Penn State (03/18)

Saint Tacky

Flip the script on Pickett. Force him to adjust to our game plan. Close down on their three-point shooters, certainly faster than Aggie did—defense damnit.

Our bigs must hit the offensive boards and do better finishing near the rim.  That's the view from this couch.

The game is on the CBS mothership.

• Hook 'Em 2

They’re probably the 2nd hottest team in the country, behind Duke. They shoot very well and move the ball efficiently. They’re poor at rebounding and get frustrated if they don’t hit early. 

I have to watch too many of their games. They had a bad stretch to start B10 but regrouped and are playing lights out right now. Funk is the real deal.  

Texas will have to play much better offensively than they did against Colgate to move on. Texas’ perimeter D was good, though, so that’s a good sign. That’s critical to beating this team. 

1. The refs- since we are running into one of the hottest teams in the country, we must have an evenly called game.  In addition, I know I am asking a lot, but the refs need to establish some type of consistency and maintain that level of consistency the entire game.  

2. The sloppy ball handling...4 turnovers in a row stuff has to be eliminated.  

3.  Don't fall in love with the 3 ball, keep shooting, rebounding well.  Stay within your self.  

If somehow all three of things actually happens, we win by 7 or more.  We've got this.  I feel cautiously optimistic about at least 2 of these 3. 

Horns need to be more physical, and rebound better than the nittany lions.  Texas also has to get to the foul line more today and limit dumb turnovers. 

Gotta wear out penn state shooters by making them guard and play defense... 

Edit:  Do not run traps by doubling off their 3pt shooters -- aggy gameplan leaving Funk open was ridiculous. 

Edited by LTtxfan

Defend the three / don’t get in a 3 point shoot out / rebound / turnovers - create a few more than their average - give up less than our average / special teams and avoid 3rd and long / don’t bend down to pick up soap / and we’re golden.

Ben Stiller Basketball GIF

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

They were sloppy - way too many turnovers, not great ball movement. Allen seems to muck up flow. 

A few too many turnovers. Outside of that Texas was really good offensively. 53% from the field, 56% from 3, 20 assists on 31 makes, 11 offensive rebounds on just 27 misses.

Allen led the team in assists, btw.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A few too many turnovers. Outside of that Texas was really good offensively. 53% from the field, 56% from 3, 20 assists on 31 makes, 11 offensive rebounds on just 27 misses.

Allen led the team in assists, btw.

It was also only 13 turnovers. Our average is 11.7. It wasn’t *that* egregious, minus Carr’s like 3 or 4 total boneheaded ones in transition. Clean those up and we should look better. Otherwise, like you said, we hit our shots and shared the ball and rebounded well offensively, which is a big weakness for PSU

Edited by Js1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd like to see Bishop start over Mitchell.

I like Bishop off the bench, but yeah Mitchell is a waste out there.  The occasional athletic put back is all he does other than just run around.

I really don't understand why he's even getting minutes, much less starting all season.

I've noticed his minutes declining, but still.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Keep Disu out of foul trouble and tell him to do his little mid-range shot put thing about 20 times. 

Gotta think part of the PSU game plan will be to have Pickett try to go at Disu to see if they can get him early trouble.  Need to be prepared for that.