High end kitchen appliances

I have a wolf range and a sub zero fridge/freezer sitting in a warehouse I’ll cut you a deal on. Delays set back kitchen renovations and I’m just not that interested in starting it now, but I have the appliances already. Renovations and additions have been shitty for the last 18 months and I’ve lost interest in another 3 month project that turns into 6.

• Like 1

I have a wolf range and a sub zero fridge/freezer sitting in a warehouse I’ll cut you a deal on. Delays set back kitchen renovations and I’m just not that interested in starting it now, but I have the appliances already. Renovations and additions have been shitty for the last 18 months and I’ve lost interest in another 3 month project that turns into 6.
What model/size is the Sub Zero?

We just moved in and are enjoying our appliances.

Bosch 800 dishwasher is money. 

Sub zero fridge is great. Stand alone ice maker is surprisingly nice. We wanted sonic ice and there was a mix up it’s bigger ice pieces but super fresh (and better for cocktails and scotch). Don’t over look the ice maker.

wolf induction range is surprisingly awesome. I don’t miss gas at all. I may prefer induction actually. 

we have wolf ovens, we haven’t used enough to know but no complaints.

wine storage is wolf. It does well. 100 bottles max, a little tight with about 60 bottles and dwindling stored.

second fridge and microwave are Samsung. Meh.  Don’t really care.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Brew said:

What model/size is the Sub Zero?

Have to go back and check, ordered them 18+ months ago. Pretty sure the fridge is the cl4850sd/s and the range is one of the 48” or 60” dual fuels with a Wolf hood.

54 minutes ago, troph said:

We just moved in and are enjoying our appliances.

Bosch 800 dishwasher is money. 

Sub zero fridge is great. Stand alone ice maker is surprisingly nice. We wanted sonic ice and there was a mix up it’s bigger ice pieces but super fresh (and better for cocktails and scotch). Don’t over look the ice maker.

wolf induction range is surprisingly awesome. I don’t miss gas at all. I may prefer induction actually. 

we have wolf ovens, we haven’t used enough to know but no complaints.

wine storage is wolf. It does well. 100 bottles max, a little tight with about 60 bottles and dwindling stored.

second fridge and microwave are Samsung. Meh.  Don’t really care.

I’m keeping the ice maker i ordered even if we don’t do anything with the kitchen. Our stand alone is getting old and needs to be replaced so we ordered a sonic ice version to replace it with. The stand alone ice maker comes in extremely handy.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

What model/size wolf?

On 3/13/2023 at 2:55 PM, Chewbacca said:
  • And probably some Bosch/Thermador dishwasher.  Or maybe Miele.

good call, top 5 Consumer Reports dishwashers

image.thumb.png.f2eccd69aa24344e76fca7545c62172d.png

can't recommend my Bosch enough. lots of options. looks like they updated it to include the new Thermadors from last time i looked, either way can't go wrong with those 2 companies.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:39 PM, Updawg said:

I replaced my last dishwasher with a cheap Bosch. It works solid. Wish I would have bought a better version though. It beeps incessantly when finished. I had no idea about the newer dw tech so just bought whatever was Bosch as cheap as possible. I should look how to program it to shut up

i have good news for you, you can turn it off this way it looks like!

https://removeandreplace.com/2018/03/25/how-to-turn-off-beeping-on-bosch-dishwasher-when-cycle-complete/

Replacing my Bosch dishwasher this weekend with either a Bosch series 6, or Miele G7000.  Bosch is generally considered mid, but reputationally for dishwashers they should be equal to Miele.  Also while Miele's popular claim is that most of their stuff is fully made in Germany (including componentry), many of the dishwashers are from Czechia...

My must-have feature on both is height adjustment on the racks, and auto-open feature so the washer can vent out after its done.

Edited by 52-80

20 hours ago, Brew said:

Have to go back and check, ordered them 18+ months ago. Pretty sure the fridge is the cl4850sd/s and the range is one of the 48” or 60” dual fuels with a Wolf hood.

