2023 NCAA Tournament - Second Round

Pancho

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never thought I’d root for Duke but here I am. Nothing more reliable than a Barnes choke job in March. 

As he punches his ticket to his 8th S16. They’ll be big favorites there too. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its gonna be hard for duke fans(which I will love). 35 years of getting all the calls is a pretty big band aid that will hurt when it gets pulled off.

Since 1979 when they have made the tournament they have been lower than a 4 only 3 times.

they are still duke but it will never be the same

No no no- I was told I was a moron earlier this year when I said let’s wait a couple years before we declare Duke a top 5 job and see what happens after K is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

no K, no W.  I look forward to Duke's mediocrity, a perpetual NC State or similar. 

SEC is simply loaded with athletes, just like football, but the hoops requires refined skills and coaching with these guys generally don't have. We'll see how it goes.  SEC has a shot this year to win it all since Duke, UNC, Villanova and Kansas are not loaded as usual. 

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No no no- I was told I was a moron earlier this year when I said let’s wait a couple years before we declare Duke a top 5 job and see what happens after K is gone. 

I mean they won a tournament game. UNC missed the tourney - is that not a top 5 job?

They also have the incoming #1 recruiting class (or #2 either way).

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean they won a tournament game. UNC missed the tourney - is that not a top 5 job?

They also have the incoming #1 recruiting class (or #2 either way).

I didn’t say it wasn’t a top 5 job. I said it’s too early to tell as they aren’t a historic program that has had multiple coaches win national titles there. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t, but I know multiple different people have done really well at UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA (even UCONN). We will see.  

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

It'll be interesting to see if they're as patient with Scheyer as they were with K when he started there. 

Nobody since about 1987 has been as patient with their guy as Duke was with K. 
reason I said 3-10 years is if Scheyer is a success we should know it in 3 years and it’s a top 5 job for sure. If he fails I want to see one more coach come in there and see if they kill it before I say it’s not a top 5 job. 

I’ve been down at Duke seven times in the last year, for football and for soccer as the German cousin’s boy played for Duke. The campus is great, like Hogwart’s as Opa Horst said in May. I was just there Sunday after the ACC. The Washington Duke Inn is a wonderful place to stay. They have a really nice golf course and Red Oak on tap. It’s just nice. 

That being said, Fuck Duke.

Pig Sooey better wake the fuck up

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

but I know multiple different people have done really well at UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA (even UCONN).

Duke has had 3 coaches take them to a title game. They were the 8th fastest school to 1,000 wins before coach K ever showed up. They've been good since 1960.

They probably will never have the same type of run that K did again but they're still going to put good teams together. 

30 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Shaka vs Barnes incoming

Good for both of them. They both landed elsewhere and are doing well. That’s the end of the story. 

everyone in that arena will be rooting against Texas today so I hope our fans bring it.

Between Shaka and Barnes, I find it much easier to root for Barnes. He did a lot of good things for Texas and appears to be a genuinely good person. I can't get myself to root for Shaka unless he is coaching against Aggy or the sooners.

• Hook 'Em 6

• Pancho unpinned this topic