What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

^HIRE TERRY RIGHT NOW. IT'S A SIGN

I know you hate facts and data, but his historical performance is simply not good enough to be a head coach in a big 3 sport at Texas. Regardless of the degree of success he has this year with someone else's roster/program.

Doesn't mean he won't get hired anyway (see: Sarkisian, Steve). 

Edited by Loop 1604
  • Fuck You 1

It's a major distraction on the team for this tourney run that should have been avoided. The players are talking about it. That distraction only gets worse the farther they get in the tourney.

This is just.... wow....  How could anyone think that having Beard still on staff would be LESS of a distraction than the talk about whether we should hire Terry full time? 

What we have right now is what you call a "good problem".  We are only discussing Terry because he has exceeded everyone's expectations.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I voted Elite 8, but now that I think about it Sweet 16 is what I should have voted.

The reality is we haven't made the second weekend of the tournament in something like 15 years. We've certainly had the talent to do that but have seriously under-achieved.

If he's able to do that and continue to pull the talent we have on the roster then there's no reason not to bring him on permanently IMHO. It all depends on how much credit you want to give him for that (assuming it occurs). 

3 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

I know you hate facts and data, but his historical performance is simply not good enough to be a head coach in a big 3 sport at Texas. Regardless of the degree of success he has this year with someone else's roster/program.

Doesn't mean he won't get hired anyway (see: Sarkisian, Steve). 

I know you hate the fact that you are only capable of repeating the same 2 or 3 talking points over and over and over again on every thread on this board without any ability to hold multiple thoughts in your head.

It's actually been quite amusing to see you ride the rollercoaster. You said two weeks ago that this team was losing out. Then a few days later after the Kansas game you said the one win over Kansas meant we were going to hire him full time. Then the a week later you said you would be cheering for the team to lose in the first round because it meant Terry would be gone, which had me laughing because 5 days earlier you said that he was getting hired full time because of a regular season win over Kansas.

Keep doing you though. It's great entertainment for all of us.

59 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The minute she publicly recanted and stated she lied it was 100 percent guaranteed the DA wouldn't press to indict. He was still suspended at that time. They absolutely should have known how this was going to turn out at that moment. I did. Others here did too. 

If they didn't then they're incompetent. 

It's a major distraction on the team for this tourney run that should have been avoided. The players are talking about it. That distraction only gets worse the farther they get in the tourney. If we're lucky it lights a fire and motivates the players, but it also has the bigger possibility of doing the opposite and making them tight. 

I don't care if she recanted, or charges weren't pressed, or he was found innocent, or any of that bullshit. He's a piece of shit woman beater, and doesn't deserve to be employed at the University of Texas. Period. There's nothing incompetent about integrity.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I know you hate the fact that you are only capable of repeating the same 2 or 3 talking points over and over and over again on every thread on this board without any ability to hold multiple thoughts in your head.

It's actually been quite amusing to see you ride the rollercoaster. You said two weeks ago that this team was losing out. Then a few days later after the Kansas game you said the one win over Kansas meant we were going to hire him full time. Then the a week later you said you would be cheering for the team to lose in the first round because it meant Terry would be gone, which had me laughing because 5 days earlier you said that he was getting hired full time because of a regular season win over Kansas.

Keep doing you though. It's great entertainment for all of us.

Tired Britney Spears GIF

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Beat Aggy or penn state to go to the Sweet 16

FIFY

Im telling y’all, Penn State can beat aggy and aggy will have so much pressure on them to get to the 2nd round for the rivalry (as well as them proving they were under seeded)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Yes. The players wouldn't be asked about Terry being the head coach and wouldn't be talking about it if Beard was still the coach. Now that could be it's own distraction but they could be rallied to win for the guy who brought them here as well as the guy who's had to lead them under bad circumstances. But more than anything they wouldn't be facing the pressure to give Terry a job that wouldn't be open. 

