2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No idea if there is correlation, but this is the best tournament so far in a decade and maybe more. 

More good games than blowouts etc. lots of talent spread around. 

It’s the best basketball product there is at the moment. 

I've been thinking this, but I also figured it had something to do with Texas having its best postseason in 15 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No idea if there is correlation, but this is the best tournament so far in a decade and maybe more. 

It could be. Players want to play. Players transfer to where they can play.

At Pitt, we have been dreadful since late in Jamie’s tenure, then the Stallings debacle and the first couple years of the Capel era we had transfers going out; Luther went to Arizona and contributed, Cam Johnson helped UNC win a title, Carr is at Texas, X. Johnson played a lot for Indiana, Audiese Toney starred at Arkansas, etc.

This year, four of our starters transferred in, lo and behold we are back in the NCAA. It’s only one example but, it has worked for Pitt.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The Covid year has plenty to do with it as well. Once we get past the 2025 tournament and no more Covid seasons, the maturity of teams will be normalized again.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Covid year has plenty to do with it as well. Once we get past the 2025 tournament and no more Covid seasons, the maturity of teams will be normalized again.

Yeah, good point.  I always go back to what a buddy of mine said about his offensive line career, we both started college at 17, and Dave said, “I would have loved to have my 24-year old man strength against a 19-year old”.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I've been thinking this, but I also figured it had something to do with Texas having its best postseason in 15 years. 

It's a huge part of it.  Usually we are already out and my interest wanes. 

On 3/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, HtownHorn said:

When the NBA gets rid of the 1 and done the NCAA should look into extending eligibility to graduate students. What is the harm?  More kids with advanced degrees?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 3/22/2023 at 1:52 PM, Js1 said:

Kerr Kriisa (Arizona) entered the portal. Bobby Pettiford (KU) as well. Rumor that KU will only return 4 scholarship players, between graduates, pros and transfers out. 

Kerr was a boy among men in the NCAA tournament. What little 'Zona experienced of it, that is...largely due to Kerr being a boy among men. 

UNC's leading scorer this season. Was a 5* guy out of high school (https://247sports.com/player/caleb-love-46049829/). I dont pay a lot of attention to UNC, but the few times I have seen a media piece on Hubert Davis, he seems like a good guy. But missing the tourney when coaching in Chapel Hill probably starts to warm that coaching seat.

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

UNC's leading scorer this season. Was a 5* guy out of high school (https://247sports.com/player/caleb-love-46049829/). I dont pay a lot of attention to UNC, but the few times I have seen a media piece on Hubert Davis, he seems like a good guy. But missing the tourney when coaching in Chapel Hill probably starts to warm that coaching seat.

Very inconsistent. A bit of a chucker. Some high highs and some really low lows as a player.  

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Love is basically 2022 Marcus Carr with attitude issues from what it sounds like. Shoots the ball, a lot, and it inflates his scoring totals while his FG% and 3P% are below average.

Yes I actually thinking of drawing a comparison to 2022 Carr. But with attitude issues. Not sure he likes being coached or Hubie wasn’t the right guy to do it 

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Didn’t see this posted yet. I wonder if we will be in the mix on him

Reading a bit about him, Oregon fans say it doesn’t even look like he really enjoys playing basketball. 

If we luck into more Disu-, Bishop-, Carr-, Allen- and especially Rice-types, I'd be down for that. Would rather have any number of them than a mega-star with attitude who wants to make it all about him.

The chemistry and camaraderie the previous group had was rare, but I'm hoping Terry and Co. can make the magic happen again.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said we will reach out, but he was a Beard/Maligi guy.

Looking at Shedrick, the Virginia center as well. Don’t know where they sit with either one, though. 

Theres a big guard they’re looking at on the west coast to kind of fill the Sir Jabari Rice role. Rice was a bit of a unicorn. He became my favorite player on the whole team. Not sure how replaceable he is, but that’s the idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Looking at Shedrick, the Virginia center as well. Don’t know where they sit with either one, though. 

Theres a big guard they’re looking at on the west coast to kind of fill the Sir Jabari Rice role. Rice was a bit of a unicorn. He became my favorite player on the whole team. Not sure how replaceable he is, but that’s the idea. 

Here’s the guard, BTW Reese Dixon-Waters. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alabama-mbb-reaches-usc-guard-205539102.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9dXNjK2d1YXJkK3RyYW5zZmVyKzZ0aCttYW4mZm9ybT1BUElQSDEmUEM9QVBQTA&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGV8OMmR02mMVcdd0Y51O_kV6Cz199B0tdWevbQNy2njhEoxCPuMzjEQBhXazkUawTLQHoXZo-5UmlRU8fpdKfFYyf_zlBzBctUn9eE6ytItH4vbd2C-BHCuDtzMYdM8qq54b39hZFsC7vVI4IPnlkP9r2hc67xAxFByP8ZS8fCg

On 3/27/2023 at 6:23 PM, Blotto said:

On 3/27/2023 at 6:26 PM, Js1 said:

Very inconsistent. A bit of a chucker. Some high highs and some really low lows as a player.  

On 3/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Love is basically 2022 Marcus Carr with attitude issues from what it sounds like. Shoots the ball, a lot, and it inflates his scoring totals while his FG% and 3P% are below average.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, Js1 said:

Yes I actually thinking of drawing a comparison to 2022 Carr. But with attitude issues. Not sure he likes being coached or Hubie wasn’t the right guy to do it 

At the ACC I was talking with a booster who seemed to be pretty much an insider and he said that there were a lot of problems in the locker room this season and that a lot of that was being placed on Love as the protagonist and source of friction.

Who knows? Some folks just don't get along with each other so it could be true, or not.