What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

There were 7 guys who’d wouldn’t give Rodney a job even if we win a title.   I’d guess they aren’t rooting for him.  

I think that’s reading too much into it.

I voted I wouldn’t hire him unless he made the Final Four. I’m not going to pull for him to fail if he loses to Xavier and they hire him just to satisfy my vanity over an internet poll.

I want to win. I think there are probably better options than Terry to accomplish that long-term. But if Terry is hired, I’m pulling for him. Because I want to win.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Prior to his interim gig at Texas, in his 10 years as a head coach, he posted a record of 163-152 with one tournament appearance(a loss). That is as average as you can get. If you think Terry is the man for the job based on what he has done this season, fine. But its ridiculous to suggest that his HC record prior to this year supports him coaching at a top school. Which probably is why I never heard his name mentioned one time for top coaching gigs that opened up the last few seasons.

Its easy to buy into the feel good story, etc... but in a few weeks whoever holds the role of head coach at Texas will have to basically rebuild the roster and possibly the coaching staff. Is Terry the best guy for that assignment given our resources? I have my doubts.

That's the question about consistent program building. A coach who can build does it at every level. In comparison Beard was 19-10 in 2 season at McMurray, 47-15 in 2 at Angelo State, then 30-5 at Little Rock before doing what he did at Tech. Then of course the team he built in only 2 off seasons is now in the Sweet 16. I'd feel a lot better about Terry if he showed before he could build winners at low levels. He built average teams. 

A coach has to have 3 things. 1) the eye for evaluating proper talent that fits together to form good teams 2) the clout to recruit and land that talent and 3) the ability to coach that talent to great success. 

We know Terry has #3. He's doing it now. We just don't know if he has 1 or 2. A Final 4/Title game run and especially a championship this year gives him #2. I'd feel a lot better about him if he gets that instant respect from recruits a title or title game run brings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard hasn’t been anywhere long term so we can’t measure that. We know he can build short term in a hurry. But to sustain that - don’t know.

I don’t pretend to know what greatness is. Terry kept a team together which could’ve emotionally and mentally collapsed. That’s coaching. Right now I’m going to enjoy this team and Terry this season. We can ponder why one time greats UCLA, Indians and UNC can’t seem to find a successful coach while teams like Kentucky that are loaded with talent are off and on. The hunt isn’t assured.

We don’t know what the future holds but Texas is playing at a high level right now with Terry manning the helm. And that involves coaching.  Let’s not pretend this team coaches itself off the fumes of their former HC.  They still game plan on a regular basis that involves juggling player combos to create offensive mismatches and defensive matchups, running plays, while settling guys down and adjusting a plan that requires ego buy in. That’s coaching.

If Terry can’t build then that’s a problem but he’s proving right now that he can coach talent and game plan. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, po elvis said:

I think Rodney has turned a difficult decision for CDC into a very easy one.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What will it take? What he just took. The head coaching job at Texas. 

Yup. I have voiced my concerns, but gotdamn the job he did tonight was masterful. We had those Xavier bitches crying with a couple of minutes left to play.  I was in the "show me a final 4 camp" but at this point......fuck it, hire the man. He f'n earned it.

Besides, maybe he'll offer Jay Wright a slot on the bench. 

18 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Pay Me GIF

Indeed

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yup. I have voiced my concerns, but gotdamn the job he did tonight was masterful. We had those Xavier bitches crying with a couple of minutes left to play.  I was in the "show me a final 4 camp" but at this point......fuck it, hire the man. He f'n earned it.

Besides, maybe he'll offer Jay Wright a slot on the bench. 

Indeed

The Wire Omar GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I was a skeptic.  Still likely a bad move when you look at the overall data.  I say we keep him as the interim coach.  Say something along the lines of a 5 year deal as interim coach.  Clearly he thrives with uncertainty.....

