What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

This is what gives me some hope. The commitment to basketball is misunderstood by many people I see posting here.  I mean they were paying Beard nearly as much if not more than Sark weren’t they?  The AD has a lot on the line with basketball.  Doesn’t Coach Vic make over $2 million?

We pay very well in all sports and will in football if necessary.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

We started the year ranked #12 in the pre-season AP poll.  Terry ended up getting us up to #7 in the final AP poll.  So he has already over-achieved what everyone outside of Austin thought about this team, and that was with Beard at the helm. 

On Dec 12th, the last poll that came out based on games Beard coached, we were #7.  So, Terry kept us flat.

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

On Dec 12th, the last poll that came out based on games Beard coached, we were #7.  So, Terry kept us flat.

Yeah but Beard would have only finished #9, probably. Terry is obviously a better coach.

I mean if a bunch of 18-23 year olds that just got here 15 min ago want him to get the job, then by all means he definitely should.

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 5

On 3/13/2023 at 11:29 AM, freyguy said:

The statement from another thread of "fucked in the head" is correct.

Have yall been watching a different Texas basketball team than I have?  We haven't really "won in March" since Barnes.

There are at least 5 other UT athletics programs that are consistently higher performers than the basketball team.  And it's nothing against the basketball program.  Every so often, it's been full of promise, but in the end we always come up short...no matter who has coached us.  And we are not going to be able to money-whip our way to a championship or even a dynasty...so unless any of yall are donating millions to the university, you need to get that expectation out of your heads.

Enjoy what we have.  We recently had a hot coach build up the team over this past year, we then found out that coach and his woman like to beat the fuck out of eachother.  We kicked that idiot to the curb, and his remaining assistants have led the team to a #2 seed in the tournament, which we 6 been that high since 2008.  And the team fucking loves him.  Everyone should happy.  And RT and the rest of the staff have more than earned the right to keep their jobs for next year.

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by PBS KIDS

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Yeah but Beard would have only finished #9, probably. Terry is obviously a better coach.

I mean if a bunch of 18-23 year olds that just got here 15 min ago want him to get the job, then by all means he definitely should.

Naw.  Let’s let a bunch of olds on a message board decide.  How do we spell Calipari again?

funny you mention 9.  Beard has had one team that finished that high

Edited by closetohumping

On 3/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, tx 3 putt said:

UT isn’t a basketball school, it has little to no history. Get off the high horse and quit acting like this is a basketball school

he's earned the job 

image.gif.364e516645eca4aea1f89150821ddb9b.gif

On 3/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Pancho said:

None of this is true.

☝️

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

We pay very well in all sports and will in football if necessary.

It's not about where we've been. It's about where we're going and what we're planning on doing to get there. Or, if I'm reading between the lines of CTJ's post, what CDC is planning.

With the talent on this roster, with this seeding and ranking, anything less than Elite 8 is underperforming. I'll be excited to win two games, personally, but we're not in this to have great seasons; we're here to try to win the whole fucking thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

☝️

It's not about where we've been. It's about where we're going and what we're planning on doing to get there. Or, if I'm reading between the lines of CTJ's post, what CDC is planning.

With the talent on this roster, with this seeding and ranking, anything less than Elite 8 is underperforming. I'll be excited to win two games, personally, but we're not in this to have great seasons; we're here to try to win the whole fucking thing.

I agree.  We should be a top ten program.  The fact that we really haven't been save a few years to me is another marble for RT and his supporters.  Sweet 16 after the mess he inherited?  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

☝️

I just don't understand who we're supposed to hire that is an outstanding basketball coach and also an outstanding promoter. Beard was a bit of a unicorn in that regard. He had a different level of gravitas in different situations because he was an alumnus, too. 

It's also not clear what happens according to CTJ's formula if Penn State beats A&M and Texas beats Penn State but loses in the Sweet 16. All other scenarios were covered. Lose to Colgate, Penn State, or A&M and no bueno. Beat A&M and the job is his. But there's still the one scenario left. I don't care. I just found it interesting. Probably being pedantic. 

