2023 NCAA Tournament - First Round

Pancho

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Decent source of updated information (Tournament record of all active coaches with at least 10 games coached)

https://www.dbwoerner.com/basketball/coaches/coach123.html

amazing, Rick Barnes is tied with Huggins with the most losses for active coaches.  Barnes has the most games coached and a winning percentage under 50%, unless he goes on a big run this year. 

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol that was 44 years ago grandpa (I was 12)….

yeah, I have no idea why I remember that except that Al McGuire was the commentator and he kept telling the Penn coach to put his star player back in the game in the 2nd half.   The player was in serious foul trouble. 

After a second look at that list of coaching records, it appears to need a bit of updating.  Boeheim is now retired, and that list does not include Barnes' victory yesterday, so for the moment Barnes holds one distinction and about to hold another.  

1. most years coaching in the tourney among active coaches. 

2. Since he is tied, after Tenn. loses tomorrow he will be the leader for most losses in tournament play while maintaining a losing record in tourney play.  

13 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

amazing, Rick Barnes is tied with Huggins with the most losses for active coaches.  Barnes has the most games coached and a winning percentage under 50%, unless he goes on a big run this year. 

For some reason they don't show Tenn's win yesterday which brings Rick's record to an even .500. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this purdue result is totally understandable:

C95AE841-592D-48B7-ABA3-0C4B48FDEA4E.thumb.jpeg.849f95fb10b0d14a19a7be59caf2dfe9.jpeg

plus they went 20-15 and didn't even win their conference tourney. 😂 this would make UMBC > UVA look like a fair matchup. 

Tha fuck?

I watch a fair amount of college basketball. I have a decent grasp on how the field is selected. But I have absolutely no clue how the 298th team in Kenpom makes the tourney without winning their conference OR conference tourney. 

• Pancho unpinned this topic