with my Vespa. Most recently last month.
They only did that to me when I did it online. When I do it in person they ask me if it has been driven or if I’ve gotten any tickets and give me a sticker from the current month.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:42 AM, RPM said:

I should have been more clear, they prorate down your remaining time.  You pay for all 12 months, have a sticker for the delta *if* you drove during the time you were expired.