Agree to disagree I guess.  Do you really think that all of the writers and reporters discussing why hasn't Texas fired Beard yet would have stopped doing so if Texas just never did anything?  They would be writing about it even more.  And once RT started winning, the players would be asked about RT vs. Beard and whether they thought Beard would/should be back and when.  It could even lead to factions on the team - with some wanting Beard to return and some feeling betrayed and wanting RT to keep the job.  I do not see how that is less of a distraction than what we have now.

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s almost like our posts are not retarded as we all said- UT will never do this clearly demonstrating we know exactly how the AD works, but all while positing it would be a great hire if they did do so.  But then again, why bother with reading comprehension when you can call someone else a retard online. 

Just so I'm clear, the posts advocating for Pitino, or Drew, or for Beard to have kept his job weren't retarded, because you posted those wishes with full knowledge that it would never happen.

Got it. 

19 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I have no idea why GG didn't do well here.  The other results didn't shock me.  

19 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It really is a big surprise. All I can think is Kim M choked the life out of any opportunity we had to establish any program life. 

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not for this thread but didn’t keep anyone on staff with Texas ties (Mays, Davis), didn’t hire anyone with Texas ties, which pissed off alums who run the HS/AAU scene in Texas, came from a school that recruited itself more than Texas does on name alone (Duke) so she was behind the curve on how to recruit the state by leveraging the HS/AAU connections.  I believe it was Clarissa Davis who torpedoed her in the AAU scene 

Plus how good OU/Baylor/aggy was when she got here 

Spoiler

This FCB article about Plonsky from a few years ago included information about GG at Texas. Basically, Plonsky loved Conradt, kept Conradt on the payroll after her tenure as coach ended, and showed more loyalty to Conradt than to Texas or GG.

Before Aston at Texas, it was Gail Goestenkors, who came to Austin from Duke as the hottest coach in women’s college hoops not named Geno Auriemma.

In her last 10 seasons at Duke, Goestenkors’ went to the Sweet 16 every year, seven Elite Eights, four Final Fours and two national championship games.

But what happened to Goestenkors, who walked away from Texas after five disappointing seasons with two years and $2.5 million left on her contract on March 19, 2012 (less than two weeks before an automatic rollover, one-year extension)?

Those close to the situation say Goestenkors left because Plonsky and Randa Ryan micromanaged the women’s basketball program to the point where Goestenkors never felt in charge.

Goestenkors didn’t respond to repeated interview requests for this story.

One source inside the program at that time said the problems started when Plonsky strongly suggested Goestenkors not retain any assistant coaches who worked under predecessor Jody Conradt.

The source said Goestenkors was surprised by Plonsky’s request, because two of those assistants under Conradt - former Texas and NBA star Travis Mays and Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil, a star of Conradt’s undefeated 1986 national title team - had deep Texas ties. 

Goestenkors wanted to interview both to see if either one or both should be retained but followed through with Plonsky’s request not to retain them and brought in new assistants, the source said.

The result was Mays going to LSU to join the staff of Hall of Fame coach Van Chancellor while an outraged Davis-Wrightsil began blackballing the Texas program to all the best AAU programs in the state, poisoning Goestenkors’ recruiting efforts, the source said.

Davis-Wrightsil, contacted via social media, did not respond to interview requests for this story.

To try to soothe the relationship with Davis-Wrightsil, Plonsky pushed Longhorn Network coordinating producer Patricia Lowry to hire Davis-Wrightsil to be an analyst for Texas women’s basketball games on the Longhorn Network, the source said.

“One day, Gail walks into the gym for practice and there’s Clarissa - the person who sabotaged her ability to recruit in Texas - watching her team practice,” the source close to the situation said. “Gail went to Chris (Plonsky), the person who told Gail to get rid of Clarissa, and said, ‘I’m not OK with this.’”

Davis-Wrightsil’s stint as an LHN color analyst ended almost as soon as it began, the source said. Plonsky ended up pushing another former women’s basketball player under Conradt for the LHN analyst job - Fran Harris, the source said. Harris was also hired by Plonsky as coordinator of community engagement for Texas women’s basketball under Aston.

