What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Elite 8 would make him the prime candidate for the job, but CDC should still be open to taking other applications. Final 4 or better should get him a guaranteed 3 year contract. 

I agree with this but I think a Final 4 would give him a 5 year contract with probably a lot longer tenure 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Elite 8 would make him the prime candidate for the job, but CDC should still be open to taking other applications. Final 4 or better should get him a guaranteed 3 year contract. 

This. Don’t agree he’s earned it yet. We don’t need yet another regular season warrior who can’t win NCAA games. If he can’t win 3+ tournament games with this roster, he won’t ever win in March here 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. Don’t agree he’s earned it yet. We don’t need yet another regular season warrior who can’t win NCAA games. If he can’t win 3+ tournament games with this roster, he won’t ever win in March here 

These, stick the poll to the top of the forum but we don't need a 3rd thread about Terry as head coach/not as head coach.  Plus every in-game thread is gonna turn into a Terry debate on a possession-by-possession basis. 

He gets knocked out the first weekend, sorry Terry.  Thanks for everything you did keeping this season together for us, but with this seed/regional bracket...that's enough proof (given your previous track records as HC elsewhere) to part ways amicably.  We gets knocked out Sweet 16 or Elite 8, I won't like it-but he should at least be in the discussion of candidates.  He would still warrant being in the finalist/semifinalist pool of folks.  He gets to the Final Four/Title Game, you have to honor that and offer him a 3-year deal.  It's a weird spot to be in, but other coaches and agents are gonna remember that in a few years when we make yet another hire that Texas DIDN'T give Terry a head spot for a few years after such a run.  That just looks weird to the adults, nevermind the recruits.  

In three weeks time, I think we're all gonna be beating to death the cliche, "My God, what an awesome problem to have right now"  

He has already proven he can coach with a talented roster and staff without totally fucking it up, which apparently is more difficult than it would seem.

Some head scratching losses costs us the regular season title and a #1 seed, so there is that to consider.

Given a number 2 seed, I think the team's performance needs to exceed the expected  outcome of elite 8, so Final 4.  Even that type of performance would need to be qualified with style points and nothing goofy happening along the way to the #1 and #3 seeds in order for a final 4 appearance to make him a lock.

As others have said there are some similarities to the 1989 Michigan team  (so far) who lost their coach to Arizona St. right before the tournament.  Steve Fischer (who had no head coaching experience)was appointed interim head coach and lead a talented team to the championship.  After a couple of tough years, he landed the Fab 5 recruiting class and subsequently made the championship game twice before a slow decline and some scandals which ultimately led to his dismissal in 1997.  The two championship game appearances were later vacated, but nobody really cares about that.

I would definitely take a Michigan scenario if offered.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

UT isn’t a basketball school, it has little to no history. Get off the high horse and quit acting like this is a basketball school

he's earned the job 

Disagree

Texas has had plenty of success having good regular seasons, not winning the conference, getting a high seed etc. He held serve, could any of the other assistants do the same if given the same opportunity? (kids deserve so much credit)

who knows

Undefeated regular season means dick if you lose in the first weekend  

Tourney or bust. Go earn the job.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’d argue that these are actually 2 slightly different questions you’re asking-“earning the job” vs. CDC “offering him the job.” One relates to his actual merits, the other is more about when the pressure becomes such that you can’t avoid hiring him *even if you feel he hasn’t earned it*. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

UT isn’t a basketball school, it has little to no history. Get off the high horse and quit acting like this is a basketball school

he's earned the job 

The regular season means fuck. If he can’t win in March with this roster then he can’t win in March.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he's earned the job 

except that we spend money on basketball like a basketball school.  That shiny new arena (despite the 'gift' by Moody/Livenation), the money we want to throw around on NIL, season ticket growth curves, practice facility which is almost done, increased travel budgets for SEC country, and probably having to overhaul most of this staff without buyouts/signing bonuses.....that's Kentucky kinda money we're gonna need to make and spend.  That doesn't happen by a huge chunk of our fan base and TV partners saying, "Meh, I guess it's not a hoops school after all."  Another Wetlich or Smart and 1st weekend bounces, and shit's gonna cool a lot around here in the next few years and we're gonna be fucked financially. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Needs to win at least 3. Odds are against him ever assembling a team this talented again. If can’t do it with these guys, the future prospects are poor. 

I agree with this except change that 3 to 4.  The rest of the comment is spot on and really the crux of this entire argument.

The statement from another thread of "fucked in the head" is correct.

Have yall been watching a different Texas basketball team than I have?  We haven't really "won in March" since Barnes.

There are at least 5 other UT athletics programs that are consistently higher performers than the basketball team.  And it's nothing against the basketball program.  Every so often, it's been full of promise, but in the end we always come up short...no matter who has coached us.  And we are not going to be able to money-whip our way to a championship or even a dynasty...so unless any of yall are donating millions to the university, you need to get that expectation out of your heads.

Enjoy what we have.  We recently had a hot coach build up the team over this past year, we then found out that coach and his woman like to beat the fuck out of eachother.  We kicked that idiot to the curb, and his remaining assistants have led the team to a #2 seed in the tournament, which we 6 been that high since 2008.  And the team fucking loves him.  Everyone should happy.  And RT and the rest of the staff have more than earned the right to keep their jobs for next year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The problem is, you can't just give him the job for the next year. You have to give him a 5-year contract or it will hamstring our recruiting.  I think that is the central issue.  Of course we have more money than anyone, so even a big buyout shouldn't be a problem.

