So I have a wedding in Philly around the 4th of July in 2024...

horn4life

My Nephew is getting married next year, and the wedding in on the 4th of July weekend.  I am assuming that plan tickets around the 4th are gonna be expensive and was thinking of perhaps making a longer trip and maybe going to DC for a couple days to see museums, Smithsonian and what not.  Or maybe do stuff around Philly?  I just want to do more than go to the wedding and back if I am dropping $800+ per round trip.  Now maybe I can get cheaper flights by booking early, but looking at nearly any July weekend travel to Philly was around $400 each way.  

Now maybe I should just go out and back, but seems like I might take advantage of being in the NE and go to Washington DC?  Or do I go on a Philly food expedition for a few days and call it a weekend?  At least it's a normal Saturday wedding, rather than some Friday night or Sunday bullshit.  I don't know where in Philly the wedding is yet, but the wife has never been to DC and I thought it would be cool to do a few days of National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian, etc. 

Not sure if there are any cost savings flying into Baltimore/Washington, or not.  I thought about a trip to NYC, but seems like DC might be a better option.

Anyhow tell me what you would do.  We are trying to decide whether or not just to take a week off and go see a bunch of stuff before the wedding.  I am open to ANYTHING or ANYWHERE near Philly, as long as I can make the Wedding.

I'd just stay in Philly and check it out. DC is great, but it's a separate trip. And there's some good places to eat in DC but COVID really knocked a hole in it. Independence Hall and the Philadelphia Museum of Art are both cool.

If you're itching to take advantage of being on the East Coast, Philadelphia is about halfway by train between DC and NYC, so you can really do just about anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Gettysburg is a great visit 

2. avoid philly strip clubs 

3. Phillies game would be cool. Baltimore / camden yard is close by. As is nationals park 

4. The sub shop in Delaware city is great. Tell them is said hi 

5. if you want to go deep down the Delaware rabbit hole, hit up Helen’s for breakfast 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, horn4life said:

My Nephew is getting married next year, and the wedding in on the 4th of July weekend.  I am assuming that plan tickets around the 4th are gonna be expensive and was thinking of perhaps making a longer trip and maybe going to DC for a couple days to see museums, Smithsonian and what not.  Or maybe do stuff around Philly?  I just want to do more than go to the wedding and back if I am dropping $800+ per round trip.  Now maybe I can get cheaper flights by booking early, but looking at nearly any July weekend travel to Philly was around $400 each way.  

Now maybe I should just go out and back, but seems like I might take advantage of being in the NE and go to Washington DC?  Or do I go on a Philly food expedition for a few days and call it a weekend?  At least it's a normal Saturday wedding, rather than some Friday night or Sunday bullshit.  I don't know where in Philly the wedding is yet, but the wife has never been to DC and I thought it would be cool to do a few days of National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian, etc. 

Not sure if there are any cost savings flying into Baltimore/Washington, or not.  I thought about a trip to NYC, but seems like DC might be a better option.

Anyhow tell me what you would do.  We are trying to decide whether or not just to take a week off and go see a bunch of stuff before the wedding.  I am open to ANYTHING or ANYWHERE near Philly, as long as I can make the Wedding.

Where are you flying out from? I'd just use Southwest low fares calendar about 6 to 7 months before the trip. Right now most flights to Philly from here in Dallas 6 months out are $380s round trip. 

Just go early and check out Philly. Research it and make a list of what you want to see

• Hook 'Em 1