A 48" SS dual fuel is what we are looking for

I mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I went with a higher end (than I would have otherwise bought) Miele dishwasher due to shit experience with a Kitchenaid before that, despite it being top rated on Consumer Reports.
I was very happy with the Miele DW, it got dishes cleaner than I've ever seen...didn't realize all glasses had a haze until put next to one washed in the new DW.
Had to wait several months during the supply chain fun to get one. It was worth it. It showed up and was installed in early July.
The fucking thing died last week. No power...no circuits tripped. Miele didn't last as long as the crap-ass Kitchenaid.
Warranty service (in a big city) can't get to me for weeks.
Unrelated to mountain needs...everyone keep those old ass appliances as long as you can. My parents are still rocking appliances from when I was a kid. I've had to replace everything at least once, most of them more than once...or twice...or thrice. Redid kitchen in 2018/2019. Every single appliance (also replaced W/D) was CR top rated. Every single appliance failed, multiple times. My kids still have to defrost the freezer likes it's the fucking 50s. And now they get to wash the dishes by hand. Don't worry, they know how...because of the previous crap appliances. The microwave turns itself on...sure hope that faraday cage is sound.
Rant over...sorry. Enjoy the mountains may man.
Disappointing to hear that about the Miele. I bought ours specifically for the reliability. Hoping it lasts.

Also on the fridge, Sub-Zero is the standard, but if money was no object I'd look at a True. BlueStar also makes some really nice looking built-ins although they are fairly new to the game.

I guess if you want them paneled those are out though.
Yes, wife is set on paneling fridge and DW.
  • Like 1

We’re wrapping up a remodel and did Wolf range / oven / vent with the Sub Zero fridge. Not cheap but the highest of quality. We had a Miele dishwasher that was pretty new and bullet proof and reinstalled that.
Good luck with your project, be mentally prepared for some delays and cost overruns from the start to mitigate the angst in a few months.

Huh.  Now we hear that Miele can be serviced in the mountains.  Gonna call to confirm but if that's the case we're going with the following:

• Miele 48" range with speed oven and griddle
  • Miele 30" steam oven
  • Sub Zero Designer column fridge/freezer (24" fridge, 18" freezer)
  • Bosch 800 dishwasher 

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Having installed both the $1600 Bosch and the $600 Bosch in the last 12 months, i wish i would have spent the extra grand

night and day difference for me

Which one is the $1,600 Bosch?  The 800 is ~$1,200.  The 800 is the one the appliance sales guy recommended to us.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Which one is the $1,600 Bosch?  The 800 is ~$1,200.  The 800 is the one the appliance sales guy recommended to us.

800 no exterior handle (frequent failure on the handle)

Paid 12 but when went for #2 same one was 16 so went with base model 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Other than the super fast boil and less risk of getting burned, why do people like induction so much? We had one in our current house when we moved in and switched back to gas. I didn't cook on it much because I didn't like it. My wife complained about it quite a bit. It was a fairly nice Miele too. What am I missing?

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Other than the super fast boil and less risk of getting burned, why do people like induction so much? We had one in our current house when we moved in and switched back to gas. I didn't cook on it much because I didn't like it. My wife complained about it quite a bit. It was a fairly nice Miele too. What am I missing?

For the reasons you just gave. It is faster, safer, and less hot (in Texas this matters especially in summer). Gas is great for woks. Other than that, I don’t get the gas love. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

For the reasons you just gave. It is faster, safer, and less hot (in Texas this matters especially in summer). Gas is great for woks. Other than that, I don’t get the gas love. 

I don't like cooking on glass cooktops.  Always afraid I'm gonna scratch it up or break it.  And I don't like how they look.  Give me gas all day long.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I don't like cooking on glass cooktops.  Always afraid I'm gonna scratch it up or break it.  And I don't like how they look.  Give me gas all day long.

Our new Wolf range is induction which takes a lot of getting used to and I sorta miss gas. Spot on with challenges keeping it clean and scratch free.
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:48 AM, Okie State said:

I prefer gas... and ive broken a glass cooktop (dropped a heavy pan on it). 

