Talking Heads- Stop Making Sense 2023

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Hmm. Tough to trap lightning in a bottle twice. I’m not sure I want my fond feelings about the classic to be changed. Some things you just can’t improve on.

It's just a 4k remaster rerelease in theaters and new vinyl with 2 unreleased songs

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/talking-heads-stop-making-sense-returning-theaters-soundtrack-reissue-1234697972/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

If you've ever been like, hey, I should watch Stop Making Sense, IMAX is officially your best bet. That big suit was HUGE.  I also am reminded that, while it can be difficult, the way to enjoy that movie to its fullest is to remember to try to watch people in the band other than David Byrne. Anyway, most definitely worth my $15.  The sound was incredible!

Also, the way they created the lighted effects on What a Day it Was is awesome and something I did not remember. Also, the live version of Life During Wartime (Naive Melody) is one of the prettiest things ever and the superior version of the song.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

$15? I paid 10 to watch it in Imax at the Bullock.

I tipped.

Nah, just kidding.  It's Tyler.  We only got one IMAX, and from the looks of the place, they need that $5 more than I do.  Ghost town on a Friday night.  The newer theaters are doing fine though.  Hopefully, they snag that IMAX setup when that AMC goes under.

On the other hand, it's damned nice to be able to go to a movie and have the place virtually to yourself.  Our group comprised at least 50% of the people in the theater.  There were seven of us.

Not a big Talking Heads town, or so it seems.

Edited by dcbc

Just got back from the show and it really looked great.  The sound was fantastic too.  Chad Jr. gave it the thumbs up, so that's the official seal of approval.

The pacing of the set/movie was great too.  It started off pretty good and just got better.  Well worth checking out if it comes to your town.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:47 PM, Deej said:

It was great. Sat in the middle and the Imax mix was nice. 

I really was struck by the quality of the mix.  I've listened to the DVD and BluRay "Theater" mix for years.  The backup singers on "Heaven" coming in behind the listening position always was really cool and sort of haunting.  The spread of the drums and percussion is great too.  But no guitar ever has cut through a live mix like Byrne's on SMS.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I really was struck by the quality of the mix.  I've listened to the DVD and BluRay "Theater" mix for years.  The backup singers on "Heaven" coming in behind the listening position always was really cool and sort of haunting.  The spread of the drums and percussion is great too.  But no guitar ever has cut through a live mix like Byrne's on SMS.

It's at the South Lamar Alamo now with the Dolby Atmos mix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:04 PM, Mez2 said:

This isn't my favorite song of all time, but it's close.  I love lamp

It's a "live version is better than any other version including the stellar studio version" performance.  Just tremendous.

Edited by dcbc

I stayed up to watch it.  Colbert definitely is a super-fan.  He spent the first several minutes gushing, which was fine.  I found it to be interesting enough, and I'm glad they own the rights to Stop Making Sense again and went to such great efforts to preserve and improve that legacy for the future.

Not getting just one song on the show was a pretty big tease.  At least he asked.  But honestly, and I really don't know, do Tina, Chris, and Jerry still have the chops to pull off one of the better quartet numbers like Found a Job?  I'm pretty sure Byrne could do it.  But he hasn't played with that small of a group live in decades as far as I can tell.  I've seen him three times since 2003, and every show has been world-beating. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd go see them live in a heartbeat (they're a top-5 band for me), and in that scenario, I'm sure they'd have plenty of backup (Adrian Belew, Alex Weir, Steve Scales, Ednah Holt, Lynn Maybry, if we're keeping it traditional, please; otherwise, gather some of the best musicians working/available today and go melt faces).  But for watching them on a screen, we'll always will have Stop Making Sense (RIP Bernie).  I guess we could have gotten a cool version of Psycho Killer or something.  But I'm glad they're being friendly to one another regardless.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I thought they hated Byrne, like at the level of not pissing on him if he was on fire? Doubt they made up and assume they tolerate each other just enough to promote this release. But I think the chances of them ever playing together again is about as high as the Smiths reuniting (RIP Andy). Which sucks for fans.