Margin Call: free on YouTube for awhile

Parliament

If you've seen it already, you're gonna wanna see it again,  If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.  Think 12 Angry Men + The Big Short.  All star cast who all kill it.  I mean Jeremy freekin' Irons is basically a background character.

Watch it.  Watch it now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Haven’t been part of a fire sale but have walked into work, gone to my office, and come out to an entire floor being gutted to cut labor expense. Awful feeling you can never really forget.

Strangely, once the dust settled down I realized something about myself. And that was how much I had let a fucking job define me as both an employee and person for years. 
It’s not that I was important, I wasn’t. But I made decisions and my opinion counted. In the blink of an eye that was gone. And for awhile I really missed that 

On 3/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, Parliament said:

If you've seen it already, you're gonna wanna see it again,  If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.  Think 12 Angry Men + The Big Short.  All star cast who all kill it.  I mean Jeremy freekin' Irons is basically a background character.

Watch it.  Watch it now.

Good movie, but Big Short is better.

Casting director killed it for Margin Call- Tucci, Irons and Spacey were fantastic. Paul Beatty was the weak link and even he was serviceable.

• Hook 'Em 1

i watched the jeremy irons board meeting scene a dozen times on youtube, and it was the first thing i saw about the movie long before seeing the whole movie itself.  it is really a great scene.  i had no context when watching it and was just really impressed with how well it communicated the exhaustion, intimidation, power structures.

as for weak link, i didn't like simon baker.  the most unnatural lines in the whole movie are his "fuck me. fuck me" when hearing the time.  i've seen people say that it was an ad libbed line that was totally perfect.  i thought the opposite.

The other thing, the movie takes great pains to mark the overnight hours in great detail.  To show how they're breaking down their strategy to deploy the next morning when trading begins and time is critical.  Then Baker's character leaves the room for 10 seconds to supposedly call the CEO (Irons) for the most important call of both their careers.  And it's a thing that takes a blink of an eye.  Total bullshit.  He coulda easily stayed out of the room for 45 seconds and they coulda filled the time with dialogue between Spacey and Moore.  

The other thing that I wonder about, which you guys could speak to.  The trading people are just now meeting the Risk Management team?  And then the British dude has to introduce the "Risk Department Team" to the "Chief Risk Management Officer"?  I never watched it that closely, but do they reveal how the fuck that is possible ? Or is that vagueness an intentional plot device?  

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The other thing, the movie takes great pains to mark the overnight hours in great detail.  To show how they're breaking down their strategy to deploy the next morning when trading begins and time is critical.  Then Baker's character leaves the room for 10 seconds to supposedly call the CEO (Irons) for the most important call of both their careers.  And it's a thing that takes a blink of an eye.  Total bullshit.  He coulda easily stayed out of the room for 45 seconds and they coulda filled the time with dialogue between Spacey and Moore.  

The other thing that I wonder about, which you guys could speak to.  The trading people are just now meeting the Risk Management team?  And then the British dude has to introduce the "Risk Department Team" to the "Chief Risk Management Officer"?  I never watched it that closely, but do they reveal how the fuck that is possible ? Or is that vagueness an intentional plot device?  

I’d like to think it’s the latter and indicative of corporate bloat for the F500 corps where it is conceivable you don’t even know who the leaders in your own department are. Hell, even smaller shops aren’t immune to that.

6 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

WTF

I'm well familiar with the story and what happened.  I just didn't care for the style or direction of the movie (e.g., cutting to a bubble bath to explain mortgage bonds).  It felt aimed at the superhero movie crowd or WWE fans.  Not my thing.  

7 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm well familiar with the story and what happened.  I just didn't care for the style or direction of the movie (e.g., cutting to a bubble bath to explain mortgage bonds).  It felt aimed at the superhero movie crowd or WWE fans.  Not my thing.  

Cutting to Margot Robbie in a bubble bath is aimed at the Margot Robbie in a bubble bath crowd.  That’s everyone’s thing.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Eh, I kinda agree about the bathtub scene and the anthony bourdain scene as being chintzy, but I thought The Big Short was better because truth is stranger than fiction, though Margin Call is widely thought to be based on Goldman Sachs in 2018 (which makes sense why OP loves it since I just found out what everyone on here already knew that he is an MD at GS).

• Hook 'Em 1