I do know Tommy Lloyd, who is my current favorite (don't know if we can get him or not, but he feels at least somewhat realistic) isn't exactly oozing charisma. He's not a wallflower by any means, but he's not someone who commands the stage the way Beard did. I'm pretty much in wait and see mode. I foresaw all this angst when Terry was named the interim coach. Now that we're getting to the crucial decision point, I'm more like, "well, this is why I had mixed feelings about having success during the regular season." I mean, I'm glad we did. I'm especially glad for the players. And I'm glad for the staff, too, including Terry. 

Oh well. Round and round we go until the decision is made. Oh, and I'm sure we'll find reasons to go round and round after that, too. I do find it all interesting.

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I agree.  We should be a top ten program.  The fact that we really haven't been save a few years to me is another marble for RT and his supporters.  Sweet 16 after the mess he inherited?  

I don’t think he inherited a mess. If so, all of us should be so lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Just now, CTC2 said:

I don’t think he inherited a mess. If so, all of us should be so lucky. 

Seriously. He didn't inherit a mess; he inherited the keys to a Bugatti Chiron.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Naw.  Let’s let a bunch of olds on a message board decide.  How do we spell Calipari again?

funny you mention 9.  Beard has had one team that finished that high

Are you a RT fan or Texas fan? Do you want RT to get the job more than CDC to get the next hire right? You are comparing Beard's regular season ranking with RT's interim season while disregarding what Beard did in the post season. I just don't get this mindset of wanting RT so badly. 

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mess?  More like opportunity of a lifetime that would most likely never be available to him in his career (based on his resume). 

Given an uber experienced team with two seed talent and a chance to earn your dream job?

It’s literally a golden fucking ticket. If there is anyone quietly not mad at Beard it’s Terry. 

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory GIF

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I see the Terry champions have resorted to just making up complete bullshit to justify him being hired full time.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I just don't understand who we're supposed to hire that is an outstanding basketball coach and also an outstanding promoter. Beard was a bit of a unicorn in that regard. He had a different level of gravitas in different situations because he was an alumnus, too. 

It's also not clear what happens according to CTJ's formula if Penn State beats A&M and Texas beats Penn State but loses in the Sweet 16. All other scenarios were covered. Lose to Colgate, Penn State, or A&M and no bueno. Beat A&M and the job is his. But there's still the one scenario left. I don't care. I just found it interesting. Probably being pedantic. 

I do know Tommy Lloyd, who is my current favorite (don't know if we can get him or not, but he feels at least somewhat realistic) isn't exactly oozing charisma. He's not a wallflower by any means, but he's not someone who commands the stage the way Beard did. I'm pretty much in wait and see mode. I foresaw all this angst when Terry was named the interim coach. Now that we're getting to the crucial decision point, I'm more like, "well, this is why I had mixed feelings about having success during the regular season." I mean, I'm glad we did. I'm especially glad for the players. And I'm glad for the staff, too, including Terry. 

Oh well. Round and round we go until the decision is made. Oh, and I'm sure we'll find reasons to go round and round after that, too. I do find it all interesting.

I know it would never happen but Rick Pitino. If you interview him and you think he still wants to win a national title really badly. 3 or 4 year deal. Either way.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Are you a RT fan or Texas fan? Do you want RT to get the job more than CDC to get the next hire right? You are comparing Beard's regular season ranking with RT's interim season while disregarding what Beard did in the post season. I just don't get this mindset of wanting RT so badly. 

Have I said anywhere I want Terry to get a job?  Will you remain a Texas fan if RT gets the job?

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I see the Terry champions have resorted to just making up complete bullshit to justify him being hired full time.

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Mess?  More like opportunity of a lifetime that would most likely never be available to him in his career (based on his resume). 

Given an uber experienced team with two seed talent and a chance to earn your dream job?

It’s literally a golden fucking ticket. If there is anyone quietly not mad at Beard it’s Terry. 

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory GIF

Hey guys, ahem, Coach Beard won't be joining us today.  He was uhm, arrested.

What for coach?

Biting and choking the shit out of his wife after she broke his glasses.

Anyways, Carr, I need you to extend your defense full 94 feet.  Disu, gotta use your lower body more in boxing out and Cunningham, well Cunningham, you keep coaching out there. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know it would never happen but Rick Pitino. If you interview him and you think he still wants to win a national title really badly. 3 or 4 year deal. Either way.  

I'm liking the post because I like you, but I have no idea what to do with that, lol. 

