Asteroid City--Wes Anderson director, release June 16 & June 23rd

Mrs Whiggins

Did not see a thread for this summer movie, so thought I'd put it out there. Our family enjoy his movies quite a bit. I haven't heard anything beyond a rumored appeal, but I saw that the initial rating was 'R' and that Anderson was to appeal that designation. (brief nudity or some such was the mention).

This is the first of two upcoming Anderson movies. The second, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, has no official release date as of yet but is supposed to also debut this year.

Asteroid City has a very large ensemble cast and many of the usual talented stars that feature in Anderson directed films. It is another film that is rumored to be a Cannes selection. (I mentioned that Killers of the Flower Moon is under consideration in that thread).

I have no trailer at this time and there have only been one or two movie stills, but I listed the cast below. The info about the plot is scarce and consists of:

The itinerary of a Junior Stargazer convention is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.

The movie is apparently set circa 1950s and is a romance.

Cast:

Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody, Tom Hanks, Margot Robbie, Rupert Friend, Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Bryan Cranston[, Hope Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jeffrey Wright, Liev Schreiber, Tony Revolori, Matt Dillon, Sophia Lillis, Steve Park, Maya Hawke, Fisher Stevens, Jake Ryan, Ethan Josh Lee, Edward Norton, Steve Carell, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Grace Edwards, Aristou Meehan, Rita Wilson, and Jarvis Cocker.

Here's Maya Hawke on set.

Asteroid City (2022)

Can't wait!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, huge said:

Pretty good cast

No Bill Murray, because Covid.  Steve Carrell was the replacement:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bill-murray-dropped-out-wes-anderson-asteroid-city-covid-1235184889/

Bill Murray had to drop out of Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City just before its shoot in Spain got underway due to COVID-19, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Murray, among Wes Anderson’s longtime collaborators, was attached early to the film now in postproduction. But Murray being absent from Focus Features’ star-studded cast list for Asteroid City announced this week left the mystery of his absence in the air.

Now it’s been confirmed that Murray had to step away from the Asteroid City shoot and his character was recast after he came down with COVID-19.

https://movieweb.com/bill-murray-replaced-by-steve-carell-wes-anderson-asteroid-city-due-covid-diagnosis/

Despite being originally announced as one of the cast members of Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City, long-standing Anderson collaborator Bill Murray was strangely absent from the list of stars on board the movie earlier this week. According to a report by The Hollywood Reporter, the reason for Murray’s absence is down to the actor contracting Covid-19 days before shooting on the movie began last September, leading to Steve Carell taking his place in the film.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 6:03 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

No Bill Murray, because Covid. 

Murray was present early on, but (as the article mentioned), they had to shoot with Carrell. 

(CSB: The triplet girls are family friends of ours... Dad used to be a direct report of mine in LA, and he and mom were on our softball team. Six time league champs!) 

10 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Murray was present early on, but (as the article mentioned), they had to shoot with Carrell. 

(CSB: The triplet girls are family friends of ours... Dad used to be a direct report of mine in LA, and he and mom were on our softball team. Six time league champs!) 

Or did Murray get replaced after the #mettoo situation on his previous film?

• 1 month later...

Not as good as the French Dispatch. So good-ish, not great. 

Good hang. It’ll age into a 50’’s era comfort movie you play in the background.

ScarJo is coming into her own as a great actress. Schwartzman doesn’t do anything interesting, compelling, or charming as the lead. Baffling decision to keep casting the guy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Username, etc.

“Did you see what he had on?”
“Yeah, it was pretty cool.”

Sorry tangential Bottle Rocket reference in honor of future man.

As for the new one, can’t wait. Initial impressions have been positive. And I liked French Dispatch but admittedly watched it in installments on various train commutes over a couple of weeks and it worked as a “serial” that way.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:00 PM, NWBuck said:

Here's an article on the girls' experience

Meet Wes Anderson’s scene-stealing ‘Asteroid City’ triplets, Ella, Gracie and Willan Faris

I just went to see this movie. I have only seen one of his previous films (The Grand Budapest Hotel) so this one did not really resonate with me. Sometimes that happens, but I did like the cast and the three sisters were pretty cool. Scarlett Johansson was in my 2nd favorite movie so it was nice seeing her in this. I am sure if I read up more on Anderson’s style of movie-making I might better understand this movie. 

18 hours ago, futureman said:

holy shit, man.  go watch rushmore and the royal tenenbaums.

When I have some time to sit down and watch them I’ll do that. I enjoy learning as much as I can about different film styles and how they vary depending upon the director. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by UpperWestside

On 6/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, Royalfan5 said:

Saw it today. Enjoyed it throughly. Favorite bit was probably the road runner.

Pretty much this.

Big WA fan but this one just didn't seem to click with me as much as some of his others.   I need to watch it again as there is always so much going on I tend to miss some of it.  Was this way for me with grand Budapest - I was OK with it on first viewing but now it is one of my favorites.

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Rushmore only came out in ‘98 and the Tenenbaums in ‘01. Don’t rush the man 

I missed a ton of movies during that time. I did not go to the movies very often and I was not big on watching much TV in college. Going regularly to see movies did not really start until maybe 9 years or so ago.

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Someone upthread mentioned R rating for nudity.  So ScarJo? 

um, my friend would like to know this. 

Supposed to be her, but the next bit of dialogue includes a comment about "sometimes they use stunt doubles" for nude scenes... Given WA, I'm guessing that's a tell.