What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve also said you don’t make long term program decisions in a vacuum of emotion and I don’t cdc will and up to this point he’s done a great job of hiring coaches. I trust his process of letting this season play out first then making a decision. Hell maybe he’s already made one and just wants the team to stay focused. 

But emotional reactionary surly is best surly?

If we’d lost in the Big12 tournament or the first two rounds, most would have been screaming for Terry’s ousting. Now we’re on a TJ Ford run and Terry is the next Coach K and CDC is a fool if he doesn’t make this man a top 5 paid coach with 5 years fully guaranteed. Wide mood swings. If we get run off the floor by Miami, watch how fast the pendulum will swing the other way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You would be a very poor businessman. Why not just pay the man his money and fully guarantee everything? It isn't my money right? 

There are many reasons you should care how he is paid. First, giving people high buyout, 5 years, with elite level pay can absolutely create complacency. Ask yourself the flip question, why would he need it to have a high buyout without incentives if he is such a stud coach? Because all coaches arent totally sure they will deliver. Why negotiate against yourself? 

Second, if we pay him too much and guarantee too much and also make too high of a buyout. It will be harder to get rid of him if he flames out. It makes it more difficult to pivot and pay a coach with an elite resume to come in and take over the program. We dont want another Shaka situation where we suffer in mediocrity because we are stuck with a big contract and a high buyout. 

Third, coaches will take notice of what is happening with Terry, they see a guy with no elite level coaching experience get an elite level contract, that will be used against you the next time you come to the table to get a good coach. The agent will say "My client has won a national championship and been successful in major conferences and Terry had nowhere near that amount of success and got XYZ as his terms. My client deserves much better than that."

And lastly, you should care if your university is being wasteful with money and making bad decisions. Salaries are already insanely inflated as it is. I would rather see us be strategic and not stupid with the money we do have. It is a pretty stupid take to say we should be reckless with money just because we have it. That's how you end up like the dipshit aggies strapped to Jimbo and pissing away millions upon millions due to piss poor decision making. 

Congrats - This is some of the dumbest shit i have ever seen posted on this site. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, victory88 said:

Some of you act like Rodney can’t recruit.  He was huge in getting guys to Texas while Barnes was here.  Some big time names that are in the NBA.  Ron Holland and AJ Johnson are not coming here without Rodney Terry.  The guy can recruit and he’s a great defensive coach.  He clearly has eye for talent as Rice was a guy Terry brought to Beard.  The players love to play for him.  He’s out coached some very good coaches head to head this season.  He understand Texas basketball probably better than any coach out there outside of Barnes.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he had very good success here.  Hell we are playing better now than we ever were under Beard.  This is the most fun I’ve had watching Texas bball since the peak Barnes years.  Guy has earned the job and has kicked ass in every way while being the interim coach.  

Team Win.

20 hours ago, Pancho said:

I don’t think most are concerned about the recruiting rather the concern is keeping the staff together. 

Goal posts movement again?

"Can he keep the team focused.'

"Can he coach?"

"Can he win?"

"Can he recruit?"

"Can he build a roster (or rooster)?"

"Can he keep the assistants?"

He can't do any of that without the opportunity.  He's done everything he's had a chance to do. At this point he's proven more than anybody else can prove in the time frame created by Beard's dismissal.

How much magic is required to just roll with it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

It could be serendipity. He could take the job and, using his success this season and his strengths, run with it and  do more great things.  
and people would say how lucky we were. Maybe they’d be right, but giving him the opportunity isn’t luck- it’s the choice to be made right now. 

yeah it could also fail. As could hiring Shaka smart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Slacks said:

"Can he coach?"

"Can he win?"

"Can he recruit?"

He can't do any of that without the opportunity.  He's done everything he's had a chance to do. At this point he's proven more than anybody else can prove in the time frame created by Beard's dismissal.

And there’s a lot of sub categories within  Each. Can he win the conference tourney?   Can he win the regular tourney.   Can he do it without Chris’s handpicked players.  Can he win the Bahamas classic?

will austin traffic drive him crazy if he decides to move out to lake Travis?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Personally I would like to have seen him fail at some bigger named programs and then “redeem” himself, first as an assistant and then successful interim here. You know the “traditional” retread coaching pathway. But I don’t think he possessed the key attributes those coaches seem to have

But I think if you had a depigmentation potion, that would allay much of the concerns around here

• Fuck You 2

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Why do you engage the fucking stooge that is shadow_operative? He is easily one of the least knowlegable basketball posters on this site.