It would be a splash. And the dude can definitely coach. He's 70. Give the man a lifetime contract. Might still be a 3 or 4 year deal. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Have I said anywhere I want Terry to get a job?  Will you remain a Texas fan if RT gets the job?

You have been pro RT for as long as I remember. Yes, we are not getting Beard back, but we have to be open to finding the best coach available rather than trying to justify hiring RT as the full time coach given our limited set of information. Why keep pushing this agenda? Yes, I will always be a Texas fan but I want to avoid being an unhappy fan by hiring an incompetent coach who may set the program back years. Like CDC says, let the season play out and not worry about who the next coach will be for now. Stop pushing the RT agenda everyday!

Edit: I will add that fans had no idea Beard was going to be hired, but it came out of the blue. Similarly, we probably have no idea who CDC might hire as the next coach. Patience, grasshopper!

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hey guys, ahem, Coach Beard won't be joining us today.  He was uhm, arrested.

What for coach?

Biting and choking the shit out of his wife after she broke his glasses.

Anyways, Carr, I need you to extend your defense full 94 feet.  Disu, gotta use your lower body more in boxing out and Cunningham, well Cunningham, you keep coaching out there. 

Nothing to do with Beard. 

It’s win three games make $10+ million dollars. He couldn't imagine this scenario happening anytime in the last 5 years. 

A deep run is worth whatever happens after, but if he can’t do it with this team he probably never will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You have been pro RT for as long as I remember. Yes, we are not getting Beard back, but we have to be open to finding the best coach available rather than trying to justify hiring RT as the full time coach given our limited set of information. Why keep pushing this agenda? Yes, I will always be a Texas fan but I want to avoid being an unhappy fan by hiring an incompetent coach who may set the program back years. Like CDC says, let the season play out and not worry about who the next coach will be for now. Stop pushing the RT agenda everyday!

Quote me where I said RT deserves the job?  Stop riding RT everyday.  This isn’t Mack brown holding the program hostage.  You’re literally on an RT thread and you’re sick of it?

you and loop1604 should go start a thread to root against Texas.   

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm liking the post because I like you, but I have no idea what to do with that, lol. 

It would be a splash. And the dude can definitely coach. He's 70. Give the man a lifetime contract. Might still be a 3 or 4 year deal. 

He’s probably the best coach in the NCAA right now, even at 70. Izzy seems to have lost his fastball and K retired. Last we saw him at a major job he was winning it all.  Now he gets a job at a shit school and he has them basically as good as they could possibly be. I think he can still coach.

He’s also immediately the biggest name and story in college basketball. that should matter and be a big deal to us with where we are at with hoops. 

I’d have to interview him, look him in the eye and see what I thought when I asked him if he wanted to give the NCAA a giant middle finger by winning another national title. If I thought he burned for that opportunity I would tell him blank checkbook for 3 years. 

I know it would never happen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Nothing to do with Beard. 

It’s win three games make $10+ million dollars. He couldn't imagine this scenario happening anytime in the last 5 years. 

A deep run is worth whatever happens after, but if he can’t do it with this team he probably never will. 

There’s a rumor that Rodney would’ve been happy just being an assistant the rest of his life.  He doesn’t care about the limelight. Now things are obviously different now and he’s possibly staring life changing money in the face so I’m sure he’s had a change of heart.  

let’s hope a few of you can still root for Texas even if he gets the job

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There’s a rumor that Rodney would’ve been happy just being an assistant the rest of his life.  He doesn’t care about the limelight. Now things are obviously different now and he’s possibly staring life changing money in the face so I’m sure he’s had a change of heart.  

I have two degrees from Texas. How many do you have? 

I survived Charlie Strong. I survived Tom Herman. I survived Gail Goestenkors. I survived Shaka Smart. I survived the end of the Barnes/Brown/Garrido tenure crashing the Ferrari into brick walls. I think I can handle 3 years of Rodney Terry 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I survived Charlie Strong. I survived Tom Herman. I survived Gail Goestenkors. I survived Shaka Smart. I survived the end of the Barnes/Brown/Garrido tenure crashing the Ferrari into brick walls. I think I can handle 3 years of Rodney Terry 

I have no idea why GG didn't do well here.  The other results didn't shock me.  

I have no idea why GG didn't do well here.  The other results didn't shock me.  