Holy shit.  I’ve got data that says he took over a team mid season and took them to the elite 8, beating one guy who many have identified as the candidate to replace him.   Derka

• Hook 'Em 1

I vote for giving him a very large contract with "outs". Reward him for the job he's already done. We can afford it.

He proved he could win with Beard's team. 

If he can effectively build and maintain his own teams, he can stay as long as he wants.

He " should" be able to do that in the short term thanks to this year's showing and the portal and NIL. 

I think he's earned the chance to try. 

Not for nothing, but it's obvious his players love him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Holy shit.  I’ve got data that says he took over a team mid season and took them to the elite 8, beating one guy who many have identified as the candidate to replace him.   Derka

Clearly my sarcasm wasn't evident.  Pay the man.  Other than someone like bd, it's hard to think of a "realistic" candidate that would prompt a pause

Past performance is somewhat irrelevant with NIL, I can’t imagine he’d fail to get top talent with this run, the pub, moody and the NIL money. 

the last three games show he can coach the tournament as well as any coach Texas has ever had and he’s one game shy of the farthest we’ve ever gone, and the performance the last 3 weeks shows he can put a stifling defense on the court and call a dynamic offense. Maybe he’s like a certain style of wine that needed more time to age. Who knows maybe this is the pinnacle. BD is a no brainer choice but appearances is a thing for Texas RT has the job. No way Texas will risk looking that bad. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 8

26 minutes ago, Acropora said:

Clearly my sarcasm wasn't evident.  Pay the man.  Other than someone like bd, it's hard to think of a "realistic" candidate that would prompt a pause

Sorry right over my head.  It’s early in SoCal.   The thing is many posters shared that sentiment.  They’re quiet now.  

I bet he can keep the staff … Texas vs Ole Miss? Players all in and a magical run vs the despair felt in December? The NIL power of Texas vs that shit heap? I’m hoping Beard has to start over and CDC breaks open the check book for for the staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

He is going to be hired so fuck it.

Recruiting is one thing but building a roster is another. Obviously you need good talent but Beard was excellent at identifying how pieces would fit and play together. I mean look at this team, there aren't many weaknesses due to how everything fits together so well, i just doubt that Terry could build a team like this on his own. It's gotta be an awesome group to coach though, and he's obviously pushing the right buttons.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I bet he can keep the staff … Texas vs Ole Miss? Players all in and a magical run vs the despair felt in December? The NIL power of Texas vs that shit heap? I’m hoping Beard has to start over and CDC breaks open the check book for for the staff.

Keeping Donewald is the big one

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve gone from indifferent as to whether they keep him to now being worried if we don’t keep him.

He took a team that was a bit inconsistent when he took over initially, to one that has won in many different ways, with and without Disu, with Carr playing well, and not so well, playing progressively stronger defense, upping the pace to let his athletes win, etc.

He’s really done a great job. That is a good Xavier team he beat without arguably his most important player. They need to give him the job, assuming player and recruiting support is there, which it seems it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

He took a team that was a bit inconsistent when he took over initially, to one that has won in many different ways, with and without Disu, with Carr playing well, and not so well, playing progressively stronger defense, upping the pace to let his athletes win, etc.

This. We’ve won 3 tournament games playing extremely different games. From hitting every 3 like we fielded a team with 3 Steph Currys, to the Disu on his back game against PSU, to doing it last night without Disu but our big 3 guards being on in the same night. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

we couldn't have fucked this whole situation up worse. who the fuck do we think we are as a basketball school? this man should have had a decent contact with incentives out the ass the second the season was over. 

now it's a fucking disaster

Nope, there was no need to make it official before the tournament.  I don’t care what Vitale and Bohls say.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Recruiting is one thing but building a roster is another. Obviously you need good talent but Beard was excellent at identifying how pieces would fit and play together. I mean look at this team, there aren't many weaknesses due to how everything fits together so well, i just doubt that Terry could build a team like this on his own. It's gotta be an awesome group to coach though, and he's obviously pushing the right buttons.

I see no proof if he can or can’t build a roster like this.  But I’ve seen enough to say he should be hired.  

23 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

we couldn't have fucked this whole situation up worse. who the fuck do we think we are as a basketball school? this man should have had a decent contact with incentives out the ass the second the season was over. 

image.jpeg.be10c022a135c8152ef8715305231c67.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So... Now that it appears he can coach and lead, let's make 'roster building' the magic that he can't perform.. We know he won't be able to build a rooster doing the tournament, so he won't be able to disprove that.

Sincerely,

Team Bitchassedness

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Some of y’all really think it unlikely RT will be able to attract top players coming off an elite 8 at worst season?

I don’t think he’ll have any trouble recruiting. Texas recruits top talent by itself. No it’s not KU/UK/UNC/Duke but it does pretty damn well for itself. 

Hell, Shaka recruited very well and had no NCAA wins at Texas to back up such good recruiting. Terry has 3 (or more) March wins and a Big 12 tournament title to recruit with. And Moody and the SEC move. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

You didn't take your pills this morning.

• Haha 1

Naysayers need to take a step back and recognize one the greatest seasons by a HC in Texas basketball history. Finished regular season 2nd in the top conference in the nation, one game behind a team that he boatraced twice to end the season. Won the conference tournament, including the aforementioned dismantling of the regular season winner.

I don't give a shit how the man fared at Fresno or El Paso. He's 22-7 and masterfully guiding Texas to its best tournament performance in 15-20 years. 

I don't give a shit what the man recruited at Fresno or El Paso. The NBA is littered with Texas alums. One thing Shaka didn't fuck up was the pipeline Barnes created (and which RT was a major reason for it existing). Texas is viewed in the eyes of the AAU circuit as an NBA stepping stone. The players will come. If we're paralleling with Steve Fischer at Michigan, he brought in the Fab 5 following his interim championship.

RT had to earn the job. He did.

• Hook 'Em 8

I'd offer him 3 years, $12 million. 

I'm happy for him. Seems like a good guy that was put in some very poor basketball locations. That said, Fresno is very close to LA/SoCal and in a decent basketball conference. He should have done more there in 7 years. 

Kind of crazy to wake up this morning, and Texas is the favorite to win the whole damned thing. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd offer him 3 years, $12 million. 

I'm happy for him. Seems like a good guy that was put in some very poor basketball locations. That said, Fresno is very close to LA/SoCal and in a decent basketball conference. He should have done more there in 7 years. 

Kind of crazy to wake up this morning, and Texas is the favorite to win the whole damned thing. 

I can easily name ten schools in California over Fresno also every pac ten and most mountain west schools.  Just because a city is in California does not make it the equivalent of Santa Monica.  

utsa is close to a lot of talent and they suck in basketball.  San Antonio is a nicer city than fresno

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Naysayers need to take a step back and recognize one the greatest seasons by a HC in Texas basketball history. Finished regular season 2nd in the top conference in the nation, one game behind a team that he boatraced twice to end the season. Won the conference tournament, including the aforementioned dismantling of the regular season winner.

I don't give a shit how the man fared at Fresno or El Paso. He's 22-7 and masterfully guiding Texas to its best tournament performance in 15-20 years. 

I don't give a shit what the man recruited at Fresno or El Paso. The NBA is littered with Texas alums. One thing Shaka didn't fuck up was the pipeline Barnes created (and which RT was a major reason for it existing). Texas is viewed in the eyes of the AAU circuit as an NBA stepping stone. The players will come. If we're paralleling with Steve Fischer at Michigan, he brought in the Fab 5 following his interim championship.

RT had to earn the job. He did.

This.  Name the last nba stars from Fresno or utep?  Paul George?  Eager Alston?

someone pointed out he should’ve done more with Boum.  Well we shut him down yesterday didn’t we?