He’s actually ok until he gets triggered.  When the name calling starts is usually the best time to disengage as he takes everything way too personal.  

so he may go in the bucket with futureman 

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

But I think if you had a depigmentation potion, that would allay much of the concerns around here

Just gotta find Michael Jackson’s old doctor.  He probably has it.   Not sure if that will help with the mumbling and disorganization 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Personally I would like to have seen him fail at some bigger named programs and then “redeem” himself, first as an assistant and then successful interim here. You know the “traditional” retread coaching pathway. But I don’t think he possessed the key attributes those coaches seem to have

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He’s actually ok until he gets triggered.  When the name calling starts is usually the best time to disengage as he takes everything way too personal.  

Just gotta find Michael Jackson’s old doctor.  He probably has it.   Not sure if that will help with the mumbling and disorganization 

Insanity. Nobody is even subconsciously critical of RT because he’s black. Y’all are making shit up.  Also, @futuremandoesn’t belong in that bucket (where I have Derka too).  If he’s there, you take yourself entirely too seriously.

I voted Sweet 16 in this dumbass thread. It amazes me Texas fans think so highly of our history that they think Billy Donovan is an option. Particularly with RT doing so well. Terry’s had the job for over a week now, and rightfully so. There is no non-emotional search going on for a pipedream. 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s dumb to use one tournament run (good or bad) as the basis to hire a coach.  

How about the fact that he can recruit?  Kept the wheels on a season when a major adverse event occurred?  Went 12-6 in conference, won that conference’s tourney, is poised to have led Texas to its first 30-win season since ‘08, and its fourth ever Final Four and first in 20 years?

What a dumb fucking post. 

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There is if he’s making the run as your coach.  Unless someone like bill self or jay Wright wants the job, and that’s who you announce as coach, it’s a shitty thing to do to take a guy that inherited a good team under bad circumstances and then took them to the E8 or better, and say thanks but that’s all we need from you now we are hiring this other guy. Players see that, coaches see that, and it effects their willingness to play and coach for you. 

guys lobbying for him a month ago as the only choice, that was premature. 

his tenures at Fresno and utep didn’t suddenly change, but those are hardly the current circumstances he finds himself in now with the Texas brand and nil and etc. 

no man can walk in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man.  -Heraclitus 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

How about the fact that he can recruit?  Kept the wheels on a season when a major adverse event occurred?  Went 12-6 in conference, won that conference’s tourney, is poised to have led Texas to its first 30-win season since ‘08, and its fourth ever Final Four and first in 20 years?

What a dumb fucking post. 

Who are you calling dumb?  He just agreed with you.

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

No, it's not. A good tournament run can be a valid basis. Win 6 games and win a national title? 

How is that dumb? 

So let's use two tourney runs. Is that better?

Edited by Asithappens

13 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Who are you calling dumb?  He just agreed with you.

You have reading comprehension issues.  Until you clear that up you’re a waste of my time. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You have reading comprehension issues.  Until you clear that up you’re a waste of my time. 

Read his post again, and then read yours, and then get back to me about reading comprehension.  Here, I'll spell it out for you.

Dude said it is dumb to make the hire based on one tournament run.  You responded with five other reasons why Terry might be qualified that have nothing to do with the tournament run, thus making his point.   

I never said that his statement was in support of Terry.  I merely stated that you both are in agreement that a tournament run alone should not be the only reason to hire a coach. 

I could argue that many coaches would be capable of taking over this team like RT and keep the wheels on. 

I don’t think their are many, almost zero available, who would then go on to win the conference tournament and make the Elite 8. 

He’s proven himself in the regular and post season as a great to elite coach. If he struggles to recruit or roster build, focus resources on that weakness, if it becomes one, because the man can coach if you give him the team to do so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

"Can he coach?"
"Can he win?"
"Can he recruit?"

