What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Depends on contract negotiation which probably hasn’t started in earnest because he’s been busy. Then when do you want to announce?  Before the FF or after?  I suspect it’ll be announced this Tuesday but could be next Tuesday. 

Think details probably been worked out by Texas and will be offered and accepted by RT soon.

2 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Way out coached in the 2nd half but is that a bad thing if you're out coached by a final 4 coach?

Definitely seemed like he was outcoached.  That Miami team was different. Never panicked. When poplar ran into press row he helped clean the mess up.  Composed 

I also think the refs fucked us

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Way out coached in the 2nd half but is that a bad thing if you're out coached by a final 4 coach?

It was a 12 point lead with 10 minutes to go. That’s getting out coached?  

sure he could have substituted differently late, but the fact remains he was working with a short bench, and I doubt the strategy was to get called for 25 fouls in the second half while not drawing nearly as many. He also didn’t call for the missed shots and late turnovers. 

they stopped executing on offense towards the end, and they were giving up two free throws every defensive trip. And Miami was making all of them. So no defensive stops. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Definitely seemed like he was outcoached.  That Miami team was different. Never panicked. When poplar ran into press row he helped clean the mess up.  Composed 

I also think the refs fucked us

Didn't help that they hit god damn near every single free-throw in the last ten minutes too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

It was a 12 point lead with 1 minutes to go. That’s getting out coached?  

sure he could have substituted differently late, but the fact remains he was working with a short bench, and I doubt the strategy was to get called for 25 fouls in the second half while not drawing nearly as many. He also didn’t call for the missed shots and late turnovers. 
True, some of this was on the players but it's also his job to jump their ass and say quit trying to draw stupid charges. Some of those charges they were trying to draw were dumb as shit while all they had to do is move their feet a little more and the refs werent calling those charges all night. Yes, obviously the refs were a little tighter in the 2nd half, but that's expected but we could have adjusted a tad better I think

disu was out, carr was out but still in down the stretch, TA got lazy with his passes, Carr couldn't do Carr things, they shut down Rice.  Yeah the coaching was great, but Texas didn't have the weapons down the stretch.  Hunter played well enough if Carr was healthy to take over, but Hunter wasn't enough when Carr became ineffective.  Basically the mid-second half injury was the game imo.  you tell me we SHUT DOWN their 3's I say we win by 15.  shit happens.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Good dude. Bad, heartbreaking loss that Miami just took from us while we were weak. They capitalized on our misfortune and had some help from the refs. I too don’t understand why Arterrio didn’t play in the second half. But I’m not gonna question much about RT. I’m ready to see what he can do in this off-season and the next few years. I like the guy and loved the team he coached this season. He deserves a contract to see if he can replicate it. 

39 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Think details probably been worked out by Texas and will be offered and accepted by RT soon.

Makes sense.  I bet UT makes him a fair, competitive offer for our school and for an EE 29-9 coach. My point was, despite the possible (and probable, because I agree with you) prep the AD has done, I doubt RT has been focused on anything other than this team until tomorrow. Keep your head down with the boys and see where it goes. It’s inevitable that it’ll happen, but the announcement is contingent upon the offer/negotiation, and the timing of when we want to announce it. I hope it gets done quickly so he can get to work on the portal and HS recruiting. 

I can't edit but I will say I stand somewhat corrected on the extension thing. His original deal in Chicago ran through next year. I remember it being an issue over the offseason that they didn't come to an agreement but evidently they announced one. Terms not disclosed but that would give him two years left on his contract, absolute minimum. He may be pushing for a longer term commitment or raise with the Bulls getting hot right now if it was just a token year, but the extension thing is not the obvious factor I thought it was.
Honestly, between one and dones and transfer portal happenings, I feel like your roster is more stable and you do more actual teaching/coaching in the NBA.

The Bulls (same owner as the White Sox) owner is cheap as fuck. Don’t be shocked if Donovan gets screwed.

41 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It was a 12 point lead with 10 minutes to go. That’s getting out coached?  

they stopped executing on offense towards the end, and they were giving up two free throws every defensive trip. And Miami was making all of them. So no defensive stops. 

