What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think this may be where this is headed.  I don’t think it was a coaching issue per se but we blew it.  Gerry and Bobby said Rodney already has the job, but the bowels leak was interesting.  This one hurt.  Fml

for the record, I still think Rodney earned it but I’d a top 15 guy is available, let’s listen

No. You don’t listen. You hire him. This was a meltdown driven by the players that got you here. Wasn’t RT’s finest 2nd half coaching job, but shit happens when your stud big goes down and your stud PG gets an Omir knee the hammy and your stud midrange guy starts inexplicably throwing the ball to the other team. The players that got us here either weren’t available, were hobbled or didn’t execute down the stretch. Also shit happens when you get cornholed by poor officiating.  And I loathe people that bitch about refs.

There is not one fucking phone call CDC is taking or making. The job is RT’s and will likely be announced in the next week or two. A lot of y’all are smoking crack. 

10 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Terry gets the job as a placeholder for a few years but then will get the ax. Chris Beard has a few decent seasons at Ole Miss, behaves off the court and will be back

6 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Can we not get CB back? What’s the deal ?

Y’all gotta get over Chris Beard. If you’re serious, you’re being stupid and if you’re trolling, it’s not even funny.

Just now, Js1 said:

If the job is RT’s, why wait 2 fucking weeks? Announce it tomorrow 

Depends on contract negotiation which probably hasn’t started in earnest because he’s been busy. Then when do you want to announce?  Before the FF or after?  I suspect it’ll be announced this Tuesday but could be next Tuesday. 

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm fine if he gets the job - and I think he can improve as a coach - but I'm also fine if we land someone truly elite instead.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If the job is RT’s, why wait 2 fucking weeks? Announce it tomorrow 

I imagine that's what CDC will do--reveal Terry as the HC during the coming week.

And I'm fine with that. Do I have confidence that he'll sustain this level of success? No, but he's earned a shot and--let's be honest here--there don't seem to be a great many alternatives.

I don't keep Terry if it is my decision to make.  He would not have been in the discussion had he not been a bench coach here when Beard went out.  I think we have seen his ceiling. 

If Terry is the best coach we can get then there is a massive problem with the program.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, petscii said:

I don't keep Terry if it is my decision to make.  He would not have been in the discussion had he not been a bench coach here when Beard went out.  I think we have seen his ceiling. 

If Terry is the best coach we can get then there is a massive problem with the program.

I can think of 50 coaches more qualified.  I think RT did win the job and deserves a shot.  However I’ve said cdc should go big game hunting.  Ultimately an argument can be made either way 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If it’s not announced soon this week then Donovan has to be it with the nba season over in like 10 days.

Feels like it should be announced this week.  The only thing that popped up was bowels tweet

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Making the FF is hard. It's about repeatedly getting to the EE because better teams lose all the time in the tourney.  

This is the thing with a single elimination college basketball tournament. Weird shit happens. Any bar for basketball beyond "compete for the conference and get to the second weekend with regularity" is just dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

If Billy Donovan is truly an option, you have to seriously consider it.

if not, stick with RT 

Of course you do. But Billy Donavan is not an option. Any engagement Billy Donavan is having with Texas is for the sole purpose of making the Bulls commit to an extension.

Terry will likely get the job, but I doubt he sniffs this level of success again before he is canned in 3-4 years. Next year we start to see the beginning of the mean reversion. Hope we get to keep the assistants. I would like nothing more than Terry to prove me wrong. I appreciate what he has done for Texas MBB this year. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, petscii said:

Who do you think we can get?

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Of course you do. But Billy Donavan is not an option. Any engagement Billy Donavan is having with Texas is for the sole purpose of making the Bulls commit to an extension.

I don’t know shit about fuck but maybe Billy is sick of the pro game and just wants to teach and coach?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, petscii said:

Name a coach. Name any fucking coach.

We do this shit every time there is an opening. We believe we can just buy John Wooden and Nick Saban because we're Texas and the AD makes a bunch of money.

That has NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED.

Our best hire was Mack Brown... Whom people didn't want because he hadn't done enough.

(Yeah, I know everyone is going to pile on and say DKR, but that will be a whole different thread, so just skip it.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

We fell over backwards to grab Shaka after one trip to the final four. Anybody in this year’s FF you would take over RT?

