2023 Transfer Portal

PittsburghTiger

yeah well listening to a large cadre of our fans insisting that beard isn't anything special and that RT will be just as good as him

Chris Beard was on the verge of turning Texas into a monster. Anyone who thinks RT will be as successful as Beard COULD have been are not worth debating.  Beard definitely has the higher ceiling, which approaches dynasty level.

That said, one is here and the other isn't, because Beard despite all of his salesmanship and coaching prowess... is a moeran.

Let's also all remember that Beard was 65-38 in his last 4 seasons (63.1%). Granted, it looked like he had it going in 22/23, but there are no guarantees.

And yes, Terry has a career 0.530 record, but that includes two major rebuilds at historically bad teams.  His last 3 years at Fresno he was 66-34 (66.0%).  He won't be a 0.500 coach at Texas. I would bet my retirement on it.

• Hook 'Em 3

yeah well listening to a large cadre of our fans insisting that beard isn't anything special and that RT will be just as good as him
Chris Beard was on the verge of turning Texas into a monster. Anyone who thinks RT will be as successful as Beard COULD have been are not worth debating.  Beard definitely has the higher ceiling, which approaches dynasty level.
That said, one is here and the other isn't, because Beard despite all of his salesmanship and coaching prowess... is a moeran.
Let's also all remember that Beard was 65-38 in his last 4 seasons (63.1%). Granted, it looked like he had it going in 22/23, but there are no guarantees.
And yes, Terry has a career 0.530 record, but that includes two major rebuilds at historically bad teams.  His last 3 years at Fresno he was 66-34 (66.0%).  He won't be a 0.500 coach at Texas. I would bet my retirement on it.

Next year will be much rougher than this year due to all the roster turnover… regardless of who was the coach… if Terry can get some good portal value and put a competitive, hard nose team on the floor next year, he could well have a good run at Texas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Former Syracuse center Jesse Edwards, ESPN's No. 3 player in the NCAA transfer portal, gonna play for WVU.

Edwards said that the NIL factor at West Virginia was "a bonus," but not the primary factor in his decision-making process.

"I mostly wanted to have a fresh start and a new challenge," Edwards said. "NIL isn't what I'm playing for. I didn't really want to get into this, but it doesn't seem that Syracuse as an organization is that into that. I'm not really sure what their plan is or what the school's idea is behind it. For me it was something that they couldn't offer in that way."

Yea Jesse, it sounds like NIL was barely a concern for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

One of the Tech mods said to watch out for Cal. No idea why but that's what he said.

The big Egyptian from tech ended up there. Cal made a great hire in Madsen. He’s cleaning up in the portal 

8 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Shedrick in town today.  Getting the Virginia big man and Abmas is the kind of portal momentum Terry needs

Has Abmas setup a visit here yet?

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

KSU wasn't in his Top 8. Hmm, I wonder what changed.

I think they essentially replaced Arkansas. Some Arkansas people in my server said that Muss pushed for him to commit during the visit but he didn't so they took the guy who ended up committing. 

Kalib Boone to UNLV where he'll join back up with his brother Keylan. No real surprise he didn't get a better offer, as I described above.

Tyreek Smith also in the portal. I seriously don't get these guys. I get that there are legitimate reasons to transfer but he blew up at the end of the year and would have started every game and been a big part of our team. My guess is he's either chasing NIL or is another fickle kid who flees at the first sign of adversity.

We have a top 10 recruiting class coming in and still working the portal, but I think we're down to at most four returning players. Two have announced they're returning (John Michael Wright and Qion Williams). Two have not said anything (Bryce Thompson and Chris Harris). Harris has blown both of his knees out and injured it again at the end of the season, so even if he returns, he'll be a role player again at best. Decent defender but can't score for shit. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if Thompson is in the portal soon too. There really is no reason to become fans of any particular player anymore. I really hope this stuff settles the fuck down eventually, not just for my program, but across the board.

Edited by 'stache

On 4/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

Who said this? Literally no one, right? I'm on this board almost as much as you are and I don't recall one person saying such a thing. You're using a strawman argument

What I saw RT fans saying was that Beard was great, but he fucked up and is gone so it's time to move on. And RT did a great job replacing him and deserved a shot as the head coach. I don't recall one person claiming that RT > Beard.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Who said this? Literally no one, right? I'm on this board almost as much as you are and I don't recall one person saying such a thing. You're using a strawman argument

What I saw RT fans saying was that Beard was great, but he fucked up and is gone so it's time to move on. And RT did a great job replacing him and deserved a shot as the head coach. I don't recall one person claiming that RT > Beard.

