Dylan Disu

Rickylovesweed

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That floating jump shot is wicked.  I can't remember a Texas big who could consistently hit that shot in maybe the last 15 years.

And the guy is always having fun.

Forget a Texas big. I don't remember any Texas player,  big, wing,  or guard, hit that shot as consistently as him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

That floating jump shot is wicked.  I can't remember a Texas big who could consistently hit that shot in maybe the last 15 years.

And the guy is always having fun.

The one off the glass was magical.  OK not magical because he was so confident that it was going in, but still..

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Forget a Texas big. I don't remember any Texas player,  big, wing,  or guard, hit that shot as consistently as him.  

isaiah taylor comes to mind, but his was a straight line floater. disu has an entire bag of floaters from different angles off of different moves. his touch in that department is jokic-esque. world class touch and dexterity from disu. 

10 hours ago, shakahorn said:

The one off the glass was magical.  OK not magical because he was so confident that it was going in, but still..

no that shit was magical. i commented at the time that that will be one of the highest degree of difficulty shots that anybody makes in this entire tournament. i'm getting as excited over disu floaters as i used to get over a clack or a kerwin roach dunk, and that one had me just like:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ebd5mab8to0oslju9w

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm trying to think of another situation where a player has improved like this in-season. Like, a fairly pedestrian player, suddenly becoming the best player on an already very good team. Not just in basketball, but in any sport. 

Linsanity, except for the whole "the team is good" part. 

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm trying to think of another situation where a player has improved like this in-season. Like, a fairly pedestrian player, suddenly becoming the best player on an already very good team. Not just in basketball, but in any sport. 

John Harris in football might be close in terms of coming out of nowhere but neither he nor the team were as good as Disu and this team are right now. 

Edit - looked up Harris's game log and he wasn't a mid-season development. I remembered that incorrectly. 

Edited by Huckleberry

John Harris in football might be close in terms of coming out of nowhere but neither he nor the team were as good as Disu and this team are right now. 
Edit - looked up Harris's game log and he wasn't a mid-season development. I remembered that incorrectly. 

In 1990 Hadnot came out of nowhere midseason. But he was a true freshman, so a little different.

Disu hustled on both sides of the floor and although he missed a few shots towards the end of the first half, they were money in the second.  Just dominated inside and from mid.  Also, defensively, I think this team really fed off his early hustle 'cause they got after PSU on the defensive end.  At times, Texas gets too guard oriented, mainly because they're so athletic, which is great. PSU had great hands defensively inside, making it difficult to dribble drive.  But feed Bishop and Disu and make sure they stay involved. 

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The turnaround with 2 seconds on the shot clock....at that point was there any doubt it was going in? What a shot that was. I jumped off the couch.

I was in the nosebleeds and the only Texas fan in my section. Pretty sure everyone around me thought I had lost my mind. Admittedly, I was going nuts during the last 4:45. I’m just so used to the feeling I had when we went down three evolving into pain and a loss after so many years, it was truly one of the most satisfying Longhorn wins I have been at in any sport. I’m addicted to the thrill and headed to KC, ready to watch these guys battle again. Jobs not finished. Not even close.

• Hook 'Em 8

On 3/19/2023 at 11:24 AM, Red Five said:

Who can forget the magical development of Will Baker. Lets take a trip back to 2/19/21 with the horns on a 4 game losing streak, and TCU strolling into the Irwin center. "The Thrill" erupts for 20 pts on 67% shooting, leading the horns to critical win allowing us to salvage the season. From that moment on, it only got better as.....uh, let me check here, uh...Will uh....never mind. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4431691/type/mens-college-basketball/year/2020

Still laugh at that season game log.

Edited by Blotto
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Who can forget the magical development of Will Baker. Lets take a trip back to 2/19/21 with the horns on a 4 game losing streak, and TCU strolling into the Irwin center. "The Thrill" erupts for 20 pts on 67% shooting, leading the horns to critical win allowing us to salvage the season. From that moment on, it only got better as.....uh, let me check here, uh...Will uh....never mind. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4431691/type/mens-college-basketball/year/2020

Still laugh at that season game log.

Hah great callout, that’s insane. Dude scored 20 points in a game, less than 50 for the year, and there were no suspensions/injuries involved - I bet that doesn’t happen an average of one time a year across all of D1.

There was some pitcher for some team (I think it was the Orioles?) in the early 60s who had something like a 6-19 record, but 5 of his 6 wins were against the Yankees and 4 of the 5 were compete game shutouts…

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

welcome to The Floatation Station:

i love how our own players, 22 year old men with tons of D-1 experience saw the shot and were like, "nah, that's not real. that's luck." that's how sick of a shot that is. 

/ramble

Knowing the amount of work, day in and day out, that it takes to develop a shot that smooth, that consistent, from multiple angles and varying ranges, it makes me appreciate Dylan even more. Honestly didn't know Disu was such a gym rat and had that kind of ethic.

Remember when TJ developed that mid-range game between his freshman and sophomore seasons? Or grew into the clutchest of free-throw shooters?

