Half of Surly just became obsolete

Kel Varnsen

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It can code too

But can it attend agile/scrum meetings, create a backlog, integrate data messaging patterns, assess architecture tradeoffs, negotiate vendor contracts, and navigate internal politics?  Let's see it do that, google boy : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Accelerating our demise, one line of code at a time.

1 minute ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

But can it attend agile/scrum meetings, create a backlog, integrate data messaging patterns, assess architecture tradeoffs, negotiate vendor contracts, and navigate internal politics?  Let's see it do that, google boy : )

Robotic Process Automations will address much of that.

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Most of this, yes unfortunately.  I'm in tech too 🥺

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Accelerating our demise, one line of code at a time.

Robotic Process Automations will address much of that.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  RPA/ML/AI are structured and built by low-bid contractors as well.  I see many 500 responses in our future.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Sir, you just besmirched the whole IT consulting industry!

HAHA.  We'll that explains why I'm always broke and the kiddos are doomed to a public school education.  But no worries.  I work for junk silver, silver rounds, and the green American paper.  It's the IT lifestyle.

• Hook 'Em 1

My first thought was omg we're screwed.  My second thought was if 90% of white collar jobs are threatened within 10 years (which seems likely), there will be a political solution.  My third thought was well, we're terrible at political solutions.  So I'm right back at my first thought.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

I've been playing with Chat GPT at work to see how well it writes code.   Holy Fuck it's good.  If it stays free, it's going to kill a huge number of programmer jobs.

I'm 30+ years into my career and do higher level Software Architecture and Rapid Prototyping type stuff.  Often I'd have a one or more young to mid-level programmers that I'd pull in to fill out more code.  For a ton of stuff, I can describe what's needed without using anything  company confidential, so I've been asking Chat GPT to write small blocks of code instead if writing things up and asking a minion. In seconds Chat-GPT gives you want you want.  It's two steps better than StackOverflow.   

If you have a son, daughter, niece, nephew, getting a programmer degree, stress to them they need to lean into this shit and learn to A) ask better questions of AI, and B) get good at integrating the answers into a bigger sections of code.    

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s a tool. It won’t replace lawyers, but lawyers and law firms that use AI will replace the ones that don’t. 

I think the lawyers who devise rules and regulations for the AI industry will own the lawyers and firms that use AI.

45 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If you have a son, daughter, niece, nephew, getting a programmer degree, stress to them they need to lean into this shit and learn to A) ask better questions of AI, and B) get good at integrating the answers into a bigger sections of code.    

Pretty much this.  Design patterns, experience, and wielding your AI sword will future proof any aspiring code ninja.

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I've been playing with Chat GPT at work to see how well it writes code.   Holy Fuck it's good.  If it stays free, it's going to kill a huge number of programmer jobs.

I'm 30+ years into my career and do higher level Software Architecture and Rapid Prototyping type stuff.  Often I'd have a one or more young to mid-level programmers that I'd pull in to fill out more code.  For a ton of stuff, I can describe what's needed without using anything  company confidential, so I've been asking Chat GPT to write small blocks of code instead if writing things up and asking a minion. In seconds Chat-GPT gives you want you want.  It's two steps better than StackOverflow.   

Like with a lot of things, it can do a really good job. It can also do a really good job of making it look like its done a good job, when in reality it doesn't work (although, arguably, the same is true for anything from stack exchange). So, definitely check that code before you implement it. And us lawyers definitely need to check those arguments and citations before relying on them. But overall, I agree. It does a really good job of giving you a starting out point or helping provide a general framework to work from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Can AI bring a briefcase monkey to court?  No?  ADVANTAGE: REAL HUMAN LAWYERS.

You laugh now Brisket, but when the AI plaintiff attorneys learn how to sync with the self-driving cars, the number of car accidents are going WAY up - and human plaintiff lawyers will not get that work. 

The ripple effect will take down bars, upscale steak places and strip clubs.  

Divorce lawyers will still do OK when the third wives bail on the now-poors. 

A.I. is regarded. It can't figure out a basic question we all know the answer to.

What would have happened if Colt McCoy was never injured in the 2009 NCAA Championship game?

It's impossible to know for certain how the game would have played out if Colt McCoy had not been injured early in the first quarter of the 2009 NCAA Football Championship. However, it's fair to say that McCoy's absence had a significant impact on the game.

McCoy was one of the top quarterbacks in college football that season, having thrown for over 3,500 yards and 27 touchdowns while leading Texas to an undefeated record. Without him, Texas was forced to rely on backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert, who had attempted just 26 passes all season prior to the championship game.

With McCoy at the helm, Texas likely would have had a much more potent offense and may have been able to keep up with Alabama's scoring. Additionally, McCoy's experience and leadership could have helped Texas avoid some of the mistakes and missed opportunities that plagued them throughout the game.

That being said, Alabama's defense was one of the best in the country that season and may have been able to contain McCoy and the Texas offense even if he had been healthy. Ultimately, we'll never know how the game would have turned out if McCoy had played the entire game, but his injury undoubtedly had a major impact on the outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

First step to recreating New Order sounds is to get a snake farm worth of cables, a brooding artsy English woman, and that machine they zapped Frankenstein with.*

*Yes, the doctor was Frankenstein, but his creation was basically his child, therefore it is Frankenstein too.