BUT it is much neater looking and cleaner.  Its only a few inches deep and drops into a bench, rather than attached to a huge oven.  Induction doesnt radiate heat, so food doesnt get burnt on.  And since its a glass top, you can wipe the entire thing clean.  No curves or crevices to work around.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:01 PM, DCLonghorn said:

I mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I went with a higher end (than I would have otherwise bought) Miele dishwasher due to shit experience with a Kitchenaid before that, despite it being top rated on Consumer Reports.

I was very happy with the Miele DW, it got dishes cleaner than I've ever seen...didn't realize all glasses had a haze until put next to one washed in the new DW.

Had to wait several months during the supply chain fun to get one. It was worth it. It showed up and was installed in early July.

The fucking thing died last week. No power...no circuits tripped. Miele didn't last as long as the crap-ass Kitchenaid.

Warranty service (in a big city) can't get to me for weeks.

Main circuit board failed... Keep those old analog appliances! 

11 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Main circuit board failed... Keep those old analog appliances! 

Wife’s grandmother had an old school avocado green dishwasher with the big buttons on front and whatnot. That thing probably used about 40 gallons a load, and sounded like a tugboat in the kitchen, but I’ll be damned if you couldn’t put the dirtiest dishes you could find in there and they not come out looking like day 1.    I’d love to have that old thing, and I’m pretty solidly happy with my Bosch.  Doesn’t compare though.  Cousins bought the house and put in shiny new appliances, dumbasses. 

Wait for  ordered Sub-Zero is currently 12 - 14 months. I'd go larger on the columns...both of ours are 36". It's nice to have the huge freezer, especially living on an island.
We are 2 years from being empty nesters. 24 and 18 should be good for us.

24 and 18 is still obviously the equivalent of a 42 which is a big ass fridge. I've considered just doing a single 36 column in the kitchen since we have a fridge in our utility room that has a freezer. We'll see. The Sub-Zero was cut from our recent renovation, but the cabinet is there for when we do get one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Okie State said:

24 and 18 is still obviously the equivalent of a 42 which is a big ass fridge. I've considered just doing a single 36 column in the kitchen since we have a fridge in our utility room that has a freezer. We'll see. The Sub-Zero was cut from our recent renovation, but the cabinet is there for when we do get one.

I've been looking at this stuff over the past few weeks. A lot of those 42" columns (maybe all of them) have less space than the large 36" refrigerators. The 24" fridge columns have about 13cf and the 18" freezers have less than 10cf.

I've been looking at this stuff over the past few weeks. A lot of those 42" columns (maybe all of them) have less space than the large 36" refrigerators. The 24" fridge columns have about 13cf and the 18" freezers have less than 10cf.
Regardless, 23 cf is plenty of space for two people. Our main fridge is 16 cf fridge/6 cf freezer and is more than enough for our family of four. We do have a secondary fridge for drinks only that is never close to full and isn't really necessary. Extra room just ends up storing shit you don't actually need and will toss in the garbage. I do get the appeal of a separate deep freeze if you want to stock up.
  • Like 1

Regardless, 23 cf is plenty of space for two people. Our main fridge is 16 cf fridge/6 cf freezer and is more than enough for our family of four. We do have a secondary fridge for drinks only that is never close to full and isn't really necessary. Extra room just ends up storing shit you don't actually need and will toss in the garbage. I do get the appeal of a separate deep freeze if you want to stock up.
Yep. My current fridge is 20cf for a family of 4. It gets tight at times, but 23 will be more than enough for 2 of us.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, Chewbacca said:

You can put silpats under the cookware on induction.  We've had ours for four years.  I cook on it constantly, and nary a scratch.  Like the man said, other than for woks (and being able to beat the shit out of it and cook when the power's out) there aren't any advantages to gas.

In my situation, I grew up cooking on gas and wanted a gas cooktop, but with the way our house is set up, running a gas line was going to cost $4K.  I figured I'd give induction a shot.  I haven't looked back.

15 minutes ago, Okie State said:
37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Ahh sorry I misunderstood. That's the exact configuration as my KitchenAid. It's the same fridge really.

Yeah, it's an efficient design, but 23cf is going to feel huge.