Which is your Favorite Hot Sauce?

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all eat Taco Bell? I get it if you are under 25.

It’s been 20 years since I have eaten that shit.

Cue the “it’s awesome at 2am when you are hammered”.

It was good in college, and then it was good as my son and I would grab a few tacos on the way back from little league and select practice back in the day. He’s grown now, so I don’t go there anymore. 

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Exactly this. I use multiple hot sauces depending on what the dish is. 

Yep.  In my pantry there is Tabasco original and the green/mild, Cholula, Sriracha, Valentino, and louisiana. 

Tapatio is the individual packets are greatness as well.  

18 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I like all the ones posted, that I've had before.  Agree that the food depends on the sauce I use.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but this one takes me back to my ute and still love it:

image.jpeg.32e0e010a257ce0765770937e79513ed.jpeg

My daughter gets multiple bottles of that for Christmas. She loves it on steak and burgers, although she might awkwardly laugh at anyone calling it a hot sauce. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My daughter gets multiple bottles of that for Christmas. She loves it on steak and burgers, although she might awkwardly laugh at anyone calling it a hot sauce. 

And I agree w/ her.  That's why it takes me back to my childhood.  My folks used this as my gateway "drug" to the addiction to really hot, spicy fare. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve tried most of these, front and center is my favorite so far. The green habanero has a strange color that takes some gettin’ used to, especially on eggs.  ADAF3648-2279-4804-ADC7-CB85-B9-E68152.j

Not a fan of the Tabasco family - regular, chipotle, or green - but I might give the Habanero a whirl (Wally Pryor recommeded on page 1).

Crystal, Valentina, and Cholula are other norms for me, depending on the mood and situation. I had a big bottle Tapatio once and enjoyed it. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve tried most of these, front and center is my favorite so far. The green habanero has a strange color that takes some gettin’ used to, especially on eggs.  ADAF3648-2279-4804-ADC7-CB85-B9-E68152.j

Not a fan of the Tabasco family - regular, chipotle, or green - but I might give the Habanero a whirl (Wally Pryor recommeded on page 1).

Crystal, Valentina, and Cholula are other norms for me, depending on the mood and situation. I had a big bottle Tapatio once and enjoyed it. 

I’ve tried #’s 2, 3, 4, and 6 of the El Yucateco. #3, the XXXTRA HOT, is the only one I always have on hand. It’s excellent and brings the heat.

I prefer Tapatio over Valentina.

I just tried a bottle of this but threw it out because it’s not hot enough and doesn’t taste that great. I was surprised because I like their other products that I’ve tried.

C780BDBF-A593-4DB2-A273-EDC9C4F808C5.png.6213a370e9c5715222f21dad3c8c7aa5.png

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I prefer Tapatio over Valentina.

I was always torn between the two. I found a Mexican restaurant in IA that sells their hot sauce in styrofoam fountain drink cups. It’s similar to Valentinos, only better, and thicker like a salsa. I buy that at 1/4 the price per ounce every time I go through Sioux City. 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:28 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I forgot some friends from Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil gave me this. I still need to try it on food. It has some kick because it’s habanero. However, I am curious what it would taste like if they subbed the vinegar for cachaça…I have never heard of such black magic.

e1eecc7d11cf0574288aa3fb179cc42b.jpg

That looks interesting, with the oil and vinegar. I have a bottle of condimento de malagueta from Minas Gerais that's just malagueta peppers (mashed), vinegar and salt. It's got a little bit of a kick but is good for perking up feijoada a bit.

• 4 months later...

Tabasco, for sure. I've not run into many sauces that I didn't like, though, so that's not saying a whole  lot, I suppose. I hit a lot of foods with a dash or twelve of Tabasco - particularly eggs and especially deviled eggs.

One of my step-dad's brothers - Uncle Al - was married to a McIlhenny, and she would get care packages from the family from time to time with both the regular and foolin' around stuff. The latter were pretty much always interesting, but none were dramatically better than the usual. 

I’d seen people talking online about Scorpion Tabasco. The Mexican market near me finally started carrying it. I bought a bottle and after I tried it I rushed right back and bought a backup bottle. It’s excellent. Great smoky flavor with a real nice sting.

I’m on that second bottle now and here’s my backup:

IMG_7620.thumb.jpeg.47b1465aa81b6e3f99b7370f337feca1.jpeg

As long as I’m on the subject, here’s the pic I took when they changed the packaging for habanero Tabasco. I’ve currently got three backup bottles of that too but I’ll probably pick up a couple more the next time I stop at the store that carries it. Plus a backup bottle of Crystal because I’m running low on that. What’s strange is that the Mexican market had habanero Tabasco when I first found the Scorpion but they ran out of that and haven’t restocked. It’s just as well because they were charging $1 more per bottle than where I usually get it.

IMG_7887.thumb.jpeg.26429c87627241c55f15fa22b6b49a2c.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, Dnaguy said:

Alll bullshit.

Mexican hot sauce: 

s-l1600.jpg

My wife summed it up best.  "If I wanted Heinz 57 mixed in with my hot sauce, I could have done that myself."  Two thumbs down.

32 minutes ago, CoTex said:

My wife summed it up best.  "If I wanted Heinz 57 mixed in with my hot sauce, I could have done that myself."  Two thumbs down.

What’s a Heinz 57?

On 8/15/2023 at 10:19 PM, Dnaguy said:

Bonus points for expired hot sauce and the half -assed open wine bottle.

City on a hill, indeed.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I see some Ortega and what looks like a used colostomy bag on the third row.  Is that the "top shelf?"

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

I see some Ortega and what looks like a used colostomy bag on the third row.  Is that the "top shelf?"

Here is the thing about Ortega taco sauce.  It tastes great on tacos!