2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

19 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, Oklahoma State was a different team when he came back from injury. He's one of the best interior defenders and rebounders in the country.

He's a much better big than Shedrick and Texas should get involved while Shedrick takes visits. 

I'd take a chance on the next Prince Ibeh, sure. 

54 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cisse already transferred from Memphis to OSU, and he isn't graduating. Doesn't he have to sit out a year now unless he meets some standard like coaching change or season ending injury which doesn't apply here?

there is always an excuse that works(see Izzo comments)...except when Texas is involved, then the NCAA actually decides to get out the rule book.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Arterio to the portal 

Freshman Arterio Morris says he's leaving Texas men's basketball program

Thomas Jones      AAS

The Texas men’s basketball program took a big hit late Monday afternoon when freshman guard Arterio Morris announced his decision to enter the transfer portal.

“I have discussed my future with my family and I’ve decided to enter my name in the transfer portal to find a new home that will allow me to grow as a basketball player, maximize my ability to support my teammates and help my team win games,” Morris told On3 in a statement.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported me along the way, particularly my family, coaches, teammates and fans,” he continued. “Without all of you, I would not be where I am today. I am excited for the next steps of my journey. I will continue to work to be the best person I can, both on and off the floor.”

Morris, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard from Dallas, was a five-star recruit and a high school McDonald's All-American. He was a part of Texas’ nine-man rotation this season, and averaged 4.6 points and 1.4 rebounds in 11.8 minutes per game while helping the Longhorns to a 29-9 record and a spot in the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight. He proved particularly effective on the defensive end and regularly matched up with an opponent’s top perimeter threat when in the game.

Morris’ departure heightens the need for Texas to find backcourt help. Sophomore Tyrese Hunter is the lone guard in the program with playing experience, and he has declared his eligibility for this summer’s NBA draft. Hunter still retains his college eligibility.

A.J. Johnson, a 6-foot-6 combo guard ranked as the 25th-best overall prospect in the nation in 2023 by ESPN, also could factor into the backcourt rotation next season.

Morris leaves Texas with legal issues still pending. He was arrested on a Class A misdemeanor charge of assaulting his girlfriend last June in Denton County and charged with causing bodily injury to a family member, which includes dating relationships in the state of Texas. The charge stems from a June 2022 confrontation in Frisco, a suburb north of Dallas. The charge carries penalties ranging from probation and fines of up to a year in jail if convicted.

Morris’ trial date is set for June 14.

20 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

I don’t get the Morris transfer.  He was in line to be a key contributor next season.  Was it just the older players that loved Terry so much?  Does Terry have a big haul coming in through the portal, relegating Morris to a back-up role again?  

Not really that hard to understand. The guy thought he should have played more this past year and seems to have a lot of people talking his ear off about what he should do. Seems to also desire a role (primary ball handler) that we wouldn’t guarantee him, which is smart on our part. The kid has potential if he improves on certain aspect of his game so it’s a shame he’s leaving, but if I’m the coaching staff I’m certainly not bending over backwards to make guarantees and promises to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not really that hard to understand. The guy thought he should have played more this past year and seems to have a lot of people talking his ear off about what he should do. Seems to also desire a role (primary ball handler) that we wouldn’t guarantee him, which is smart on our part. The kid has potential if he improves on certain aspect of his game so it’s a shame he’s leaving, but if I’m the coaching staff I’m certainly not bending over backwards to make guarantees and promises to him.

Do you know any of this for a fact or are you trying to rationalize a big loss. We don't know who the coaching staff mah be able to get to replace him. As it stands now, it's a big loss. We will celebrate if and when we land someone better. Everyone wanted Terry because that would guarantee continuity and that he could keep our star players and recruits. We are losing two of our star underclassmen so far.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Do you know any of this for a fact or are you trying to rationalize a big loss. We don't know who the coaching staff mah be able to get to replace him. As it stands now, it's a big loss. We will celebrate if and when we land someone better. Everyone wanted Terry because that would guarantee continuity and that he could keep our star players and recruits. We are losing two of our star underclassmen so far.

Welcome to the portal.  Expect to have an unexpected leave every year and to have 2-3 new guys coming in.  There’s no such thing as getting and stashing a talented freshman to build up a program. Too much opportunity to play and play how you want.  Brumbaugh left to go to 7-25 Georgetown because he wants minutes.  Morris will go somewhere where he can have the ball in his hands 80% of possessions.  It is what it is.

