What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

Just now, UTEE97 said:

What's your definition of a shockingly good hire? A coach who goes to final 4 this year or someone who has built a top prgrom over the past few years? Fans fall in love with the latest flash in the pan who we all know don't work out most of the times. I agree with you that there are no obvious splash hire this time around.

The latter. CDC typically has hired P5 program builders who were in contention nearly every year to win their conference and a national championship. They were shockingly good bc no one really thought they’d leave good programs they built (Miss St WBB, Oregon softball, Kentucky T&F) to come to Texas. I just don’t see who that is this year…

Just now, DFW Horn said:

How was hiring Beard "shocking" or much of a surprise, when he's a UT alumnus.

Were you on this board when that happened? I’d say the amount of people who seriously thought we’d get Beard was pretty low. People were quickly resigning themselves into believe it was going to be Ivey. 

• Like 2

Just now, Js1 said:

Were you on this board when that happened? I’d say the amount of people who seriously thought we’d get Beard was pretty low. People were quickly resigning themselves into believe it was going to be Ivey. 

Yes, of course. My only surprise was we didn't fuck it up somehow. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The latter. CDC typically has hired P5 program builders who were in contention nearly every year to win their conference and a national championship. They were shockingly good bc no one really thought they’d leave good programs they built (Miss St WBB, Oregon softball, Kentucky T&F) to come to Texas. I just don’t see who that is this year…

Those coaches are unicorns in MBB. I can only think of 2-3 guys who consistently win both in the regular season and the tourney and two of them are retired (coach K and Jay Wright). Only Bill Self is left who fit this criteria ( even though he has had a few early exists). All other remaining good coaches make the tourney often and probably make occasional deep runs. It's incredibly hard to consistently win in the tourney.

Edited by UTEE97

I have no dog in this hunt, but if he gets the job that’s fine. If he doesn’t that’s alright as well. I have read many of the comments for and against keeping him long-term. Is Rodney Terry being the coach going to have such an effect on your personal life that he has to go or you’ll go into a deep depression or be perpetually angry that he stays? Is this basketball program that important to your well-being and worth as a person? 

If he is not retained will there be fans so mad about it that they’ll not support a hypothetical new coach just because they wanted Terry to have the job? Whatever will happen will happen. It’s just basketball. A game played by some college athletes who are now getting  paid a little bit for the time they spend entertaining you. It’d be awesome to see Texas win a title or at least get back to a Final Four again, but man the hand-wringing over a coach is just kinda odd to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I have no dog in this hunt, but if he gets the job that’s fine. If he doesn’t that’s alright as well. I have read many of the comments for and against keeping him long-term. Is Rodney Terry being the coach going to have such an effect on your personal life that he has to go or you’ll go into a deep depression or be perpetually angry that he stays? Is this basketball program that important to your well-being and worth as a person? 

If he is not retained will there be fans so mad about it that they’ll not support a hypothetical new coach just because they wanted Terry to have the job? Whatever will happen will happen. It’s just basketball. A game played by some college athletes who are now getting  paid a little bit for the time they spend entertaining you. It’d be awesome to see Texas win a title or at least get back to a Final Four again, but man the hand-wringing over a coach is just kinda odd to me.

oh go suck your own cock on your high horse motherfucker.

this is a message board where we discuss shit.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

This post isn’t the flex you think it is. In fact, it really makes no sense. You have no dog in this hunt but you’re confused as to why people want/don’t want a certain coach? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This post isn’t the flex you think it is. In fact, it really makes no sense. You have no dog in this hunt but you’re confused as to why people want/don’t want a certain coach? 

It isn’t a flex. I don’t care to do that. I am attempting to figure out why there is so much attention given to a head coach that may or may not keep his job. I am just being honest in saying it’s odd to me to read this. Same as the football forum constantly being pissed at Sarkisian. 

I do believe Texas is probably best served in hiring an entire new staff and head coach no matter what happens the rest of the tournament, but if they don’t it doesn’t matter.   Just enjoy the games and the guys playing. 

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

That includes Terry, correct?

