Texas vs KU, Big XII Tourney Title Game- today at 5pm, ESPN

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

My thoughts, as well.

Non-conference early season + conference play >>>>> conference tournament, imo.

The cache of a No.1 seed would be nice, but it seems we're obsessing over something of minimal importance. The actual bracket/opponents Texas will face should be our concern here, dudes.

It’s an important week for marginal teams to play their way in or out. But I’ve always felt they have roughly a good idea of the top 50 teams and where they are seeded before the tournaments already. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Our Nonconference schedule is killing us in his ratings. 

Yeah- it’s not just us it’s pretty much the entire top 10 seems off to me. 
Also I don’t really care about overall non-conference SOS. It shouldn’t matter if you are playing 350 or 175 or 126- a cupcake is a cupcake. 
we played 5 games against legit opponents and went 3-2. The rest of that shot kihht as well not have mattered.  7 out of 12 non conference games being tomato cans sounds bad, until you realize we just played 21 games in conference and the worst team we played was ranked top 75. Houston’s entire conference slate sans Memphis was worse then the worst team on our schedule 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Dare I say we flow a little better without Timmy?...maybe ease him in off the bench instead of just plugging him in right away in the 1st Rd with 25+ minutes. The current bunch has some Mo going..

No. It’s really obvious and apparent. We should always have 3 of Morris, Rice, Hunter and Carr on the floor. The offense makes most sense that way. Timmy, Cunningham, Bishop and Disu can split the other 2 spots. Timmy needs to not be our secondary playmaker and it needs to go through our guards with space and driving. I know that leaves our most talented NBA type player not playing. Maybe he can be a change of pace guy for 8 minutes a game. 

1 minute ago, Dr Phil WIth Hair said:

I would rather be the top 2 seed with a chip on our shoulder than a 1 seed that gets shipped out west or something.

Does it really matter where we go geographically this year? Nothing prior to the final 4 is driving distance from Austin/Houston/Dallas…

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- it’s not just us it’s pretty much the entire top 10 seems off to me. 
Also I don’t really care about overall non-conference SOS. It shouldn’t matter if you are playing 350 or 175 or 126- a cupcake is a cupcake. 
we played 5 games against legit opponents and went 3-2. The rest of that shot kihht as well not have mattered.  7 out of 12 non conference games being tomato cans sounds bad, until you realize we just played 21 games in conference and the worst team we played was ranked top 75. Houston’s entire conference slate sans Memphis was worse then the worst team on our schedule 

You're kinda stretching things if you're including Stanford in that list of legit opponents. By that standard KU nearly doubled us in their number of legit noncon opponents all while playing in the same conference as us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No. It’s really obvious and apparent. We should always have 3 of Morris, Rice, Hunter and Carr on the floor. The offense makes most sense that way. Timmy, Cunningham, Bishop and Disu can split the other 2 spots. Timmy needs to not be our secondary playmaker and it needs to go through our guards with space and driving. I know that leaves our most talented NBA type player not playing. Maybe he can be a change of pace guy for 8 minutes a game. 

That and Disu. 

I'm not even sure Timmy should be the secondary playmaker now. Let our guards create and then the secondary option is feeding Disu on the block. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3

It is so obvious that the starting lineup with Allen, Mitchell, and Disu has poor spacing. Really, it's MItchell that should take a seat, but I don't think you make that move this late in the season. Just go back to the rotation that worked all season, just a little more time for Morris in 3 guard lineups, especially if Disu and Bishop both get in foul trouble. This was a big weekend for Morris. He should have all the confidence in the world heading into the tournament. It is also going to help a ton to stop playing Big 12 teams.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You're kinda stretching things if you're including Stanford in that list of legit opponents. By that standard KU nearly doubled us in their number of legit noncon opponents all while playing in the same conference as us. 

Probably. But it was neutral and a power 5 squad. 
I agree about KU and I said to Derka I think it’s close but they are discernibly better than us. But I’m perfectly comfortable with arguing us as deserving of the #2 overall seed, and if not that then definitely 3 or 4. 
I just can’t respect Houston playing so few good opponents as a 1 seed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That and Disu. 

I'm not even sure Timmy should be the secondary playmaker now. Let our guards create and then the secondary option is feeding Disu on the block. 

You misread me. I said Timmy needs to NOT be our secondary playmaker. As in it should always be one of the guards initiating the offense and setting it up in space and driving. Timmy should be setting pick and roll, pick and pop, flairs, posting up etc, not handing the ball facing up 19 feet from the hoop initiating sets or playmaking. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I dont agree with changing things up going into the tourney. Start Timmy, but reduce the overall time we play with 2 guard lineups. 

