What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not really relevant, although fans think it is.  Terry is going to get the job.  And it’s not because they don’t think they could get somebody much better (they could).

If they think they can get someone "much better" then they need to do that.

9 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Agreed. A three-year contract won't work with recruits and building back the program. So either pay the man his money or find someone else. And I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I've seen his previous head coach experience and I know it's bad. I also know that these last couple of weeks have been fun as hell. My son and I are living and dying with every second of every game and it hasn't been that way for a while in Texas football or basketball.

Do you know it's bad? Are you sure? Or are you just parroting what you've read in this thread.

How many of his Fresno State games did you watch? What was it about his UTEP roster construction that you think was wanting?

Which part was so bad about taking over a terrible MWC team with a losing record and guiding them to a winning record over 7 seasons, including an NCAA tournament appearance and a .660 winning percentage over his last 3 years?

I don't know if he's the answer, but there's reason to believe that he might be a good coach.

We obviously know that Texas has been in touch with some guys in the portal, but I’d be interested to know just how far down the road they are with some guys or how much back channeling is going on. One of the crappy parts of the portal is it basically rewards teams who don’t make the tournament or get bounced early because they can host visits, do in-homes, etc. and penalizes the ones who go deep or have late coaching changes.

If Terry and the staff already have a guy or two lined up or have been communicating with heavily, that would be noteworthy. Any new coach basically wouldn’t be starting until early April now and would come in with unknowns in the portal and with the 2023 signees.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Tell me who the coaches are that have shown interest.

Outside of Calipari, at least two of the other names are not honestly believable. I’d have to see it happen first. 

That all considered, I’m assuming Terry gets a 5 year deal after last night’s win. Good for him, if so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Terry has already done what it takes, stop acting like there is some bigger fish more deserving of the job. Terry led this team to the Sweet 16 for the first time in nearly two decades, a 2nd place finish in the conference narrowly missing out on first and a conference tourney crown. What the hell else does he have to do to prove he deserves this job? This has been the most enjoyable basketball season since 2008. Feel free to come back and throw it in my face if I'm wrong, but at a minimum Texas is going to the Elite 8. If they draw Houston I feel confident that the final 4 wouldn't be out of reach.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, PilotsError said:

oh go suck your own cock on your high horse motherfucker.

this is a message board where we discuss shit.  

Don’t you usually just neg everyone?

You negged a comment I made last night that included a mention of my best friend tragically dying when I was 24

You are a sad, pathetic, miserable piece of shit. Fuck off 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Do you know it's bad? Are you sure? Or are you just parroting what you've read in this thread.

How many of his Fresno State games did you watch? What was it about his UTEP roster construction that you think was wanting?

Which part was so bad about taking over a terrible MWC team with a losing record and guiding them to a winning record over 7 seasons, including an NCAA tournament appearance and a .660 winning percentage over his last 3 years?

I don't know if he's the answer, but there's reason to believe that he might be a good coach.

So many haters of Terry here because he ruined both Fresno and UTEP.   

then I looked up their history. Turns out both programs suck with or without Rodney. 

Utep hasn’t won it all since Don Haskins was the coach.  Fresno was only good when Paul George was roaming the campus

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of Calipari, at least two of the other names are not honestly believable. I’d have to see it happen first. 

That all considered, I’m assuming Terry gets a 5 year deal after last night’s win. Good for him, if so. 

I don’t see why they are having to go five year. He’d take it at four, and that’s enough to solidify recruiting. However, maybe it’s so they can lower the terms in the first two years? Not sure how that helps if you are on the hook for the total, but they did the same with Sark so there must be a rationale. 

edit: just realized they can then take advantage of another year of offset pay by any other coaching job he takes. So yes, five year could make sense. 

Edited by Dbeasy

30 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Thank you for your insight. Enjoy your Sunday.

I didn’t recognize your handle either, yet there you are with thousands in rep. For those of us not living in the CR, when you rubes climb out of it and show up on a sports board to tell us how you have it straight and we’re all doing it wrong, you stick out like a sore thumb. I clicked your profile just to be sure and there it is - the majority of your posts are in the Cloak Room, where you’re also getting all of your pos rep. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chad said:

Terry has already done what it takes, stop acting like there is some bigger fish more deserving of the job. Terry led this team to the Sweet 16 for the first time in nearly two decades, a 2nd place finish in the conference narrowly missing out on first and a conference tourney crown. What the hell else does he have to do to prove he deserves this job? This has been the most enjoyable basketball season since 2008. Feel free to come back and throw it in my face if I'm wrong, but at a minimum Texas is going to the Elite 8. If they draw Houston I feel confident that the final 4 wouldn't be out of reach.

16 fucking years between sweet 16 visits. Almost, once a fucking generation

like it or not, this is something special. Enjoy it 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There aren’t any tens in Fresno.  El Paso is known for public hand jobs

I thought EP was known for public *mountain hillside* hand jobs?

