What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think a big factor that we are missing here is when this season is done, regardless of where we finish, is what the players will say about Terry when they are questioned by the powers that be.

I cannot imagine any of them not wanting him to be the coach going forward.

I think that carries a lot of weight.

Should it carry that much weight? I remember Paul Boyette fighting back tears in defense of Charlie Strong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Should it carry that much weight? I remember Paul Boyette fighting back tears in defense of Charlie Strong. 

I remember the Tech players after Beard left demanding Mark Adams be the guy. Then they matriculated out and the new guys demanded he be fired 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

Serious question. What’s the downside of pursuing Scott Drew? Hiring him will win more than a couple of News cycles, not to mention a butt load of games.

12 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The downside is he might say no.

Or even worse, he might say yes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Pretty good coach once he stopped running that stupid zone defense. He’s just slimy and associated with Baylor 

He’s a big time college bb coach. That’s his calling. If Drew can win a national championship at scandal plagued Baylor, imagine what he could do at Texas.

Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well 2 of our dream candidates lost in the first round to double digit seeds. Fuck it just hire Rodney

I take that as they’ve already talked to CDC and had Texas on their mind so they weren’t fully concentrated.

At least that’s what other teams (aggy) say

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

With the way Barkley is talking, it sounds like UT will be dragged through the mud if they don’t hire Rodney lol. I still cant fucking believe we’re in this situation and to add insult to injury we have to play against the guy when we move to the SEC. 

It don't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I think part of this is that Texas is held to a different standard than schools like Ole Miss

No we aren't. By who? 

Can't take half measures. Either you want to be a winning program in the 2 money men's sports or you want to be squeaky clean and sit on a high horse. You can't have both, and if it's the latter then they went to the wrong fucking conference. 

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

No we aren't. By who? 

Can't take half measures. Either you want to be a winning program in the 2 money men's sports or you want to be squeaky clean and sit on a high horse. You can't have both, and if it's the latter then they went to the wrong fucking conference. 

Imagine if the roles were reversed and Texas hired Beard following his arrest?  The media shitstorm would be exponentially larger than it has been for Ole Miss. 

I don’t know how or why the decision to fire Beard was made. I think from the perspective of maximizing the basketball program’s chances for success and fuck everything else it did not make much sense to let him go when they did.  Maybe they knew it was likely that several of the allegations were true and they weren’t comfortable maintaining a relationship with him any longer irrespective of the irrationality of such a move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think so at all. I don't think outside of Texas anyone would give a shit. It's the world we live in. Winning at (almost) any cost is expected. 

I mean Alabama, the highest profile football school in the country, is playing a guy who was recently an accessory to murder and never even sat him a game! Yet when it comes down to it what punishment are they getting for that?

When was the last time a big time winning program was severely punished for cheating? The 80s?

3 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

I think part of this is that Texas is held to a different standard than schools like Ole Miss, but maybe the bigger part is that the media is that media has such a short memory that Beard’s incident has already been memory holed. 

Yep.  We are moving to a conference where domestic violence that involves somebody you are fucking also means that it involves somebody you are related to by blood.

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

Destroying the Aggies to make the sweet 16 should seal a 3 year contract

Penn State doing pretty good job of that.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, Dbeasy said:

I just finished my bracket and was surprised by my picks. I  think there is a very good chance Texas doesn’t get past A&M. And Marquette has a path to the final. 

I suddenly really like our chances of getting past A&M.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Both the FDU and FAU teams look well-coached. We've had great success hiring mid-major guys before. Let's take another shot at an up-and-comer.

waynes world GIF

You want to turn the keys over to one of the biggest basketball programs sitting in one of the best recruiting grounds that's about to transition to a new conference over to some low level dude who lucked out and won 1 game yesterday? 

Once again, it's not all about who gets hot and wins a couple of games. Even for Terry. We hired Shaka based off of that and it was a horrible fit. It has to be a guy who can handle the spotlight and pressure here while having the talent to build successful rosters through recruiting and transfers. 

Chris Beard was the perfect hire in that regard. We won't find anyone as good at that as him (why it was stupid to prematurely fire him). But we have to find someone close. Throw the bank at a Cronin or Drew. This program is at a point where it can't risk taking a flyer on a low level Shaka/Charlie Strong/Tom Herman type. Much less the coach of Farleigh fucking Dickinson. If they get this hire wrong it throws the program back into obscurity just in time to go to the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

waynes world GIF

You want to turn the keys over to one of the biggest basketball programs sitting in one of the best recruiting grounds that's about to transition to a new conference over to some low level dude who lucked out and won 1 game yesterday? 