Gotta be able to replace em in the portal.  You get the usc kid, Abmas and the Virginia big guy plus Disu possibly back and we’re sitting just fine.  If you’re looking for retention of low to no minute playing freshman (especially on a team with multiple 5th year seniors), good luck finding a coach that you can have faith in. 

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Expect to have an unexpected leave every year and to have 2-3 new guys coming in.

You’re not even close. We’re talking about 5-6 portals needed plus the two freshmen. Our current roster is Brock Cunningham and Anamekwe. That’s it.  Mitchell. Hunter, and Disu are maybes. 

Untie your panties and wait this thing out. Morris (who’s pretty much had one foot out the door since February) had “star potential” but so does AJ. So that’s a wash. And Bombraugh or whatever his name is was a scrub. Makes room for someone better.

7 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Two of our star underclassmen? Or….our only two underclassmen? Are you including Brumbaugh as a ‘star’?

There is not one person who said “man, if we hire Terry full time that guarantees Mitchell and Morris will return for their sophomore seasons. We have to do it.” The continuity comments centered more around the staff and recruiting. If Morris is our “big loss” of the offseason, then we did better than 90% of programs.

Curious, do you think Morris will have a better sophomore season than Jaylon Tyson (11 points per game, 48% from the field and 40% from 3)? 

Edited by Hookem2147

Something to ponder about the portal and Texas. I want to say the batting average of kids that take visits and eventually come play for the program is extremely high. I say this because Shedrick is coming in for a visit and Abmas and Dixon are setting theirs up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is not one person who said “man, if we hire Terry full time that guarantees Mitchell and Morris will return for their sophomore seasons. We have to do it.” The continuity comments centered more around the staff and recruiting.

I think it's hilarious seeing it now, considering both were thought to be one and dones, and we got an E8 appearance out of their one year. You take that every year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Something to ponder about the portal and Texas. I want to say the batting average of kids that take visits and eventually come play for the program is extremely high. I say this because Shedrick is coming in for a visit and Abmas and Dixon are setting theirs up.

I-want-to-believe GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it's hilarious seeing it now, considering both were thought to be one and dones, and we got an E8 appearance out of their one year. You take that every year.

We saw it with Tyson and now with Mitchell and now with Morris. It takes a special type of talent to come in and make a huge impact as a freshman. Good news is I think Ron Holland is that type of talent and is way more polished entering college than any of the 3 guys mentioned above. 

Experience wins the big games. I have zero regrets playing Morris and Mitchell the minutes we did, and if they failed to see they have a lot of work to do to reach the point where they are playing 20+ minutes on a contending team, then that’s not our problem and they will see that if the try to go transfer to another big name program. Would have loved to kept Morris but not at the expense of passing up a veteran guard in the portal and turning ball handling duties over to him 20 minutes a game.

Morris honestly needs to go to SMU or Tulsa some such where he can try to out athlete everyone.

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Shedrick appears to be visiting all 5 of his finalist.

Cross posting from another thread

Portal update from Gerry Hamilton 

Spoiler

Texas hoops portal competition

Virginia transfer Kadin Shedrick will make an official visit April 18. Some people believe Duke will be the choice because he’s from Holly Springs, N.C. and stayed in the ACC out of high school. We shall see on that. Texas has a legit shot here. Kansas State is a sleeper, and Missouri is making a run. Xavier is the fifth school on the visit list. 

Inside Texas also believes Kansas State is the top competition in the portal recruitment of ORU transfer guard Max Abmas. IT does not believe Wichita State would be the pick. Abmas is expected to make a visit to Texas in the next couple of weeks. 

USC transfer guard Reese Dixon-Watersis close to locking in a visit date to Texas. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year is expected to choose out of Texas and UCLA. San Diego State has attempted to make a run, but IT does not believe that will be the pick as of today. 

A second big the Longhorns like in the portal is Kalib Boone. Boone and the Longhorns have had multiple discussions thus far.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Two of our star underclassmen? Or….our only two underclassmen? Are you including Brumbaugh as a ‘star’?

There is not one person who said “man, if we hire Terry full time that guarantees Mitchell and Morris will return for their sophomore seasons. We have to do it.” The continuity comments centered more around the staff and recruiting. If Morris is our “big loss” of the offseason, then we did better than 90% of programs.

Curious, do you think Morris will have a better sophomore season than Jaylon Tyson (11 points per game, 48% from the field and 40% from 3)? 

