What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

35 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Terry has shown he can take a talented and veteran team that was assembled by Chris Beard and win with them. Great job to do that. 

But that's not the job of the head coach going forward. That job is to build a championship roster and coach it to one. A very different job than the one he's done this year. 

Mark Adams showed last year he could interit a team built by Beard and win with ita bit like Terry has now. He showed this year he cannot build a championship roster and coach it. 

Terry should only be given the job if CDC believes that he's capable of building a championship roster on his own and leading it. It's a tough decision to make and IMO shows why it was so stupid to fire Beard when they did. Ole Miss just proved it's a non issue. He should have been suspended until the DA dropped the charges then reinstated. 

But too late now. CDC had a very difficult judgment call to make here. 

CDC picked the easy way out which would give him the least heat, like all good bureaucrats do. 

44 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Terry has shown he can take a talented and veteran team that was assembled by Chris Beard and win with them. Great job to do that. 

But that's not the job of the head coach going forward. That job is to build a championship roster and coach it to one. A very different job than the one he's done this year. 

Mark Adams showed last year he could interit a team built by Beard and win with ita bit like Terry has now. He showed this year he cannot build a championship roster and coach it. 

Terry should only be given the job if CDC believes that he's capable of building a championship roster on his own and leading it. It's a tough decision to make and IMO shows why it was so stupid to fire Beard when they did. Ole Miss just proved it's a non issue. He should have been suspended until the DA dropped the charges then reinstated. 

But too late now. CDC had a very difficult judgment call to make here. 

Is it too late?  Cdcs hands were tied.  Nobody was gonna take the job mid year.  

as for building a roster , someone upthread said he was a great recruiter 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

CDC picked the easy way out which would give him the least heat, like all good bureaucrats do. 

I think it’s pretty clear from the letters between UT’s lawyers and Beard’s lawyer that it was not CDC’s decision on whether to fire Beard. 

I understand why Beard’s lawyer took the tone he did, but I think the lack of contrition and lack of any suggestion that Beard felt bad about the situation is what ultimately doomed his tenure. The Beard Ole Miss strategy is clearly to pretend that his Texas time never happened, but that would have been a lot harder for Texas to do. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ve changed my tune on him. What he’s accomplished with this team is a really solid coaching job. We aren’t THAT good, and he held it together and produced some solid wins. If we make Sweet 16, I’m on board with giving him a relatively short term deal (can we get him on a 3-yr deal?). I like him, but he will have his work cut out for him next year with so much leaving. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I think it’s pretty clear from the letters between UT’s lawyers and Beard’s lawyer that it was not CDC’s decision on whether to fire Beard. 

I understand why Beard’s lawyer took the tone he did, but I think the lack of contrition and lack of any suggestion that Beard felt bad about the situation is what ultimately doomed his tenure. The Beard Ole Miss strategy is clearly to pretend that his Texas time never happened, but that would have been a lot harder for Texas to do. 

No, what ultimately doomed his tenure was when he decided to choke and bite his girlfriend. 

The last few posts, wishing for Pitino, Drew, or to have kept Beard are comically retarded. It's like you have absolutely zero understanding of how the athletic department and administration work at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, SL Xpress said:

No.

Ha, yeah, I didn’t see that original post so don’t know the context but in no way will we be fucked financially. 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s probably the best coach in the NCAA right now, even at 70. Izzy seems to have lost his fastball and K retired. Last we saw him at a major job he was winning it all.  Now he gets a job at a shit school and he has them basically as good as they could possibly be. I think he can still coach.

He’s also immediately the biggest name and story in college basketball. that should matter and be a big deal to us with where we are at with hoops. 

I’d have to interview him, look him in the eye and see what I thought when I asked him if he wanted to give the NCAA a giant middle finger by winning another national title. If I thought he burned for that opportunity I would tell him blank checkbook for 3 years. 

I know it would never happen. 