Once again, it's not all about who gets hot and wins a couple of games. Even for Terry. We hired Shaka based off of that and it was a horrible fit. It has to be a guy who can handle the spotlight and pressure here while having the talent to build successful rosters through recruiting and transfers. 

Chris Beard was the perfect hire in that regard. We won't find anyone as good at that as him (why it was stupid to prematurely fire him). But we have to find someone close. Throw the bank at a Cronin or Drew. This program is at a point where it can't risk taking a flyer on a low level Shaka/Charlie Strong/Tom Herman type. Much less the coach of Farleigh fucking Dickinson. If they get this hire wrong it throws the program back into obscurity just in time to go to the SEC. 

Good call and review, but I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

I was being facetious. 

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You Got Me GIF by HULU

Yeah i misread it. With the stupid shit that has been posted in this thread by people who watch 1 half of 1 Texas basketball game per year it was completely believable

Seriously, I think Terry MUST win today to have a shot at being hired long-term.

At least, I hope that's the case. But, anything short of Elite 8 with this roster is a disappointment IMO. No, IDGAF if "the players love Terry".

Edited by DFW Horn

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Seriously, I think Terry MUST win today to have a shot at being hired long-term.

At least, I hope that's the case. But, anything short of Elite 8 with this roster is a disappointment IMO. No, IDGAF if "the players love Terry".

I just don’t know what CDC does. At this point we know: 

We aren’t prying Self from KU

Oats is too toxic to touch

Stevens and Donovan ain’t leaving the pros

Wright is not coming out of retirement 

Bennett, Lloyd just got majorly upset in round 1 (yet again for Bennett)

Mid-major hire isn’t really CDC’s MO (May, McCasland, Mills)

Muss likely isn’t a candidate 

Cronin’s buyout is HUGE

First year head coaches like Tang don’t have much of a track record to base a hire off of

Ivey has no results or resume to go off of, but he could be a really good assistant hire if Ogden does back to his Ops role for Terry

Rodney had middling results at UTEP/Fresno, but he’s done well with this roster, he recruits well, the players love him, most of the assistants and eligibility returnees would stay with him and the 2 highly recruited commits would likely stick to him

In summary;

Loren Idk GIF by TLC

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I just don’t know what CDC does. At this point we know: 

We aren’t prying Self from KU

Oats is too toxic to touch

Stevens and Donovan ain’t leaving the pros

Wright is not coming out of retirement 

Bennett, Lloyd just got majorly upset in round 1 (yet again for Bennett)

Mid-major hire isn’t really CDC’s MO (May, McCasland, Mills)

Muss likely isn’t a candidate 

Cronin’s buyout is HUGE

First year head coaches like Tang don’t have much of a track record to base a hire off of

Ivey has no results or resume to go off of, but he could be a really good assistant hire if Ogden does back to his Ops role for Terry

Rodney had middling results at UTEP/Fresno, but he’s done well with this roster, he recruits well, the players love him, most of the assistants and eligibility returnees would stay with him and the 2 highly recruited commits would likely stick to him

In summary;

Loren Idk GIF by TLC

CDC is first and foremost a fund-raiser. 2nd he's a politician trying to appease the BMDs and UT administration. Lucky for him, he's both charming and diplomatic.

You're not supposed to know what CDC is doing behind the scenes, but it's fun to speculate. Did you have Sarkisian as your pick for the football hire? What about Pierce?

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Did you have Sarkisian as your pick for the football hire?

No, but CDC didn’t hire him. He didn’t hire Pierce either. 

Schaefer, White, Floreal, Beard were all shockingly good surprises. It’s just hard to see who the shockingly good hire is for MBB this time around. But I do like to be surprised. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Schaefer, White, Floreal, Beard were all shockingly good surprises. It’s just hard to see who the shockingly good hire is for MBB this time around. But I do like to be surprised. 

What's your definition of a shockingly good hire? A coach who goes to final 4 this year or someone who has built a top prgrom over the past few years? Fans fall in love with the latest flash in the pan, who we all know, doesn't work out most of the times. I agree with you that there are no obvious splash hire this time around.

Edited by UTEE97

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How was hiring Beard "shocking" or much of a surprise, when he's a UT alumnus.