Same for Aldridge with that mid-range J, or PJ going from undersized college center to NBA 3-and-D journeyman, and KD with, well, his entire repertoire. 

All of those guys became legends because of the extra work, the eight-hour, self-imposed practices on off days (yes, A.I., I'm talkin' 'bout practice!).

Again, had no idea Dylan was one of them. The sleeper has awakened.

/ramble

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

/ramble

Knowing the amount of work, day in and day out, that it takes to develop a shot that smooth, that consistent, from multiple angles and varying ranges, it makes me appreciate Dylan even more. Honestly didn't know Disu was such a gym rat and had that kind of ethic.

Remember when TJ developed that mid-range game between his freshman and sophomore seasons? Or grew into the clutchest of free-throw shooters?

Same for Aldridge with that mid-range J, or PJ going from undersized college center to NBA 3-and-D journeyman, and KD with, well, his entire repertoire. 

All of those guys became legends because of the extra work, the eight-hour, self-imposed practices on off days (yes, A.I., I'm talkin' 'bout practice!).

/ramble

Yeah I commented on this the other night.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, ztejas said:

It's an extremely difficult shot. Watching him these last few weeks it's become evident that he works his ass off. You can't hit those hooks and floaters like he does as consistently as he does without putting in thousands and thousands of reps. 

He's also an decent ball handler. So is Bishop and even Mitchell. The fact that everyone on our 8 deep can handle and pass is part of why this is such a good team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And - because y’all know I'm that guy - KD's work ethic is on a different level. I love PJ and LMA and Disu but they aren't KD. 

PJ Carlesimo was on Russilo the other day and shared some KD stories. He said there were times when the team would get back from a road trip and it would be 2, 3 in the morning and he'd hear a ball bouncing in the practice gym beneath him and he didn't even have to look to know who it was. 

Durant is like half a step below Kobe in terms of insane work ethic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And - because y’all know I'm that guy - KD's work ethic is on a different level. I love PJ and LMA and Disu but they aren't KD. 

PJ Carlesimo was on Russilo the other day and shared some KD stories. He said there were times when the team would get back from a road trip and it would be 2, 3 in the morning and he'd hear a ball bouncing in the practice gym beneath him and he didn't even have to look to know who it was. 

Yes but is he a true Longhorn? 
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Not sure I'd agree Durant was below Kobe in terms of work ethic. But I'm nitpicking cuz I never cared for Kobe the player.

I recall Barnes talking over the years how certain athletes (T.J., LMA and KD specifically come to mind) were gym rats and all-but lived on the practice court. Anyone wanting to be great--and stay great--at the next level should take note: your height, hops or first step might get you in the door, but your relentless desire to improve is what's going to separate you from all the rest.

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not sure I'd agree Durant was below Kobe in terms of work ethic. But I'm nitpicking cuz I never cared for Kobe the player.

I recall Barnes talking over the years how certain athletes (T.J., LMA and KD specifically come to mind) were gym rats and all-but lived on the practice court. Anyone wanting to be great--and stay great--at the next level should take note: your height, hops or first step might get you in the door, but your relentless desire to improve is what's going to separate you from all the rest.

Kobe was a workout warrior to a fault. It's possible that Durant is, too. I haven't seen the same psychopathic behavior from KD, though. 

On 3/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, longhornmatt said:

Probably one of the BMW guys?  Travis Mays?

Disu is single-handedly destroying the analytics movement.  Daryl Morey is going to have to abandon 3 and D guys and start looking for masters of the 12 foot one hand push shot.

Blanks had 26 in the 2nd half alone against Xavier, and Mays had 30+ in that game as well.

Durant had 27 and 30 in his two NCAA games.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Kobe was a workout warrior to a fault. It's possible that Durant is, too. I haven't seen the same psychopathic behavior from KD, though. 

This.  Kobe and Jordan are the only ones (maybe Tiger in golf) who cared about nothing, NOTHING except beating everyone else and being the alpha, and combined the God-given talent with the work ethic and drive to back it up.  Durant may have the first two but as long as he's jacking off on twitter he'll never get there.  Jordan and Kobe would never have been on twitter in their primes.  Too busy making up the next perceived slight to provide motivation to destroy.

9 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This.  Kobe and Jordan are the only ones (maybe Tiger in golf) who cared about nothing, NOTHING except beating everyone else and being the alpha, and combined the God-given talent with the work ethic and drive to back it up.  Durant may have the first two but as long as he's jacking off on twitter he'll never get there.  Jordan and Kobe would never have been on twitter in their primes.  Too busy making up the next perceived slight to provide motivation to destroy.

I mean, yeah, Jordan was great. That's not really what I'm talking about. Durant and Kobe both worked way harder than MJ ever did. MJ is so incredible because at times he really didn't give a shit and still showed up and kicked everyone's ass. That 2nd 3 peat he was pretty much unlike anything we've ever seen as far as elite athletes go.

Twitter wasn't a thing in MJ and Kobe's primes. They may or may not have talked shit like KD. All I was mentioning is Durant's work ethic which is by multiple accounts legendary. There are other threads to discuss his shortcomings in.

Edited by ztejas