It won’t happen, but he’s been the best coach in college hoops for 30 years. Pitino’s issue is like Larry Brown’s issue, and also that he bangs rando South Louisville moms in restaurants. 

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I was convinced that Beard fucked BWG's wife and I'm now convinced that Terry fucked Loop's wife. 

Oh God, BWG, I'd actually pleasantly forgotten that tampon stain existed.

Fuck that guy, AND former coach Beard.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think the Patrino talk is a bit premature. 

Patron talk is never premature.

8 hours ago, Hornlover said:

No, what ultimately doomed his tenure was when he decided to choke and bite his girlfriend. 

The last few posts, wishing for Pitino, Drew, or to have kept Beard are comically retarded. It's like you have absolutely zero understanding of how the athletic department and administration work at Texas. 

It’s almost like our posts are not retarded as we all said- UT will never do this clearly demonstrating we know exactly how the AD works, but all while positing it would be a great hire if they did do so.  But then again, why bother with reading comprehension when you can call someone else a retard online. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s almost like our posts are not retarded as we all said- UT will never do this clearly demonstrating we know exactly how the AD works, but all while positing it would be a great hire if they did do so.  But then again, why bother with reading comprehension when you can call someone else a retard online. I

im glad we have standards though.   For football, I was willing to accept Urban Meyer, but not Art Briles. Everyone has a different line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Definitely would have been harder but once the DA dropped the charges the door was wide open for his claiming his innocence and that he was wronged. We knew that was coming.

Now he gets hired in early March by an SEC program and not only is Ole Miss not publicly chastised for hiring him but Texas is the one being chastised by the media and even their game announcers for not handing the keys over full time to a 3rd rate coach who voluntarily left a HC gig he was unsuccessful at to be another coach's assistant just 2 years ago. A guy who has shown zero aptitude in building a a winning program even though being considered a great recruiter. 

The University of Texas is being dragged through the media mud now. Not Chris Beard. Not Ole Miss. They need to learn from this mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The University of Texas is being dragged through the media mud now. Not Chris Beard. Not Ole Miss. They need to learn from this mistake. 

Where are you seeing this happen? As far as I can see it’s old news and not a story in either direction anywhere. 

Beard is too stupid to leave his psycho fiancé and UT did the right thing moving on. They’ll likely have worse problems in the future and ole miss will have to deal with it.

10 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’ve changed my tune on him. What he’s accomplished with this team is a really solid coaching job. We aren’t THAT good, and he held it together and produced some solid wins. If we make Sweet 16, I’m on board with giving him a relatively short term deal (can we get him on a 3-yr deal?). I like him, but he will have his work cut out for him next year with so much leaving. 

Your credibility is lost here, Rex 

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Beard is too stupid to leave his psycho fiancé and UT did the right thing moving on. They’ll likely have worse problems in the future and ole miss will have to deal with it.

That's just it. They won't have to deal with it. They'll just fire him if that happens. Once is an accident. Twice is a pattern. 

31 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Like a sportswriter said—Texas did the right thing in firing Beard at the time, but they aren’t getting rewarded for it.

They're getting punished for it. Like I knew they would back in December. 

The truth doesn't matter in today's America. It's 1) what can you do for me, 2) what can anyone prove, 3) how can we spin this in our favor. Even the last one isn't that important because you can just sit on the back burner for a couple weeks and everyone moves on to a new outrage. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

im glad we have standards though.   For football, I was willing to accept Urban Meyer, but not Art Briles. Everyone has a different line.  