Sources said Plonsky, who has her own locker in the Texas women’s basketball locker room, would text Goestenkors constantly with suggestions.

“Once, there was a women’s basketball player looking to transfer from Vanderbilt, and Chris (Plonsky) texted Gail with it and asked, ‘Have we looked into this?’” a source close to the situation said.

“Because Chris (Plonsky) is so close to Jody (Conradt), there was  a question about if some of those texts were being dictated to Chris from Jody?”

Community service hours and study halls for Goestenkors' student-athletes were dictated by Plonsky and Ryan without input from the head coach, sources said. 

A source close to the situation said before Goestenkors’ final season at Texas, Plonsky told Goestenkors to demote long-time assistant Gayle Valley to retain Edwina Brown, a former UT player and grad assistant coach at Texas who was being pursued to join Karen Aston’s staff at North Texas. 

Goestenkors went along with Plonsky’s wish, only to resign at the end of that season out of exasperation, sources said.

When Aston was named Goestenkors’ successor at Texas, Edwina Brown was hoping she’d be retained by Aston, who declined, saying Brown should’ve joined her at North Texas if she wanted to be one of her assistants, sources said.

“I watched Patty (Fendick-McCain) get chewed out by Chris (Plonsky) on a daily basis over the mundane,” Klaic said. 

“It takes away your passion to coach. It took away mine. I think it took away Patty’s, and I think it took away the passion of (former women’s basketball coach) Gail Goestenkors.”

TLDR maybe Plonsky

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Hide contents

This FCB article about Plonsky from a few years ago included information about GG at Texas. Basically, Plonsky loved Conradt, kept Conradt on the payroll after her tenure as coach ended, and showed more loyalty to Conradt than to Texas or GG.

TLDR maybe Plonsky

Plonsky and Jody are close.....

If we decide we can replace a guy who chokes out girls with a sleazy pimp type, and if we can get Pitino to sign on the dotted line, I don't think there will be much argument that we should have kept RT, even if we make a deep run this year. A little grumbling at first, sure, but no one will be able to claim with a straight face that he was more qualified. If the PR is managed well, it could even be billed as evidence that while we have standards and associate consequences with errors, we still believe in winning over scandals second chances as much as the next school.

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

I think I voted Elite 8, but now that I think about it Sweet 16 is what I should have voted.

The reality is we haven't made the second weekend of the tournament in something like 15 years. We've certainly had the talent to do that but have seriously under-achieved.

If he's able to do that and continue to pull the talent we have on the roster then there's no reason not to bring him on permanently IMHO. It all depends on how much credit you want to give him for that (assuming it occurs). 

i voted sweet 16, but not because i think he deserves the job if we get that far, but because i think we will in fact hire him if we go that far. nothing could convince me that he's the right man for the job, not even a national title. i may have misread the intentions of this thread, so let's make this clear: if you're voting based on what you think RT needs to do in order for cdc to give him the job then you're doing it right. otherwise all you're doing is saying that whether or not RT deserves this job or not comes down to how many games we win in this tournament, and that's just an asinine way to approach this. you're either already all-in or all-out on thinking that RT is a good enough to have this job or not, and this tourney performance shouldn't be able to change that in any way. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

A big thing for me is how RT approaches the tournament. His makeshift lineup without Timmy in KC worked well. Does he dare start the Colgate game with 3 guards, Timmy and Disu instead of 2 guards, Timmy, Mitchell and Disu? I’d actually feel better about him if he recognized our better lineups were 3 guard, Timmy at the 4 and Disu at the 5. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Just so I'm clear, the posts advocating for Pitino, or Drew, or for Beard to have kept his job weren't retarded, because you posted those wishes with full knowledge that it would never happen.

Got it. 

