What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

19 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If he get's out of the first round, I think he gets the job (as long as the 2nd round exit isn't a blow-out to A&M). 

A little refresher of our success:

Year Seed Round Reached Coach
2022 6 Second Round Chris Beard
2021 3 First Round Shaka Smart
2020     Shaka Smart
2019     Shaka Smart
2018 10 First Round Shaka Smart
2017     Shaka Smart
2016 6 First Round Shaka Smart
2015 11 First Round Rick Barnes
2014 7 Second Round Rick Barnes
2013     Rick Barnes
2012 11 First Round Rick Barnes
2011 4 Second Round Rick Barnes
2010 8 First Round Rick Barnes
2009 7 Second Round Rick Barnes
2008 2 Elite Eight Rick Barnes
2007 4 Second Round Rick Barnes
2006 2 Elite Eight Rick Barnes
2005 8 First Round Rick Barnes
2004 3 Sweet 16 Rick Barnes
2003 1 Final Four Rick Barnes
2002 6 Sweet 16 Rick Barnes
2001 6 First Round Rick Barnes
2000 5 Second Round Rick Barnes
1999 7 First Round Rick Barnes
1998     Tom Penders
1997 10 Sweet 16 Tom Penders
1996 10 Second Round Tom Penders
1995 11 Second Round Tom Penders
1994 6 Second Round Tom Penders
1993     Tom Penders
1992 8 First Round Tom Penders
1991 5 Second Round Tom Penders
1990 10 Elite Eight Tom Penders
1989 11 Second Round Tom Penders

Which makes it even funnier that more than half of the votes said Elite Eight or beyond for consideration for the HC position. My only concern with Terry is can he recruit? He's obviously proven he can coach, you couldn't insert any random schmuck into Terry's position and expect Texas to finish 5th despite what some of the surly "experts" claim.

Basically as I said in the recruiting thread, we are at a tipping point where getting rid of Terry may provide more negatives in the eyes of recruits about Texas, than the positive aspects of a big name hiring splash.  As quite frankly I think the team thinks it's Terry's team.  I also think that success breeds 1000 fathers, failure none.  We could have gone right down the rat hole.  Scratching by fucking Rice, barely getting by OU who is not even in the NCAAs, and then getting fucking hammered by K-State...it could have gone bad. And I think that is underestimated, by most folks.  But I bet it's not what any of the players on our team think.

Anyhow voted for sweet 16.  Simply as in my mind it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process.  If Terry sucks in year two it's not like we can't give him with a big buyout and try to make that coaching splash. IF he shits the bed vs Colgate, I think it opens the door a lot more to an exit.  I also think that no matter what happens there are gonna be a lot of folks on the other side.  I was honestly surprised that so many thought a 16 or 8 finish was necessary.  Simply as we haven't had many of those. 

I will say that if he gets two wins and we fire Terry, I can't honestly think of a hire big enough to offset the negative perceptions of canning him. So damed if we do, damned if we don't to some degree. IMHO flame away

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chad said:

Which makes it even funnier that more than half of the votes said Elite Eight or beyond for consideration for the HC position. My only concern with Terry is can he recruit? He's obviously proven he can coach, you couldn't insert any random schmuck into Terry's position and expect Texas to finish 5th despite what some of the surly "experts" claim.

He can recruit. If there’s one thing he’s shown over the course of his career, it’s that he can recruit. I don’t think he’s the wunderkind recruiter some people describe him as, but he’s definitely good. It’s not just convincing, either. He can identify talent and he’s good at establishing relationships. 

I also don’t think this season’s results demonstrate what you think it does, but reasonable minds can agree to disagree. It will all come out in the wash eventually anyway. 

I’ll also say that being the head coach is more than simply recruiting and coaching. Can he manage a roster? Can he make good hires? How does he handle tensions in the locker room or among the staff? Maybe he proves to be amazing at it. But there’s nothing he’s shown so far that indicates it. Personally, I don’t think he’s up to the task, but I’ve said that repeatedly. 

