[SWEET SIXTEEN BOUND] Texas vs Penn State - NCAA Tourney round of 32

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For all the good Barnes did, he had a habit of slowing the game down too much in the final five minutes and turning it over to his stars for one on one basketball. Now he did have NBA star players so I can understand it. But keeping the pace up allows you to exploit your talent advantage and find open players easier. Terry doesn’t do what Barnes did and I think so far that seems to be working ok. 

This is a great take. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, dittohead said:

Just got back to the hotel from the game.  

The horns down thing is worn, tired and boring at this point.  We live rent free in basically everyone's head in Iowa... and everywhere else.

Hook em!

It’s hilarious. For 3 coaches in a row ISU has built their entire roster with transfers. They were loading up on transfers basically before anyone else in the country was. They lose one guy and they piss their pants crying. Loser school with loser fans, shocker their best player left them

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sooooooo happy with the defensive plan and effort tonight.  To go 1-13 from three and still get the dub means we’re doing so many other things well.   Disu can feast on teams that don’t have a strong inside presence.  Haven’t watched Xavier or Pitt to know if they have legit rim protectors or not.  Dish’s touch has been so impressive lately. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BarthHollamew said:

Sooooooo happy with the defensive plan and effort tonight.  To go 1-13 from three and still get the dub means we’re doing so many other things well.   Disu can feast on teams that don’t have a strong inside presence.  Haven’t watched Xavier or Pitt to know if they have legit rim protectors or not.  Dish’s touch has been so impressive lately. 

Pitt is big and wants to slow the game down. Xavier is a more high scoring offense - nothing we didn’t see in the Big 12 consistently. 

53 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Naww, y'all are just bitchasses who can't handle adversity.

Again, it's a game of runs. PSU made one. Timmy contributed to that, but that shouldn't negate the other 35+ minutes (or whatever it was) of outstanding basketball that he played.

Own it. The truth shall set you free.

And that run was fueled by Allen being tired af. Which is why coach called a timeout and settled that shit down.

Runs have reasons... Basketball isn't random.

3 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Both teams have 2 seven footers, but the Pitt guys are sticks. Xavier actually has good guards too 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

1 hour ago, troph said:

He did more than that. Called a play - Marcus to the hole for 2 when we were down two scores then feed Disu. We’ve seen Barnes and Shaka shit the bed last 5 mins, this man deserves a helluva lot of credit tonight. Future status is something else but tonight he coached well.

He's coached well and made great adjustments in a lot of games this year.

Honestly I was a bit concerned he was sticking to the "best 5" lineup too much for the last 10 minutes of the game today but I was wrong.

Just now, Mdhorn said:

Rice and company looking to explode next game. They had their down game on their way to beating two of the better three point shooting teams. Looking for them to go off now.

Yep.

Winning that game while going 1 for 100 from 3 bodes well for future games.

No way we shoot that poorly from 3 in any game moving forward.

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

He's coached well and made great adjustments in a lot of games this year.

Honestly I was a bit concerned he was sticking to the "best 5" lineup too much for the last 10 minutes of the game today but I was wrong.

They definitely looked tired for a bit and he called timeouts twice when Barnes for sure would have let it ride. Kudos to calling the TO to stop state’s run as soon as they took the lead.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

He did more than that. Called a play - Marcus to the hole for 2 when we were down two scores then feed Disu. We’ve seen Barnes and Shaka shit the bed last 5 mins, this man deserves a helluva lot of credit tonight. Future status is something else but tonight he coached well.

The play after the time out was the 2-man action that got Disu an easy basket. Disu scored the 1st 6 points after that time out to put Texas up 3, then Carr got the layup.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The play after the time out was the 2-man action that got Disu an easy basket. Disu scored the 1st 6 points after that time out to put Texas up 3, then Carr got the layup.

My bad. 
point still remains re the reset in the TO. The offense was laser focused and disciplined down the stretch. Not one bad decision (on offense) to close it out. Carr’s foul was you know.

curious who had the ball on the pick and roll with Disu on the first play and who if anyone set the screen for carr on the second?

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, troph said:

My bad. 
point still remains re the reset in the TO. The offense was laser focused and disciplined down the stretch. Not one bad decision (on offense) to close it out. Carr’s foul was you know.

curious who had the ball on the pick and roll with Disu on the first play and who if anyone set the screen for carr on the second?