We are having a conversation about what we wish would happen or how we wish the admin would have handled it while acknowledging that this is not how the admin will actually choose to handle it. You know, having a discussion about how we think things should be on a discussion board. On topic more or less even. What a weird concept. 

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you're voting based on what you think RT needs to do in order for cdc to give him the job then you're doing it right.

Yeah that's where I'm coming from. 

There's no question that his resume' doesn't remotely measure up to others who would be candidates were he not the interim. 

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you're voting based on what you think RT needs to do in order for cdc to give him the job then you're doing it right. 

If any amount of wins in this tournament convince CDC to give him the job then we've all lost. What he does in this tournament says nothing of how he can build a power program going forward. CDC should already have made that judgement about him by now. 

Interesting that aggy slid into that potential Sweet 16 spot.  I had already settled on a Sweet 16 appearance as my vote.  Now, I can't imagine a scenario in which he is retained if he loses to aggy OR fired if he beats them.  Disclaimer: This is my own, myopic view; not what I think CDC or others might have in mind.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Interesting that aggy slid into that potential Sweet 16 spot.  I had already settled on a Sweet 16 appearance as my vote.  Now, I can't imagine a scenario in which he is retained if he loses to aggy OR fired if he beats them.  Disclaimer: This is my own, myopic view; not what I think CDC or others might have in mind.

They have yet to "slide" into that spot yet.  Pedo is not chopped liver.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i may have misread the intentions of this thread, so let's make this clear: if you're voting based on what you think RT needs to do in order for cdc to give him the job then you're doing it right.

Turns out you misread the intentions of this thread.  I don't really care what people think CDC will do... or how he will respond to the various pressures that he is under. There are plenty of threads with speculation on what will happen.

What I hoped to get from this thread is what it would take for the Longhorn FANBASE to get on board with hiring Terry.  That is why I worded it... if YOU were CDC, what would it take for YOU to give him the job. 

Perhaps I could have worded it better.

I personally have said from the start of his tenure that a Final Four run would earn him the job (or a Sweet 16 run if he wins the conference outright).  Because that means he had a successful enough regular season to likely get a high seed.  And then he did something with it.  All while dealing with the huge mess that Beard left behind.

So now, it isn't just that the tourney is deciding his fate. The tourney is the culmination of a season that has led us to this point.

Others are free to view it differently. 

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If any amount of wins in this tournament convince CDC to give him the job then we've all lost. What he does in this tournament says nothing of how he can build a power program going forward. CDC should already have made that judgement about him by now. 

it's not about "convincing" cdc per se, it's about the optics (and the impact said optics would have on the program) were he to let RT go and then replace with anyone who isn't a slam dunk, home run hire. if RT loses to colgate or penn state (or aggy) and cdc thinks he has a better option then he may go that route. but being that there appears to be a complete dearth of legitimate candidates to replace Beard, then a S16 run should be all that it takes to seal the deal imo. 

Edited by shadow_operative

I think if he makes the final four or higher, he will get the job.  I think that's the right decision for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I do not think they can fire the coach that just led the team to the final four.

I also think if he fails to make the sweet 16, then he will not get the job, and I would also agree with that decision.

The question is what happens if he loses in the sweet 16 or elite 8.  My personal opinion would be they should keep him if Texas' makes the elite 8 and lnot if Texas loses in the sweet 16, but it's a really tough call and I could see Texas going either way.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Again with the melodrama.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

The reality is we haven't made the second weekend of the tournament in something like 15 years.

Yeah but that doesn’t mean shit because it’s 100% guaranteed that Chris Beard was going to win the national title this year, and at the very least he would have won at least one more game than Rodney Terry, and if you disagree with me you don’t know shit about basketball….

• Haha 1

I think a big factor that we are missing here is when this season is done, regardless of where we finish, is what the players will say about Terry when they are questioned by the powers that be.

I cannot imagine any of them not wanting him to be the coach going forward.

I think that carries a lot of weight.

I’m pretty surprised Final Four is the co-leader. 

