High end kitchen appliances

Looks like we don't have a thread for this yet.  We are remodeling our mountain house and have been going back and forth for a while on kitchen appliances.  If location (for service) didn't matter, we would just go with all Miele appliances, I think.  But they do not service the mountains at all.  So we had to look elsewhere.  It looks like we are going to go with a piecemeal approach and go with the best of each category (for our needs) here.

• Bluestar dual fuel 48" range
  • Miele steam oven (I can put it in my car and drive to Denver if I need service)
  • Sub Zero column fridge (24" fridge, 18" freezer) 
  • And probably some Bosch/Thermador dishwasher.  Or maybe Miele.

Anyone have experience with any of those?  You happy with your purchase or regret it?

I mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I went with a higher end (than I would have otherwise bought) Miele dishwasher due to shit experience with a Kitchenaid before that, despite it being top rated on Consumer Reports.

I was very happy with the Miele DW, it got dishes cleaner than I've ever seen...didn't realize all glasses had a haze until put next to one washed in the new DW.

Had to wait several months during the supply chain fun to get one. It was worth it. It showed up and was installed in early July.

The fucking thing died last week. No power...no circuits tripped. Miele didn't last as long as the crap-ass Kitchenaid.

Warranty service (in a big city) can't get to me for weeks.

Unrelated to mountain needs...everyone keep those old ass appliances as long as you can. My parents are still rocking appliances from when I was a kid. I've had to replace everything at least once, most of them more than once...or twice...or thrice. Redid kitchen in 2018/2019. Every single appliance (also replaced W/D) was CR top rated. Every single appliance failed, multiple times. My kids still have to defrost the freezer likes it's the fucking 50s. And now they get to wash the dishes by hand. Don't worry, they know how...because of the previous crap appliances. The microwave turns itself on...sure hope that faraday cage is sound.

Rant over...sorry. Enjoy the mountains may man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Let me drop in to say LG sucks ass.  

The only experience I have with LG appliances is my fridge.  I bought it after my last divorce in 2010.  It sat in a non-climate controlled storage unit for 18 months after I sold my house in Magnolia and rented a place there while my kids finished elementary school.  The only service it has ever required was changing the water filter every so often, and once I had to buy a new drawer for the ice maker when I broke it banging on it.  I'm not looking forward to when it finally dies and I have to buy a new piece of shit.

I don’t know if consumer reports is really worth going by these days. Last few times I’ve checked their rankings they seem to suck or suspect imo

I’d find an appliance store near you and buy through them so they can repair if needed.

It’s a crapshoot these days it seems

4 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I don’t know if consumer reports is really worth going by these days. Last few times I’ve checked their rankings they seem to suck or suspect imo

I’d find an appliance store near you and buy through them so they can repair if needed.

We are buying through an appliance store, but repairs in the mountains (away from Denver) is the issue.  The appliance store doesn't do the repairs.  They just sell and do the install.

New LG front load washer / dryer front loading set last year.  Rock solid so far.

Just replaced 10+ year old Frigidaire Gallery gas range (computer board), dishwasher (bad pump) and microwave this year with GE Cafe appliances (so, not high end, but, not low end).  Interesting how the Frigidaire range and dishwasher both went out around the same time.  Microwave was fine, but, wanted to match the set.  Original Frigidaire fridge rusted out the back/ leaked due to a condensation design flaw 3 or 4 years ago.  Replaced with a Whirlpool.  Solid, and the Icemaker works/ no issues.

First replacement GE Cafe range had a bad numeric control panel- didn't notice until day after install (installer only tested burners), so, it took over a month w/ HomeDepot screw ups to get a replacement.  Good so far. Dishwasher is a little bit strange w/ random beeping, so, turned the sound entirely off. 

Didn't really look at the higher end stuff, but, seemed like the GE's, Kenmores, Whirlpools, Samsungs, LGs all had similar units/ price ranges.  Sales/ Installer said 7-8 years these days is doing good.  Probably some level of 'planned' obsolescence in all of them...

Edited by LosIllini
Typo

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll preface by saying I don't have a mountain home nor top end appliances... Are newer appliances (or higher end) that crappy now that it's this big a concern?

Don’t buy Samsung.  And I realize that is not in the spirit of this thread, but I like to steer people away from Samsung products whenever the opportunity presents itself.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll preface by saying I don't have a mountain home nor top end appliances... Are newer appliances (or higher end) that crappy now that it's this big a concern?

I think they are good for the most part, but buying something that literally cannot be serviced is a no for me, dog.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Looks like we don't have a thread for this yet.  We are remodeling our mountain house and have been going back and forth for a while on kitchen appliances.  If location (for service) didn't matter, we would just go with all Miele appliances, I think.  But they do not service the mountains at all.  So we had to look elsewhere.  It looks like we are going to go with a piecemeal approach and go with the best of each category (for our needs) here.

