2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The program might be headed downward, the program might be headed upward, the program might stay about the same, the sun might rise tomorrow.

We will see. Either way the Surly mob on all sides will be ready to say 'I told you so'.

This. 

Personally would rather wait until all of our departures or additions are known before I decide we suck or will make another run. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The program might be headed downward, the program might be headed upward, the program might stay about the same, the sun might rise tomorrow.

We will see. Either way the Surly mob on all sides will be ready to say 'I told you so'.

No need to be the martyr. All we said was that it was a loss and rather than spinning it like Aggy, let's acknowledge it. We will feel happy when we get a reasonable replacement but it hasn't happened yet, so it's ok to feel sad.

Edited by UTEE97

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I saw real star potential in Morris and think that's going to be potentially a big loss. Plus plus athleticism, the ability to get his own shot at will and just a general motherfucker on defense.  Under the right developmental timeline and with the right attitude and progression he could play 3 years in college, win the Wooden, be the best player on a title team and go in the lottery in the NBA.  I feel like there are some dudes at Kansas that followed that kind of path.  That's obviously ceiling and 99th percentile results but feel like the raw talent is there.  No way Johnson and him are a wash.  But, it's likely that all that I laid out doesn't happen. 

the reference to KU is spot on. nobody is better at player development than bill self. it's why he's the best there is. i already mentioned KJ's development, but something that i annually drone on about ad nauseam is his how self always has a jalen wilson, an ochai agbaji, a frank mason, etc. a guy who didn't really even scare you all that much as a freshman or sophomore,  only to watch the guy grow and then as a senior he's the league POY and leading his team to the league title if not the national title. Terio absolutely could be one of those guys. like you said, we're talking ceiling and 99th percentile results, but the kid absolutely has that potential in him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UTEE97 said:

No need to be the martyr. All we said was that it was a loss and rather than rationalizing it like Aggy, let's acknowledge it. We will feel happy when we get a reasonable replacement but it hasn't happened yet, so it's ok to feel sad.

Maybe it just doesn't bother me as much because this seemed like a real possibility for several months now.

You are right, we will see if there is a reasonable replacement brought in.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

i find that the people who are least often correct are the first ones to say "i told you so". if i posted my list of the 15 best college hoops posters here you'd be hard pressed to find very many "i told you so" posts from them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Last year, we were getting pretty much whoever Beard wanted. This year will be a different story and people will try to rationalize. Morris was the #1 PG last year who got valuable experience in the Big 12. If he was unhappy with his playing time, he didn't show it on the court, and not sure why that would matter this year. Surely his beloved HC can explain what role he can play with the team this year. He would have been one of the key returners getting big minutes.  I am bracing for winter.

If Texas lands 3 out of Abmas, Shedrick, Dixon-Waters, and Boone they will have done better in the portal than they did last year. 

Rice ended up being a quality addition but he was not considered a top 25 transfer by most publications. Abmas is a top 10 transfer, Shedrick is a top 15 transfer, and Boone will be in the top 25. 

Texas landed 1 elite transfer last year (Hunter) and 1 great evaluation (Rice). 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i find that the people who are least often correct are the first ones to say "i told you so". if i posted my list of the 15 best college hoops posters here you'd be hard pressed to find very many "i told you so" posts from them. 

It's too bad I don't make your list b/c I'm always ready to drop an I told you so.  Especialy on Shaka. 

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas lands 3 out of Abmas, Shedrick, Dixon-Waters, and Boone they will have done better in the portal than they did last year. 

Rice ended up being a quality addition but he was not considered a top 25 transfer by most publications. Abmas is a top 10 transfer, Shedrick is a top 15 transfer, and Boone will be in the top 25. 

Texas landed 1 elite transfer last year (Hunter) and 1 great evaluation (Rice). 