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F2fcb95a3c40e9085621dfacba0ae9d27%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D13736151&hash=2961e6bab9f2968904a98ac20bb85f88

Good girl.

Edited by Shaggy3.0

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

College basketball stars are likely to be one and done. They don’t give a fuck who’s the head coach two years after they leave 

Okay but you don't start recruiting them as as seniors. Generally you have elite prospects on your radar when they're freshman and the recruiting begins not long after that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

College basketball stars are likely to be one and done. They don’t give a fuck who’s the head coach two years after they leave 

I mean this is actually not true at all. Texas is full of college stars that aren't one and dones. In fact, our perceived one and dones are the two worst players on the team right now, and both need one or two more years to develop. Holland and Johnson will likely need two years in college to get ready for the NBA. Holland definitely needs a 3 point game or he's not likely to be in the NBA for long.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Okay but you don't start recruiting them as as seniors. Generally you have elite prospects on your radar when they're freshman and the recruiting begins not long after that. 

you start paying their aau coaches when they’re in middle school 😂😂😂

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I didn’t recognize your handle either, yet there you are with thousands in rep. For those of us not living in the CR, when you rubes climb out of it and show up on a sports board to tell us how you have it straight and we’re all doing it wrong, you stick out like a sore thumb. I clicked your profile just to be sure and there it is - the majority of your posts are in the Cloak Room, where you’re also getting all of your pos rep. 

Again thanks for your insight here. Not real sure what you’re going for, but enjoy the rest of the day with whatever you do.

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

16 fucking years between sweet 16 visits. Almost, once a fucking generation

like it or not, this is something special. Enjoy it 

These rides in the tourney are really cool because you just don’t know when another one is going to happen. Hard to believe it has been that long since a Sweet 16 trip for UT.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mostly just enlightenment. Seems like it worked, so I’ve done my good deed for the month. 

Okay sure. Thanks again. Next time a question is asked be adult enough to respond like an adult. Pancho gave me an answer like an adult would. That sufficed. You brought up things that have zero to do with what was asked. I get that’s how this board works the majority of the time, but that’s up to you how you act or respond. Be well.

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

These rides in the tourney are really cool because you just don’t know when another one is going to happen. Hard to believe it has been that long since a Sweet 16 trip for UT.

hiring a basketball coach is damn hard. it’s a damn ‘dirty’ sport 

15 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Okay sure. Thanks again. Next time a question is asked be adult enough to respond like an adult. Pancho gave me an answer like an adult would. That sufficed. You brought up things that have zero to do with what was asked. I get that’s how this board works the majority of the time, but that’s up to you how you act or respond. Be well.

You wrote two long ass paragraphs with no teeth, virtue signaling at the board with passive aggressive advice on how we should be putting basketball into a greater perspective. You deserved to be mocked. Following it up with posts with this kind of tsk tsking silliness and passive aggressive nonsense like “be well” only adds to the unintentional humor. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You wrote two long ass paragraphs with no teeth, virtue signaling at the board with passive aggressive advice on how we should be putting basketball into a greater perspective. You deserved to be mocked. Following it up with posts with this kind of tsk tsking silliness and passive aggressive nonsense like “be well” only adds to the unintentional humor. 

Ok whatever asshole.  Hope you had a great weekend and that your Monday is off to a good start.  Per our last conversation.....

8 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Prior to his interim gig at Texas, in his 10 years as a head coach, he posted a record of 163-152 with one tournament appearance(a loss). That is as average as you can get. If you think Terry is the man for the job based on what he has done this season, fine. But its ridiculous to suggest that his HC record prior to this year supports him coaching at a top school. Which probably is why I never heard his name mentioned one time for top coaching gigs that opened up the last few seasons.

Its easy to buy into the feel good story, etc... but in a few weeks whoever holds the role of head coach at Texas will have to basically rebuild the roster and possibly the coaching staff. Is Terry the best guy for that assignment given our resources? I have my doubts.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chad said:

Easy there

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Prior to his interim gig at Texas, in his 10 years as a head coach, he posted a record of 163-152 with one tournament appearance(a loss). That is as average as you can get. If you think Terry is the man for the job based on what he has done they season, fine. But its ridiculous to suggest that his HC record prior to this year supports him coaching at a top school. Which probably is why I never heard his name mentioned one time for top coaching gigs that opened up the last few seasons.

Its easy to buy into the feel good story, etc... but in a few weeks whoever holds the role of head coach at Texas will have to basically rebuild the roster and possibly the coaching staff. Is Terry the best guy for that assignment given our resources? I have my doubts.

100% correct. He shouldn’t have the job if we can get someone better and I’d be shocked if we can’t get someone better. I know he’s going to get the job and just like the optics were horrible for UT not to can Beard they are horrible here to not retain RT. And maybe it will work, though I too have serious doubts. I know I’m going to root like hell for it to work. 
I just hope that RT gets a 5 year/20M contract and his buyout is something like 6M or less and loses 1M every anniversary. If that’s the case he has the 5 year deal for recruiting and we can cut ties with him for couch cushion money after year 2 if he’s clearly in over his head. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Prior to his interim gig at Texas, in his 10 years as a head coach, he posted a record of 163-152 with one tournament appearance(a loss). That is as average as you can get. If you think Terry is the man for the job based on what he has done this season, fine. But its ridiculous to suggest that his HC record prior to this year supports him coaching at a top school. Which probably is why I never heard his name mentioned one time for top coaching gigs that opened up the last few seasons.