• Bluestar dual fuel 48" range
  • Miele steam oven (I can put it in my car and drive to Denver if I need service)
  • Sub Zero column fridge (24" fridge, 18" freezer) 
  • And probably some Bosch/Thermador dishwasher.  Or maybe Miele.

Anyone have experience with any of those?  You happy with your purchase or regret it?

I can only say that we are happy with our Bosch dishwasher. It’s definitely quality, but wouldn’t consider it high end like the rest of your list.   Waiting for our current fridge to die, and will be replacing with a sub zero. Hoping and praying my wife won’t require an entire kitchen redo before then. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I replaced my last dishwasher with a cheap Bosch. It works solid. Wish I would have bought a better version though. It beeps incessantly when finished. I had no idea about the newer dw tech so just bought whatever was Bosch as cheap as possible. I should look how to program it to shut up

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The only experience I have with LG appliances is my fridge.  I bought it after my last divorce in 2010.  It sat in a non-climate controlled storage unit for 18 months after I sold my house in Magnolia and rented a place there while my kids finished elementary school.  The only service it has ever required was changing the water filter every so often, and once I had to buy a new drawer for the ice maker when I broke it banging on it.  I'm not looking forward to when it finally dies and I have to buy a new piece of shit.

My tenant in the guesthouse bought a $3,000 LG fridge when he moved in 3 years ago.  The icemaker has broken 3 times, and each time it took LG over a week to send somebody out, then another couple of weeks to make the repair.  Now, the whole motherfucker is broken.  It's stuffed full of food that's rotting.  They told him he could have a repair appointment in 7 days.  So he's got to live without refrigeration for 7 days.  I've lent him my small outdoor beer fridge, and the excess capacity in my deep freeze.   I know this, because I work from home, and he always asks me to let the repairman in his house.

2 hours ago, LosIllini said:

New LG front load washer / dryer front loading set last year.  Rock solid so far.

Just replaced 10+ year old Frigidaire Gallery gas range (computer board), dishwasher (bad pump) and microwave this year with GE Cafe appliances (so, not high end, but, not low end).  Interesting how the Frigidaire range and dishwasher both went out around the same time.  Microwave was fine, but, wanted to match the set.  Original Frigidaire fridge rusted out the back/ leaked due to a condensation design flaw 3 or 4 years ago.  Replaced with a Whirlpool.  Solid, and the Icemaker works/ no issues.

First replacement GE Cafe range had a bad numeric control panel- didn't notice until day after install (installer only tested burners), so, it took over a month w/ HomeDepot screw ups to get a replacement.  Good so far. Dishwasher is a little bit strange w/ random beeping, so, turned the sound entirely off. 

Didn't really look at the higher end stuff, but, seemed like the GE's, Kenmores, Whirlpools, Samsungs, LGs all had similar units/ price ranges.  Sales/ Installer said 7-8 years these days is doing good.  Probably some level of 'planned' obsolescence in all of them...

I had an LG washer.  Big sticker on the front says "DIRECT DRIVE MOTOR 10 YEAR WARRANTY". 

About 2 years in, it takes a shit, and, based on the behavior of the machine, I'm 100% sure it's a motor failure.

I call LG.  They tell me that for $270, they will come out and repair the machine.  I say, "OK, but if it's a motor failure, there's no charge, right?"

"It's a $270 fee, and we will fix whatever is wrong with the machine"

"BUT THE MOTOR HAS A 10 YEAR WARRANTY"

"Whatever is wrong, we will fix for $270 dollars". 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So, you bought an appliance that should work for 20 years, and it's worked for 13.   Good for you, I guess. 

• Like 1

I'm not good enough of a cook to deserve it, but I am still smitten with my 48" Bluestar cooktop:

PXL_20230314_005015295_2.thumb.jpg.06c3be32eb0872d2fb2f81a1d77f4ad4.jpg

I absolutely love it, and all that capacity is awesome at holidays.

When we built, I was in charge of that, the vent hood, and the nugget icemaker.  For everything else, I let my wife pick out matching stuff she liked, because I know anything with a circuit board in it is doomed.  She went with Electrolux stuff which has been pretty good so far (fingers crossed) aside from some relatively minor issues.

Are you doing a warming drawer?  If I was ever going to do this again (God, I hope not), I'd love to have a second or a bigger one.  It fills up quickly, particularly at the holidays or otherwise cooking for groups.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not good enough of a cook to deserve it, but I am still smitten with my 48" Bluestar cooktop:

When we built, I was in charge of that, the vent hood, and the nugget icemaker.  For everything else, I let my wife pick out matching stuff she liked, because I know anything with a circuit board in it is doomed.  She went with Electrolux stuff which has been pretty good so far (fingers crossed) aside from some relatively minor issues.