Perhaps I should have said the last two years instead of just last year. Beard was in complete rebuilding mode in the first year and did very well getting most of the pieces. The next year he just plugged the holes. This year, we are after a few good ones but I don't know if we are leading. Like I said in my previous posts, it will all be good if we can address our needs with top players and evals from the portal. I was pointing more so towards the attitude that losing Morris wasn't a big deal. Bird in hand and what not.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Perhaps I should have said the last two years instead of jist last year. Beard was in complete rebuilding mode in the first year and did very well getting most of the pieces. The next year he just plugged the holes. This year, we are after a few good ones but I don't know if we are leading. Like I said in my previous posts, it will all be good if we can address our needs with top players and evals from the portal. I was pointing more so towards the attitude that losing Morris wasn't a big deal. Bird in hand and what not.

I think Morris is going to be a very good player but if we land Abmas I won't shed 1 tear. 

Abmas is a much better player. There's no chance Morris was going to be willing to be the 3 guard behind Hunter and Abmas so if it comes to that then so be it. Now if Texas whiffs on Abmas you might have an argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There appears to be 2-3 guys we are all-in on right now. Unless those guys start making decisions for schools that aren't Texas, it's hard to me to panic, especially when we still have another month of the portal being open.

There is a big difference between having a conversation or two with a player and his circle, and actually going to visit a guy and trying to get him on campus for an OV. We have probably made contact with 20+ players so far, but a lot of those conversations don't lead to anything for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

There appears to be 2-3 guys we are all-in on right now. 

They need to give Abmas the same NIL deal they did to entice Hunter last year. 

Abmas might be the best pick and roll scorer in college basketball. Like I said above, I don't think people know how good he is. Abmas and Disu pick and rolls will absolutely terrorize teams. If people thought Carr was good in pick and rolls with Disu they haven't seen anything yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Morris is going to be a very good player but if we land Abmas I won't shed 1 tear. 

Abmas is a much better player. There's no chance Morris was going to be willing to be the 3 guard behind Hunter and Abmas so if it comes to that then so be it. Now if Texas whiffs on Abmas you might have an argument. 

I know nothing about Abmas in a first hand watching sense. All I know is that if he's better than what I think Morris is going to be next year if he has his head on straight then we are going to be really fucking good (provided Disu and Hunter come back).  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know nothing about Abmas in a first hand watching sense. All I know is that if he's better than what I think Morris is going to be next year if he has his head on straight then we are going to be really fucking good (provided Disu and Hunter come back).  

Morris has a ton of potential but he’s also still a project. Abmas has been one of the best scoring guards for the last 3 seasons in college basketball. 

He’s unreal as a scorer. No offense to Morris but he’s not in the same league as Abmas currently. 

I know Abmas is good but he wasn't playing the same level of competition as Morris and then he had these kinds of games against not so great competition. Let's not crown him our savior yet. Averages don't always tell the whole story.

Screenshot_20230411_152435_ESPN.thumb.jpg.ee0fd4b9ba98dbe715c6e63013fb639a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Morris has a ton of potential but he’s also still a project. Abmas has been one of the best scoring guards for the last 3 seasons in college basketball. 

He’s unreal as a scorer. No offense to Morris but he’s not in the same league as Abmas currently. 

I get that. But isn't he short, not particularly athletic and not great on D? Or did I make that all up in my head?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Abmas is the biggest key to next season being a success. He's probably the 2nd best player in the portal behind Dickinson. 

A lot of people don't seem to know how good he is on this board. He's a better version of Carr. 

oh man, he's my dream. i was ecstatic when we got Carr. getting Abmas would be on a whole nother level. i'm just keeping the faith in kenton paulino to steer the young man in the right direction!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I know Abmas is good but he wasn't playing the same level of competition as Morris and then he had these kinds of games against not so great competition. Let's not crown him our savior yet. Averages don't always tell the whole story.

Screenshot_20230411_152435_ESPN.thumb.jpg.ee0fd4b9ba98dbe715c6e63013fb639a.jpg

You might want to go watch the 2021 NCAA tournament where Abmas dropped 25 points against Arkansas, 26 points against Florida, and 29 points against Ohio State. 