Maybe tell them to attack the middle and quit throwing up long jump shots?  Their interior defense is not good, refs are calling fouls left and right and we kept throwing up shots from the outside non stop.  I think he should be given a chance but he also should have told them to drive the lane and create openings the last 8 minutes of the game. 

It’s obviously hard to not have an emotional response to the way this season needed, however, this is actually what you pay coaches for: managing hard situations. Blowing a double digit point lead in the EE doesn’t help inspire confidence. 

I know it’s likely RT, but don’t thinks it’s criminal to choose another coach if a decent one was available. Tired of “optics” based decision-making. It’s just ridiculous if you have options. But maybe there just are not any other realistic possibilities. We don’t know shit though about who really is or isn’t available.

If it’s RT, not that excited TBH, would be interested and enthusiastic even about Royal Ivey, even with all the potential downsides and improbabilities. 

What Beard and others have  shown, is that with the portal, and real coaching, things can change positively in a couple seasons. Somehow I don’t think RT is on that level. Hope I’m wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Ok schizo

My comment was a reflection of chip always being wrong. You can continue to call me names if it makes you feel better.  I work with mentally challenged or compromised children in real life.  Schizophrenia is not one to take lightly.   Cheers man

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I mean it literally happened with the last two basketball hires if you're counting men's and women's. 

I don't count women's sports.

Chris Beard has as many national championships as a coach as I do. He hasn't made it to be that guy yet. He was a good coach and recruiter that had some success and a background related to Texas. 

Let's see... Former Texas assistant who made it to the elite 8 as a coach... Who is available?

24 minutes ago, El Squared said:

If it’s RT, not that excited TBH, would be interested and enthusiastic even about Royal Ivey, even with all the potential downsides and improbabilities. 

At this point how can one be more interested and excited about Royal Ivey than Rodney Terry? Is it because Ivey hasn’t lost a college game yet and it’s easy to dream when you are undefeated?

3 hours ago, El Squared said:

It’s obviously hard to not have an emotional response to the way this season needed, however, this is actually what you pay coaches for: managing hard situations. Blowing a double digit point lead in the EE doesn’t help inspire confidence. 

I know it’s likely RT, but don’t thinks it’s criminal to choose another coach if a decent one was available. Tired of “optics” based decision-making. It’s just ridiculous if you have options. But maybe there just are not any other realistic possibilities. We don’t know shit though about who really is or isn’t available.

What Beard and others have  shown, is that with the portal, and real coaching, things can change positively in a couple seasons. Somehow I don’t think RT is on that level. Hope I’m wrong.

I think he managed a hard situation pretty well when he took over a team mid season and led his team further than all but 4 other coaches did theirs. It’s not an optics hire, he earned it.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Terry could have coached a better 2nd half but I'm not sure I agree that he got outcoached. He ran out of bullets and the other guy still had a couple in the chamber. 

I was hating the thought of looking at this thread, but glad to see takes like this. If you lose players to injuries in March, you're fucked.  There's no way to get around that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cafe society said:

We're headed into a Shaka Weltlich era.  But hey, we're nice people who reward good stewardship.

Yup. One thing this University is great at is making coaches very wealthy and setting them up for a luxurious retirement.

Question- if we lose to Penn St does he get the job? 

I say no.

• Fuck You 4

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

My comment was a reflection of chip always being wrong. You can continue to call me names if it makes you feel better.  I work with mentally challenged or compromised children in real life.  Schizophrenia is not one to take lightly.   Cheers man

You might think about how you’re reacting here. You’re all over the place.

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You might think about how you’re reacting here. You’re all over the place.

Christ, his comment was clearly sarcasm, it went over your head, and now you're just doubling down on being a dick.  Maybe take a break.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Christ, his comment was clearly sarcasm, it went over your head, and now you're just doubling down on being a dick.  Maybe take a break.

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Man I hope you have a great Monday. Not sure what your beef is but cheers man. Chill out

Are you being sarcastic about Texas exploring other coaches even though RT deserves the job?  If so, I totally whiffed on the sarcasm. Either way I have no beef. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Are you being sarcastic about Texas exploring other coaches even though RT deserves the job?  If so, I totally whiffed on the sarcasm. Either way I have no beef. 

