2023 Masters

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ve been twice. It definitely exceeds expectations. 

Being at the course is just amazing 

the fan experience is just exceptional. Concessions live up to all the hype, and it’s cheap. The gift stands are great. 

the day we went, it was a brutally hot day. As you would expect, even the bathrooms are nice, with attendants. I go to drop a line, and the attendant sees the guy in front me not looking good. He walks over and starts talking to the guy, has him sit down and calls for a medical team. Before I’m done, medical is in there, calling it heat stress. Checking his vitals, asking him who he was with so they can find them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/17/2023 at 5:39 PM, tx 3 putt said:

All past winners should be invited, and liv players that meet current qualifications. But fuck those guys on the LIV tour and double fuck Norman 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/35291797/masters-criteria-allows-liv-golfers-play-2023-tournament

My neighbor pointed out that Monday should be a fun day as we get to see the whole PGA-liv interactions fresh. That's the day of my tickets

99DD6131-D964-4E47-AE20-E78CC1EE3B2D.thumb.jpeg.ac966b56a1ef26a962552db6938d06a9.jpeg

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Probably a stupid question, but do practice rounds have any day of information as to who is playing and when or is it just whenever the players come out and play?

There are signs on the grounds, similar to tee sheets, which are updated when players go out for practice rounds. You can’t find out who is playing or when before getting to the course though.

9 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Probably a stupid question, but do practice rounds have any day of information as to who is playing and when or is it just whenever the players come out and play?

when we went. got there as soon as they opened the gate, but an hour wait to walk on the course. we're waiting by 16 tee and the guards gave us the run down of tee times. we walked over to #3 green / #4 tee, saw phil and tiger. then went up front. 

there boards around the course with the practice groups listed 

My play is to enter through the main gate, go straight to the merch building before the line gets long and then go to the shipping station to mail your loot home so you don’t have to worry about that. Then grab a coffee and a chicken biscuit and sit at the range for a bit. Then head off to the course. 

If you want to get your picture taken at founders circle consider doing that as soon as possible, if not first. Idk what time they open that line but it gets crazy long. We didn’t bother. 

Something else to keep in mind is that some guys will only play 9 holes, some just the front and some just the back, so while the tee time boards are useful, don’t count on them being absolute.

One of my favorite spots to sit is behind the green on 7. I like to start by walking the beginning of the front 9 thru 6, posting up at 16 for a bit and then head over to 7 for a while before deciding how to attack the back 9. There are concessions along 2 and between 3 green and 7 tee.

60368b833953f4f09e50bcc04ead6a10.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

The picture thing runs as quickly as everything else there.  They take it, give you a card and you can dl it later that day.  No idiots fiddling with their phones.

For me the course is the star so I never really worried about who I saw.  I went in, did merch and then walked the entire course 1-18 for a couple of hours.  Take it all in and then pick where you want to end up. If it's a practice day 16 is obviously really fun.  And don't dare leave until they kick your ass out!

In 2019, strong storms were forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday, so the Monday practice round had all of the heavy hitters (if not the entire field) getting a round in. Not that it mattered (I had no choice of what day I got to attend), but the weather can make the players decisions sometimes as to what day/holes they want to practice.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 ways golfers can qualify to play in the Masters

Here is how to qualify for an invitation to the Masters:

• Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
  • US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)
  • The Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)
  • PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after five years)
  • Winners of The Players Championship (Three years)
  • Current Olympic Gold Medalist (One year)
  • Current US Amateur Champion (7-A) (Honorary, non-competing after one year) and the runner-up (7-B) to the current US Amateur Champion
  • Current The Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after one year)
  • Current Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion (One year)
  • Current Latin America Amateur Champion (One year)
  • Current US Mid-Amateur Champion (One year)
  • The first 12 players, including ties, in the previous year’s Masters Tournament
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year’s US Open
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year’s The Open Championship
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year’s PGA Championship
  • Individual winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters
  • Those qualifying for the previous year’s season-ending Tour Championship
  • The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
  • The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

That’s it. Those are the only opportunities available. Which makes sense when you want to call your tournament “The Masters”. Multiple players will qualify in more than one way, but winning a green jacket is the only way to guarantee yourself an invitation back every year for life.

This includes any golfer who defected the Saudi-back LIV Golf was suspended by the PGA Tour.

In 2023, only 89 golfers were invited to play at the Masters with 12 of those earning their way into the field solely because they previously won the tournament. That includes all-time greats like Tiger Woods, Fred Couples, Bubba Watson and Sergio Garcia.

Past champions Trevor Immelman, Nick Faldo, Angel Cabrera and Tom Watson have declined the opportunity to play this year.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/03/19-ways-golfers-qualify-the-masters

54 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Ok so going on Tuesday for the first time ever. Yes it’s crazy to even be saying that. So what do I need to know? Can’t bring my cell phone even on practice rounds? It says disposables or normal cameras are fine on practice rounds. But anyone that’s going or been. Give the surly scoop!

Go straight to merch tent. You can have it all shipped home or they will hold the bags for you til the end of the day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry for being a newbie but best just to not bring your phone at all? (Practice round) camera? Can you do anything disposable wise? Just worried about the click click 

I took my DSLR and big lenses when I went to a practice round back in 2015. Just be smart with the clicks. Any digital camera only should be fine.