I see you have no clue how good Abmas is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You might want to go watch the 2021 NCAA tournament where Abmas dropped 25 points against Arkansas, 26 points against Florida, and 29 points against Ohio State. 

I see you have no clue how good Abmas is. 

You might want to go see Worthy's highlights from 2021. You can only imagine what kid of a year he had in 2022. I kid, I kid.

Just now, UTEE97 said:

You might want to go see Worthy's highlights from 2021. You can only imagine what kid of a year he had in 2022. I kid, I kid.

Abmas has been just as good a scorer the last 2 seasons. All I've learned from this conversation is you've never watched Abmas. 

He's arguably the top scoring guard in college basketball. That's not even hyperbole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Interesting. Gerry didn’t seem to think they were much of a threat compared to UCLA. Would’ve been a nice addition. In Abmas we trust, but probably need a bigger guard for depth still.

Dude must love the weather and nice beaches. Doesn't hurt that the school that you are going to also is good at basketball. 

Abmas is a volume shooter. My dad played at oru in the 70’s so I’ve seen him play live and in person. He hasn’t had as great of a season people thought coming off the sweet 16 run that’s a fact. Duke took him out of his rhythm by bull rushing the pick and roll he ran with the 7’3 kid they had. He takes a ton of long quick crazy shots and when he’s on he’s hard to stop but he’s also very inconsistent. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a take all day though. Go look at his box scores again Houston and Duke when they played real teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Abmas is a volume shooter. My dad played at oru in the 70’s so I’ve seen him play live and in person. He hasn’t had as great of a season people thought coming off the sweet 16 run that’s a fact. Duke took him out of his rhythm by bull rushing the pick and roll he ran with the 7’3 kid they had. He takes a ton of long quick crazy shots and when he’s on he’s hard to stop but he’s also very inconsistent. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a take all day though. Go look at his box scores again Houston and Duke when they played real teams. 

Duke hedged 2 or 3 players at Abmas the entire game. Their entire strategy was to make anybody beat them other than Abmas. It was almost comical how Duke defended Oral Roberts which is all you need to know about how good Abmas is. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Duke hedged 2 or 3 players at Abmas the entire game. Their entire strategy was to make anybody beat them other than Abmas. It was almost comical how Duke defended Oral Roberts which is all you need to know about how good Abmas is. 

Yea that’s what I said, never said he wasn’t a great player. He had two bad games against real d-1 teams though and his game log is east to track that what I’m saying about him is correct. He’s a high volume shooter, takes long quick release threes, and is inconsistent. 

None of that means he is t a take for Texas and won’t be amazing here. I’m just stating facts of his game. He scored 3 points against Houston and couldn’t do anything and same against Duke. What do you think teams will do to him here if he’s scoring? They’re gonna blitz him every time he calls for a ball screen so he can’t pull up for a three.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What do you think teams will do to him here if he’s scoring? They’re gonna blitz him every time he calls for a ball screen so he can’t pull up for a three.

They won't double or triple team him because Texas has better players than Oral Roberts. You can't leave players open that are capable of beating you. 

Oral Roberts made the Sweet 16 in '21 because they had Obanor to pair with Abmas. When teams tried to double and triple team Abmas.....Obanor killed them in pick and roll. I would love to see teams hedge like Duke did against Oral Roberts. Disu might drop 40 points on them in the mid range. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I saw real star potential in Morris and think that's going to be potentially a big loss. Plus plus athleticism, the ability to get his own shot at will and just a general motherfucker on defense.  Under the right developmental timeline and with the right attitude and progression he could play 3 years in college, win the Wooden, be the best player on a title team and go in the lottery in the NBA.  I feel like there are some dudes at Kansas that followed that kind of path.  That's obviously ceiling and 99th percentile results but feel like the raw talent is there.  No way Johnson and him are a wash.  But, it's likely that all that I laid out doesn't happen. 

