Selection Sunday Thread

Pancho

18 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

They should've put Iowa State on the other side of our bracket.  We shouldn't have to see them until the elite 8 at the earliest since we already had to play them twice.  

When did they do away with that rule? (Setting it up where you wouldn’t play a conference opponent before elite 8 (unless the conference had more than 8 selected)

Just heard another talking head ranting about how both penn state (10seed) and aggy (7seed) were two teams that got screwed the most by the committee.  

Some believe penn state deserved at least an 8seed, and aggy deserved a 5seed.  

----------------------------------------------

Did find the following in an SBNation article

Who was seeded unfairly?

This is a much broader discussion. The amount of true “snubs” might have been smaller this year than in tournaments past, but the field was littered with teams who deserved to be higher, and now have to fight a more difficult path to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

No. 12 Oral Roberts: 30-4 overall record. 23rd in offensive efficiency per KenPom. Now they have to face Duke in the first round in the East Region.

No. 5 Duke: ACC Tournament Champions. Ranked 21st in KenPom, which is higher than three teams who received higher seeds. Despite being on a major run they now face a brutal 12 seed in Oral Roberts, who we’ve established should have been higher.

No. 7 Texas A&M: Second place in the SEC. Beat No. 1 seed Alabama on March 4. Won 10 of their last 12 games. The Aggies easily had a case to be a No. 5 seed or higher.

No. 9 FAU: 26th overall in KenPom. CUSA Champions. The 31-3 Owls had a serious claim on being a higher seed, despite not coming from a Power 5 conference. Their resume might not be littered with top wins, but getting a 1st round matchup against Memphis is rough.

----------------------------------------------

Interesting article below doesn't mention either penn state or aggy though...

https://www.numberfire.com/ncaab/news/47784/march-madness-the-10-most-underrated-teams-in-the-2023-ncaa-tournament 

• Hook 'Em 1

Duke has one of the most talented teams in the country but they're also really young. 
All those FR are pretty much Sophomores now so it's not surprising they're playing better now. I wouldn't want to play Duke. 

Actually, I very much want to play Duke this year!
  • Hook 'Em 1

aggy has two quad 4 losses and no quality wins outside of conference. they played almost all of the toughest SEC teams at home due to an unbalanced schedule. 

they have been playing well and could very well overperform their seed but I don't think they were seeded unfairly. IMHO there are other teams with bigger gripes.

Looks like we got screwed on the 7/10 opponent but I like having Xavier & Houston over any of the other options at 3 & 1 which should be what matters because we better not lose to fucking aggy or pedo-u. That said, I don't know shit about fuck so whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hook me said:

Looks like we got screwed on the 7/10 opponent but I like having Xavier & Houston over any of the other options at 3 & 1 which should be what matters because we better not lose to fucking aggy or pedo-u. That said, I don't know shit about fuck so whatever.

I feel like this team could lose in the first round or win the whole fucking thing.  Let's just see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/12/2023 at 10:15 PM, UTexasFight said:

When did they do away with that rule? (Setting it up where you wouldn’t play a conference opponent before elite 8 (unless the conference had more than 8 selected)

If you play a conference foe 3 times, you cant see them before the Elite 8. Twice you cant see them before the Sweet 16. Sometimes this can't be avoided due to the number of teams a conference may get in. With the Big 12 getting 4 teams in the top 4 lines, all 4 of those teams HAD to be in separate regions. The other 3 teams (ISU, WVU, and TCU) had to be in a region with another BIg 12 member and due to seeding it could be just about no where else to put them.