2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

That is exactly the kind of player I want.  A 4 year guy at the same successful school his whole college career, who just wants a change.  Kind of like getting your 4-year degree and then going to grad school somewhere else for a change of pace.

NOT a player who leaves after a year because they aren't getting playing time or are feuding with the coach.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

That is exactly the kind of player I want.  A 4 year guy at the same successful school his whole college career, who just wants a change.  Kind of like getting your 4-year degree and then going to grad school somewhere else for a change of pace.

NOT a player who leaves after a year because they aren't getting playing time or are feuding with the coach.

Maybe Rick will do a favor for his old pal Rodney

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

He's a guy you look at if others leave. Right now, you have good wing depth with Johnson, Holland, Cunningham, Mitchell, and Anamewke. Really, only Mitchell might leave so I'd be all for Texas making a run for him if Mitchell goes pro.

Johnson is a PG and Nkamhoua is better than all of our returning forwards. in fact as of right now he's probably better (or maybe more impactful) than ron holland. he would be a great addition, a slightly more versatile and athletic christian bishop. he's a grown man who can contribute on both ends. not a star player, but very solid piece for a major d-1 team.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/29/2023 at 10:38 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

At the ACC I was talking with a booster who seemed to be pretty much an insider and he said that there were a lot of problems in the locker room this season and that a lot of that was being placed on Love as the protagonist and source of friction.

Who knows? Some folks just don't get along with each other so it could be true, or not.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Yeah, I’d much rather be bringing in 4th years who are proven than 5 star flame outs who are already leaving after one year. Those guys don’t have good track records. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He's a guy you look at if others leave. Right now, you have good wing depth with Johnson, Holland, Cunningham, Mitchell, and Anamewke. Really, only Mitchell might leave so I'd be all for Texas making a run for him if Mitchell goes pro.

This is such an incredibly dumb post. He will be better next year than every guy you just listed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Lol Nkamhoua is better than any forward on our roster and he can play multiple positions. They should take him instantly if he wants to come here. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Should be our top priority. Maybe the 2nd best scoring big in college basketball.

No. This dude is a fucking asshole and a PR nightmare. Fully expect Beard to go  grab him and Caleb Grill 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No. This dude is a fucking asshole and a PR nightmare. Fully expect Beard to go  grab him and Caleb Grill 

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Should be our top priority. Maybe the 2nd best scoring big in college basketball.

As a Michigan fan, I am not at all upset about this. He was an absolute beast his freshman year, and has regressed each season since. He gives about 5% effort, and gets pissy and takes dumb fouls so often.  His effort is a huge reason why Michigan would go 5+ minutes without a bucket almost every game. 

Michigan is going to suck next year, so I understand why he is leaving but he is not going to be a plug and play guy IMO. Unless he is going to be your first big off the bench, and i don't think he would go to a place where that is the case.

Thanks for the memories hunter, we will always have your freshman year. shocking that you are leaving instead of trying to go down as an all time Michigan great, but par for the course with Hunter, when the going gets tough. Dickenson starts pouting. 

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Michigan is going to suck next year, so I understand why he is leaving but he is not going to be a plug and play guy IMO. Unless he is going to be your first big off the bench, and i don't think he would go to a place where that is the case.

I get you're a Michigan fan but lulz at "unless he is going to be your first big off the bench." 

Dickinson is going to be the top transfer in the portal and every major program will want him. EvanMiya has Dickinson as the top player in the portal and it's not particularly close. 

https://evanmiya.com/

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I get you're a Michigan fan but lulz at "unless he is going to be your first big off the bench." 

Dickinson is going to be the top transfer in the portal and every major program will want him. EvanMiya has Dickinson as the top player in the portal and it's not particularly close. 

He's going to end up in the DMV area is what is heavily speculated - Maryland or Georgetown probably. 

I understand.

As I said he isn’t going to go to a situation where he is the first big off the bench, but that would be a good situation for him. Or going to a place where ks is the number 1 2 and 3 options. But watching him go from great to good to indifferent over the span of 3 seasons I am telling you he isn’t someone you want on your team if you are close. If he was the player he was 3 years ago Michigan fans would be upset. No one is upset about him leaving and it’s really a “good riddance” feeling about his entering the portal. He isn’t going to come in and gel.

The report from ant wright is he wants to compete for a championship. If that is the case he would accept a role player position because he isn’t the guy he was when he burst on the scene

Just now, Juicy said:

I understand. But watching him go from great to good to indifferent over the span of 3 seasons I am telling you he isn’t someone you want on your team if you are close. If he was the player he was 3 years ago Michigan fans would be upset. No one is upset about him leaving and it’s really a “good riddance” feeling about his entering the portal. He isn’t going to come in and gel.

The report from ant wright is he wants to compete for a championship. If that is the case he would accept a role player position because he isn’t the guy he was when he burst on the scene

He needs to keep his fat mouth off podcasts. He’s the biggest shit talker. I don’t think that’s the culture Rodney is looking to build 

He's going to end up in the DMV area is what is heavily speculated - Maryland or Georgetown probably. 

He could definitely go to Georgetown and be the man. He wouldn’t win shit but that may be the best situation for him. Let him go somewhere he can go for 30 every night as a first option to keep him engaged.

The first time a play is drawn up to anyone other than him he sulks around the court for 3 minutes with his fake run.

Love the guy. But also hate the guy because he just doesn’t give a shit.