Are you doing a warming drawer?  If I was ever going to do this again (God, I hope not), I'd love to have a second or a bigger one.  It fills up quickly, particularly at the holidays or otherwise cooking for groups.
No warming drawer.

41 minutes ago, Damor said:

Just replaced a 20 year old Electrolux fridge with another Electrolux.  

Why would you get a 48" range and a steam oven? It seems like a 48" cooktop with a dual steam/reg oven would be a better way to go. 3 ovens seems like overkill.

We have a Miele dishwasher and like it. My parents have a sub zero fridge and they like it. I think their steam oven is a Miele, but I haven't asked about it. I wonder if it is hard to adapt recipes to steam ovens. Vegetables would be easy but more complex dishes may be easier the old fashioned way.

I was thinking about getting some Thermador stuff, but I heard that the microwave on their speed oven is a pain in the ass to use and their ranges play an y.annoying intro every time they are turned on.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Let me drop in to say LG sucks ass.  

I wouldn't call it "high end" but we have a Bosch DW and it's fantastic. 

Same. So quiet, I can stand next to it when it's running and not hear it. And actually cleans dishes!

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

CR's appliance reviews have been compromised for a while, now. Used to be "which Kenmore will top the list THIS time?"

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Don’t buy Samsung.  And I realize that is not in the spirit of this thread, but I like to steer people away from Samsung products whenever the opportunity presents itself.

My experience with Samsung is, if you buy the flagship, you'll get something great; otherwise, it's garbage.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I can only say that we are happy with our Bosch dishwasher. It’s definitely quality, but wouldn’t consider it high end like the rest of your list.   Waiting for our current fridge to die, and will be replacing with a sub zero. Hoping and praying my wife won’t require an entire kitchen redo before then. 

Another Bosch "not high end, but..." appears!

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Shit, neither of my marriages even lasted 20 years.

You're kinda advertising your poor judgement tho

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Since it wasn't relevant to the OP, I left out the part where almost all the shit appliances that died or needed several repairs were Samsung. All shit. Fridge, microwave, stoven, washer, dryer.

3 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Since it wasn't relevant to the OP, I left out the part where almost all the shit appliances that died or needed several repairs were Samsung. All shit. Fridge, microwave, stoven, washer, dryer.

Give me the simple appliances that do the basics and last forever!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Another Bosch "not high end, but..." appears!

Well, yeah. They are $1300. A similar Miele is $7,000.   So I believe quality, but not high end, is a pretty apt description.   We’ve had good luck with our $1800 LG fridge (11 years), but the next one will be about 5 or 6 times that cost. I would use the same description. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m very happy with my Miele kitchen appliances.  Our new construction patio home came with an all Miele kitchen.  Nice design and 8 years in we have no complaints.  The cooktop looks sort of puny compared to the larger range tops but it puts out the BTUs.  Way better than our big six burner Thermador in our previous house.  

• Like 1

I think I mentioned in the other thread we are doing a kitchen remodel as well.

We have a sub-zero fridge and I actually dislike, we have had to have it serviced a few times. 

We are switching to a Dacor fridge, we will see how that goes.

I think I mentioned in the other thread we are doing a kitchen remodel as well.
We have a sub-zero fridge and I actually dislike, we have had to have it serviced a few times. 
We are switching to a Dacor fridge, we will see how that goes.
Dacor is Samsung. Might want to rethink that one.

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Give me the simple appliances that do the basics and last forever!

This. I bought the cheapest washer and dryer at Lowes after my last ones crapped out. Seven years later and still running strong. No fancy circuit boards to burn up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

This. I bought the cheapest washer and dryer at Lowes after my last ones crapped out. Seven years later and still running strong. No fancy circuit boards to burn up. 

Hey, this is the high end appliance thread - not the cheap shit that's better than a high end appliance thread.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, milkman said:

Have you looked at Jenn Air? They have a pretty solid lineup. Other than that you can't go wrong with Thermador or Miele.

We have Jenn Air in our Denver house and it's nice, but this is our forever home.  We're going all out on this one.

Our builder, a very high-end builder, said Thermador wasn't what it once was.  It used to be the sort of premier US cooking appliance manufacturer and tended toward the simple but effective designs.  They got bought out by Bosch and started adding a lot of electronics and LEDs and shit and kind of went to hell, relatively speaking.

Also, Sub-Zero used to be repairable, meaning without replacing parts that cost half the purchase price of the refrigerator.  So you could keep a 20 or 30-year old one going forever.  That apparently is less true than it used to be and now they tend to be more like other makers, but bigger and more expensive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, milkman said:

Have you looked at Jenn Air? They have a pretty solid lineup. Other than that you can't go wrong with Thermador or Miele.