And that’s fine and I’m sure what we will do. Mitchell has been marginalized for a while now. I’d just finish the job and make him mostly a non-participant. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

our pressure defense was awesome today. ku looked and played like hammered dogshit in austin, but they came to play today, and we just shut them down. jalen wilson had a great individual first half, because he's awesome, but that was it. dajuan harris was a complete non factor, KJ was not getting any of those power slams and alley oops that he had been getting all tournament, and gradey dick was totally neutralized for the entire first half. ku had all sorts of problems holding onto the ball and straight up could not handle our pressure. our defense during this tournament has been the real story, i think. if we keep that up and simply don't settle for bad shots, we're going to the elite 8 at a minimum. this defense has been nails lately.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

re: the refs, talk on here about playing against the refs as well as against KU.  The stats on fouls and shots show an even game, but I saw like many of you the few examples of things that have not been called,  carrying, traveling, etc. that went against us but not them. 

Let's say KU had an advantage that is not exactly measurable.  How much better are we than KU on a neutral court with completely neutral refs? 

Do we get an additional 5-7 points with completely neutral refs? Does the committee watch the games?   If so, then we are claiming we are 25 points better than one of the top 4 teams in the country?  Then the conversation in the committee would have to be, "Is Texas a fluke?" of course someone could point out that Texas beat KU twice in the last 8 days, then our record against top teams, etc. 

Is there a case to be made to just swap us and KU?  Wouldn't that be an easy fix for the committee? 

As I finish this I realize there is no way anybody could expect the entire committee to watch all of the conference tourney games.  

I don't expect anything but a 2 seed, but I could see this conversation possibly happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't really know dick about basketball, especially college basketball, but damn that was a well played game from Texas.

There was only really two wtf moments, a Hunter turnover and horrible Carr heat check 3 while we were on a run.

They didn't have really any runs. Our defense was great. Our offense seemed to have them out of position a lot, then they would get easily got by the pump fakes. Kansas seemed to be playing desperate and out of control on D. Kansas has athleticism but damn their shooting was just shit. Our outside shot wasn't falling either but we have the bigs.

I guess then not having McCullar really fucked em up? We had 16 assists on 31 makes and they only had 8 on 24. Lots of times we had a cutter wide open for a layup.

NCAA Tournament here we come

Fuck the big12

Fuck the 1 seed

Final 4 or bust!

Keep Terry I guess...

aa276139983db46a2a5adf2712b62f4a

These dudes are having so much fun right now man it's awesome to watch

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How many hustle plays did Cunningham make in this game? Guy was all over the place. 

Plus he was knocking down shots and getting rebounds and assists. He kinda was an X factor with Disu and Bishop ballin out they thought they had a break with Cuttingham and he chopped em up all game.

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I had no idea Morris had those kind of hops.

Eat a giant bag of dicks Bill Self 

Yeah I thought the pass was way too high. Proven wrong yet again. 

3 hours ago, chemHORN said:

We are one Tech game away from being the number 1 overall seed.

Too fucking soon man. 2009 still fucks me up. 

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Rare to capture that many figures in a scene at precisely the right moment. Epic shot. 

Morris is just electric. Sure, he sometimes gets in too big a hurry, but he has the raw tools to turn things around in a flash. Even when he's not scoring, his on-ball D is something most other points can't deal with. We'll need a lot more of that as March unfolds. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

our pressure defense was awesome today. ku looked and played like hammered dogshit in austin, but they came to play today, and we just shut them down. jalen wilson had a great individual first half, because he's awesome, but that was it. dajuan harris was a complete non factor, KJ was not getting any of those power slams and alley oops that he had been getting all tournament, and gradey dick was totally neutralized for the entire first half. ku had all sorts of problems holding onto the ball and straight up could not handle our pressure. our defense during this tournament has been the real story, i think. if we keep that up and simply don't settle for bad shots, we're going to the elite 8 at a minimum. this defense has been nails lately.

Texas actually played them tough in Lawrence but I believe we figured out our strategy was wrong. The key to beating Kansas isn’t shutting down Wilson. It’s shutting down Harris which in turn makes Dick a non-factor. 

• Like 2

The Big XII deserves every bad thing that comes to them. "Oh Texas thinks they're big shit in the SWC, just wait until they have to play real teams"... "Oh Texas spends too much money and is bullying all of us" ... "oh Texas makes all the money in this conference and it's not fair"..... "Let's fuck Texas and shit on them every chance we get because we're butthurt." ... "Oh Texas is leaving! THAT'S NOT FAIR! HORNS DOWN! HORNS DOWN!" 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3