Not for this thread but didn’t keep anyone on staff with Texas ties (Mays, Davis), didn’t hire anyone with Texas ties, which pissed off alums who run the HS/AAU scene in Texas, came from a school that recruited itself more than Texas does on name alone (Duke) so she was behind the curve on how to recruit the state by leveraging the HS/AAU connections.  I believe it was Clarissa Davis who torpedoed her in the AAU scene 

Plus how good OU/Baylor/aggy was when she got here 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Add Wetlich, the part where Penders was drunk, Akers, McWilliams and Mackovic.  I am  too old to waste three more years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s probably the best coach in the NCAA right now, even at 70. Izzy seems to have lost his fastball and K retired. Last we saw him at a major job he was winning it all.  Now he gets a job at a shit school and he has them basically as good as they could possibly be. I think he can still coach.

He’s also immediately the biggest name and story in college basketball. that should matter and be a big deal to us with where we are at with hoops. 

I’d have to interview him, look him in the eye and see what I thought when I asked him if he wanted to give the NCAA a giant middle finger by winning another national title. If I thought he burned for that opportunity I would tell him blank checkbook for 3 years. 

I know it would never happen. 

Dude is a wizard. I remember reading Providence threads back when Barnes was their coach. They were complaining back then how he was no Pitino, lol. 

I do love me some Tom Izzo. Always have. 

I don't know how anyone doesn't proclaim Bill Self as the best active coach in the country right now, but I've loved that guy since he was at Tulsa. He runs exactly the kind of system on offense and defense that I love to watch. I have a feeling he'd be a teensy tough to pry from KU, though. 

Hey, pull some strings and make the Pitino thing happen! I'll give you all the credit for it.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Add Wetlich, the part where Penders was drunk, Akers, McWilliams and Mackovic.  I am  too old to waste three more years. 

Well, 77-first part of 84 Akers was pretty fun, really. I mean, that I-formation offense was boooooooooooring without Earl Campbell, even by the standards of the day. But the defense was hellacious. Penders getting drunk was a good thing. That dude had to go. He'd taken us as far as he was going to. Him recruiting Mihm was a huge mistake. That guy couldn't draw up a post offense to save his life. Or a decent half court defense, truth be told. 

And I know McWilliams didn't work out, but I still love that man. 

I'll tell you what I tell people all the time. Check out women's volleyball sometime. It's a fun sport to watch, and Texas is dominant. No commitment. Just watch one of the games this fall against a big name opponent, like when Stanford comes to town. They'll have the better team, but Texas is really good, every year. And Gregory Gym for volleyball gets crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Penders and Mackovic were very similar in that they would bring a lot of pain  throughout the season sprinkled in with some utter joy.

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Dude is a wizard. I remember reading Providence threads back when Barnes was their coach. They were complaining back then how he was no Pitino, lol. 

I do love me some Tom Izzo. Always have. 

I don't know how anyone doesn't proclaim Bill Self as the best active coach in the country right now, but I've loved that guy since he was at Tulsa. He runs exactly the kind of system on offense and defense that I love to watch. I have a feeling he'd be a teensy tough to pry from KU, though. 

Hey, pull some strings and make the Pitino thing happen! I'll give you all the credit for it.

Self has too many early exits with really good teams for me vs Pitino. It’s splitting hairs I know, but those guys are both top 5 to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I saw a recent poll that ranked Scott Drew the 4th best coach in the country. It’s hard to argue against him based on his results. Why not steal him from Baylor?

Maybe we should just hire Art Briles to coach the football team.

• Haha 1

Terry has shown he can take a talented and veteran team that was assembled by Chris Beard and win with them. Great job to do that. 

But that's not the job of the head coach going forward. That job is to build a championship roster and coach it to one. A very different job than the one he's done this year. 

Mark Adams showed last year he could interit a team built by Beard and win with ita bit like Terry has now. He showed this year he cannot build a championship roster and coach it. 

Terry should only be given the job if CDC believes that he's capable of building a championship roster on his own and leading it. It's a tough decision to make and IMO shows why it was so stupid to fire Beard when they did. Ole Miss just proved it's a non issue. He should have been suspended until the DA dropped the charges then reinstated. 

But too late now. CDC had a very difficult judgment call to make here. 

• Hook 'Em 2