Gerry is on record as saying that Johnson is more prepared to contribute right away than Morris was/is. So are you going to rely on Gerry's evaluations or crazy Derka.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry is on record as saying that Johnson is more prepared to contribute right away than Morris was/is. So are you going to rely on Gerry's evaluations or crazy Derka.

You are talking about 2nd year Morris?  I’m not buying. Hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are talking about 2nd year Morris?  I’m not buying. Hope I’m wrong. 

The only things preventing Morris from being really good are the justice system and his handlers.  The guy played high level defense against some good players.  Came in and provided a spark several times during the year.  He also gave up a lot of turnovers and at times played out of control.  To me, he looked worse in some ways because his inexperience at the college level was so obvious when contrasted with most of the guys on our team excepting Mitchell.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Call me crazy, but Im still hoping against hope that we can talk Morris into staying. Morris was my most favorite player in our recruiting class and his signing was a landmark shift in our DFW recruiting woes. I echo what someone above said in regards to Morris looking a lot worse than he was when you contrast his play with the 25 year olds we fielded on our roster this year. And we did a poor job basically employing Morris as a spot up shooter in terms of his development. Plus, some of the guard transfer prospects that we're looking at outside of Abmas are less than exciting and we're definitely going miss the defensive stalwart that Morris had the potential to develop into. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

dude shut the fuck up with all of the retarded ass barbs aimed my way. you know nothing and you contribute nothing. you tacitly admit that you know fuck all about college hoops, texas hoops, and texas basketball players, yet you still show up here every day to talk shit and add nothing. either contribute literally anything substantive or shut the fuck up. i'd rather watch brian windhorst go down on rebecca lobo than read another one of your whiny, inane fucking posts. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

dude shut the fuck up with all of the retarded ass barbs aimed my way. you know nothing and you contribute nothing. you tacitly admit that you know fuck all about college hoops, texas hoops, and texas basketball players, yet you still show up here every day to talk shit and add nothing. either contribute literally anything substantive or shut the fuck up. i'd rather watch brian windhorst go down on rebecca lobo than read another one of your whiny, inane fucking posts. 

If you argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and beat you in their own game. That's why I avoid morons in real life and put them on ignore on surly but alas they still won't leave you alone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I am not a fan of career .500 coaches in general. Nothing personal. I wonder what your stance will be a year from now when this program might be heading downward. If I am wrong, I will do my walk of shame. 

Edit: I wasn't a fan before and became less of a fan when he started pounding his chest about how he was responsible for recruiting our key players. Everyone recruits well when you have a Saban type headcoach. Do it on your own and then brag.

Are you saying Beard was a "Saban like" coach ?

That is absurd.

23 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Are you saying Beard was a "Saban like" coach ?

That is absurd.

Beard was one of the best in the business and was a closer. For example, I have salespeople who bring leads and keep them warm until I close them. These salespeople wouldn't be nearly as successful if I didn't have something great to offer and wasn't closing the deals in the end. Similarly, in college  athletics, assistants can recruit as well as their program and the head coach running it. Not saying there aren't star assistant coaches who can recruit well, but you don't really know how good they are until they are running their own shop.

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

recruiting wise he signed damn near every player he really wanted, both from the portal and from HS. he's a top 5 coach and an otherworldly salesman. RT is neither of those things. 

He is also not a "Saban like" coach.

How many championships has he won? He didn't even win the Big XII last year.

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

He is also not a "Saban like" coach.

How many championships has he won? He didn't even win the Big XII last year.

i took "saban like coach" to be in reference to his recruiting prowess, not his trophy case. like i said, beard was landing almost every major target he went after. i know we lost out on cason wallace to UK but i can't remember if wallace was ever really considering Texas. other than that he's landed (and then retained) pretty much every big name that he's gone after, as far as i'm aware.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i took "saban like coach" to be in reference to his recruiting prowess, not his trophy case. like i said, beard was landing almost every major target he went after. i know we lost out on cason wallace to UK but i can't remember if wallace was ever really considering Texas. other than that he's landed (and then retained) pretty much every big name that he's gone after, as far as i'm aware.