At this point I’m all in on a deep run that secures him the job, and then things will work out from there. One way or another. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Basically as I said in the recruiting thread, we are at a tipping point where getting rid of Terry may provide more negatives in the eyes of recruits about Texas, than the positive aspects of a big name hiring splash.  As quite frankly I think the team thinks it's Terry's team.  I also think that success breeds 1000 fathers, failure none.  We could have gone right down the rat hole.  Scratching by fucking Rice, barely getting by OU who is not even in the NCAAs, and then getting fucking hammered by K-State...it could have gone bad. And I think that is underestimated, by most folks.  But I bet it's not what any of the players on our team think.

Anyhow voted for sweet 16.  Simply as in my mind it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process.  If Terry sucks in year two it's not like we can't give him with a big buyout and try to make that coaching splash. IF he shits the bed vs Colgate, I think it opens the door a lot more to an exit.  I also think that no matter what happens there are gonna be a lot of folks on the other side.  I was honestly surprised that so many thought a 16 or 8 finish was necessary.  Simply as we haven't had many of those. 

I will say that if he gets two wins and we fire Terry, I can't honestly think of a hire big enough to offset the negative perceptions of canning him. So damed if we do, damned if we don't to some degree. IMHO flame away

Hiring should be a 10 to 20 year decision. Not a next year decision. 

If he makes the Elite Eight or Final Four, that’s exactly what it is. 

But I’m not concerned with the short term impact on recruiting if Texas moves on to someone else. If they’re the right person it won’t matter. If they’re the wrong person it wouldn’t matter, either. If Terry ends up being the wrong guy, all the momentum in the world isn’t going to save him. And if someone else is the right guy, the short term difficulties will be overcome and we’ll be in good shape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, horn4life said:

For the record, I have never said that Rodney should be the guy, so you haters back off.  But, good luck, firing the coach of the year who won the toughest conference's tournament and makes the sweet 16.  Even in our best years, those weren't regular occurrences and Beard himself has had iffy regular seasons. firing a black coach of the year, who took over a very volatile situation, whom the players and recruits love, for Musselman?  Ok, good luck with that.  

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Hiring should be a 10 to 20 year decision. Not a next year decision. 

If he makes the Elite Eight or Final Four, that’s exactly what it is. 

But I’m not concerned with the short term impact on recruiting if Texas moves on to someone else. If they’re the right person it won’t matter. If they’re the wrong person it wouldn’t matter, either. If Terry ends up being the wrong guy, all the momentum in the world isn’t going to save him. And if someone else is the right guy, the short term difficulties will be overcome and we’ll be in good shape. 

I am curious why you believe this to be the case?  Or are you saying suck next year, and hope for the year after that?  Not trying to pick a fight, just I don't think we have the basketball school reputation to recruits to make this a certainty? 

21 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He can recruit. If there’s one thing he’s shown over the course of his career, it’s that he can recruit. I don’t think he’s the wunderkind recruiter some people describe him as, but he’s definitely good. It’s not just convincing, either. He can identify talent and he’s good at establishing relationships. 

I also don’t think this season’s results demonstrate what you think it does, but reasonable minds can agree to disagree. It will all come out in the wash eventually anyway. 

I’ll also say that being the head coach is more than simply recruiting and coaching. Can he manage a roster? Can he make good hires? How does he handle tensions in the locker room or among the staff? Maybe he proves to be amazing at it. But there’s nothing he’s shown so far that indicates it. Personally, I don’t think he’s up to the task, but I’ve said that repeatedly. 

At this point I’m all in on a deep run that secures him the job, and then things will work out from there

The fact that when he has a good product to sell he has been integral in bringing in some of the best talent we have had on the 40 acres.  Like I asked SL Express above, I simply do not understand the confidence that firing Terry will result in a "don't worry we will be just fine."  Texas Basketball hasn't been that good the last 10 years. So that's not where my automatic thoughts go. I think he might do pretty well selling the program to recruits, as well as retain the kids already in the fold.  IF he's gone, I think a lot of kids and future recruits will view it as a betrayal.  Not saying that is reality, but that might be the perception.  The only certainty at Texas ,is the absolute certainty that there will be a "Fire ________!" Thread the day a "permanent" hire is made.