Curiously, both Jenn Air and Kitchen Aid comprise Whirlpool's upscale brands.  They still have some product identity, but they compete pretty heavily with each other and are made alongside each other and Whirlpool stuff.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Our builder, a very high-end builder, said Thermador wasn't what it once was.  It used to be the sort of premier US cooking appliance manufacturer and tended toward the simple but effective designs.  They got bought out by Bosch and started adding a lot of electronics and LEDs and shit and kind of went to hell, relatively speaking.

Also, Sub-Zero used to be repairable, meaning without replacing parts that cost half the purchase price of the refrigerator.  So you could keep a 20 or 30-year old one going forever.  That apparently is less true than it used to be and now they tend to be more like other makers, but bigger and more expensive.

the last time i was at my dad's house I did a pause and marvel/question/wonder realizing that it's still the same fucking (sub-zero) refrigerator that's been in that spot since 1991

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Curiously, both Jenn Air and Kitchen Aid comprise Whirlpool's upscale brands.  They still have some product identity, but they compete pretty heavily with each other and are made alongside each other and Whirlpool stuff.

And they are likely all made at the same plant in Mexico.  All of our stuff has a Whirlpool or Kenmore nameplate on it.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:34 AM, fattyflattie said:

Can you elaborate on any of the issues, what model, etc?   

Sure I hesitate a little because everyone can have a lemon… first off we did not buy this fridge but it was purchased right before we moved in the house (I have the receipts). I will look at the model when I am home but two issues. 

First the condenser failed, I think it was around year 5. It was an easy fix and they had a repair guy out within a couple days. This one did not bother me that much. 

It also has indoor ice and water (I will never buy a fridge with this again) and that thing has never worked right. I have taken it apart and it is actually a mechanical issue that needs an assembly line change. I won’t bore you with details. But my recommendation would be to just avoid any extra functions.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, hornbri said:

Sure I hesitate a little because everyone can have a lemon… first off we did not buy this fridge but it was purchased right before we moved in the house (I have the receipts). I will look at the model when I am home but two issues. 

First the condenser failed, I think it was around year 5. It was an easy fix and they had a repair guy out within a couple days. This one did not bother me that much. 

It also has indoor ice and water (I will never buy a fridge with this again) and that thing has never worked right. I have taken it apart and it is actually a mechanical issue that needs an assembly line change. I won’t bore you with details. But my recommendation would be to just avoid any extra functions.

I gotta say, we got a Kitchen Aid with water and ice in the door.  I figured I'd regret it in a couple of years, but it's been 12 and it's still going strong.  It's kind of a funky design, too, with the icemaker in the fridge and the "storage box" also in the fridge (french door).

I do not care for the french door design as it has to have this mechanical lip to seal the two doors together and that makes one of them hard to close.  And having to open both doors to access some of the compartments sucks dong, too.  And the drawer freezer kind of sucks, too. I'm going back to side-by-side as soon as I have to buy another. YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I went with a higher end (than I would have otherwise bought) Miele dishwasher due to shit experience with a Kitchenaid before that, despite it being top rated on Consumer Reports.
I was very happy with the Miele DW, it got dishes cleaner than I've ever seen...didn't realize all glasses had a haze until put next to one washed in the new DW.
Had to wait several months during the supply chain fun to get one. It was worth it. It showed up and was installed in early July.
The fucking thing died last week. No power...no circuits tripped. Miele didn't last as long as the crap-ass Kitchenaid.
Warranty service (in a big city) can't get to me for weeks.
Unrelated to mountain needs...everyone keep those old ass appliances as long as you can. My parents are still rocking appliances from when I was a kid. I've had to replace everything at least once, most of them more than once...or twice...or thrice. Redid kitchen in 2018/2019. Every single appliance (also replaced W/D) was CR top rated. Every single appliance failed, multiple times. My kids still have to defrost the freezer likes it's the fucking 50s. And now they get to wash the dishes by hand. Don't worry, they know how...because of the previous crap appliances. The microwave turns itself on...sure hope that faraday cage is sound.
Rant over...sorry. Enjoy the mountains may man.
Lot of truth here, we get lemons with every brand and because models evolve so quickly its hard to product research with any consistency. By the time the gremlins show up they've already modified the appliance and you are at year two with a piece of shit.

Make sure whomever is supplying the appliances has a great install team especially if you are doing inset or cabinet doors on the appliances. I won't use Fergusons in Austin for this. It's a painful disaster

Generally

Sucks: LG everything, Samsung fridges, anything Jenn Aire, I don't really fuck with lower end. GE Cafe is all over the place on quality and reliability.

Decent: Kitchenaid.

Usually Awesome: Bosch/ Thermador dish washers. The clean incredibly well and dry better if you open after cycle or have one that opens on its own- which most Miele do, and clean well. Most Miele have been reliable but a few problem models. Sub Zero is usually incredibly reliable. I just serviced a 48" that finally needed a compressor- I installed it in 2004. Bluestar has great customer service and I've had no issues with them so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1