Agreed. 
Pitino was exonerated after the fact and was running a hookers for recruits deal that sounds actually a little more palatable to me than the “hostesses lol for recruits scheme that most places run without acknowledging it (at least they are pros and that’s their line of work) and was banging women in the back room of his restaurant. This is basically behavior that wins people massive reputation here on Surly so while I find it problematic, eh yolo. He’s a scumbag without a doubt but not on the Art Briles JoPa level so, whatever I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed. 
Pitino was exonerated after the fact and was running a hookers for recruits deal that sounds actually a little more palatable to me than the “hostesses lol for recruits scheme that most places run without acknowledging it (at least they are pros and that’s their line of work) and was banging women in the back room of his restaurant. This is basically behavior that wins people massive reputation here on Surly so while I find it problematic, eh yolo. He’s a scumbag without a doubt but not on the Art Briles JoPa level so, whatever I guess. 

Haven't Googled Rick recently, but given what I know, I'd probably say yes to Rick.  He may be a scumbag, but I think a lot of CBB coaches are.  He's 70, so I don't think you'd have to worry about him leaving.

The absolute no brainer, #1 for me, if you can swing it is Billy Donavan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Haven't Googled Rick recently, but given what I know, I'd probably say yes to Rick.  He may be a scumbag, but I think a lot of CBB coaches are.  He's 70, so I don't think you'd have to worry about him leaving.

Jay Wright even above Donovan but yeah/ that would be my list. If I’m just calling dudes the order goes:

Jay Wright

Bill Self

Mark Few

Billy Donovan

Rick Pitino in that order. First 4 would likely say no. 5th we’d say no to. 
I’d probably hire Royal and make sure he has a well regarded top assistant with head coaching experience and call it a day if we are in the realm of Shit that could happen in the real world. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jay Wright even above Donovan but yeah/ that would be my list. If I’m just calling dudes the order goes:

Jay Wright

Bill Self

Mark Few

Billy Donovan

Rick Pitino in that order. First 4 would likely say no. 5th we’d say no to. 
I’d probably hire Royal and make sure he has a well regarded top assistant with head coaching experience and call it a day if we are in the realm of Shit that could happen in the real world. 

Not sure I can justify Royal over RT other than Royal didn't suck at Fresno and UTEP.

Donovan for me, because he's coached in the south, at a university with a very similar profile to ours and he's been every bit as successful as Jay.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Naw.  Let’s let a bunch of olds on a message board decide.  How do we spell Calipari again?

funny you mention 9.  Beard has had one team that finished that high

Actually Beard has finished #2. Polls are for losers like us, tournament performance is the only thing that matters.

How’s Rodney Terry’s historical performance in March? Asking for a friend.

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fuck yes. Hire him yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jesus Christ, the jump from Wright/Self/Few/Donovan/Pitino to….Ivey is certainly a huge leap. 

None of that is going to happen 

I’m completely aware the top 5 won’t happen. Ivey could definitely be a candidate though. He was last time around. 

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You've said this repeatedly. I think it's pretty obvious they're not together right now. I don't know why you'd keep assuming they are. 

That's not to say he shouldn't have left her sooner, but I doubt Ole Miss will have to deal with their relationship. It's his next relationship they'll be dealing with. 

Beard and Trew most likely broke up the night of the incidence. What took place afterwards was damage control on both sides and a financial settlement with an ironclad NDA that would benefit both parties. Assuming they would somehow stay together after that night because he is too stupid is idiotic. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

A guy who has shown zero aptitude in building a a winning program even though being considered a great recruiter. 

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure I can justify Royal over RT other than Royal didn't suck at Fresno and UTEP.

People keep saying that Terry sucked at Fresno, but that just isn't the case.  First, Fresno is a loser of a basketball program.  They have made 3 tournaments since 1985.  One was with Terry.  Another two by Jerry Tarkanian, but he also landed them on probation for committing NCAA violations.

Terry got them to 20 wins in 4 of his last 5 years.  And he also left a decent roster for his successor who won 23 games with Terry's players.  Now they have fallen back to 11 wins.  I have very serious doubts that Royal Ivey could do better than that at Fresno.

As to recruiting, Fresno's median recruiting class was ranked 143 in the seven years prior to Terry.  Terry's median class was ranked 83... and he also got them the 59th ranked class, by far their best class on record.