Fuck I hope Terry and Company win the whole Damn thing, so we can all stand around and backslap each other on what a fantastic hire we have made!  

• Hook 'Em 1

High school recruiting is becoming less and less important to having success on the field. How many one and dones have materially contributed to our program in recent years? It's about how well you can recruit the star juniors and seniors in the portal who will never play in the NBA, and these guys care mostly about the NIL. 

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

For the record, I have never said that Rodney should be the guy, so you haters back off.  But, good luck, firing the coach of the year who won the toughest conference's tournament and makes the sweet 16.  Even in our best years, those weren't regular occurrences and Beard himself has had iffy regular seasons. firing a black coach of the year, who took over a very volatile situation, whom the players and recruits love, for Musselman?  Ok, good luck with that.  

Ok, so would it actually be "firing" him? The "interim" label was never removed from his job description.

In any event, USA Today had a damn good article about this situation.

Happy reading boys.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2023/03/10/texas-college-basketball-awkward-interim-coach-rodney-terry-chris-beard/11446297002/

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true.

Seriously. This is a business. Do you hire a guy who applies to be CEO of Goldman Sachs bc he had mediocre results at a couple medium sized firms running the place? Not really. 

He’s either going to earn it in the tournament or, if a big name, experienced and successful P5 coach can be lured, be passed over. If Bennett or Cronin or someone took CDC’s call with genuine interest, the numbers worked and they were legitimately going to jump, CDC isn’t going to hang up the phone, barring an Elite 8 run by Rodney. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Seriously. This is a business. Do you hire a guy who applies to be CEO of Goldman Sachs bc he had mediocre results at a couple medium sized firms running the place? Not really. 

He’s either going to earn it in the tournament or, if a big name, experienced and successful P5 coach can be lured, be passed over. If Bennett or Cronin or someone took CDC’s call with genuine interest, the numbers worked and they were legitimately going to jump, CDC isn’t going to hang up the phone, barring an Elite 8 run by Rodney. 

No I don’t but while he’s been in seat he won exec of the year.   We hired Shaka from a mid major. Beard came from a community college. Most realistic options now are mccasland and tang?

55 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And we talkin like lung, breast or pancreas cancer.  Not, like big toe cancer.

Big toe cancer is a serious disease that kills millions of little piggies every day. Please consider donating to my toe cancer awareness charity. I want everyone to know the stories of all of those toes who will never get to go to market and will never cry "Whee, whee, whee!" all the way home.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I am curious why you believe this to be the case?  Or are you saying suck next year, and hope for the year after that?  Not trying to pick a fight, just I don't think we have the basketball school reputation to recruits to make this a certainty? 

The fact that when he has a good product to sell he has been integral in bringing in some of the best talent we have had on the 40 acres.  Like I asked SL Express above, I simply do not understand the confidence that firing Terry will result in a "don't worry we will be just fine."  Texas Basketball hasn't been that good the last 10 years. So that's not where my automatic thoughts go. I think he might do pretty well selling the program to recruits, as well as retain the kids already in the fold.  IF he's gone, I think a lot of kids and future recruits will view it as a betrayal.  Not saying that is reality, but that might be the perception.  The only certainty at Texas ,is the absolute certainty that there will be a "Fire ________!" Thread the day a "permanent" hire is made.

Fuck I hope Terry and Company win the whole Damn thing, so we can all stand around and backslap each other on what a fantastic hire we have made!  

Thanks for the civil discussion.

I believe that because I think Texas is one of the premier recruiting destinations in every sport they field. They invest in facilities. It's an excellent university. They accept the bare minimum NCAA qualifying scores. They have academic degrees that accommodate student athletes of varying academic levels. The academic support is outstanding. They're willing to compensate handlers, parents, and other third parties for recruiting success, specifically in men's basketball, where it's a necessity. The NIL program is one of the most robust in the country. And it's in Austin, which is extremely difficult for most schools to compete with.

