2023 Masters

tx 3 putt

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Speith is plenty long.  Just going back 10 years- Scottie- Long, Hideki (average?) DJ- Long, TIger- Long, Reed- Average?, Garcia- long, Willet- no clue- Spieth- long, Watson- long, Scott- long Watson again- long.  I mean that's 7 big hitters and 2 average guys and whatever and whoever the fuck a Danny Willet is.  

Two of them use driver distance as a primary weapon. The rest are creative shot makers with a great short game.

Yes driving it far helps. But this is not a course defined by driving distance. Davis Love III, BK, BDC, Champ, Finau, Woodland, List... There are so many bomb first players that do not do well at Augusta. But a strong short game is a common theme. Hell, even DJ was epic inside 100 and around the green when he won.

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Two of them use driver distance as a primary weapon. The rest are creative shot makers with a great short game.

Yes driving it far helps. But this is not a course defined by driving distance. Davis Love III, BK, BDC, Champ, Finau, Woodland, List... There are so many bomb first players that do not do well at Augusta. But a strong short game is a common theme. Hell, even DJ was epic inside 100 and around the green when he won.

IT also helped that he was playing it as a dart board due to weather conditions.  That should count as like 1/2 a masters win. 

• Like 1

TEE TIMES (all times EDT) FIRST ROUND/THURSDAY

7:40 a.m. -- Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson (Honorary Starters)

8 a.m. -- Mike Weir, Kevin Na

8:12 a.m. -- Vijay Singh, Scott Stallings, Matthew McClean (a)

8:24 a.m. -- Sandy Lyle, Jason Kokrak, Talor Gooch

8:36 a.m. -- Fred Couples, Russell Henley, Alex Noren

8:48 a.m. -- Adrian Meronk, Kevin Kisner, Louis Oosthuizen

9:00 a.m. -- Larry Mize, Min Woo Lee, Harrison Crowe (a)

9:12 a.m. -- Sergio Garcia, Kazuki Higa, Keith Mitchell

9:24 a.m. -- Patrick Reed, Adam Svensson, Sahith Theegala

9:36 a.m. -- Shane Lowry, Mackenzie Hughes, Thomas Pieters

9:48 a.m. -- Bubba Watson, Seamus Power, Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira (a)

10:06 a.m. -- Abraham Ancer, Chris Kirk, Keegan Bradley

10:18 a.m. -- Tiger Woods, Viktor Hovland, Xander Schauffele

10:30 a.m. -- Adam Scott, Patrick Cantlay, Kurt Kitayama

10:42 a.m. -- Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, Cameron Young

10:54 a.m. -- Hideki Matsuyama, Cameron Smith, Sungjae Im

11:06 a.m. -- Jose Maria Olazabal, Cameron Champ

11:18 a.m. -- Charl Schwartzel, Taylor Moore, Aldrich Potgieter (a)

11:30 a.m. -- J.T. Poston, Francesco Molinari, Bryson DeChambeau

11:42 a.m. -- Bernhard Langer, Mito Pereira, Ben Carr (a)

11:54 a.m. -- Danny Willett, Gary Woodland, Brooks Koepka

12:12 p.m. -- Sepp Straka, Harold Varner III, K.H. Lee

12:24 p.m. -- Phil Mickelson, Tom Hoge, Si Woo Kim

12:36 p.m. -- Billy Horschel, Harris English, Ryan Fox

12:48 p.m. -- Zach Johnson, Jason Day, Gordon Sargent (a)

1 p.m. -- Brian Harman, Joaquin Niemann, Tyrrell Hatton

1:12 p.m. -- Dustin Johnson, Corey Conners, Justin Rose

1:24 p.m. -- Matthew Fitzpatrick, Collin Morikawa, Will Zalatoris

1:36 p.m. -- Scottie Scheffler, Max Homa, Sam Bennett (a)

1:48 p.m. -- Tom Kim, Rory McIlroy, Sam Burns

2 p.m. -- Jordan Spieth, Tommy Fleetwood, Tony Finau

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Of all the LIV golfers, I think Brooks has the best chance of doing really well and maybe winning. He's back to full health and has been playing well, albeit 54 holes. Fatrick seems to thrive on being the bad guy so he may channel special inner powers and show out this week. Cam is a GREAT player so he has a chance but he hasn't been lights out in the few LIV events.

Anyway, fuck them.

