Texas vs KU, Big XII Tourney Title Game- today at 5pm, ESPN

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And if quad 1 wins are a big deal, don’t we have a big pile of them as well?  I l if there’s 2 against Kansas as part of our last 10, which is supposed to also be a thing. 

Yeah, this is the problem.

They're going to give Kansas the #1 or #2 overall seed based primarily on Q1 wins. If that's the case Texas deserves a 1 seed too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

No chance. The NCAA committee has highlighted how important Q1 wins are. 

Kansas has 17 and we are the next closest at 13. Kansas will be the overall #1 or #2 seed. But this is also why we should be a 1 seed. 

17 for Kansas, 13 for Texas, 6 for Houston, 11 for Bama/Purdue, 8 for UCLA

I mean, I get the argument for us

Just now, Js1 said:

17 for Kansas, 13 for Texas, 6 for Houston, 11 for Bama/Purdue, 8 for UCLA

I mean, I get the argument for us

I edited my post but it's actually 14 after the win tonight.

Yeah, I'm fully on board us getting a 1 seed. You can't preach about Q1 wins and then not give us a 1 seed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I tend to agree, but doesn't Houston have like 3 Quad 1 wins all year?

We have more than that in the last 2 weeks.

Houston has the weirdest profile out all the teams. They're #1 in NET but they have the worst resume in almost every other metric. They have the fewest Q1 wins, they have a bad loss (Q3), and their strength of schedule is terrible. 

The NCAA committee isn't going to exclude the #1 overall NET team but if they lose to Memphis tomorrow and fall to like 3 or 4 in NET they might not get a 1. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ff8nqk16awf7ek0j8s

I’m fine with his conclusion but our overall resume isn’t as good as theirs. They blow us away in strength of schedule (non- conference) and did finish a game ahead of us. It’s close and the 2/3 definitely helps- but I have them ahead of us by a close but discernible margin. We should be ahead  of everyone else imo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

With Sasser gimpy, the Coogs might well be the weakest No. 1. They might even be more like a high 2. I think we'd beat them. 

If they lose tomorrow it would be interesting where they drop in NET. If they drop to like 3 or 4 in NET I don't think they're getting a 1 seed.

Their resume sucks outside of the raw NET ranking. 

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, so maybe the best thing that could happen for us is if U of H is considered the worst 1 and we're the best 2, so we go in the same bracket.

That's as good an E8 matchup as we could ask for, and I'm not even sure Houston gets there.

That would be a fun regional final with the Final 4 in Houston and all.

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Houston has the weirdest profile out all the teams. They're #1 in NET but they have the worst resume in almost every other metric. They have the fewest Q1 wins, they have a bad loss (Q3), and their strength of schedule is terrible. 

The NCAA committee isn't going to exclude the #1 overall NET team but if they lose to Memphis tomorrow and fall to like 3 or 4 in NET they might not get a 1. 

Nope, Houston isn't losing their #1 seed. They are like the top team in every ranking that follows college basketball. They are also the only team in the Top 10 in both Adjusted offense and defense and are likely the favorite to win it all.

Edited by HtownHorn

34 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Man, I like obliterating Kansas in basketball almost--almost--as much as doing it to Oklahoma in football. Great day. Hook 'em!

(Were there really people arguing we should win one game in the tournament and shut it down to get rest?)

I have always hoped we would do to them what Texas did to Nebraska in football.  Which was making them irrelevant. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nope, Houston isn't losing their #1 seed. They are like the top team in every ranking that follows college basketball. They are also the only team in the Top 10 in both Adjusted offense and defense and are likely the favorite to win it all.

I need to see where Houston falls in NET if they lose to Memphis. If it's 3 or 4 I think it's a real possibility. 

Q1 wins-

Kansas 17

Texas 14

Alabama 11

Purdue 11

UCLA 8

Houston 6

Bad losses (Q3 or Q4)-

Houston 1

Everyone else 0

SOS-

Kansas 1

Alabama 2

Texas 9

Purdue 31

Houston 38

UCLA 40

Houston is not getting a 1 seed over most these teams if they drop to 3 or 4 in NET. A 2 or 3 spot difference in NET compared to the other teams is not going to make up for the rest of their resume. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The committee may also be 99% of the way done with the bracket. Only making small adjustments here and there. I usually don’t think the tournaments matter that much

My thoughts, as well.

Non-conference early season + conference play >>>>> conference tournament, imo.

The cache of a No.1 seed would be nice, but it seems we're obsessing over something of minimal importance. The actual bracket/opponents Texas will face should be our concern here, dudes.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The committee may also be 99% of the way done with the bracket. Only making small adjustments here and there. I usually don’t think the tournaments matter that much

This. We needed Purdue or Bama or Houston to lose today and not tomorrow so they would have time to make the necessary adjustments. It’s just too late tomorrow imo.