For me growing up the NBA for the longest time had only two Longhorn players in the NBA. Johnny Moore and LaSalle Thompson. For over a decade. As of the start of this past NBA season, there were 10, tied for 6th in the country. The last two portal classes have been among the best in the country, if not the best. While Barnes, Smart, and Beard were all very good recruiters, there's still a lowest common denominator. You say Texas isn't a basketball school, and that's true to a point. But it's a recruiting destination. There's a ton of local talent. The UT Longhorn brand is one of the most powerful in college sports. I'd argue it is the most powerful. If the next guy hired is the right coach, then part of being the right coach is he's going to figure out how to bring the talent on campus necessary to compete at the highest level. If he can't he'll get fired. That's how it works. 

"...I simply do not understand the confidence that firing Terry will result in a "don't worry we will be just fine." 

You won't see me saying that. To me every coaching hire is a roll of the dice. What I would say is that from my perspective I feel like I know what we're getting in Rodney Terry. Other people have a more open mind, or they're excited about what he's done with this team and so they think he'd be a good fit. I don't think he's a good head basketball coach, and I feel confident that will be shown over the next few years if he's hired. Since that's what I'd believe, I'd prefer to roll the dice with someone else and see if they'll work out, while fully admitting they might not. 

However, if he makes a deep enough run, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Plus, I'll be grateful to Coach Terry for the memory, and that will keep me warm at night as the performance on the court during his tenure ends up being pretty mediocre. 

And I'm with you. I hope he wins the whole thing and gets a statue erected in his honor. Maybe recruits a Fab Five in a year or so to go along with it, like Fisher did under similar circumstances. I'm not proud. I certainly don't want him to fail just so I can be right. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope that addresses your post. Thank you for the response. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

At this point I’m all in on a deep run that secures him the job, and then things will work out from there. One way or another. 

recruiting is really the only reason to keep him.  and you can't(or we won't) bail on him after 1 or 2 years if he sucks.  He has the built-in rebuilding excuse due to all the seniors/5th year guys on this team.

My hope is CDC is thinking long term not short term.  Of course, if we really can't get anyone significantly better then sign him up, I guess.

The issue for the AD, and Del Conte specifically, is enthusiasm. The KU game at home a few weeks, while a victory and "sell out" had empty seats and the crowd wasn't a major factor. The Moody Center wasn't cheap and it was meant to be levered into igniting a long term interest in basketball among the Texas fanbase. If a coach isn't going to be front and center in making that happen, it's a concern. Winning a bunch may make that irrelevant, but that's an argument about future results changing current issues.

We're at the point where the choice is damned near out of CDC's hands though. If Terry beats ATM and goes to the Sweet 16, he's in. A whole fucking lot of people are saying that. Lose to Colgate or PSU, probably not in. Lose to ATM and he's hitching a ride back for his stuff in Austin. It's binary now.

• Hook 'Em 5

So then it sounds like just make it to the S16 regardless of if it’s Texas agricultural & mechanical university or Penn State. 

And I do think he will have the interim tag removed, and I also believe we will be looking for a new basketball coach in 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Thanks for the civil discussion.

I believe that because I think Texas is one of the premier recruiting destinations in every sport they field. They invest in facilities. It's an excellent university. They accept the bare minimum NCAA qualifying scores. They have academic degrees that accommodate student athletes of varying academic levels. The academic support is outstanding. They're willing to compensate handlers, parents, and other third parties for recruiting success, specifically in men's basketball, where it's a necessity. The NIL program is one of the most robust in the country. And it's in Austin, which is extremely difficult for most schools to compete with.

For me growing up the NBA for the longest time had only two Longhorn players in the NBA. Johnny Moore and LaSalle Thompson. For over a decade. As of the start of this past NBA season, there were 10, tied for 6th in the country. The last two portal classes have been among the best in the country, if not the best. While Barnes, Smart, and Beard were all very good recruiters, there's still a lowest common denominator. You say Texas isn't a basketball school, and that's true to a point. But it's a recruiting destination. There's a ton of local talent. The UT Longhorn brand is one of the most powerful in college sports. I'd argue it is the most powerful. If the next guy hired is the right coach, then part of being the right coach is he's going to figure out how to bring the talent on campus necessary to compete at the highest level. If he can't he'll get fired. That's how it works. 

