Which is your Favorite Hot Sauce?

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Also, many of them are “the best” under the right food conditions. Their is no one sauce to rule them all

"Fit for purpose" as you law dogs would say, but I agree.

That said, if pressed for one for general use, it's the OG-- Tabasco. I like the standalone taste of Cholula the best, though, and can and sometimes do sip it straight from the bottle between bites, but that's why it will never play in the major leagues when I'm feeling frisky when ole Scoville 

• Hook 'Em 1

For everyday usage, you can't beat the coverage of the Secret Aardvark red and green combo. A little thicker than most of the pictured varieties, but if we're staying in that range, then nearly any of Marie Sharp's offerings are also better than almost everything listed. 

I don't think that Sriracha belongs among the pictured choices. 

I celebrate the entire catalog, but I typically have a bottle of Tabasco in my glove box. Although sometimes it is Cholula (better on potato chips).

csb when I was in the oil field I became notorious when one of my crew asked if I had any hot sauce in my truck and I replied, "What kind?" /csb

• Hook 'Em 2

Brazilians in general don’t eat spicy food but most “lanchonetes” will have Tabasco like sauce on the table. But this last time I was down there we went to some fancy restaurant and they had a hot sauce I hadn’t tried. It was yellow so I am pretty sure it was pimenta de cheiro (Capsicum chinense). It had good flavor and a nice kick. Need to see if I can find some here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

862a15af4b049d326be797db68f0b5e0.jpg

This stuff is great, I need to order some more soon.  Also it’s actual smoked habaneros and not liquid smoke. 

The Baron’s scotch bonnet pepper sauce is really good. It’s got the heat of habanero with a more citrus taste.  

750F6C05-5479-45D2-980A-3A744451EA62.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

McIllheny original red Tabasco.  All the rest are posers and Johnny come latelys.....fight me mofos.

Come On GIF by HBO Max

OG Tabasco has too much of a vinegar component for universal application.  Sour just doesn't work for over easy eggs.  Cholula easily outshines here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all eat Taco Bell? I get it if you are under 25.

It’s been 20 years since I have eaten that shit.

Cue the “it’s awesome at 2am when you are hammered”.

I’m a hidden nacho Doritos locos tacos fan on occasion, what can I say.  Those trashy things are tastes with some Diablo sauce.  

Edited by Hook1997

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Come On GIF by HBO Max

OG Tabasco has too much of a vinegar component for universal application.  Sour just doesn't work for over easy eggs.  Cholula easily outshines here. 

That's fair.  The vinegar component is a major selling point for me and why I like it the best.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's fair.  The vinegar component is a major selling point for me and why I like it the best.

Yes.  Please don’t get me wrong… with the right dish, Tabasco is great.  A bowl of black-eyed peas is made perfect with Tabasco.  One of the best salads I have ever had was a caesar salad with Tabasco mixed into the dressing.  It’s just not a universal solution for every hot sauce situation.  

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yes.  Please don’t get me wrong… with the right dish, Tabasco is great.  A bowl of black-eyed peas is made perfect with Tabasco.  One of the best salads I have ever had was a caesar salad with Tabasco mixed into the dressing.  It’s just not a universal solution for every hot sauce situation.  

Yeah, my introduction to hot sauce was via Tabasco and the homemade stuff with vinegar over peppers and that still kind of informs my usage of hot sauce.  I put it on a lot more stuff than I used to, but it's mostly Tabasco and Sriracha, and both have the -- for me -- expected vinegary kick to them.  And, if I can't use Tabasco or Sriracha in their expected applications, I find most of the other disappointing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I feel like hot sauce should be at least habanero strength or close to it. Otherwise you are just putting colored vinegar on your food.

Sometimes you want to add a dash of vinegar to a dish and hot sauce can fill that bill. But yeah, habanero is my minimum for feeling any kind of kick. My tolerance has increased steadily over the years. I’m ready to look for a good scorpion sauce because ghost isn’t really doing it for me anymore. But I absolutely love the flavor of habanero. I grow my own in the summertime. I can eat them raw. I dry them and grind them and shake that on everything.

This was my favorite hot sauce, just Red Savina habanero mash and vinegar, but the guy sold the company and they don’t make it anymore.

809AD638-1761-4903-B6D0-6F39935BC6FA.png.5e8f5b11812e08e7b4da139bf857f825.png

This is another good one that’s made locally. If you like Chipotle Tabasco, this blows that away. It’s great on BBQ.

D7320D60-F76F-4CE4-BAFC-C512943B1C83.png.5111924f95ed1d26483c19f38f68cd2a.png

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

image.png.39a7e1bbbcf484f216f6c643db0ce75f.png

This stuff is awesome. It’s not the hottest but it tastes incredible. And it’s a small bottle that I can carry in my coat pocket. I go through a lot of it and buy several bottles at a time because I only know of one store that carries it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all eat Taco Bell? I get it if you are under 25.

It’s been 20 years since I have eaten that shit.

Cue the “it’s awesome at 2am when you are hammered”.

And leaving your old lady a satisfied wreck at Motel 6 up off I-45 and 2920. 

• Haha 1