2023 Masters

tx 3 putt

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if rahm wins another major this year 

Vamos motherfucker, Vamos!!

10 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

IMG_2126.jpeg

Why the fuck is the aggie grabbing his balls AFTER he ran out of time?

And why are the honoring the beer delivery guy this year? 🍻 

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

Well, that was a fun day. At the course for about 13 hours. Thank God only $600 spent at the pro shop.

f21e81c3316debaded160d0258ee8b05.jpg

Not that I’d turn down a Sunday badge but I’ve always said I’d rather go to one of the first three rounds but be in front of my TV for the final round because there’s no way you can see enough in person to capture the magic of the final round of the Masters from an event standpoint. Today, I would’ve been wrong. That was an extremely boring-as-hell final round on TV.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wouldn’t say Brooks choked. He just didn’t play well for 29 holes of golf. I’m sure he’s privately blaming the weather for losing his mojo. 

Rahm did a good job of hanging around the basket in the third round. Played well enough to win in the fourth round. Good for him.

I don’t understand the redemption arc for Phil. Playing well at the Masters doesn’t rinse away his sins. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyone know anything about the business model of Augusta?

I'm just amazed at everything they do to be patron friendly. Masters.com is nails. Limited/no ads on TV. Low concession prices. Free parking. Free pictures at the course. It's like the anti-American way of doing things. But how do they afford it? That website isn't cheap. Keeping up that course isn't cheap. And while I'm sure they make TV money, does one weekend with limited ads make enough to keep them in the black? Member dues are said to be pretty low considering the prestige. How do they do it?  

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Here’s the Forbes article breaking down the estimated 2022 revenue for the Masters:

— Merchandise – $69 million
— Badges – $40 million
— International TV rights – $25 million
— Concessions – $8 million
— On-course sponsors – $0
— Domestic TV rights – $0

46 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

They give away the tv rights?

Yep. They probably sacrifice $100M/yr.  soley to maintain control Here’s how it works:

After the Masters, CBS sends an invoice to Augusta National, and they check it out and get the money from their corporate partners to cover production costs,” says the source.

It continued:

That means that IBM, AT&T and Mercedes-Benz pay about $6 million to $8 million each in exchange for four minutes of advertising time per hour—about one-third of the commercial interruptions of other sporting events. Rolex and UPS are the corporate partners for the international broadcast. “If they ever opened up the [domestic TV] bidding, it would absolutely be worth more than the U.S. Open, but that’s never going to happen,” said the source, referring to the $93-million-a-year, 12-year deal the USGA signed with Fox Sports in 2013. “There was talk back when the Masters went without sponsors during the Martha Burk controversy [2003-’04] that it might go to pay-per-view,” the source said. “If they did, they could get $100 for the weekend and get two million to three million buys. Do the math on that. But they’re never going to leave CBS.”

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm just amazed at everything they do to be patron friendly. Masters.com is nails. Limited/no ads on TV. Low concession prices. Free parking. Free pictures at the course. It's like the anti-American way of doing things. But how do they afford it? That website isn't cheap. Keeping up that course isn't cheap. And while I'm sure they make TV money, does one weekend with limited ads make enough to keep them in the black? Member dues are said to be pretty low considering the prestige. How do they do it?  

They're rich enough to not need a business model.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Congrats to the aggy on being low amateur.  I’m glad he crashed and failed. He is the aggyest aggy in the history of aggy, and I hope this is the high point in his golf career. May he have a future of doing autograph signings with Johnny football.

Someone needs to photoshop him into Johnny's spot in this photo.

download (35).jpeg

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wouldn’t say Brooks choked. He just didn’t play well for 29 holes of golf. I’m sure he’s privately blaming the weather for losing his mojo. 

Rahm did a good job of hanging around the basket in the third round. Played well enough to win in the fourth round. Good for him.

I don’t understand the redemption arc for Phil. Playing well at the Masters doesn’t rinse away his sins. 