"...I simply do not understand the confidence that firing Terry will result in a "don't worry we will be just fine." 

You won't see me saying that. To me every coaching hire is a roll of the dice. What I would say is that from my perspective I feel like I know what we're getting in Rodney Terry. Other people have a more open mind, or they're excited about what he's done with this team and so they think he'd be a good fit. I don't think he's a good head basketball coach, and I feel confident that will be shown over the next few years if he's hired. Since that's what I'd believe, I'd prefer to roll the dice with someone else and see if they'll work out, while fully admitting they might not. 

However, if he makes a deep enough run, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Plus, I'll be grateful to Coach Terry for the memory, and that will keep me warm at night as the performance on the court during his tenure ends up being pretty mediocre. 

And I'm with you. I hope he wins the whole thing and gets a statue erected in his honor. Maybe recruits a Fab Five in a year or so to go along with it, like Fisher did under similar circumstances. I'm not proud. I certainly don't want him to fail just so I can be right. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope that addresses your post. Thank you for the response. 

I guess the only thing you and I differ on is that you believe that we are a premiere recruiting destination in Basketball.  I think "we are getting there."  

I think the Moody Center is a huge plus and is a big component it truly becoming the premiere program we want basketball to become.  I will also say that most of our sports are among the top tier in their areas of competition.  But we have probably lit the tower less for basketball than almost any of our other sports.

If you basically think Terry isn't the guy I get it.  I am not a basketball guru by any means.  Beard worked the portal masterfully.  I don't think he will be able to recreate the buzz at Old Miss though that he did at Texas. The reason I want a very hard look at Terry is I probably have a greater respect for the fact the team could have gone off the rails. I think that is heavily discounted by most folks, simply because it did not happen.  I also believe the team believes it had a lot to do with Terry.

Anyhow it's an interesting debate. Hook'em.

PS- I also have no idea if hiring Terry is really a good decision or not long term.  My argument is that we may hurt our progress if he wins a few NCAA games and we shit can him.  Simply as I cannot put a name to the coach that will say yes to our offer whose splash might eclipse was I see as potential damage from the dismissal.  And of course I could be wrong.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So then it sounds like just make it to the S16 regardless of if it’s Texas agricultural & mechanical university or Penn State. 

And I do think he will have the interim tag removed, and I also believe we will be looking for a new basketball coach in 4 years. 

And if he loses in the first round and we hire some rando we could also still be looking for a new coach in 4 years.

Trying to look into the coaching crystal ball is an impossible exercise. I thought Porter Moser was a slam dunk hire for OU and he is on his way to getting the boot after 3 years.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The issue for the AD, and Del Conte specifically, is enthusiasm. The KU game at home a few weeks, while a victory and "sell out" had empty seats and the crowd wasn't a major factor.

Were you at the game? I was not but I saw tickets for $500 on resale sites. And on TV it sure looked like a great environment.

But if you were there I'll take your word that there were empty seats and a more lackluster crowd than it appeared on TV

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Big toe cancer is a serious disease that kills millions of little piggies every day. Please consider donating to my toe cancer awareness charity. I want everyone to know the stories of all of those toes who will never get to go to market and will never cry "Whee, whee, whee!" all the way home.

toe.jpg

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Were you at the game? I was not but I saw tickets for $500 on resale sites. And on TV it sure looked like a great environment.

But if you were there I'll take your word that there were empty seats and a more lackluster crowd than it appeared on TV

Nope. What I posted is what's being said, in certain circles, at least, from people who were there and those that get to hear shit. Caveat emptor as always.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nope. What I posted is what's being said, in certain circles, at least, from people who were there and those that get to hear shit. Caveat emptor as always.

I was at the game. It was loud and the crowd seemed enthusiastic to me.  We were sitting down low right above the tunnel so I suppose it could have just been my perception. There were 2 empty seats on my row, but I don’t remember seeing  many other empty seats.