Juwan Howard is a bad coach.  All the bitching about players lacking intangibles or whatever goes hand in hand with the team losing because they have a bad coach.  Dickinson averaged 18.5 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks on 56% shooting this year.  He will wreck shop wherever he goes, and if he chooses a good team with a good coach that wins the “narrative” will suddenly be reversed.

Howard is a horrible coach. Dickinson has no effort. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

56% isn’t great when 75% of the shots are in the paint.

Can Dickinson go somewhere and get back to being an absolute beast? Sure. But it’s going to take a good situation for that to happen. And unfortunately with where hunters head is at it doesn’t seem like he is going to pick the best situation.

I read that he was top 10 in NIL for MBBall. Seems odd to leave that unless you can get that somewhere else. Especially since it doesn’t look like he is going to have a pro career unless it is overseas.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Juwan Howard is a bad coach.  All the bitching about players lacking intangibles or whatever goes hand in hand with the team losing because they have a bad coach.  Dickinson averaged 18.5 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks on 56% shooting this year.  He will wreck shop wherever he goes, and if he chooses a good team with a good coach that wins the “narrative” will suddenly be reversed.

See Marcus Carr. He was a chucker that played no defense. 

If you put talented players in the right system they will produce. Dickinson is a much more talented player than Carr too. 

It's interesting that Dickinson isn't even considering the pro-option. If this dude was legit as y'all make him out to be, he'd be heading to the NBA. Same with the kid from Tennessee that scored 27 against Duke and then 6 against fucking FAU, though I did see where he's going through the draft process. Remind me again, one out of the 4 remaining teams has a legit center. You win with guard and wing players in college basketball, not with the Hunter Dickinson's.

It's interesting that Dickinson isn't even considering the pro-option. If this dude was legit as y'all make him out to be, he'd be heading to the NBA. Same with the kid from Tennessee that scored 27 against Duke and then 6 against fucking FAU, though I did see where he's going through the draft process. Remind me again, one out of the 4 remaining teams has a legit center. You win with guard and wing players in college basketball, not with the Hunter Dickinson's.

zach edey and luka garza are recent examples of NPOY winners who play his position in his conference, and both guys stayed in college because they won't be nearly as good as pros. look at Oscar Tshiebwe transferring from WV to UK. he's not in the pros and he's a beast. it's the same with dickinson. he's easily got All American potential. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He absolutely has all American potential. He just doesn’t seem to give a shit to reach that potential.

He sulks way too much. Put him in the right situation and he could be amazing. Put him in a situation where he isn’t the focus and everything doesn’t go his way and he is JAG.

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

zach edey and luka garza are recent examples of NPOY winners who play his position in his conference, and both guys stayed in college because they won't be nearly as good as pros. look at Oscar Tshiebwe transferring from WV to UK. he's not in the pros and he's a beast. it's the same with dickinson. he's easily got All American potential. 

I can’t believe there are actually people arguing against taking Dickinson. I guess they’ve never watched him play.

He’s been one of the best scoring bigs in college basketball the past couple of years. He’s worth any potential risk and there’s a reason everyone has him as their top transfer. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I can’t believe there are actually people arguing against taking Dickinson. I guess they’ve never watched him play.

He’s been one of the best scoring bigs in college basketball the past couple of years. He’s worth any potential risk and there’s a reason everyone has him as their top transfer. 

Because he makes no sense in what Texas wants to do offensively and defensively. Is likely a poor chemistry fit, and not someone that maximizes his talents and abilities.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because he makes no sense in what Texas wants to do offensively and defensively. Is likely a poor chemistry fit, and not someone that maximizes his talents and abilities.

He's a better version of Disu and you don't think he fits offensively? Quite the take. 

Dickinson shot 42.3% from 3 this year and can score at all 3 levels. He's a fit anywhere offensively because he can score and shoot. Come on man. 

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He's a better version of Disu and you don't think he fits offensively? Quite the take. 

Dickinson shot 42.3% from 3 this year and can score at all 3 levels. He's a fit anywhere offensively because he can score and shoot. Come on man. 

Thanks for the research. I didn't realize he had range out that far. Looks like he would be a better fit than I initially thought.

• Haha 2

From IT, nothing really new

Spoiler

Texas head coach Rodney Terry spent part of Final Four weekend in Houston talking with two or three potential associate head coach candidates, both in person and via phone. 

Last week, IT heard that a decision on the associate head coach could come by late this week. That would make sense with the staff scheduled to hit the road Thursday to go see portal and high school recruits. 

The first part of the week will be dedicated toward getting the current roster’s likely returnees established as much as possible. IT continues to expect the staff to be aggressive in the portal, starting with in-person visits this week. 

Portal names heard most continue to be USC transfer guard Reese Dixon-Waters , Virginia big man transfer Kadin Shedrickand UNC transfer guard Caleb Love. Texas is communicating with more players than just those three, to be clear. 

I wonder if any of our guys will portal if they don’t get good feedback from the nba scouts. I don’t think we have anyone close to nba ready so they should either be back or portal. If we want to sell them on winning a championship you sell coming back creates chemistry and we need to build on what we just did. 

Gimme gimme gimme

Big Sky MVP Steele Venters to transfer from Eastern Washington | The Spokesman-Review

The 6-foot-7 Venters led the Eagles in scoring and 3-point shooting each of the past two seasons. He averaged 15.3 points per game this most recent season while making 78 of 210 3-pointers (37.1%).

With 1,130 career points, Venters ranks 18th on Eastern’s all-time scoring list. His career free-throw percentage of 85.9 is also the best in program history, and his 168 made 3-pointers rank eighth.