I haven't seen it but I think I would've called it out.  Rodney doesn't have the resume that Chris does, no doubt about it.  But, we have to draw the line somewhere. No wife beating.

Best synopsis for RT, imo.  You did enough to win the job.  Welcome to the big boy table.  You fuck this up, see ya later.  I don't root against Chris necessarily, but he ain't our guy anymore so I could give a shit about him.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

again, i was told here that we are about to sign unlimited top 5 classes from here until infinity under RT, and that we are on the verge of a run of national dominance. that's something specific that was said here, and i doubt that i'm somehow the only person who witnessed that conversation. 

and again, you have to have been living under a rock to not have seen all of the, "what has beard ever done anyway?", and "beard wouldn't have done any better with this team" comments, not to mention closetohumping's incessant shit talking towards anyone who questioned if RT was the man for the job. the pro-RT crowd absolutely was running on emotions during the tourney, and again, im not going to go back through thousands of posts to find you examples that you should already be familiar with.

finally, you guys keep saying, "no one here has said that RT > Beard", which is funny, because it's true. nobody, including me, has ever said that anyone here has said that RT was better than beard, yet y'all keep quoting me and incredulously responding to me as if i did. i say "RT and Beard are not in the same league as coaches" and @HookEm quotes that exact post and goes apoplectic about how i've apparently said that RT is equal to/better than Beard. now you quote me saying, "people here are saying that RT will do just as well here as Beard did", and again, YOU, not me, turn that into "literally no one has said that RT is better than Beard, why are you saying tbat?!?!?". i'm not. you are. 

and uh, thanks for quoting a week-old post just to disingenuously re-start an argument that had already been put to bed. great stuff. 👌🏼 

in summation:

me: Beard and RT aren't in the same class as coaches and people are acting like they are 

hookem: spazzes the fuck out about how i'm claiming that people here are saying that RT > Beard

8 days later, after the fighting over made-up shit that i've never actually said has died down, motown quotes me saying that there are people here who think ghat RT can do just as well at Texas as Beard ever did.

motown: Derka literally nobody has said that RT >>>> Beard, why are you saying that?

me:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7e00aomb8c6qk5bydul

maybe go back re-read the very posts you're quoting 10-15x before completely making up arguments just so you can start indignant e-fights.

Edited by shadow_operative

honestly, who wakes up one day and says, "you know what i think i'll do? i think i'll re-start a fight with derka from 8 days ago, one which already took over this forum for several days, and one which isn't based on good faith to begin with"? who does that? the strange-but-true answer: the people who complain about me the most. ain't that about a bitch. you whine about the bear mauling people's faces off just to turn around and fuck with him again when you're bored.

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

honestly, who wakes up one day and says, "you know what i think i'll do? i think i'll re-start a fight with derka

Aren't you doing exactly this with me?  Even linked my handle so it would show up and alert me.  SMFH.  

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Aren't you doing exactly this with me?  Even linked my handle so it would show up and alert me.  SMFH.  

unless i missed you and i having some sort of freaky friday event where you have become me and i've become you, then i would have to go with a resounding NO. and unless i was the one who started this argument in bad faith (again that was you), then i'm gonna go with, "how bout NO, you crazy dutch bastard."

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I said on the recruiting board that I was underwhelmed by Beard and got quite a few downvotes. I'll stand by that - we looked like the same grind-it-out mudball team that was mentally weak in 2021-2022 as we did with Shaka or late-period Barnes, we just had a few wins over borderline division II teams to pad the win stats and didn't vomit all over ourselves in the first round for the first time in a decade, so that was something Beard gets credit for I guess. This year? Excellent, no complaints, if Beard had done that, I'd not be underwhelmed, and he gets credit for putting the roster together, but also should not get hardly any credit for what the team actually did after he was gone considering the reason he was gone. RT did a great job this year. Maybe he's not the guy long term, but Beard's one year was not enough for me to think that the good two years at Tech were not outliers compared to the other ones. It also seems rather ridiculous for everyone to be freaking out that we haven't landed anyone yet and using that as a judge on RT long term. 