Going back to RT, to me he’s earned the job but I understand the reasons others don’t want to hire him.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I was at the game. It was loud and the crowd seemed enthusiastic to me.  We were sitting down low right above the tunnel so I suppose it could have just been my perception. There were 2 empty seats on my row, but I don’t remember seeing  many other empty seats.

Going back to RT, to me he’s earned the job but I understand the reasons others don’t want to hire him.

It was a Saturday home game against Kansas. I think we can all agree that it's expected to be loud. But like you said, there were empty seats when there shouldn't have been any, and "loud" and "enthusiastic" are solid adjectives, but compare that atmosphere to the electricity in the building for the Gonzaga game. Fair or not, the bar is higher in a lot of peoples' minds than what it apparently felt like that day. 

Regardless, it's pretty binary at this point. Del Conte has had a plan. That very likely gets thrown in the trash if Texas beats ATM and heads to the Sweet 16. They'd have to truly get embarrassed in the Sweet 16 in some bizarre way for that not to be the case. There are key guys in and around the program who absolutely want the choice to be Terry. They're all pinning everything on beating ATM or Penn State for it to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It was a Saturday home game against Kansas. I think we can all agree that it's expected to be loud. But like you said, there were empty seats when there shouldn't have been any, and "loud" and "enthusiastic" are solid adjectives, but compare that atmosphere to the electricity in the building for the Gonzaga game. Fair or not, the bar is higher in a lot of peoples' minds than what it apparently felt like that day. 

Regardless, it's pretty binary at this point. Del Conte has had a plan. That very likely gets thrown in the trash if Texas beats ATM and heads to the Sweet 16. They'd have to truly get embarrassed in the Sweet 16 in some bizarre way for that not to be the case. There are key guys in and around the program who absolutely want the choice to be Terry. They're all pinning everything on beating ATM or Penn State for it to happen. 

That's absurd.  For a team this experienced and for a 2 seed, the Sweet 16 should not be the standard.  We should be in the Elite eight and competitive in that game, at a minimum. We are talking about a head coach that has a track record previous to being handed this situation.  That track record should be considered equally if not weighed more heavily.

I know you are only passing along what you hear, so this is not aimed at you.  I'm criticizing the (lack of) thinking.

• Hook 'Em 4

We started the year ranked #12 in the pre-season AP poll.  Terry ended up getting us up to #7 in the final AP poll.  So he has already over-achieved what everyone outside of Austin thought about this team, and that was with Beard at the helm. 

If we get to a Sweet 16, we will have lived up to pre-season expectations in spite of a disastrous coaching turnover.  If we get to the Elite 8, Terry will have exceeded the expectations the AP voters had for Beard this year.

Edited by HookEm

45 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That's absurd.  For a team this experienced and for a 2 seed, the Sweet 16 should not be the standard.  We should be in the Elite eight and competitive in that game, at a minimum. We are talking about a head coach that has a track record previous to being handed this situation.  That track record should be considered equally if not weighed more heavily.

I know you are only passing along what you hear, so this is not aimed at you.  I'm criticizing the (lack of) thinking.

This is fair.

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

We started the year ranked #12 in the pre-season AP poll.  Terry ended up getting us up to #7 in the final AP poll.  So he has already over-achieved what everyone outside of Austin thought about this team, and that was with Beard at the helm. 

If we get to a Sweet 16, we will have lived up to pre-season expectations in spite of a disastrous coaching turnover.  If we get to the Elite 8, Terry will have exceeded the expectations the AP voters had for Beard this year.

So is this.

Been mentioned plenty of times, but there's a huge gap between what you think SHOULD happen in a vacuum versus what you think WILL happen with all the constraints imposed by all the politics involved.  Answering the latter, Sweet 16 gets him the job.

39 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Let's not do this.