I’m fine with Terry but Miamis coach was the one who took George Mason to the final four.

(He’s 73 BTW)

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Slacks said:

Name a coach. Name any fucking coach.

We do this shit every time there is an opening. We believe we can just buy John Wooden and Nick Saban because we're Texas and the AD makes a bunch of money.

That has NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED.

Our best hire was Mack Brown... Whom people didn't want because he hadn't done enough.

(Yeah, I know everyone is going to pile on and say DKR, but that will be a whole different thread, so just skip it.)

But . . . we're Texas.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t know shit about fuck but maybe Billy is sick of the pro game and just wants to teach and coach?

I can't edit but I will say I stand somewhat corrected on the extension thing. His original deal in Chicago ran through next year. I remember it being an issue over the offseason that they didn't come to an agreement but evidently they announced one. Terms not disclosed but that would give him two years left on his contract, absolute minimum. He may be pushing for a longer term commitment or raise with the Bulls getting hot right now if it was just a token year, but the extension thing is not the obvious factor I thought it was.

Honestly, between one and dones and transfer portal happenings, I feel like your roster is more stable and you do more actual teaching/coaching in the NBA.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry Hamilton on Terry and Texas moving forward

Spoiler

Congrats to the staff on a very good season. Team went through an extremely difficult situation, and the staff and players stayed together. Tip of the cap.

Rodney Terry is expected be the next head coach. The staff will very largely stay in tact, should RT want it to. And I think he will.

I'm not really going to go over the game. One, Texas had rough injury luck at the worst time. Disu out. Rice clearly hobbled, which took away his ability to cut and handle the ball against pressure, and Carr's injury did some of the same. It affected Texas defensively. And it affected how Texas attacked offensively. With all the said, not making Jordan Miller take one 18-19 footer for a 40 minute game was a mistake. And it was a bad mistake.

The future of Texas basketball has a lot of momentum. This season provides Terry and staff a real chance moving forward. The story a few days ago is a starter for those that didn't see it. https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-hoops-recruiting-new-targets-in-2023/

Texas has a lot of portal and high school interest right now, as expected. The Longhorns are working from a position of strength.

And here is why:
Texas transfers have improved as players at Texas, and have had the opportunity on a very big stage.

The Moody Center is a top notch facility in college basketball.

Texas high school basketball is extremely talent rich. Texas high school basketball is actually more talented than football in the state, but it's not a true basketball state and it's not publicized the same way. And a lot of kids are transferring out to national teams more and more., and that affects the national coverage somewhat. Texas will attract high-end talent. Then it comes down to evaluation, and fitting into a roster that will be experienced driven.

There is a very positive foundation in the program. The former players are invested publicly, with their time helping and supporting the brand. But Texas will need to produce a next wave of players in the coming years to continue that.

Portal recruiting in many ways will come down to NIL. It's just reality. No reason to run from it. That will be huge moving forward. NIL in portal recruiting is getting more aggressive.

For Rodney Terry and staff, it comes down to roster building. Always being experienced, but also developing high school prospects long term. There will not be great college teams anymore due to the NBA G-league and Overtime Elite leagues. And the next CBA will very likely take away the current age limit. It's very important to not always recruit the highest ranked prospects that are going to college. Those players will come with some unrealistic expectations due to the new found portal experience of college basketball teams. Finding the right fits, that are talented enough with the mindset on development is going to be key.

Texas will have some different recruiting and roster building goals moving forward. Texas will sign a 6-8/6-9 skilled big from high school every year that can develop with the developmental mindset. That will start in the 2024 class, unless a late 2023 becomes a reality. But it will be bigs with skill. Texas wants to play an inviting and exciting style of ball. That happens with four skilled players on the floor, and enough rebounding and rim protection. Texas will desire to have the ability to space the floor, and shoot the ball from multiple spots on the perimeter.

Texas players out of eligibility:
G Marcus Carr
G Sir'Jabari Rice
F Timmy Allen
PF Christian Bishop

Texas players for sure expected back:
F Brock Cunningham
SF Alex Anamekwe

Texas players that can return:
PG Tyrese Hunter
PF Dylan Disu
CG Arterio Morris
F Dillon Mitchell
G Rowan Brumbaugh

How many of those players will return, there is not a definitive answer there right now. It's not as easy as has eligibility and will or should return.