Kansas really wants to take Terio with his trial looming? Surprising to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

in summation:

me: Beard and RT aren't in the same class as coaches and people are acting like they are 

hookem: spazzes the fuck out about how i'm claiming that people here are saying that RT > Beard

8 days later, after the fighting over made-up shit that i've never actually said has died down, motown quotes me saying that there are people here who think ghat RT can do just as well at Texas as Beard ever did.

motown: Derka literally nobody has said that RT >>>> Beard, why are you saying that?

me:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7e00aomb8c6qk5bydul

maybe go back re-read the very posts you're quoting 10-15x before completely making up arguments just so you can start indignant e-fights.

Sorry man I don’t live on this board

and honestly I’m not gonna read the paragraphs upon paragraphs you posted over multiple posts. I don’t have time for that and nothing I could possibly say will satisfy you. You’ll just bicker over any response I make

I did directly quote you and respond to what you said though. So don’t act like I’m putting words in your mouth 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

honestly, who wakes up one day and says, "you know what i think i'll do? i think i'll re-start a fight with derka from 8 days ago, one which already took over this forum for several days, and one which isn't based on good faith to begin with"? who does that? the strange-but-true answer: the people who complain about me the most. ain't that about a bitch. you whine about the bear mauling people's faces off just to turn around and fuck with him again when you're bored.

Man you have severe mental issues if you think I give a flying fuck. I didn’t wake up today and think anything 

i happened to see a post at the top of the last page of this thread and I responded to it. Get over yourself. I’ve bent over backwards to be nice to you despite your constant attempts To make me yet another one of your imaginary enemies you MUST defeat on the internets 

I don’t complain about you in any way FTR. Saying you should go outside and take a walk isn’t complaining about you. It’s advice from a sane person to an insane person. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I said on the recruiting board that I was underwhelmed by Beard and got quite a few downvotes. I'll stand by that - we looked like the same grind-it-out mudball team that was mentally weak in 2021-2022 as we did with Shaka or late-period Barnes, we just had a few wins over borderline division II teams to pad the win stats and didn't vomit all over ourselves in the first round for the first time in a decade, so that was something Beard gets credit for I guess. This year? Excellent, no complaints, if Beard had done that, I'd not be underwhelmed, and he gets credit for putting the roster together, but also should not get hardly any credit for what the team actually did after he was gone considering the reason he was gone. RT did a great job this year. Maybe he's not the guy long term, but Beard's one year was not enough for me to think that the good two years at Tech were not outliers compared to the other ones. It also seems rather ridiculous for everyone to be freaking out that we haven't landed anyone yet and using that as a judge on RT long term. 

I think that the facts in that case make it pretty much a non-factor.  That is not a felony charge, and I don't think the woman who was cut by the bra is intent on doing him damage.  JMO.

Edited by cochamps

8 hours ago, cochamps said:

I think that the facts in that case make it pretty much a non-factor.  That is not a felony charge, and I don't think the woman who was cut by the bra is intent on doing him damage.  JMO.

When I was interning with the Arlington PD's office, we defended a guy accused of DV for shoving a peanut butter sandwich in his wife's face (not guilty). I'd like to say that the prosecutors bringing this case to trial means they think they have a strong case, but that experience gives me pause.

15 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Beards last three full seasons he won 18,18 and 22.  Solid but not prodigy 

Edited by closetohumping

2 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

When I was interning with the Arlington PD's office, we defended a guy accused of DV for shoving a peanut butter sandwich in his wife's face (not guilty). I'd like to say that the prosecutors bringing this case to trial means they think they have a strong case, but that experience gives me pause.

Just going off published reports, but it sounded like a fairly minor infraction.  Of course, its not yet resolved, so... we'll see.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Beards last three full seasons he won 18,18 and 22.  Solid but not prodigy 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He's Nick Saban!

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Irving Meyers!!!!

Y’all just love poking the bear, lol.

There is a very real possibility that OKST returns only two players, only one of whom regularly started. I fully expect Bryce Thompson to enter the portal any day now, because why the fuck not. It’s pure insanity.

Edited by 'stache