Reed, as others have said (me too) in other threads, is a ZERO fucks guy.  It would be just like him to pull this one off.  I'd hate to see it but it wouldn't surprise me a bit.  I have no idea how well (or not well) he's been playing while at LIV.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Reed, as others have said (me too) in other threads, is a ZERO fucks guy.  It would be just like him to pull this one off.  I'd hate to see it but it wouldn't surprise me a bit.  I have no idea how well (or not well) he's been playing while at LIV.

In Jan, he played in the Dubai Desert Classic where he finished second to Rory. That was the tourney where Rory ignored him on the putting green, and he threw the tee at Rory. So yea, he was motivated to play well. However, he missed the cut in the tourney the weekend before. He thrives on being the asshole, which for all of his playing career he was/is.

23 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I don't know - I'd kinda like to see Phil make the cut, on the number, then hit balls into the water on 11,12,13,15, and 16. I would love to see the interview after he shot a nice little 85 on Saturday, and then gets his ass kicked by Jeff Knox on Sunday

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I almost punched my phone when I saw Willett’s mug. 

Dude shot a final round bogey free 67 to win.  Yes, Jordan blew it.  But that's a great final round to win it.  I probably wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked up and handed me a cocktail though.

15 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Who is that sitting to the left of Gary Player? Feel stupid but can’t remember him.

15 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

The chairman? Ridley?

Yes, that's Fred Ridley, chairman of Augusta National.

4 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Dude shot a final round bogey free 67 to win.  Yes, Jordan blew it.  But that's a great final round to win it.  I probably wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked up and handed me a cocktail though.

Didn't he birdie like five of the final six holes or something too -- or am I thinking of Schwartzel's finish?

54 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Hold on, I’ll have our Watson guys work up an AI version of you. Mom won’t know the difference.

Seems like a good solution. If Rory and Koepka are dueling at the turn and I'm having to listen to a tattooed, man-bun sporting waiter explain where each ingredient of the eggs Benedict is sourced from I might stab somebody. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yes, that's Fred Ridley, chairman of Augusta National.

Didn't he birdie like five of the final six holes or something too -- or am I thinking of Schwartzel's finish?

Left of Gary Player (Player's left) is not Chairman Ridley, it's Tommy Aaron. 

Schwartzel had the mad birdie finish. 

I had Powers Top 20 before his HIO's today, so i am liking that pick with the upcoming weather conditions. The weekends weather has to be common in Ireland, right???

Re: weather...It looks like the late tee times tomorrow (early tee times on Friday) will have the best shot at good weather conditions going into the weekend. Friday looks to get wetter throughout the day, so maybe take that into consideration when choosing your players.

25 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

I had Powers Top 20 before his HIO's today, so i am liking that pick with the upcoming weather conditions. The weekends weather has to be common in Ireland, right???

Re: weather...It looks like the late tee times tomorrow (early tee times on Friday) will have the best shot at good weather conditions going into the weekend. Friday looks to get wetter throughout the day, so maybe take that into consideration when choosing your players.

If the weather forecast is right, they will be lucky to finish on Sunday - but the weather on Monday looks great, maybe I can sneak in then 

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Left of Gary Player (Player's left) is not Chairman Ridley, it's Tommy Aaron. 

Schwartzel had the mad birdie finish. 

My bad -- I saw who is on left of Player, not who is Player's left.

17 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

If the weather forecast is right, they will be lucky to finish on Sunday - but the weather on Monday looks great, maybe I can sneak in then 

Saturday is supposed to be a potential washout, which means a likely Monday finish.

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

Sam Bennett, an aggy I can root for, known his family for over 50 years. How the fuck anyone that grew up playing Oak Ridge in Madisonville could be this good is a miracle.

Just watched the segment about him on Live at the Masters. Great story. Hope the kid does well. Hard not to root for him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn, unbelievable. The ai, not the shot. I’ve made the same shot many times  …..

I was hoping it would be more like this:

The most important thing you have to do when you're playing a fade is you make sure you fade it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Tiger is playing like crap.

Bunker off tee on 2nd. Had to lay up. Shitty wedge shot. 2 putt for par while Xander made birdie and Victor made egale.

Chipped it short on 3, rolled back down hill to him. Had to chip again. And then badly misses 7 foot par putt.

Give the cripple a break & remember his opening 9 has typically been not great, he is a back 9 guy at The Masters