Surly 2023 March Madness Bracket Contest

BigOrange1

Join here: https://fantasy.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2023/en/group?groupID=5290681

Password: big12champs

$25 entry fee.  35 or fewer entries = 75/25 split between 1st and second, 36 or more entries = 70/20/10 split between the top 3.

i can take payments via venmo, paypal (prefer those two the most), cash app, and apple pay.  just pm me with your preferred method of payment.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I don't spend my money on basketball brackets. Instead I use it for much more secure investments, like powerball. But I always do the 25 brackets on ESPN. I always do a few on my own, with one where Texas wins, and then one with total chaos, but mostly I just use the auto fill smart option. One of those came up with Marquette winning it all. I was like, yup, that's the one. Can't think of a better way for the basketball gods to fuck Texas some more. 

• Pancho pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I thought we had moved on from that and that every entry is presumed paid for money. Someone can set up a free bracket if desired?

ah, excellent. hoping to get a big turnout like we used to. i remember when we'd have close to 100 people in this thing. the pot used to get very big.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

folks gotta remember to label their team with a $ if they're playing for money. i see some names on the list that i believe are in the $25 pool but who haven't labeled their entry as such. 

anyone who doesn't pay will be purged when i get back to my office next week and reconcile my spreadsheet vs the names in the contest on espn.com.  i don't do free shit.

• Hook 'Em 6

17 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

ok - wednesday afternoon payment update:

I do not show record of payment from the following people who have signed up:

@Js1, @Loop 1604, @taybo20, @Hornsome, @SquishMitten

There are 2 espn usernames that I don't know who belong to who: BOTCH & Winning Time.  

Paid! Enjoy my money bitches

• Hook 'Em 1

ok this thing really blew up while i was sleeping.  it will definitely be next week when i'm back in the office before i verify that everyone in the contest has paid.  i think i have responded to every pm i got.  if i've "liked" your payment on venmo, you are accounted for on my spreadsheet.

12 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

ok this thing really blew up while i was sleeping.  it will definitely be next week when i'm back in the office before i verify that everyone in the contest has paid.  i think i have responded to every pm i got.  if i've "liked" your payment on venmo, you are accounted for on my spreadsheet.

you have not

I never feel good about mine.  But my approach has been "do it, don't think about it, go with your gut" this week because a) I don't have time to assess every matchup and read KenPom, BPI, etc. and b) whatever I do doesn't matter, because my Final 4 will be wrecked by the end of tomorrow, I'm sure. 

image.jpeg.dcbc695bec5f643bf71e206a847913de.jpeg

"Paid? Well let me see...I have no idea of what that means. I know what you think it means sonny. To me its just a made up word. A politician's word, so young Surlies like yourself can wear a t-shirt and flipflops and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did? There is not a day goes by that I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here but because you think I should. I look back at the ways I was back then...a young stupid kid who submitted that terrible bracket. I want to talk to him. Try to talk some sense into him. Tell him the way things are...but I can't. That kid is long gone and this old man is all that is left. I have to live with that. Paid is just a bullshit word. So you go ahead and stamp your forms sonny and stop wasting my time."

• Haha 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, dimyh said:

image.jpeg.dcbc695bec5f643bf71e206a847913de.jpeg

"Paid? Well let me see...I have no idea of what that means. I know what you think it means sonny. To me its just a made up word. A politician's word, so young Surlies like yourself can wear a t-shirt and flipflops and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did? There is not a day goes by that I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here but because you think I should. I look back at the ways I was back then...a young stupid kid who submitted that terrible bracket. I want to talk to him. Try to talk some sense into him. Tell him the way things are...but I can't. That kid is long gone and this old man is all that is left. I have to live with that. Paid is just a bullshit word. So you go ahead and stamp your forms sonny and stop wasting my time."

Screenshot-2023-03-16-at-11-16-51-AM.png

• Like 1