[SWEET SIXTEEN BOUND] Texas vs Penn State - NCAA Tourney round of 32

shadow_operative

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Rice and company looking to explode next game. They had their down game on their way to beating two of the better three point shooting teams. Looking for them to go off now.

So if we hit our regular 3 point percentage, we win last night by 14? I'll take that.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

So if we hit our regular 3 point percentage, we win last night by 14? I'll take that.

They didn't hit their usual 3's either, so I guess it was a wash. I think both teams were playing with tired legs. We should be playing much better after a week's rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quotes:

“This whole game and our game plan offensively was to really own the paint,” Terry said. “It was a paint game for us on the offensive end of the floor. We didn't want to settle. We knew (Penn State) was a really good offensive team, we had to try to make them work on defense and we wanted to attack the paint all night long.

“We knew we had a size advantage; we knew we had a guy (Disu) that could score the ball that's playing at a very high level.”

“I said, ‘guys, we've been here before, it's nothing we haven't faced this year,’” Terry said. "I said we've played the toughest league in the country, let's go out right now. We've got to put it on our defense. We've done it all year long. We've got to get a stop and score and put some stops together here and try to finish this game out. And I thought our guys went out and did that at a very high level.”

“We know some nights you know we're not going to shoot as well as we want to shoot, but our defense travels,” Terry said.

“We've been battle-tested time and time again. This was nothing new,” Allen said. “When we got down there, there was no shake, no bend. We just went back to what we do, what we prepped for. We knew it wasn't going to be easy. We knew there was going to be a time today where we would have to go through adversity and get over that hump, and we did that. A ton of guys stepped up, a complete total group effort. And Dylan had a special night. Another special night, I should probably say.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/mens-basketball/2023/03/18/dylan-disu-texas-men-edge-penn-state-to-reach-sweet-16-in-ncaa-tournament/70024808007/

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Moses Malone was 6'10". His dad was only 5'6". His mom was 5'2". Wilt Chamberlain wasn't much different with a 5'8" dad and 5'9" mom.

When I look at stories like Wilt’s and Moses’, I think about Nutrition For The Parents vs Nutrition For The Kids during each groups’ first 15 years.

Wilt’s mom being 5’9” and born in the 1900s to 1910s is really damned tall. He had the tall gene that could have been enhanced with a good farm diet. (More protein than the average city dweller.)

Mose Malone’s height is much more of a shocker. Maybe his parents were raised on a poor diet in addition to a strange growth anomaly.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My cousin always said something about tall kids. Her husband was a great player in college in the 60s who still holds school scoring records as well as a conference scoring record. Her boys both played CBB. Anyway, her observation has always been that tall moms make tall boys, more so than tall dads. Dylan’s mom looks to be 5’-10” or taller. 

I think my niece is getting some of her height from my mother, because that kid is fairly tall and my mother has lost three inches of height. 

My mom’s sister has more grandkids and she’s lost even more height. She used to be 5’3” and is now 4’9”. So the kids are definitely getting some height from their grandmother!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas did everything well tonight other than miss wide open 3s. 

I'm not saying we shoot like we did in game 1 again but I don't see us shooting like we did tonight again either. 

I'm ok with it too. Rice, Disu, Carr all had wide open looks at 3 that missed last night. Brock had an open look. They just weren't falling. We can bet that wide open shots won't be missing like they were last night for long. 

Genetics talk not going away.

The refs pretty much swallowed their whistles last night. Pedo had a bunch of thick, physical screeners trying to peel off defenders by any means necessary. I only recall Pickett being called despite a bunch of questionable screens. Props to the Horns for adapting to the way the game was called and fighting through it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

How dis-you do? 

He was nails last night. When we went down 3. The subsequent 3 possessions, 2 for us and 1 for them was as strong a stretch of bball we’ve seen from Texas in quite some time. 

I’ve rewatched the last five minutes countless times already. The whole country thought we were dead at that point, but I know our guys never had a doubt. Just needed to chill out for a second and lock back in. Funny part was barely seeing any Horns down on the jumbotron til that moment, then every PSU fan and pasty midwesterner in the building was doing it during the timeout. Never fails.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

and Pickett is a legitimate probably top 10 player this season.

the guy is a real deal beast, and beyond ghat he doesn't fit any sort of traditional mold- he can seriously do it all. the defense we played on him last night was outstanding.

54FB4BB1-5CD0-4F35-BC81-D7E1E7220D7B.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative

Oh, and coming back to this thread to say F that bulldog face lookin ass dude that Disu was eating up all night. Hit a couple threes and the camera wouldn't stop showing his bulldog-face lookin ass dad. Why were they on him so much? I didn't have audio last night so idk if he was an ex NBA player or somethin, but that dude wasn't even the star of the team and I kept having to see his dad talkin shit in the stands. Really wish they would've shown him more when Disu was eating his son's lazy ass post defense up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

Oh, and coming back to this thread to say F that bulldog face lookin ass dude that Disu was eating up all night. Hit a couple threes and the camera wouldn't stop showing his bulldog-face lookin ass dad. Why were they on him so much? I didn't have audio last night so idk if he was an ex NBA player or somethin, but that dude wasn't even the star of the team and I kept having to see his dad talkin shit in the stands. Really wish they would've shown him more when Disu was eating his son's lazy ass post defense up. 

CBS had his dad mic'd up for the game.  Mic'ing up parents in the stands seems like an extremely bad idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the guy is a real deal beast, and beyond ghat he doesn't fit any sort of traditional mold- he can seriously do it all. the defense we played on him last night was outstanding.

54FB4BB1-5CD0-4F35-BC81-D7E1E7220D7B.jpeg

Four of the 10 are Texas guys, but obviously none plays for us. I'm hopeful we're starting to change that. 

36 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Really wish they would've shown him more when Disu was eating his son's lazy ass 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7n4hrb1glnvi4ulko97

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Four of the 10 are Texas guys, but obviously none plays for us. I'm hopeful we're starting to change that. 

we were with beard. bears got us back into the DFW. not sure we still have anyone on staff with any pull in that region.

12 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Oh, and coming back to this thread to say F that bulldog face lookin ass dude that Disu was eating up all night. Hit a couple threes and the camera wouldn't stop showing his bulldog-face lookin ass dad. Why were they on him so much? 

Haha. I thought the dad looked like a white bun b.