Carr had the ball on the 2-man action with Disu. Penn State hedged on Carr throughout the game. They were determined to keep him out of the paint.

I expect the next opponent to sell out guarding Disu. He has been on a hot streak the past several games and they will naturally focus on him. I think his recent emergence took some teams by surprise. Before Disu it was Rice. Before Rice it was Carr. 

We have so many weapons on this team. Looking forward to seeing who steps up to take the offensive lead when Pitt or Xavier start focusing on DD. 

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Carr had the ball on the 2-man action with Disu. Penn State hedged on Carr throughout the game. They were determined to keep him out of the paint.

Yeah, this is our best offense. 

The 2-man pick and roll with Disu and Carr is really tough to stop. The broadcasters were talking about this in the Big 12 championship game and they were right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Reading through this game thread makes me glad I stopped posting in most bball game threads, especially during the tournament.  We have an inordinate amount of bitchass, chicken little posters around here who are ready to throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity, seemingly more than most fan bases.  We also apparently have a bunch of dummies who believe that basketball teams have an unlimited stash of timeouts.  Like Borzello referenced above Terry and the coaching staff showed their wares down the stretch. That open floor pick n roll gave Dylan and Marcus Carr a lot of room to.make magic happen down the stretch and it's literally something we pulled out of our asses cuz I haven't  seen us run a pick n roll like that on the weak side all year.  It totally surprised Penn St and caught them off guard. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

If user name checks out I doubt you’ll have a chance. 

I’m wondering who Dylan’s biological father is, because we covered genetics in middle school as well as biology in high school and here is the photo above rotated properly. 
B80489F7-3D91-4716-9B65-AB2F2C65373F.jpeg.14b8beb882ed2ba22f20496cec625a03.jpeg

That lady and Charlie Strong’s doppelgänger do not have the genes to make a Dylan. 

I’m not worried about being 5’9”.

Solid

48 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If it's Xavier, I really like that match up for us on the offensive end. 

Nunge is a good interior defender but he's not mobile enough on the perimeter. That Carr and Disu pick and roll will give them all types of issues. Kennessaw State was terrorizing Xavier with the pick and roll. 

From your pixelated keystrokes to the basketball gods ears 

But goddamn we got here. After all the bullshit 

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’m wondering who Dylan’s biological father is, because we covered genetics in middle school as well as biology in high school and here is the photo above rotated properly. 

That lady and Charlie Strong’s doppelgänger do not have the genes to make a Dylan. 

Solid

Someone was stuffed in their locker during the recessive genes section

• Haha 2

Incredible game! 

It is really hard to believe we could win in two completely different ways only 40 hours apart.  The poor team preparing for us will not have have a clue how to prepare.  

The key number was 5, as in 5 turnovers and #5 driving to the hoop at the crucial time.  The determination Carr showed to drive the lane while holding the ball in one arm was amazing. 

The thing I think I was most impressed with was the turnovers being reduced to next to nothing. 

As long as we stay loose and get the evenly called game, I feel very good about moving on.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Solid

Moses Malone was 6'10". His dad was only 5'6". His mom was 5'2". Wilt Chamberlain wasn't much different with a 5'8" dad and 5'9" mom.

I know Penn State was only a 10 seed but the more I watched them I reached the conclusion this was a brutal 2nd round draw. 

They don't turn the ball over, they don't foul, they have 3 or 4 shooters that can get hot from 3, and Pickett is one of the best scorers in college basketball. I think they could beat a lot of teams in the tournament. 

If they had just had a slightly above average big man that's an elite 8 team. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The D won this game. Incredible effort.

Yes, the defensive strategies installed by Terry at the end of conference play and the both tournaments have been impressive. Some individual player defensive goofs coupled with poor 3 point shooting kept Penn St in the game. 

My favorite was is still Pickett trying to old school back down Timmy towards the end of the game with a bunch of old man style moves to get around him and Timmy did not let up or give up his ground an inch. Don’t play that old school shit on our old man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Solid

My cousin always said something about tall kids. Her husband was a great player in college in the 60s who still holds school scoring records as well as a conference scoring record. Her boys both played CBB. Anyway, her observation has always been that tall moms make tall boys, more so than tall dads. Dylan’s mom looks to be 5’-10” or taller. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor