What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

2 hours ago, troph said:

What’s the read? 

No one knows. The last “update” was most of the staff felt hurt by what beard did and that they like Austin. The only one who most likely is headed to Mississippi is Reilly, but he’s been with beard for forever. 

2 hours ago, troph said:

Past performance is somewhat irrelevant with NIL, I can’t imagine he’d fail to get top talent with this run, the pub, moody and the NIL money. 

the last three games show he can coach the tournament as well as any coach Texas has ever had and he’s one game shy of the farthest we’ve ever gone, and the performance the last 3 weeks shows he can put a stifling defense on the court and call a dynamic offense. Maybe he’s like a certain style of wine that needed more time to age. Who knows maybe this is the pinnacle. BD is a no brainer choice but appearances is a thing for Texas RT has the job. No way Texas will risk looking that bad. 

Yes.  Detractors at first said “let’s see how he does in a tournament setting” then it became “not the big 12 tournament.  Kansas didn’t want to be there let’s see how he does at the big dance” which then became “upsets happen, anyone can catch lightning in a bottle these aren’t his players”

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  Detractors at first said “let’s see how he does in a tournament setting” then it became “not the big 12 tournament.  Kansas didn’t want to be there let’s see how he does at the big dance” which then became “upsets happen, anyone can catch lightning in a bottle these aren’t his players”

Oh don’t forget “he only beat a 15 and a 10” as if we get to choose who we play. Well we just beat a 3 but I’m sure if we beat Miami, it’ll be how “weak” the E8/F4 field is so why should it count?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd offer him 3 years, $12 million. 

I'm happy for him. Seems like a good guy that was put in some very poor basketball locations. That said, Fresno is very close to LA/SoCal and in a decent basketball conference. He should have done more there in 7 years. 

Kind of crazy to wake up this morning, and Texas is the favorite to win the whole damned thing. 

Three year contracts are non starters for recruiting purposes afaik. Do college coaches ever sign 3 year contracts? 

Neither coaches nor ADs want them. 5 years minimum is the norm. A three year contract invites a tidal wave of justified negative recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Oh don’t forget “he only beat a 15 and a 10” as if we get to choose who we play. Well we just beat a 3 but I’m sure if we beat Miami, it’ll be how “weak” the E8/F4 field is so why should it count?

Yes there was that.  As if he chose those opponents.  That was also coupled with “well we’re a 2 seed.”  He had a big part in making that happen right?

but, they can always fall back on Fresno, utep and “those are Chris’s guys”

He’s won me over.  Do I think he’s better than Wright or Donavan?  No.   Do I feel like dumping him for Sean miller or mccasland?  Not really

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Naysayers need to take a step back and recognize one the greatest seasons by a HC in Texas basketball history. Finished regular season 2nd in the top conference in the nation, one game behind a team that he boatraced twice to end the season. Won the conference tournament, including the aforementioned dismantling of the regular season winner.

I don't give a shit how the man fared at Fresno or El Paso. He's 22-7 and masterfully guiding Texas to its best tournament performance in 15-20 years. 

I don't give a shit what the man recruited at Fresno or El Paso. The NBA is littered with Texas alums. One thing Shaka didn't fuck up was the pipeline Barnes created (and which RT was a major reason for it existing). Texas is viewed in the eyes of the AAU circuit as an NBA stepping stone. The players will come. If we're paralleling with Steve Fischer at Michigan, he brought in the Fab 5 following his interim championship.

RT had to earn the job. He did.

He has earned it.  Elite 8 was it for me.  Apply it to your line of work.  I’m in software sales.  RT lead the sales org to our best year in 15 years.  I don’t care about how he did at two resource strapped start ups or that someone “might be better.”   He’s done the job well and this body of work was large enough to prove it

Not his hires?  Sure but he seems to have coached them up and they love him. The guy that hired them was also arrested for beating up his wife.  Also we have two very talented reps who have said that if he stays on, they’re coming. 

Does ge have the skills to “organize” a roster?  He’s been around for some of our best teams.  Maybe he learned a thing or two?

oh also, your org may possibly be branded racist (unfairly) if you don’t hire him

all of the above, but no I’ll still pass because he couldn’t recruit in Fresno or else paso and two guys in Philly and Chicago that I don’t know might be open to interview?

ok

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

we couldn't have fucked this whole situation up worse. who the fuck do we think we are as a basketball school? this man should have had a decent contact with incentives out the ass the second the season was over. 

now it's a fucking disaster

image.gif.0c705e809c001cb46771a3b65e133a66.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

With NIL & the transfer portal now, how big of a deal is “program building”? Now you can have a roster full of experienced, developed players that are only actually in your program for 1 or 2 years. That’s never been the case before, and it definitely wasn’t the case last time Terry was a head coach. Everything has changed.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

LOL, we could win the championship and some jackholes would be like, "Well, they were Beard's players, and Rodney probably didn't go on a single recruiting trip ever, plus we didn't have to beat a 1-seed, so we still don't know if Rodney knows what a basketball is yet, pass."

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

So... Now that it appears he can coach and lead, let's make 'roster building' the magic that he can't perform.. We know he won't be able to build a rooster doing the tournament, so he won't be able to disprove that.

Sincerely,

Team Bitchassedness

What size cock we talking here?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

He is going to be hired so fuck it.

Recruiting is one thing but building a roster is another. Obviously you need good talent but Beard was excellent at identifying how pieces would fit and play together. I mean look at this team, there aren't many weaknesses due to how everything fits together so well, i just doubt that Terry could build a team like this on his own. It's gotta be an awesome group to coach though, and he's obviously pushing the right buttons.

This has already been discredited by Gerry multiple times.

Edited by HtownHorn

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

With NIL & the transfer portal now, how big of a deal is “program building”? Now you can have a roster full of experienced, developed players that are only actually in your program for 1 or 2 years. That’s never been the case before, and it definitely wasn’t the case last time Terry was a head coach. Everything has changed.

Programs built on one and done freshman like Duke and Kentucky fizzled this year while veteran rosters built on experienced transfers like Texas have strived. This is the new blueprint for success.

Meanwhile our 2 blue chip freshmen - Morris and Mitchell - have combined for 2 points in 3 tourney games.

• Rage+1 1

Some of you act like Rodney can’t recruit.  He was huge in getting guys to Texas while Barnes was here.  Some big time names that are in the NBA.  Ron Holland and AJ Johnson are not coming here without Rodney Terry.  The guy can recruit and he’s a great defensive coach.  He clearly has eye for talent as Rice was a guy Terry brought to Beard.  The players love to play for him.  He’s out coached some very good coaches head to head this season.  He understand Texas basketball probably better than any coach out there outside of Barnes.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he had very good success here.  Hell we are playing better now than we ever were under Beard.  This is the most fun I’ve had watching Texas bball since the peak Barnes years.  Guy has earned the job and has kicked ass in every way while being the interim coach.  

• Hook 'Em 8

No reason to not give him a shorter, lower salary contract with lots of incentives for performance. We can probably get him cheap on a 3 year deal and re-evaluate his coaching talent at that point. Already looks like a 10x better coach than Shaka. And it's not like there is a big name candidate beating down the door to come here. 

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Some of you act like Rodney can’t recruit.  He was huge in getting guys to Texas while Barnes was here.  Some big time names that are in the NBA.  Ron Holland and AJ Johnson are not coming here without Rodney Terry.  The guy can recruit and he’s a great defensive coach.  He clearly has eye for talent as Rice was a guy Terry brought to Beard.  The players love to play for him.  He’s out coached some very good coaches head to head this season.  He understand Texas basketball probably better than any coach out there outside of Barnes.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he had very good success here.  Hell we are playing better now than we ever were under Beard.  This is the most fun I’ve had watching Texas bball since the peak Barnes years.  Guy has earned the job and has kicked ass in every way while being the interim coach.  

I don’t think most are concerned about the recruiting rather the concern is keeping the staff together. 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

No reason to not give him a shorter, lower salary contract with lots of incentives for performance. We can probably get him cheap on a 3 year deal and re-evaluate his coaching talent at that point. Already looks like a 10x better coach than Shaka. And it's not like there is a big name candidate beating down the door to come here. 

But there may be another team (Penn State and Cal - if you believe Kirk Trolls) willing to give Terry a five-year deal, and he tells CDC, “After what I did for Texas this year, you’re giving me this?” Not to mention what a three-year deal does to perception on the recruiting trail. 

Give the man a five-year contract and pay him what Texas pays. It’s not like contracts mean that much in sports these days anyway.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Donewald's connections brought Rice to Texas with an assist from Terry, who had coached against him and Allen's brother who played with him. Beard was likely the last person to have anything to do with it. Just like with Mitchell, who Texas wasn't even recruiting until his girlfriend at the time told the coaches he'd be amicable to their contact. Disu wanted to play for Texas his entire life and Carr and Hunter were both top prospects that everyone wanted in the portal. Some of you think Beard rubbed magic pixy dust and came up with this roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Who besides Beard are the elite roster builders?

Nobody.  Just Chris.  As has been said we don’t know if Rodney could organize a roster

50 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

LOL, we could win the championship and some jackholes would be like, "Well, they were Beard's players, and Rodney probably didn't go on a single recruiting trip ever, plus we didn't have to beat a 1-seed, so we still don't know if Rodney knows what a basketball is yet, pass."

There’s 8 votes that said they wouldn’t want Rodney even if we won it all

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

No coach or agent in the country is agreeing to a 3 year incentive laden contract. Terry should fire his agent on the spot if he brings that to him to sign. This is a business and whether we want to admit it or not he will likely have options.

You either want him to be your coach or you don’t. If you try to do some cute 3 year contract because you aren’t sure and you hurt recruiting and his ability to retain/hire a quality staff, then Texas has no one to blame but themselves.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nobody.  Just Chris.  As has been said we don’t know if Rodney could organize a roster

There’s 8 votes that said they wouldn’t want Rodney even if we won it all

8 randos on a message board isn’t “quite a few” and it’s unclear why you’re getting a warrior complex over those who may not want RT regardless of what happens as that number is irrelevant.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Acropora said:

Clearly my sarcasm wasn't evident.  Pay the man.  Other than someone like bd, it's hard to think of a "realistic" candidate that would prompt a pause

your sarcasm was more than evident, cth is simply foaming at the mouth to find and call out any perceived dissenters. why my name ended up in his post i have no idea.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

No one knows. The last “update” was most of the staff felt hurt by what beard did and that they like Austin. The only one who most likely is headed to Mississippi is Reilly, but he’s been with beard for forever. 

there’s not shortage of young basketball coaching talent 

If we keep RT I won’t be mad. All I’ve ever said was IF cdc actually met with Donovan and he’s agreed to be the next coach you don’t pass that up. But I bet none of that is even true. I’ve also said you don’t make long term program decisions in a vacuum of emotion and I don’t cdc will and up to this point he’s done a great job of hiring coaches. I trust his process of letting this season play out first then making a decision. Hell maybe he’s already made one and just wants the team to stay focused. 

No doubt about it though RT has this team playing loose and confident and they are locked in. Incredible job.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

8 randos on a message board isn’t “quite a few” and it’s unclear why you’re getting a warrior complex over those who may not want RT regardless of what happens as that number is irrelevant.

Warrior?  Lulz.  Don’t be so thin skinned muchacho.  This is happening whether you or I like it or not.  I voted elite 8 btw

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you're really really invested in fighting people over this. newsflash dum dum: we're all on the same team here. everybody is happy. everybody loves rodney terry. you can stop trying to seek out fights over this. 

Hey the Derka name calling!   Triggered. Go back to painting Chris as the victim 

classic shaggy/surly. we've taken an objectively reasonable position (rodney terry's 27 year resume as a D-1 coach is not that of a serious candidate for the Texas job under normal circumstances) and turned it into, "ALL YOU SHIT TALKING MOTHERFUCKERS WHO HATE RODNEY TERRY NEED TO COME OUT OF HIDING SO WE CAN PUBLICLY TAR AND FEATHER YOIR HATEFUL ASSES, FUCK YOU!!!"

•nobody here has ever hated or rooted against rodney terry

•everyone here is thrilled with our success

•RT has absolutely earned the job

•RT would never have been on the list of top 100 candidates for the job under normal circumstances

^^^ all of this is true. you can call off the witch hunt. 

this thread reminds me of the kid who does something well in school or sports for the very first time and doesn't know how to handle it. this incessant, combative need to pound your chest and to chastise anyone who had the gall to be reasonable about this situation is embarrassing. act like you've been right* before. 

*again, while RT has no doubt earned the job, there's a reason that he left fresno state for an assistant job, as opposed to leaving fresno for the HC gig at stanford or cal- because no schools of that caliber would have ever considered him for their jobs based on his career HC record, much less a program like Texas thinking of hiring him. so you being "right" is still debatable, and definitely not worth this childish slap fight mission you're on. chill out. be happy. celebrate his success. stop talking shit to fells UT fans who had a (reasonable, pragmatic, fact based) difference of opinion. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hey the Derka name calling!   Triggered. Go back to painting Chris as the victim 

he's not a victim, just like he's not a woman abuser. but congrats on being (sort of) right for the very first time and running around to tell everyone about it. that's always a special day in a young boy's life. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

classic shaggy/surly. we've taken an objectively reasonable position (rodney terry's 27 year resume as a D-1 coach is not that of a serious candidate for the Texas job under normal circumstances) and turned it into, "ALL YOU SHIT TALKING MOTHERFUCKERS WHO HATE RODNEY TERRY NEED TO COME OUT OF HIDING SO WE CAN PUBLICLY TAR AND FEATHER YOIR HATEFUL ASSES, FUCK YOU!!!"

•nobody here has ever hated or rooted against rodney terry

•everyone here is thrilled with our success

•RT has absolutely earned the job

•RT would never have been on the list of top 100 candidates for the job under normal circumstances

^^^ all of this is true. you can call off the witch hunt. 

this thread reminds me of the kid who does something well in school or sports for the very first time and doesn't know how to handle it. this incessant, combative need to pound your chest and to chastise anyone who had the gall to be reasonable about this situation is embarrassing. act like you've been right* before. 

*again, while RT has no doubt earned the job, there's a reason that he left fresno state for an assistant job, as opposed to leaving fresno for the HC gig at stanford or cal- because no schools of that caliber would have ever considered him for their jobs based on his career HC record, much less a program like Texas thinking of hiring him. so you being "right" is still debatable, and definitely not worth this childish slap fight mission you're on. chill out. be happy. celebrate his success. stop talking shit to fells UT fans who had a difference of opinion. 

You’re asking someone to chill out?  That’s rich. How many threads have you destroyed ?  And nobody asked you to come back and answer to anything.  

for the record, you weren’t the only one that was skeptical of RT

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You’re asking someone to chill out?  That’s rich. How many threads have you destroyed ?  And nobody asked you to come back and answer to anything.  

for the record, you weren’t the only one that was skeptical of RT

Who gives a fuck if someone was? Are people not allowed to have a differing opinion than the resident know it alls on here? JFC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Agreed with everything except the "since the peak Barnes years" bit.

The team I saw last night wasn't just pounding a very good Xavier team. They were having fun doing it. We got a big lead and after the first five minutes, the game was never really in doubt, and that's with our starting big guy and biggest scorer out and our starting point guard down two bullshit fouls almost straight away.

And they're doing alley oops and dunking and having the fiercest most stifling defense, shutting down a team that averaged 81 points per game...

It was amazing and beautiful to see, and I don't even really like basketball.

It's no longer "what else he gotta do?" in my mind; it's more like, "who can stop us now?"

And yeah, we're facing nothing but great teams from this point forward and anything can happen, so I'll take nothing for granted but damn if I'm not enjoying the ride.

It's Terry's team, now.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's not a victim, just like he's not a woman abuser. but congrats on being (sort of) right for the very first time and running around to tell everyone about it. that's always a special day in a young boy's life. 

let it go GIF

• Haha 2

Yeah, I know a little football and a lotta baseball.  I don't know jackshit about basketball, but holy shit is this team fun as hell to watch right now.  They're giving it all gas, no brakes, for the man next to them.  That's it.  They love their school and their coach.  But something infectious has taken over them and they are playing each possession for one another, and doing it with a smile.  I fucking love it.  

Somebody upthread said how tightly wound Rick Barnes would have this team right now, and a fair point.  Barnes was a great coach and a better human being, but he was beyond uptight.  These guys are playing disciplined (especially on defense), but super loose too.  it's pretty wild that Miami has gotten this far and who knows about tomorrow without Disu and maybe we're due for an off night from some of our stars.  But the last 3 months with this team have been a fucking blast.  I've loved the games in person at the Moody, I've watched every minute I could at home, I've loved this tourney (since my daughter is literally beating my bracket IRL), and I love the team from Terry to the walk-ons and everybody in between. 

I am very cautiously optimistic about Miami and possibly getting to Houston.  and technically, yeah we should be in the Elite 8 as a #2 seed.  But all that to say, I cannot fucking believe where we are right now considering what broke that idle Monday in early December.  I took my daughter to that Rice game that same night and she overheard some guys next to us before the game and asked me who Coach Beard was.  And now, what's she asking me about?---what it means if Texas makes the Final Four?  FUCK YEAH!  

• Hook 'Em 3

That's the question about consistent program building. A coach who can build does it at every level. In comparison Beard was 19-10 in 2 season at McMurray, 47-15 in 2 at Angelo State, then 30-5 at Little Rock before doing what he did at Tech. Then of course the team he built in only 2 off seasons is now in the Sweet 16. I'd feel a lot better about Terry if he showed before he could build winners at low levels. He built average teams. 
A coach has to have 3 things. 1) the eye for evaluating proper talent that fits together to form good teams 2) the clout to recruit and land that talent and 3) the ability to coach that talent to great success. 
We know Terry has #3. He's doing it now. We just don't know if he has 1 or 2. A Final 4/Title game run and especially a championship this year gives him #2. I'd feel a lot better about him if he gets that instant respect from recruits a title or title game run brings. 

I believe his showing to coach talent this year should come with the added variable that the talent is very seasoned and has played together a year in the system …

I thinks he’s shown well as to adjusting in game, use of timeouts, lineup juggling, and scouting opponents’ tendencies… will that stay consistent with new players and if he loses some of his assistants?

The unknown is whether he can bring in new portal or layers and talented young guys and get them acclimated fast enough to compete for a top 3 big 12 finish and decent tourney seed…

Absent Donovan or wright being interested I think signing Terry for 4-5 years with performance incentives and a low buyout is a reasonable choice

And fuck these sportscasters for even trying to make the interim tag an issue before the season has ended and the sides have time to complete a duel diligent search and negotiate possible terms