2023 Prospects signed:
5-star F Ronald Holland
5-star PG A.J. Johnson

I expect Texas to sign at least one more 2023 high school prospect. That could be a skilled PF, or a lengthy guard with ability off the bounce. Or both dependent on who returns.

The portal needs will be one big, should Disu return. But he can't stay healthy, so Texas may need to address that further. Texas will look for one experienced guard that is a shot maker. Where the staff fully goes in the portal will be largely dependent on who returns next season. That should play itself out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Congrats to the 2022-23 Texas team on a very good season!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I imagine that's what CDC will do--reveal Terry as the HC during the coming week.

And I'm fine with that. Do I have confidence that he'll sustain this level of success? No, but he's earned a shot and--let's be honest here--there don't seem to be a great many alternatives.

I don’t know if he can sustain this level of success. I really don’t know. But I’ll root for him, and you’re right: he’s earned the shot. Today was not on him. Frustrating as it was I can see a lot of great coaches losing that game. If it’s anyone else (and the thought is so absurd I won’t entertain it), I’d be pissed at my school for not giving him the opportunity he’s deserved. 

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I can't edit but I will say I stand somewhat corrected on the extension thing. His original deal in Chicago ran through next year. I remember it being an issue over the offseason that they didn't come to an agreement but evidently they announced one. Terms not disclosed but that would give him two years left on his contract, absolute minimum. He may be pushing for a longer term commitment or raise with the Bulls getting hot right now if it was just a token year, but the extension thing is not the obvious factor I thought it was.

Honestly, between one and dones and transfer portal happenings, I feel like your roster is more stable and you do more actual teaching/coaching in the NBA.

Naw.  Respectfully disagree.  The truly elite top ten talent types will go the route of Scoot and Victor.  College will be full of 3 year guys and mid tier talent who want to develop their game, understand that a coaches word means a lot, and wants that alumni network.  

You can’t teach nba players shit. See Russ, Ja, luka etc.  they make a shit ton of money, get coaches fired and all about that social media life. Feels like Billy wants to say fuck this shit

aldo our best nba talent is Mitchell and Morris.  Not sure guys like Allen, hunter , carr etc get top ten money.  They’re all coachable but not elite talents.  

portal won’t be bad for schools like ours.  We will rebuild quickly 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You don’t know shit about fuck, and at this point I’m thinking you’re schizo. 

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Why would the Bulls extend a guy who is 2 games under 0.500 in his tenure there?

I love RT as a person, keep him for a couple years if he can keep the recruits and team together and see what happens.  Don’t sign him to a six year contract though.  Sign him for a solid  three and see what happens. 

Edited by Hook1997

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t know if he can sustain this level of success. I really don’t know. But I’ll root for him, and you’re right: he’s earned the shot. Today was not on him. Frustrating as it was I can see a lot of great coaches losing that game. If it’s anyone else (and the thought is so absurd I won’t entertain it), I’d be pissed at my school for not giving him the opportunity he’s deserved. 

We went away from Morris after back to back 3s.  Some of it was on him.  He deserves the job.  Could we do better?  Probably.  But imo best case right now is give him the job 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You don’t know shit about fuck, and at this point I’m thinking you’re schizo. 

Cheers man

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Why would the Bulls extend a guy who is 2 games under 0.500 in his tenure there?

As a lifelong Chicago Bulls fan I see you are not familiar with the franchise.

Jokes aside (although that's not entirely a joke), his record isn't fully indicative of his performance in that he inherited a genuinely bad roster and has gotten the team to play pretty good basketball when the current roster looks like it's supposed to - with Lonzo Ball and now again with Pat Bev.

But my point is that Donavan would be using Texas as leverage in contract negotiations if there's been any contact. I'm less certain of that now but still possible.

12 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I love RT as a person, keep him for a couple years if he can keep the recruits and team together and see what happens.  Don’t sign him to a six year contract though.  Sign him for a solid  three and see what happens. 

Nobody is getting RT to sign a 3 year contract. Don’t know why that keeps getting shit out of peoples mouths.

In the day and age of NIL and the portal, half the battle is getting people to care and players to come to your program and stick around. You are seeing coaches who were strictly X’s and O’s/hardass guys in various sports who are failing because they can’t adapt to the new age of college athletics.

Terry seems to have the backing of current and former players, and that is not insignificant because that kind of stuff matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1