If he can't build a successful program with his own guys. He hasn't shown it before but I don't know the guy so I don't know if he can do it here. Hopefully CDC knows and makes the right decision. 

A big part of Terry's ability to win here is his ability to attract the best talent that will fit together to form the best team. Shaka brought a bunch of talent here but it didn't fit. Beard knows how to bring talent that fits and it's why we're here as a 2 seed with a 20 pt first round win only 2 years after the biggest embarrassment in program history. 

A final 4 run/championship game/national title win here instantly gives Terry that clout on a national level to attract talent. Can evaluate it correctly? We don't know. 

• Haha 1

It isn’t a flex. I don’t care to do that. I am attempting to figure out why there is so much attention given to a head coach that may or may not keep his job. I am just being honest in saying it’s odd to me to read this. Same as the football forum constantly being pissed at Sarkisian. 

I do believe Texas is probably best served in hiring an entire new staff and head coach no matter what happens the rest of the tournament, but if they don’t it doesn’t matter.   Just enjoy the games and the guys playing. 

We should focus more on the only thing that matters: the eventual heat death of the universe.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

And I think we are doing that. The only people getting massively upset are the pro-Terry crowd who will probably start crying if we don’t hire him. The “we like Terry but prefer another coach” crowd has mostly said if we keep Terry it’s basically an “oh well, we will support him but also believe he will flame out in 3 years and we will be right back here again”—except for Loop 1604, that bro is fucking nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And I think we are doing that. The only people getting massively upset are the pro-Terry crowd who will probably start crying if we don’t hire him. The “we like Terry but prefer another coach” crowd has mostly said if we keep Terry it’s basically an “oh well, we will support him but also believe he will flame out in 3 years and we will be right back here again”—except for Loop 1604, that bro is fucking nuts. 

When I think of this situation the first that comes to mind is Mike Davis at IU. To me this has that feel, especially if Terry keeps winning. Considering the circumstances of having to take over for a coward that hits a woman I think he’s done an admirable job, but ultimately I feel that long-term Texas is better served with a complete reset once the season ends. 

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the explanation of your stance.

Edited by UpperWestside

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This summarizes the entire thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

oh go suck your own cock on your high horse motherfucker.

this is a message board where we discuss shit.  

I agree with the sentiment, but maybe it’s not the best cut down, because sucking your own dick, while it’s been suggested might make you gay, would probably be pretty awesome. I started drinking about an hour ago, so I don’t know if this makes sense. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

When I think of this situation the first that comes to mind is Mike Davis at IU. To me this has that feel, especially if Terry keeps winning. Considering the circumstances of having to take over for a coward that hits a woman I think he’s done an admirable job, but ultimately I feel that long-term Texas is better served with a complete reset once the season ends. 

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the explanation of your stance.

Let me guess - you’re a Cloak Room regular….

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Is Rodney Terry being the coach going to have such an effect on your personal life that he has to go or you’ll go into a deep depression or be perpetually angry that he stays?

...Uhm, yes? Obviously. That's what being a fanatic is about, man.

• Like 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

Not really. We would’ve paid urban way more than sark

While true to a point, there’s a reason 3 year contracts aren’t standard. You’re immediately handicapping him in recruiting because it signals your coach may not even be there the entire time you are.

There’s no reason not to give him 4-5 years if you hire him. If it’s clear he wouldn’t work out after 3, just pay the buyout. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

You can't give him a 3 year deal.  If you decide he's the guy, pay him like he's the guy.

I think it depends on what happens next weekend. OK, he's probably got the job. Make the Elite 8, and you're talking a real contract. Make the Final Four, and you're talking a good real contract. Make the finals, and you'd better open up the wallets. Win the whole thing? The job is his until he chokes a bitch.

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

While true to a point, there’s a reason 3 year contracts aren’t standard. You’re immediately handicapping him in recruiting because it signals your coach may not even be there the entire time you are.

There’s no reason not to give him 4-5 years if you hire him. If it’s clear he wouldn’t work out after 3, just pay the buyout. 

There's always a reason not to do it.