Watched his after round interview. He was his usual prick self. Blamed luck on some of the poor shots. 

Interesting enough, Spieth also blamed some poor shots on bad luck, but Jordan isn't an arrogant prick so it didn't come across as blameless as Brooks.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Watched his after round interview. He was his usual prick self. Blamed luck on some of the poor shots. 

Interesting enough, Spieth also blamed some poor shots on bad luck, but Jordan isn't an arrogant prick so it didn't come across as blameless as Brooks.

Spieth also called out his slew of mental mistakes and owned them, attributing it to too much fatigue from continuous golf (8 of 10 weeks played, 9 of 11 after RBC this week). Said he's going to alter this schedule for next year to lighten the load around the majors. 

Spieth is rarely defensive. Even in his slump, he'd own the issues, answer the same question over and over and over, stay positive, etc... There are a number of other guys like that - Finau, JT, Colin, Rory, etc. Brooks is nothing if not defensive about everything and disingenuous at heart. He has to be one of my least favorite golfers in this modern, post-Tiger era. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

Spieth also called out his slew of mental mistakes and owned them, attributing it to too much fatigue from continuous golf (8 of 10 weeks played, 9 of 11 after RBC this week). Said he's going to alter this schedule for next year to lighten the load around the majors. 

Spieth is rarely defensive. Even in his slump, he'd own the issues, answer the same question over and over and over, stay positive, etc... There are a number of other guys like that - Finau, JT, Colin, Rory, etc. Brooks is nothing if not defensive about everything and disingenuous at heart. He has to be one of my least favorite golfers in this modern, post-Tiger era. 

Agreed. I wasn't ragging on Spieth. He was genuine in responses.

Brooks was basically I hit a great shot, the ball had it's own mind and went where ever the fuck it pleased. And he referenced a few times about how Jon hit a particular club so he adjusted accordingly and still missed as if none of it was his fault.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

5lgxf5ohbzsa1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Btw that brunette was hot as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

they shit money. Their merchandise stands sell $1mil hour. CBS is on a 1 year contract. They could open an online store for one week a year and probably push merchandise sales to $500 mil a year. They’re buying up all the land they can. The place has deep pockets 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Brooks was basically I hit a great shot, the ball had it's own mind and went where ever the fuck it pleased. And he referenced a few times about how Jon hit a particular club so he adjusted accordingly and still missed as if none of it was his fault.

Yeah. Emmy Rossum vibes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I’m guessing she knew she was on TV.  She was very excited and happy.  

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/clifford-roberts-the-man-who-made-the-masters/amp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I know the golf pro at Great Hills CC here in Austin (sons played baseball together). He’s spent some time with Koepka. When I asked who he pulls for in majors, he told me “Anybody but Koepka”.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

This is a very generous sentence:

"The balance of the estate went to charities that had as their goal controlling the growth of population that he saw as the preponderant threat to the world." 

The more truthful way to say it would be:

"Roberts hated children and while he was a very conservative man, he was a strong advocate for abortion.  As such, the balance of his estate went to Planned Parenthood."

On 4/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, LTtxfan said:

If Koepka doesn't back up, folks are gonna have to play their asses off to beat him. Best chance for Koepka to lose might be due to an injury from wild sex with his crazy wife...

I suspect Jena was part of Koepka's demise on Sunday at The Masters...

51etZ8Od5Nxw&pid=ImgDet&dpr=1.3

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Used to root for Lefty in most events.  Not a Phil fan anymore really.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-all-time-masters-money-leader-jumps-tiger-woods

He was fucking nails on Sunday.  The shots he on the back 9 were ridiculous.  Right over the top of the flag on 16, nearly eagled 17 and hit it to 10 feet on 18.  Made easy birdies on 13 and 15.  Not a bad gopher for age 52.  Until Sunday, I didn't think I'd ever pull for him again.  Probably still won't but damn this was impressive.