The quote you were referencing was a shot at Chip Brown for being wrong often, not saying he is here.  It's a ten year running joke since the first expansion days.

My stance on Rodney has changed.  I didn't think he should be our guy but through the last 4 months I think he's earned the job.  I also said I wouldn't blame CDC for wanting to talk to bigger names.  What I have had problems with is people criticizing the way he speaks, his organizational skills.  

Chill out and breathe.  Idk  you from from the hot dog vendor at the mall.  Hope your day gets better.

5 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Yup. One thing this University is great at is making coaches very wealthy and setting them up for a luxurious retirement.

Question- if we lose to Penn St does he get the job? 

I say no.

If you just went away from this board would you be missed?

I say no.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

The quote you were referencing was a shot at Chip Brown for being wrong often, not saying he is here.  It's a ten year running joke since the first expansion days.

My stance on Rodney has changed.  I didn't think he should be our guy but through the last 4 months I think he's earned the job.  I also said I wouldn't blame CDC for wanting to talk to bigger names.  What I have had problems with is people criticizing the way he speaks, his organizational skills.  

Chill out and breathe.  Idk  you from from the hot dog vendor at the mall.  Hope your day gets better.

My day is fine and I’m totally relaxed. You’re all over the place on RT. Because I’m calling you out and calling you schizo on a message board doesn’t mean I’m mad or a dick or insensitive to mental health. It means you’re exhibiting schizophrenic characteristics on Rodney Terry. 

While it's probably unavoidable to hire Rodney Terry at this point, I have a bad feeling that this will quickly degenerate into the classic, "feel-good" hire. By next year, I see the program losing all the momentum with Terry unable to replace key losses or coach up his team. We will sadly have to wait around four to five very forgettable years to replace him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

While it's probably unavoidable to hire Rodney Terry at this point, I have a bad feeling that this will quickly degenerate into the classic, "feel-good" hire. By next year, I see the program losing all the momentum with Terry unable to replace key losses or coach up his team. We will sadly have to wait around four to five very forgettable years to replace him. 

That's OK. 

Edited by David Dennison

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Why can't it just be a "did good" hire?  How many coaches from the Elite 8 are available?

14 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

just a reminder that you lost your ever loving mind when i had similar sentiments towards sam ehlinger/quinn ewers. let's hope that nobody here reacts to this post the way you did towards mine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

just a reminder that you lost your ever loving mind when i had similar sentiments towards sam ehlinger/quinn ewers. let's hope that nobody here reacts to this post the way you did towards mine. 

True enough.

However, you declared that Sam would never be successful in college before he ever played a game. And, despite some admirable gaslighting by you in recent times, you were pretty down on him throughout his Texas stint. You further declared that he would never make it in the pros. While he is a backup, he's still in the league, last time I checked. 

I honestly don't recall you disparaging Ewers too much. I think he will prove to be a terrific QB at Texas or somewhere else. 

IMHO, the key difference between our predictions is that you were down on Sam before you had seen him. We have a full body of data on Terry Porter, as he has coached for many years and the results has been pretty mediocre. He lucked into a very great team that Coach Beard built and while he did a good job, he didn't do a great job, as this was the most attainable Final Four that Texas may ever see.

I will be very happy If I am wrong and he excels at his role.

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

True enough.

However, you declared that Sam would never be successful in college before he ever played a game. And, despite some admirable gaslighting by you in recent times, you were pretty down on him throughout his Texas stint. You further declared that he would never make it in the pros. While he is a backup, he's still in the league, last time I checked. 

I honestly don't recall you disparaging Ewers too much. I think he will prove to be a terrific QB at Texas or somewhere else. 

IMHO, the key difference between our predictions is that you were down on Sam before you had seen him. We have a full body of data on Terry Porter, as he has coached for many years and the results has been pretty mediocre. He lucked into a very great team that Coach Beard built and while he did a good job, he didn't do a great job, as this was the most attainable Final Four that Texas may ever see.

I will be very happy If I am wrong and he excels at his role.

Katfid sock outs itself.

• Hook 'Em 1