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

I think it depends on what happens next weekend. OK, he's probably got the job. Make the Elite 8, and you're talking a real contract. Make the Final Four, and you're talking a good real contract. Make the finals, and you'd better open up the wallets. Win the whole thing? The job is his until he chokes a bitch.

There's always a reason not to do it.

I disagree-I see no reason. Either hire him or don’t. Half-measures aren’t good for anyone. Just fire him if it comes to that, paying a buyout is better than setting him up to fail.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I disagree-I see no reason. Either hire him or don’t. Half-measures aren’t good for anyone. Just fire him if it comes to that, paying a buyout is better than setting him up to fail.

Agreed. A three-year contract won't work with recruits and building back the program. So either pay the man his money or find someone else. And I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I've seen his previous head coach experience and I know it's bad. I also know that these last couple of weeks have been fun as hell. My son and I are living and dying with every second of every game and it hasn't been that way for a while in Texas football or basketball.

• Like 1

Just a list of thoughts concerning RT up to this point.   

1) RT has shown he can keep things on track and moving forward even when things get screwy.

2) I wish he had more of the Beard showmaster/carnival barker in him that went so far to reignite the fire in UT basketball with promotions and ideas like Greg Gym night.  Maybe he has those skills but hasn't been given a green light, or maybe he's just been too busy.

3) He has a good staff around him, one that Beard assembled, and I am sure they assisted in putting this group of players together.  Can they keep doing that, or was Beard somehow the master configurer?   And from what I hear just a few are joining Beard.

4) Like Hermanator said, Austin offers him a whole lot of recruiting advantages he didn't have at UTEP or Fresno.  And certainly his rapport with the current team will work to his advantage.  Apparently his staying wouldn't run off any recruits already committed.

5) He seems like a pretty solid non-slimy fellow and a good ambassador for UT.   But then we are entering a conference that pays little respect to how slimy a coach is as long as he has a winning record.  

6) Maybe he hasn't brought the two freshmen along as quickly as he could have, but they haven't really regressed either.  Mitchell and Morris both have shown flashes, just not consistently.  At the same time they have bought into being part of a team, and not individuals like Tre Mitchell and others in the recent past. 

I can see the arguments not to keep him, but at the same time I can see some pretty good upside to keeping him too.   This team has a great chemistry, and bringing in a new staff and players would put us back at square 1, much less with the smears that would come from not keeping a successful guy at the helm.   

The question is is this RT's team, or is it Beard's team since he was at the helm when it was assembled?  Has it morphed into RT's team or is there too much of Beard's imprint still on it?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m softening my stance. At this point go ahead and give him a 3 Year deal with one stipulation. He must change those frames. I cannot stand those glasses. Either go full Poindexter or go with something unique that gives him a style or signature look. Right now it looks like his Mother picked those frames.  Those frames are total birth control. Those frames don’t fuck.

• Haha 1

The problem here is Rodney Terry inherited a top 10 team built by someone else through a combination of recruiting and aggressive use of the transfer portal.  Can Rodney Terry duplicate that?  We simply don’t know.  To be fair, we also don’t know how much of Chris Beard’s current roster resulted from Beard, UT’s massive advantage in the NIL age, or moving into a brand new stadium or some combination of all three.  It’s the AD’s job to assess and know the answers to these questions to facilitate whatever decision he ultimately makes

17 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

I’m softening my stance. At this point go ahead and give him a 3 Year deal with one stipulation. He must change those frames. I cannot stand those glasses. Either go full Poindexter or go with something unique that gives him a style or signature look. Right now it looks like his Mother picked those frames.  Those frames are total birth control. Those frames don’t fuck.

Finally, a reasonable post 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The problem here is Rodney Terry inherited a top 10 team built by someone else through a combination of recruiting and aggressive use of the transfer portal.  Can Rodney Terry duplicate that?  We simply don’t know.  To be fair, we also don’t know how much of Chris Beard’s current roster resulted from Beard, UT’s massive advantage in the NIL age, or moving into a brand new stadium or some combination of all three.  It’s the AD’s job to assess and know the answers to these questions to facilitate whatever decision he ultimately makes

I tend to think it was mainly Beard, so let's just win the whole fucking thing this year and watch the future play out.