• Fuck You 7

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I sit on row 3 behind the Tv broadcasters and both me and my friend thought the Kansas game was louder.  There were a couple of times we could not hear each other talk. Maybe louder down there as nearly all the music sounds distorted to my ears at every game. There were a few vacant seats around me but they are AD tickets. 
Sweet 16 is a pretty low bar as a 2 seed. 
A lot of meddling going on as it was with the Beard decision. Just different people doing the meddling.  The current players and some former ones are really lobbying hard. 
I suspect we will end up caving to the PR pressure and end up hiring RT.  
As always we seem dead set on being an example of too many cooks spoiling the soup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

I sit on row 3 behind the Tv broadcasters and both me and my friend thought the Kansas game was louder.  There were a couple of times we could not hear each other talk. Maybe louder down there as nearly all the music sounds distorted to my ears at every game. There were a few vacant seats around me but they are AD tickets. 
A lot of meddling going on as it was with the Beard decision. Just different people doing the meddling.  The current players and some former ones are really lobbying hard. 
As always we seem dead set on being an example of too many cooks spoiling the soup. 

Didn’t help with Dickie V lobbying for Terry 391 times during the B12 title game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

I guess the only thing you and I differ on is that you believe that we are a premiere recruiting destination in Basketball.  I think "we are getting there."  

I think the Moody Center is a huge plus and is a big component it truly becoming the premiere program we want basketball to become.  I will also say that most of our sports are among the top tier in their areas of competition.  But we have probably lit the tower less for basketball than almost any of our other sports.

If you basically think Terry isn't the guy I get it.  I am not a basketball guru by any means.  Beard worked the portal masterfully.  I don't think he will be able to recreate the buzz at Old Miss though that he did at Texas. The reason I want a very hard look at Terry is I probably have a greater respect for the fact the team could have gone off the rails. I think that is heavily discounted by most folks, simply because it did not happen.  I also believe the team believes it had a lot to do with Terry.

Anyhow it's an interesting debate. Hook'em.

PS- I also have no idea if hiring Terry is really a good decision or not long term.  My argument is that we may hurt our progress if he wins a few NCAA games and we shit can him.  Simply as I cannot put a name to the coach that will say yes to our offer whose splash might eclipse was I see as potential damage from the dismissal.  And of course I could be wrong.

IMO this team was not likely to go off the rails no matter the interim coach.  They are mature, experienced and doing this for themselves.  Actually, when the Beard news hit, I really wasn’t worried about the team this year.  It’s next year and beyond that concerned and concerns me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Didn’t help with Dickie V lobbying for Terry 391 times during the B12 title game. 

Not that it matters but I did my part to let him know what I thought of that.  Then I saw how he had to have help getting up out of his chair and felt bad. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

I've argued this position with friends who are spinning everything in the other direction. It has the feel of being fait accompli. 

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Like I said before on the KU game, I wasn't there and it was used as exemplary in regard to the gap between where Beard had things trending and where folks think Terry has the fanbase. Maybe it's people seeing what they want?

In any event, you have it pretty straight regarding the pressures on hiring Terry. The current team is definitely pushing hard. Recruits and their handlers. Staff. Famous formers. And, don't sleep on it, for whatever reason, numerous relevant folks in the media.

My personal vote in the poll was that he should have to get to the Elite 8, but I would bet all of my money on it being Sweet 16 or bust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The issue for the AD, and Del Conte specifically, is enthusiasm. The KU game at home a few weeks, while a victory and "sell out" had empty seats and the crowd wasn't a major factor. The Moody Center wasn't cheap and it was meant to be levered into igniting a long term interest in basketball among the Texas fanbase. If a coach isn't going to be front and center in making that happen, it's a concern. Winning a bunch may make that irrelevant, but that's an argument about future results changing current issues.

We're at the point where the choice is damned near out of CDC's hands though. If Terry beats ATM and goes to the Sweet 16, he's in. A whole fucking lot of people are saying that. Lose to Colgate or PSU, probably not in. Lose to ATM and he's hitching a ride back for his stuff in Austin. It's binary now.

This is what gives me some hope. The commitment to basketball is misunderstood by many people I see posting here.  I mean they were paying Beard nearly as much if not more than Sark weren’t they?  The AD has a lot on the line with basketball.  Doesn’t Coach Vic make over $2 million?

• Hook 'Em 1