I see the backtracking has already started. Keeping the recruits is not continuity because they were never a part of the team. People were saying we would keep the team together because players loved Terry. Perhaps we could get Mitchell to come back. Nobody was saying Morris would leave. Wishing that the incoming players are better than the ones we are losing is an Aggy thing to do. You don't know if AJ would have more impact as a freshman than a sophomore morris. He wouldn't be a big loss if we didn't lose all the upperclassmen. 

Like I said, it's a loss until we have a legit replacement and hope we don't lose other key returning players.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

People were saying we would keep the team together because players loved Terry

I never saw people saying this. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

"Nobody was saying Morris would leave"...there will people on this board in February who said they were hearing in AAU circles that he was already floating his name out there.

People did point out that if Terry was retained, Johnson and Holland would end up on campus which is significant for the upcoming season. 

We were losing about half of our scholarship players whether Rodney Terry or John Wooden was named head coach. If people thought that retaining Terry meant all 7 scholarship players eligible to return would do so, then that's their fault for having unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I never saw people saying this. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. 

People did point out that if Terry was retained, Johnson and Holland would end up on campus which is significant for the upcoming season. 

We were losing about half of our scholarship players whether Rodney Terry or John Wooden was named head coach. If people thought that retaining Terry meant all 7 scholarship players eligible to return would do so, then that's their fault for having unrealistic expectations.

We need a good ball handler in a worst way. Morris was developing nicely into that role and he had been in the system for a year. I am truly bummed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We need a good ball handler in a worst way. Morris was developing nicely into that role and he had been in the system for a year. I am truly bummed.

Lol what? Morris is a scoring 2 guard and wasn’t going to be running point much at all next season if Hunter returns. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We definitely don't see eye to eye on this then because ball-handling was probably the worst aspect of Morris' game this past year. He needs to play off the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hadn’t realized Kalib Boone entered the portal. I would really like that move. 

He’s tough and versatile from a position perspective. You can play him at the 4 or 5. He’s one of the most underrated players in the portal. 

Gerry reported today, Texas and Boone have had multiple conversations, but he's likely behind Shedrick and Disu returning. Boone is too good to be the 3rd big, so hopefully he doesn't make a quick decision until Texas has commitments from Shedrick and Disu.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Gerry reported today, Texas and Boone have had multiple conversations, but he's likely behind Shedrick and Disu returning. Boone is too good to be the 3rd big, so hopefully he doesn't make a quick decision until Texas has commitments from Shedrick and Disu.

I’m just not sure Shedrick or Disu should have much of an impact on Boone. 

Boone is going to primarily play the 4 and the other 2 at the 5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Untie your panties and wait this thing out. Morris (who’s pretty much had one foot out the door since February) had “star potential” but so does AJ. So that’s a wash. And Bombraugh or whatever his name is was a scrub. Makes room for someone better.

morris and johnson are not a wash. johnson has spent the last year playing kiddie hoops and aau ball against outmatched opponents with carte blanche to do whatever he wants. morris has spent the last year training with and playing against grown men, defending big xii guards, and training in a high D-1 s&c program, all at UT and under rodney terry. as of right now Morris is by far the more game ready player.

also, this seems to come up every offseason, for everyone out there who's all excited about our incoming freshmen, do me a favor and name every true impact freshman of the last 25 years. it's a very short list. now i will say that ron holland absolutely has the potential to become the next name on that list, but 4/5 of not 9/10 i'll take a second year stud guard who had a quiet year like morris over a highly rated freshman, especially at the guard spots.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

morris would have been one of our top 3 returning players, one year removed from being the no.1 PG in the country. he's got a decent shot from three, he can actually shoot off the dribble some, and he's wildly explosive both off the dribble and off the bounce. and as mentioned, he's got a year of actually playing d-1 basketball and strength training under his belt. there's no other way to slice it- that's a big loss. 

look at Austin's own KJ Adams. he barely played at all his freshman year at KU and averaged 1ppg. this last season he was the most improved player in America and was huge piece for the outright big xii champions. people act like we're losing the freshman version of arterio morris from his senior laden team where he barely played. look no further than KJ Adams to see what you could be losing when you give up on a freshman who didn't rock your tits off his freshman season.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re not even close. We’re talking about 5-6 portals needed plus the two freshmen. Our current roster is Brock Cunningham and Anamekwe. That’s it.  Mitchell. Hunter, and Disu are maybes. 

This specific year yes.  I was talking more in general than us specifically.  