I could've literally named 50 guys I wanted who are more "deserving" of the job than RT before he took over.  It was a hard no.  I still say swing for the fences and if you can land a Donavan, Cal, Mussellman, etc, do it.

However.  Imagine if this were sales.  Rodney failed miserably, y'alls words, not mine, at two shitty companies with no resource.  He's now at a place with top ten resources . His boss choked the shit out of his wife and he's handed the keys with no promises for next year, just hold the fort down until we find someone worthy.  Like it or not, and I know many on this thread probably don't, Rodney just lead the sales team to their best year in 15 years, yes, with someone else's hires, but he got them to buy in.  That counts for something.  He Stunk at FSU and UTEP, again, y'alls words, but he hasn't here.  A case can be made to give him the job.  15 years.  

Also, we're worried if he can recruit like Chris can.  He apparently is great at identifying and recruiting talent.  The fact he couldn't land them at FSU and UTEP, I won't hold against him. 

Before any of the RT detractors have an aneurysm, I still say we swing for the fences, but him being our coach isn't the end of the world and I hope you find a way to root for him as, unlike a lot of coaches, he seems kind of likable.

As for Chris, fuck him.  Yes, great coach, but his last 3 years, he's landed 18,18 and 22 wins, with double digit losses. 

We can do a lot better than RT but maybe we can do a lot worse.  Anyone know where Duke is playing next weekend?

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not sure I'd want Calipari in the age of NIL. He had great teams cause he bought great players, but he's also lost a lot of tournament games when he had a much superior roster than his opponent.

If we could get Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, or Mark Few - then sign me up.

Otherwise, let's roll with RT. He's certainly looked capable of coaching this year.  And the most important thing is having the best talent. He's got a lot working in his favor to be able to attract the top players here:

• A deep tourney run gives him coaching cred
  • He relates well with the players
  • Texas has huge NIL advantages
  • He's extremely likable, if a bit milquetoast
  • Not for nothing - but a black head coach can only help

Can we have a poll about whether or not we should have another Rodney Terry thread?  

I have to admit, I thought the team was gonna come unglued last night with about 6:00 to play.  I don't know who to credit, besides everybody.  But facts remain.  He gets us to hanging a brand, new silky smooth Final Four banner in our shiny, new building.....he gets a 3-year deal.  He conks out in the Sweet 16 next Friday versus Xavier, I never heard of the guy.  Elite 8 is where it gets tricky.  Those banners are nice and all...but they can get a tad expensive.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:53 PM, UpperWestside said:

It isn’t a flex. I don’t care to do that. I am attempting to figure out why there is so much attention given to a head coach that may or may not keep his job. I am just being honest in saying it’s odd to me to read this. Same as the football forum constantly being pissed at Sarkisian. 

I do believe Texas is probably best served in hiring an entire new staff and head coach no matter what happens the rest of the tournament, but if they don’t it doesn’t matter.   Just enjoy the games and the guys playing. 

Trying to figure out why people are posting about keeping or firing Rodney Terry in the keeping or firing Rodney Terry thread. Impressive, even by Surly standards.

Surly-Collection.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Before any of the RT detractors have an aneurysm, I still say we swing for the fences, but him being our coach isn't the end of the world and I hope you find a way to root for him as, unlike a lot of coaches, he seems kind of likable.

I'll root for whoever the coach is after they are selected, because I root for Texas, and I wont have a choice. Hell I still hope Sark succeeds, and I think he's a clown. But at this stage, when a decision has not been made publicly, I voice my preference to not hire Terry because I think we can do better. If he ends up being the guy, I'll root for him. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'll root for whoever the coach is after they are selected, because I root for Texas, and I wont have a choice. Hell I still hope Sark succeeds, and I think he's a clown. But at this stage, when a decision has not been made publicly, I voice my preference to not hire Terry because I think we can do better. If he ends up being the guy, I'll root for him. 

Agree.

We are at least a top ten program, we should have a top ten coach if possible. If they give him the job then I’ll be rooting heavily for him.

I just want Texas to win. So make the best choices we can to make sure we win.

He's done a fantastic job but theres a huge difference between maintaining something someone else built and building a program, recruiting players and maintaining that continuously over years. I think you have to go get a proven head coach if you can given where the program is and with Moody. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, that’s a silly thing to say. The only guy who won’t root for Terry if he’s hired is Loop1604, and he’s clearly off his rocker.

FWIW 1604 has publicly apologized and is apparently early in sobering up. I call for cutting him some slack.

• Hook 'Em 1