2023 NCAA Tournament - First Round

Pancho

9 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I hate when teams change what they do best to try and run clock. Just play. If you go down, go down swinging. 

1992 5-A High School Basketball Championship game.  My alma mater, Victoria High, had a huge lead on Longview.  Huge.  So what does Coach Smith decide to do?  Decides to milk the extremely long clock playing 4-square (no shot clock then).  I watched as Longview stole pass after pass to whittle away at the lead and eventually take over the game and win it.

If VHS had just kept playing the way they had been, they would have had the title and hoisted the trophy.  But the coach turtled up like Mr. Coach Klein vs. Red Beaulieu.  Ironically, I think a shot clock would have given VHS a state title.

Edited by Uncle Nate

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I hate when teams change what they do best to try and run clock. Just play. If you go down, go down swinging. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I could not agree more.  I mean, there comes a point with maybe a minute or two left where it can make sense, but these wholesale shifts with 10+ minutes to go almost never work out for the less talented team.  Just play your game.

Yup.

Our basketball coach the year we went to the State Title game in high school was on Alford’s staff at Soufwest Missour State the year they went to the S16. He told us “we run our plays and our way until they stop us.” We were beating teams by 45-50 points and didn’t change a damn thing. 

I get it—they are trying to shorten the game, but damn, why not keep doing what you’re doing until it gets stopped.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

1992 5-A High School Basketball Championship game.  My alma mater, Victoria High, had a huge lead on Longview.  Huge.  So what does Coach Smith decide to do?  Decides to milk the extremely long clock playing 4-square (no shot clock then).  I watched as Longview stole pass after pass to whittle away at the lead and eventually take over the game and win it.

If VHS had just kept playing the way they had been, they would have had the title and hoisted the trophy.  But the coach turtled up like Mr. Coach Klein vs. Red Beaulieu.

Still no shot clock in TX HS Basketball

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Yup.

Our basketball coach the year we went to the State Title game in high school was on Alford’s staff at Soufwest Missour State the year they went to the S16. He told us “we run our plays and our way until they stop us.” We were beating teams by 45-50 points and didn’t change a damn thing. 

I get it—they are trying to shorten the game, but damn, why not keep doing what you’re doing until it gets stopped.

Hell yes, it’s easier to completely shorten/end the game by blowing the doors off of a team.

Just play your game. Make them stop you, and if they can’t, they lose.

Just now, PittsburghTiger said:

What The Fuck Gene Sterratore? Nothing sticks out?

The guy didn’t maintain control because the Xavier guy hacked his arm. This use of the Rules Expert is fucking stupid.

Good time for a No Call, asshole.

Right he has the ball in his gut, other guy who is BEHIND him reaches around and hacks him.  He hacks him BECAUSE he doesn't have position.  Two guys fighting for a ball my ass.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Right he has the ball in his gut, other guy who is BEHIND him reaches around and hacks him.  He hacks him BECAUSE he doesn't have position.  Two guys fighting for a ball my ass.

it was a foul and a missed call that changed the whole game.  CBB officials suck ass(junior high level BS)

• Pancho unpinned this topic