Beware of Summer 2023 beach vacations

TonyTexas

Cancun beaches were nasty, stinky messes when we were there last summer. Isla de Mujeres was ok but packed because everyone went there to avoid the seaweed. It didn't bother me much because there ain't no swim up bar in the ocean--so we would have stayed in the pool anyway. But the smell was pretty bad coming off those piles at times anyway. 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:43 PM, VABuckeye said:

Sorry to tell you but it's already in the Keys.  It's going to be brutal here when it gets into the canals.  The stench will be worse than the dead fish from the red tide that just ended.  I expect locusts and pestilence next.

God...that reminds me of that hellacious freeze in TX a few years back when it was below freezing for 2 or 3 days straight here on N Padre Island.  Killed shit tons of fish and the canals were putrid...and I live on a canal.

Going to South Beach in a few weeks. We’ll see what happens but I’m prepared to spend more time at the pool if it’s an issue.

Going to St. Barth in June. It’s been an on and off issue for years, but the nice thing about a small island is that different beaches face different directions and they never all get hit at the same time. If the first beach you pick has sargasso, hop back in the car and drive 10 minutes to a different beach.

Here’s a link from NOAA to monitor conditions:

https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/sargassum_inundation_report/#

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Floridians and the tourists seem like a bunch of pussies. It’s seaweed. Can it get bad? Sure, but it’s not going to ruin a vacation.

Have you ever been to a beach covered in sargassum? It's gross, it smells horrible, and it irritates your skin.

7 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Are there a lot of women running around in basically their underwear in the mountains?

And is there anything in the mountains during the summer where your kids can entertain themselves for hours at a time, allowing you to sit back and get hammered?

• Hook 'Em 1