2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

On 3/28/2023 at 12:15 PM, SL Xpress said:

Looking at Shedrick, the Virginia center as well. Don’t know where they sit with either one, though. 

Theres a big guard they’re looking at on the west coast to kind of fill the Sir Jabari Rice role. Rice was a bit of a unicorn. He became my favorite player on the whole team. Not sure how replaceable he is, but that’s the idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It feels like Arkansas is literally talking to anyone and everyone who enters the portal.

I know that was a part of our strategy last year. We’d try very hard to be the first ones to contact players and the first question we asked was “would you be interested in hearing from Texas.”

Cross posting from 2023-2024 thread...

Texas has reached out to Dickinson, but Maryland appears to be the front runner after a recent coaching hire.

Texas has reached out to Tylor Perry, guard from North Texas. Tech people think Texas leads, and Gerry likes him more than a lot of others in the portal.

Was bored so looked at the timelines from the last two transfer cycles. Can’t wait to see how the roster looks in a couple months.

Sir’Jabari: entered March 29th, committed April 19th

Tyrese: entered April 18th, committed May 27th

2021 (didn’t bother on Tre Mitchell/Askew)

Carr: entered March 17th, committed July 19th

Timmy: entered March 26th, committed April 13th

Disu: entered April 21st, committed April 26th

Bishop: entered March 31st, committed April 16th

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Damn, Marcus took his TIME

I believe he withdrew from the draft near the deadline so makes sense.

I get why Tyrese is going through the same process, but I’m sure it makes the coaches’ jobs a bit more difficult when portal recruiting not knowing for sure if he’ll be back.

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That askew kid is a great example on why you go after for sure college 4 year guys that have already produced rather than a ex 5 star that bomber his first year. Give me all the 5th year seniors.

I would have rather played Licon over Askew last year. Damn was that guy frustrating to watch.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This made me curious. 

this last season at Cal

15/3/3 on 37/30/86 splits (14 shots per game) 

I think he has some talent and seemed like a solid guy, but something about his game was just off at Texas and Kentucky. Good for him for letting the shots fly this season.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This made me curious. 

this last season at Cal

15/3/3 on 37/30/86 splits (14 shots per game) 

He was also injured a ton but I went and looked too and he improved after leaving Texas so good for him. Still would rather have a finished product show up than another project 5 star.

I’m sure every coaching staff in the country has tried, but Gerry said we are talking to Max Abmas.

Hopefully AJ Johnson is good with being one of the first guys coming off the bench if an elite level guard transfer hops on board. If he does end up bailing for the NBL then ideally there’s enough time for the coaches to find a decent replacement. Maybe the 6th man out of USC is our current contingency there, because I feel like another primary ball handler is more important than a combo guard with the current shape of the roster.

Day one of the offseason and I’m already dreaming of an Abmas/Hunter/Morris/Holland/Disu group with AJ, Brock, Brumbaugh, Anamekwe, and a decent portal rim protector (if Mitchell leaves as expected) in the rotation. That’s another top ten group on paper I’d say. Also a fan of this Tylor Perry out of UNT too if you want someone likely more attainable than Abmas. On the other end in a worst case scenario we could possibly lose Hunter, Morris, Disu, and AJ. I’d rather not think about where we would go from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

He was also injured a ton but I went and looked too and he improved after leaving Texas so good for him. Still would rather have a finished product show up than another project 5 star.

I'm not sure he got better, he just plays on a shit awful team now (cal was 3-29), so he can jack up more shots: 

image.thumb.png.fd6ec0ba8183e15be9303b07b54e2195.png

His FT % and rebounding improved, but his shooting, assist, and turnover numbers all got slightly worse. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed like the slowest guard with the ball in his hands. Not gonna miss the dude. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

UH got Damain Dunn from Temple today. They are also in on Cryer, but with Shead, Cryer might want to play elsewhere. A KSU insider said that Tang and Cryer don't have a great relationship.

Damn if we could add Cryer and Abmas. The last time we had a backcourt that could shoot that well would be Augustin and Abrams.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

UH got Damain Dunn from Temple today. They are also in on Cryer, but with Shead, Cryer might want to play elsewhere. A KSU insider said that Tang and Cryer don't have a great relationship.

Damn if we could add Cryer and Abmas. The last time we had a backcourt that could shoot that well would be Augustin and Abrams.

Each are 6'0 or a tad shorter. I'm not sure Cryer wants to go anywhere he can't start or be the primary ball handler. I can't see Texas getting both.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Each are 6'0 or a tad shorter. I'm not sure Cryer wants to go anywhere he can't start or be the primary ball handler. I can't see Texas getting both.

Abmas would play off the ball. Augustin and Abrams were both sub 6' as well. You just need to surround them with size.

Gerry

Spoiler

Latest on Portal Targets

Rodney Terry and Brandon Chappell met with USC transfer guard Reese Dixon-Waters and family on Thursday in Southern California. 

The Longhorns’ competition for the 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard is UCLA with San Diego State also looking to make a run. The Longhorns visit went very well, as expected, according to a source close to the recruitment. Texas is currently expecting the 2022-23 Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year to make an official visit. The key in the entire recruitment will be Dixon-Waters’ willingness to leave the home state with the Bruins and Aztecs wanting the talented guard in their programs. 

Texas continues to have very good communication with Oral Roberts transfer guard Max Abmas. There have been more than a handful of conversations thus far, and the feeling is Texas is right there with a realistic shot in the recruitment. There is a lot of Wichita State chatter due to Paul Mills leaving ORU for the Shockers. Baylor and Kansas State are also receiving some mention. Abmas played in high school at Dallas Jesuit. 

Texas is also in conversations with two or three other guards in the portal, but the recruitments of Dixon-Waters and Abmas will take center stage until decisions are made. 

Texas looking for bigs in the portal

The Longhorns are expected to add at least one big in the portal. Two is not out of the question at all. 

Texas is expected to receive a visit from Virginia big man transfer Kadin Shedrick. The 6-foot-10.5 versatile big man has Indiana and Duke among the schools that are showing real interest. The holly Springs, North Carolina native has had a number of conversations with Terry and staff, as has the family. 

A second big out of the portal could come from a player with the ability to stretch the floor out to 22-23 feet. 

Texas is in communication with a handful of bigs, including a couple that would be familiar names to Texas fans. 

There continues to be optimism that Dylan Disu could return to Texas for a final season. But that doesn’t mean Texas wouldn’t add two bigs from the portal headed into the 2023-24 season.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Cisse is a monster defensively, he would be a huge get for us. 

Yeah, Oklahoma State was a different team when he came back from injury. He's one of the best interior defenders and rebounders in the country.

He's a much better big than Shedrick and Texas should get involved while Shedrick takes visits.