You've referenced him as a Saban like coach multiple times in multiple ways. Just shut the fuck in comparing him to a Saban.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:22 AM, UTEE97 said:

I see the backtracking has already started. Keeping the recruits is not continuity because they were never a part of the team. People were saying we would keep the team together because players loved Terry. Perhaps we could get Mitchell to come back. Nobody was saying Morris would leave. Wishing that the incoming players are better than the ones we are losing is an Aggy thing to do. You don't know if AJ would have more impact as a freshman than a sophomore morris. He wouldn't be a big loss if we didn't lose all the upperclassmen. 

Like I said, it's a loss until we have a legit replacement and hope we don't lose other key returning players.

there is absolutely no reason to hire a head coach, under the current rules and circumstances, because of current recruits or current players.  you should hire the coach based on a long term vision and his/her resume.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You've referenced him as a Saban like coach multiple times in multiple ways. Just shut the fuck in comparing him to a Saban.

yeah well listening to a large cadre of our fans insisting that beard isn't anything special and that RT will be just as good as him may have led to some hyperbole, but the fact is that chris beard is a top 5 national coach and recruiter who is eons ahead of RT as a coach, something that a lot of our fans are having a tough time coming to grips with. i stand by my statement that beard at UT was essentially urban meyer when he got to florida.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah well listening to a large cadre of our fans insisting that beard isn't anything special and that RT will be just as good as him may have led to some hyperbole, but the fact is that chris beard is a top 5 national coach and recruiter who is eons ahead of RT as a coach, something that a lot of our fans are having a tough time coming to grips with. i stand by my statement that beard at UT was essentially urban meyer when he got to florida.

Well, shit.  We should have hired him to coach football. 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

I hadn’t realized Kalib Boone entered the portal. I would really like that move. 

He’s tough and versatile from a position perspective. You can play him at the 4 or 5. He’s one of the most underrated players in the portal. 

I'm pretty sure you guys don't want Boone. Each of the last three seasons he's had a stretch where he looks dominant and that he's turned a corner, then literally disappears. This year he had a stretch averaging 20+, and a week later he's coming off the bench and had a game where he didn't record a single point, not sure he even got a rebound. Message board fodder is that he is a bit of a headcase, at some point his effort just disappears. Mid-February this year I seriously thought we were going to make a run, then all of a sudden I didn't see him out there and a week later the zero point game. Any coach at a major program with limited spots will probably do that research and move on to other players. My guess is that he'll find a spot at a lateral type program or possibly even a mid-major. 

To me, losing Cisse is absolutely devastating. Saw a rumor that he might get a big NIL deal at St. Johns. I'm just resigned at this point that any player we get who succeeds has a higher than 50% chance of moving on for NIL or to a blueblood. I truly hope that this NIL and portal stuff settles down eventually with players finding that the grass isn't always greener, and hopefully seeing the benefit of spending a whole career at one school and becoming a lifetime favorite of the alumni/fan base. A place like OKST likely won't have many of them in the near future.

Dudes, when I (and perhaps Derka as well) brought the Saban comparison, it was to give an example of why assistants have success recruiting when they have an elite and charismatic HC. Bama continues to recruit well no matter who the assistants are because they have one constant - Saban. Some of these assistants get exposed when they go elsewhere or be the head man themselves. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Dudes, when I (and perhaps Derka as well) brought the Saban comparison, it was to give an example of why assistants have success recruiting when they have an elite and charismatic HC. Bama continues to recruit well no matter who the assistants are because they have one constant - Saban. Some of these assistants get exposed when they go elsewhere or be the head man themselves. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

spacer.png

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1