I’m thinking we look something like this 

Guards: Hunter, Abams (ORU), Johnson, Perry (UNT), Dixon-Waters (USC)

Forwards/Centers:  Disu, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Holland, Shedrick (UVA)

13 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This specific year yes.  I was talking more in general than us specifically.  

I’m thinking we look something like this 

Guards: Hunter, Abams (ORU), Johnson, Perry (UNT), Dixon-Waters (USC)

Forwards/Centers:  Disu, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Holland, Shedrick (UVA)

Perry listed his top 12 schools and we didn't make the list.

Really hopeful for Abmas though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We definitely don't see eye to eye on this then because ball-handling was probably the worst aspect of Morris' game this past year. He needs to play off the ball.

Every time Morris got the ball he passed or jacked up a 3. He's so quick that I always wanted him to take it to the hoop. He never did.

Maybe he's a good ball handler but he sure didn't show that at Texas last season.

Derka is right about freshman but it's more about young players in general. Which is why we should be all over Boone. 

PG-Hunter (3rd year player)

SG-Abmas (5th year player)

Wing-Cunningham (5th year player)

PF-Boone (5th year player)

C-Disu (5th year player)

Bench-

Shedrick (4th year player)

Dixon-Waters (3rd year player)

These are the type rosters you win with sprinkled in with a couple underclassmen that can contribute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Last year, we were getting pretty much whoever Beard wanted. This year will be a different story and people will try to rationalize. Morris was the #1 PG last year who got valuable experience in the Big 12. If he was unhappy with his playing time, he didn't show it on the court, and not sure why that would matter this year. Surely his beloved HC can explain what role he can play with the team this year. He would have been one of the key returners getting big minutes.  I am bracing for winter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Last year, we were getting pretty much whoever Beard wanted.

We took 2 transfers last year. And people spent an entire summer bemoaning the fact we didn't add any size.

If he was unhappy with his playing time, he didn't show it on the court

There was a poster on this board in February who said Morris was already looking towards the portal and floating his name out there in AAU circles.

I am bracing for winter.

We get it, you aren't a fan a Terry. It was obvious from the moment you started saying stuff months ago like that he talked funny and questioned if players could understand what he was saying.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We took 2 transfers last year. And people spent an entire summer bemoaning the fact we didn't add any size.

There was a poster on this board in February who said Morris was already looking towards the portal and floating his name out there in AAU circles.

We get you aren't a fan a Terry. It was obvious from the moment you started saying stuff like that he talked funny and questioned if players could understand what he was saying.

I am not a fan of career .500 coaches in general. Nothing personal. I wonder what your stance will be a year from now when this program might be heading downward. If I am wrong, I will do my walk of shame. 

Edit: I wasn't a fan before and became less of a fan when he started pounding his chest about how he was responsible for recruiting our key players. Everyone recruits well when you have a Saban type headcoach. Do it on your own and then brag.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I am not a fan of career .500 coaches in general. Nothing personal. I wonder what your stance will be a year from now when this program might be heading downward. If I am wrong, I will do my walk of shame. 

The program might be headed downward, the program might be headed upward, the program might stay about the same, the sun might rise tomorrow.

We will see. Either way the Surly mob on all sides will be ready to say 'I told you so'.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

morris and johnson are not a wash. johnson has spent the last year playing kiddie hoops and aau ball against outmatched opponents with carte blanche to do whatever he wants. morris has spent the last year training with and playing against grown men, defending big xii guards, and training in a high D-1 s&c program, all at UT and under rodney terry. as of right now Morris is by far the more game ready player.

also, this seems to come up every offseason, for everyone out there who's all excited about our incoming freshmen, do me a favor and name every true impact freshman of the last 25 years. it's a very short list. now i will say that ron holland absolutely has the potential to become the next name on that list, but 4/5 of not 9/10 i'll take a second year stud guard who had a quiet year like morris over a highly rated freshman, especially at the guard spots.

Yeah- I saw real star potential in Morris and think that's going to be potentially a big loss. Plus plus athleticism, the ability to get his own shot at will and just a general motherfucker on defense.  Under the right developmental timeline and with the right attitude and progression he could play 3 years in college, win the Wooden, be the best player on a title team and go in the lottery in the NBA.  I feel like there are some dudes at Kansas that followed that kind of path.  That's obviously ceiling and 99th percentile results but feel like the raw talent is there.  No way Johnson and him are a wash.  But, it's likely that all that I laid out doesn't happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4