I loved Chris Beard, but the reality is that he didn't have a LONG track record of success anywhere.  Yes, he got Texas Tech to the National Title game.  He was also 36-24 in his last two years there.  He proved he is a turnaround magician, but I don't think he is stable enough to run a program for 20 years.  

Again, I think Terry needs to prove what he can do in March before I support hiring him full time. 

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Jesus. I see we're in the phase where we're just beaten down into accepting that Terry is definitely getting the job no matter what? And now we're gonna spin job his whole career as not being so bad?

The pressure is mounting publicly to hand him the job. With every win in the tournament it'll get louder. It's going to be mentioned by the announcers in every Texas game probably multiple times. It's going to be a big distraction if we keep winning in this tournament. Just a complete shitshow screw up by our administration.

Even if they didn't want to keep Beard you keep him on suspension through the end of the season so as to avoid this and keep a future conference opponent from hiring him before our season is even completed. Then fire Beard after the season once you've already worked out an agreement for a new coach. Firing him when they did was the utmost of supreme stupidity

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The pressure is mounting publicly to hand him the job. With every win in the tournament it'll get louder. It's going to be mentioned by the announcers in every Texas game probably multiple times. It's going to be a big distraction if we keep winning in this tournament. Just a complete shitshow screw up by our administration.

Even if they didn't want to keep Beard you keep him on suspension through the end of the season so as to avoid this and keep a future conference opponent from hiring him before our season is even completed. Then fire Beard after the season once you've already worked out an agreement for a new coach. Firing him when they did was the utmost of supreme stupidity

I mean, who cares? Have we learned nothing about the media cycle through all of this? No matter what you do, it will be forgotten in 5 minutes. Hire Terry, awesome! 5 minutes later, nobody cares. Don't hire Terry, OMG how could they! 5 minutes later, nobody cares.

Making a decision like this based on how you think others will react is incredibly dumb. And it kind of ensures a compromised decision.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

You can't keep him on in the hopes that he doesn't get indicted especially when the person who had the most say in whether that was going to happen is unstable.  That's asking for an even bigger shit sandwich.  The fact that things worked out in Beard's favor doesn't change any of that because it wasn't guaranteed.  The only way Texas could ensure they were going to avoid any more embarrassment was firing him.  Hope is what got Chris Beard in to his mess in the first place.

Edited by kevwun

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You can't keep him on in the hopes that he doesn't get indicted especially when the person who had the most say in whether that was going to happen is unstable.  That's asking for an even bigger shit sandwich.  The fact that things worked out in Beard's favor doesn't change any of that because it wasn't guaranteed.  The only way Texas could ensure they were going to avoid any more embarrassment was firing him.  Hope is what got Chris Beard in to his mess in the first place.

The minute she publicly recanted and stated she lied it was 100 percent guaranteed the DA wouldn't press to indict. He was still suspended at that time. They absolutely should have known how this was going to turn out at that moment. I did. Others here did too. 

If they didn't then they're incompetent. 

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I mean, who cares? Have we learned nothing about the media cycle through all of this? No matter what you do, it will be forgotten in 5 minutes. Hire Terry, awesome! 5 minutes later, nobody cares. Don't hire Terry, OMG how could they! 5 minutes later, nobody cares.

Making a decision like this based on how you think others will react is incredibly dumb. And it kind of ensures a compromised decision.

It's a major distraction on the team for this tourney run that should have been avoided. The players are talking about it. That distraction only gets worse the farther they get in the tourney. If we're lucky it lights a fire and motivates the players, but it also has the bigger possibility of doing the opposite and making them tight. 

Have you ever dealt with a crazy person?  There is nothing that is 100% guaranteed.  Beard chose to keep her around and look where it got him.  It's ridiculous to expect Texas to stay involved with their situation when they had a way out.