I really don’t know to feel about Coug High. They play hard enough on defense to make Texas earn every bucket. We haven’t done well in these type of games. It’s a poor matchup, but the Cougs don’t have some NBA Lottery pick ready to cut our hearts out like Melo. And Coug High played in a very shitty conference. 

I voted Elite 8 and that’s my basement expectation. 

If he gets us there, 3 year deal at a competitive salary. No buyout. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I really don’t know to feel about Coug High. They play hard enough on defense to make Texas earn every bucket. We haven’t done well in these type of games. It’s a poor matchup, but the Cougs don’t have some NBA Lottery pick ready to cut our hearts out like Melo. And Coug High played in a very shitty conference. 

I'd like to see us win a couple of games before I start sweating about hypothetical Elite Eight matchups. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m pretty surprised Final Four is the co-leader. 

I voted Elite 8 and that’s my basement expectation. 

If he gets us there, 3 year deal at a competitive salary. No buyout. 

Their forward is going in the lottery, but he's a little inconsistent. He either goes for 20+ or struggles to score at all. Their season changed when Sasser got hurt. He's the only guy on their team that can consistently hunt shots. He isn't playing in their 1st game, so it will be interesting to see how healthy he is for their 2nd round game. It's the primary reason I picked us to beat them in the E8. I don't think he's going to be 100% again this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

How. Many. Degrees. Do. You. Have. 

I personally think we should go by years attended enrolled, much better metric.

Since I'm also a UTEP former student I already had an opinion on RT, and that was he's a guy who excelled at finding good players, but his teams underachieved and players didn't develop. It was frustrating because you know that getting talent to El Paso is a tall order and the fanbase was excited about his teams here.

That said you see guys like our last coach build their entire reputation on one FF run (tho it'll be interesting to see what he does this year) and you wonder how many coaches could really kill it at a place like Texas but, absent that magical FF run, they are forever going to be stuck at the UTEPs and Fresnos of the world.

I'm just conditioning myself for our FF run this year and RT as HC next.

Edited by GringoSalado

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it's not about "convincing" cdc per se, it's about the optics (and the impact said optics would have on the program) were he to let RT go and then replace with anyone who isn't a slam dunk, home run hire. if RT loses to colgate or penn state (or aggy) and cdc thinks he has a better option then he may go that route. but being that there appears to be a complete dearth of legitimate candidates to replace Beard, then a S16 run should be all that it takes to seal the deal imo. 

Maybe what I wrote wasn't very clear. I'm not saying Terry definitely shouldn't get the job. I'm saying CDC should have judged by now whether he feels Terry is capable of building a winning program. No amount of wins in the tournament should change that assessment, possibly short of winning the national title since a title would vault Terry's status in the basketball world and potentially give him the clout to be a destination coach like Beard became at Tech.

Right now i don't think any player in the country is thinking they gotta go play wherever Rodney Terry is at next year. A title could change that, but I'm not sure anything short of that would. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought the same until I saw who their coach is

That dude is a great example showing not just any good coach can win here. He was good before Texas, he's been great in 2 years after Texas, but was the utmost of shit here. Makes the odds of finding the right coach so much worse for us. The number of people who can win here is very very very small. 

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That dude is a great example showing not just any good coach can win here. He was good before Texas, he's been great in 2 years after Texas, but was the utmost of shit here. Makes the odds of finding the right coach so much worse for us. The number of people who can win here is very very very small. 

He had one great year in his career. He lost in the first round the two years before he was hired at Texas, lost 3 first round games while he was here and then was blown out by UNC last year in the first round.

Outside of a one year Cinderella run 12 years ago, there is nothing to suggest he’s a “good” coach. We will see if he does something to change that this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think a big factor that we are missing here is when this season is done, regardless of where we finish, is what the players will say about Terry when they are questioned by the powers that be.

I cannot imagine any of them not wanting him to be the coach going forward.

I think that carries a lot of weight.

It really doesn’t.

• Fuck You 1