Well, can he build a rooster? That’s critical info. Be kinda cool if he could.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

He literally said that Terry could win the national championship and Texas could find a better coach. There is no reason to discuss anything further with anyone this stupid. Not to mention he has the emotional maturity of Dylan Mulvaney.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There is if he’s making the run as your coach.  Unless someone like bill self or jay Wright wants the job, and that’s who you announce as coach, it’s a shitty thing to do to take a guy that inherited a good team under bad circumstances and then took them to the E8 or better, and say thanks but that’s all we need from you now we are hiring this other guy. Players see that, coaches see that, and it effects their willingness to play and coach for you. 

guys lobbying for him a month ago as the only choice, that was premature. 

his tenures at Fresno and utep didn’t suddenly change, but those are hardly the current circumstances he finds himself in now with the Texas brand and nil and etc. 

no man can walk in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man.  -Heraclitus 

People keep using Fresno State against him. Fresno State is a dogshit program that he actually took to the tournament. It's not the negative flex you guys think it is. I just look at their history and I laugh when people keep using it against him.

fresnostate.PNG

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He literally said that Terry could win the national championship and Texas could find a better coach. There is no reason to discuss anything further with anyone this stupid. Not to mention he has the emotional maturity of Dylan Mulvaney.

That’s a tough benchmark.  Alot of great coaches haven’t won it all.  

quite a few need us to make it to the finals though. 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Read his post again, and then read yours, and then get back to me about reading comprehension.  Here, I'll spell it out for you.

Dude said it is dumb to make the hire based on one tournament run.  You responded with five other reasons why Terry might be qualified that have nothing to do with the tournament run, thus making his point.   

I never said that his statement was in support of Terry.  I merely stated that you both are in agreement that a tournament run alone should not be the only reason to hire a coach. 

That’s a very odd interpretation of what his clear intent was: this successful tournament run doesn’t matter. Of course it fucking matters. I don’t agree with him, and you’re a fucking weirdo. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

That’s a very odd interpretation of what his clear intent was: this successful tournament run doesn’t matter. Of course it fucking matters. I don’t agree with him, and you’re a fucking weirdo. 

This is what I don't understand about it. This isn't a run at some other job, he's doing it at Texas. We don't have to guess what he would do if he was coaching at Texas, because he is showing us. Of course, this run matters, because he's doing it here.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

No, it's not. A good tournament run can be a valid basis. Win 6 games and win a national title? 

How is that dumb? 

So let's use two tourney runs. Is that better?

As it happens, yes, two tourney runs and two national titles is better than one. 

36 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Hmmm

Quite a stretch given he’s the biggest RT cheerleader out there. There is no contingent out there who’s anti RT because of race. It has everything to with his past HC experience, which is irrelevant at this very fucking moment. You seem to want to make this about race. I won’t ever understand people like you. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Quite a stretch given he’s the biggest RT cheerleader out there. There is no contingent out there who’s anti RT because of race. It has everything to with his past HC experience, which is irrelevant at this very fucking moment. You seem to want to make this about race. I won’t ever understand people like you. 

I thought it was tongue and cheek reference to other posters’ criticizing RT for the way he speaks. If no one has ok. I’m not going to scour the thread.  I honestly won’t lose any sleep knowing you don’t understand me

Edited by Sawbonz

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Michael Jackson had Vitiligo.... Maybe Terry will develop it after this game?

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I stand by my original post. Job is probably his, but only a final 4 would have guaranteed it. Lets take phone calls before giving it to RT

I think this may be where this is headed.  I don’t think it was a coaching issue per se but we blew it.  Gerry and Bobby said Rodney already has the job, but the bowels leak was interesting.  This one hurt.  Fml

for the record, I still think Rodney earned it but I’d a top 15 guy is available, let’s listen

Terry did the same shit that I was complaining about when he first took over and rested guys in foul trouble too soon/for too long. He did it with Brock and Bishop both in the 2H. And the repeated posting up of Timmy was dumb - first of all he isn't a good foul shooter and second of all we did Miami a favor by slowing the game down. Just not a great coaching job in the 2H.

That said, if Disu goes I think we win this game. Maybe even if Carr doesn't get banged up. But you don't get rosters like this very often. We won't have anyone as good as Carr next season and the role guys won't be as good. 

I'm fine if he gets the job - and I think he can improve as a coach - but I'm also fine if we land someone truly elite instead.

Making the FF is hard. It's about repeatedly getting to the EE because better teams lose all the time in the tourney.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1