At a school that is as progressive as we are, I can't imagine Rodney Terry doesn't already have the job. CDC doesn't even want to face the backlash that the leadership at Belmont and the media frenzy will create if Terry doesn't get the job. Racism is just not something the university will accept--they will defer to the opposite, just to be sure it doesn't get hurled. If this was Tech or A&M, they'd not think one thing about it...but here, we wont.

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, JWinTX said:

At a school that is as progressive as we are, I can't imagine Rodney Terry doesn't already have the job. CDC doesn't even want to face the backlash that the leadership at Belmont and the media frenzy will create if Terry doesn't get the job. Racism is just not something the university will accept--they will defer to the opposite, just to be sure it doesn't get hurled. If this was Tech or A&M, they'd not think one thing about it...but here, we wont.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 6

If he get's out of the first round, I think he gets the job (as long as the 2nd round exit isn't a blow-out to A&M). 

A little refresher of our success:

Year Seed Round Reached Coach
2022 6 Second Round Chris Beard
2021 3 First Round Shaka Smart
2020     Shaka Smart
2019     Shaka Smart
2018 10 First Round Shaka Smart
2017     Shaka Smart
2016 6 First Round Shaka Smart
2015 11 First Round Rick Barnes
2014 7 Second Round Rick Barnes
2013     Rick Barnes
2012 11 First Round Rick Barnes
2011 4 Second Round Rick Barnes
2010 8 First Round Rick Barnes
2009 7 Second Round Rick Barnes
2008 2 Elite Eight Rick Barnes
2007 4 Second Round Rick Barnes
2006 2 Elite Eight Rick Barnes
2005 8 First Round Rick Barnes
2004 3 Sweet 16 Rick Barnes
2003 1 Final Four Rick Barnes
2002 6 Sweet 16 Rick Barnes
2001 6 First Round Rick Barnes
2000 5 Second Round Rick Barnes
1999 7 First Round Rick Barnes
1998     Tom Penders
1997 10 Sweet 16 Tom Penders
1996 10 Second Round Tom Penders
1995 11 Second Round Tom Penders
1994 6 Second Round Tom Penders
1993     Tom Penders
1992 8 First Round Tom Penders
1991 5 Second Round Tom Penders
1990 10 Elite Eight Tom Penders
1989 11 Second Round Tom Penders

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If he get's out of the first round, I think he gets the job (as long as the 2nd round exit isn't a blow-out to A&M). 

This team bowing out in round 2 is a failure. We’ve never had such an experienced team like this. They’re built for a deep run, not a one and done performance  

I don’t think people understand at all. A 2 seed losing in the second round is just further proof he can’t be the guy. It won’t get better. He shouldn’t even be considered 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What does A&M have to do with anything?

That's exactly their brand man.  "We're A&M?  Why are we here, what do we have to do with anything?  We must insist upon ourselves.  They're the Dava Carvey as Adm. Stockdale of College Athletics.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

We definitely needed another shitty Rodney Terry thread. Good job OP. 

I would have added it to the other Rodney Terry thread if I could.

I think the poll adds a lot to the conversation and provides some novel and surprising information.  There are a few LOUD posters who are making it seem like only an idiot would support hiring RT regardless of what he does.  In fact there is a pretty clear bell curve around the Elite 8 being the bar that needs to be crossed, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem with hiring Terry is you can't offer some type of 2 year contract.  You have to give him a 4 to 5 year contract and some type of competitive rate.  Is he really worth that given his coaching history?

sure he could end up being Steve Fisher(without the scandals) but probably unlikely.

I'd rather say we are going to go get the best coach we can regardless of what Terry does.  If he makes the Final 4 I'm sure he gets hired though.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

2020     Shaka Smart
2019     Shaka Smart
2017     Shaka Smart
2013     Rick Barnes
1998     Tom Penders
1993     Tom Penders

wow. smart missed the tournament as many times in 6 years as we had in the previous 23

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

2020     Shaka Smart
2019     Shaka Smart
2017     Shaka Smart
2013     Rick Barnes
1998     Tom Penders
1993     Tom Penders

It shows we made it to at least elite 8 when we were seeded #2 or better.

4 hours ago, Hornlover said:

So I guess you're saying that Rodney Terry would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator? 

He’s already proven to be a mediocre head coach at Fresno State and UTEP with a 0.511 winning percentage.

Probably would have finished his career here as an assistant if Beard isn’t a moron.

• Fuck You 10

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I would have added it to the other Rodney Terry thread if I could.

I think the poll adds a lot to the conversation and provides some novel and surprising information.  There are a few LOUD posters who are making it seem like only an idiot would support hiring RT regardless of what he does.  In fact there is a pretty clear bell curve around the Elite 8 being the bar that needs to be crossed, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

I mean I'm seeing the same comments in this thread that I've seen for months. 

The poll is interesting. Would be nice if you could just add a poll inside an existing thread. 

Not hating, just... observing. 

2 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

He’s already proven to be a mediocre head coach at Fresno State and UTEP with a 0.511 winning percentage.

Probably would have finished his career here as an assistant if Beard isn’t a moron.

Being a pessimistic doucher doesn't really add anything to the discussion. It just shows everyone that you have a very stinky pussy and that you're miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 2