Edited by kevwun

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Do you really think the calls to hire RT would be lessoned if Beard he was having all this success while Beard was currently indefinitely suspended?  There would still be the same articles, just with the added component of criticisms of Texas for not firing Beard.  Not to mention the fact that Beard's lawyer would have been even more annoying saying that Texas was being unfair in suspending his entirely innocent client.

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's a major distraction on the team for this tourney run that should have been avoided. The players are talking about it. That distraction only gets worse the farther they get in the tourney. If we're lucky it lights a fire and motivates the players, but it also has the bigger possibility of doing the opposite and making them tight. 

LOL at the thought that the distraction on the team would be lessoned if Beard was currently still suspended.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The minute she publicly recanted and stated she lied it was 100 percent guaranteed the DA wouldn't press to indict. He was still suspended at that time. They absolutely should have known how this was going to turn out at that moment. I did. Others here did too. 

If they didn't then they're incompetent. 

It’s not a distraction. if anything, they are playing harder to prove he should be the coach. The B12 title celebration easily showed you that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

There are so many things wrong in this post it's hard to even know where to begin

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Definitely would have been harder but once the DA dropped the charges the door was wide open for his claiming his innocence and that he was wronged. We knew that was coming.

Now he gets hired in early March by an SEC program and not only is Ole Miss not publicly chastised for hiring him but Texas is the one being chastised by the media and even their game announcers for not handing the keys over full time to a 3rd rate coach who voluntarily left a HC gig he was unsuccessful at to be another coach's assistant just 2 years ago. A guy who has shown zero aptitude in building a a winning program even though being considered a great recruiter. 

You think Bellmont gives a shit either way As long as the $$$ keep rolling in, they don't give a fuck about winning championships. Just like football.

The SEC move is going to be a rude awakening, but even then they probably won't care. Fuck you, pay me. Just like it's always been.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Jesus. I see we're in the phase where we're just beaten down into accepting that Terry is definitely getting the job no matter what? And now we're gonna spin job his whole career as not being so bad?

It's what we do. Then in 3-4 years, we'll be left with a new shiny arena and no banners of course- looking for a new coach after yet another failed G5 head coach experiment in one of our major sports.

This could define CDC's tenure here if this goes sideways- and it will if we hire RT. Who am I kidding, Bellmont doesn't care. Just keep that money rolling in baby.

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Beard's attorney and agent knowing they successfully brainwashed people like Hermanator into believing that Texas is somehow the shitshow in this whole situation

tenor-92767458.gif.829be2d3813b05fbec5c77497469e62c.gif

That's not what I said at all. Texas did the morally correct thing in firing him. They're paying the price for it now and will going forward. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Do you really think the calls to hire RT would be lessoned if Beard he was having all this success while Beard was currently indefinitely suspended?  There would still be the same articles, just with the added component of criticisms of Texas for not firing Beard.  Not to mention the fact that Beard's lawyer would have been even more annoying saying that Texas was being unfair in suspending his entirely innocent client.

Yes. The players wouldn't be asked about Terry being the head coach and wouldn't be talking about it if Beard was still the coach. Now that could be it's own distraction but they could be rallied to win for the guy who brought them here as well as the guy who's had to lead them under bad circumstances. But more than anything they wouldn't be facing the pressure to give Terry a job that wouldn't be open. 

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Have you ever dealt with a crazy person?  There is nothing that is 100% guaranteed.  Beard chose to keep her around and look where it got him.  It's ridiculous to expect Texas to stay involved with their situation when they had a way out.

As the head coach of an SEC school? That will be in prime position in a couple of years to stick his foot so far up our ass on the court we'll taste sneaker? Yeah, he's really been punished alright. 

The more talented you are at a highly marketable skill the more you can fuck up and still come out smelling like roses. 

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s not a distraction. if anything, they are playing harder to prove he should be the coach. The B12 title celebration easily showed you that. 

I really hope so. That is best case scenario here, but there was zero pressure in the Big 12 tourney. Nothing but maximum pressure now.