Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - Friday at 8:45pm on CBS

Pancho

Not a team I wanted to play in the tournament. On average, five players score in double digits and Xavier shoots 39.1% from three.

That being said, Texas can definitely win this match up. Texas has the edge on defense, but they'll have to make some threes this time around.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 12.48.03.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Xavier looked pretty damned good this afternoon, but every team we play from here on out is going to be pretty damned good. 

I think they got tired and sloppy in the second half--it's just that Pitt was not good at all. X is not deep. Get their big guy in foul trouble and I like our chances to do damage in the second half.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm assuming the team came back late last night or this morning, and will be on campus until probably Wednesday?  Media/shoot-around on Thursday, game on Friday.  Way it lines up, they do get some much needed rest after 5 games in 11 days.  Saturday night to Friday night, 6 full days.  

Hope they do a sendoff for 'em to K.C.  Because if they make it to Houston, there'll  be no send-off, just us waving to one another on 71.

No, it's Mexican.  Like "Javier"  Only more Catholic,  Wait Javier...Jasway...Jesuit.  Something there.

I think it was 2008 we lost to them in the Elite 8.  I watched the game at Boomerz in South Austin.  A few of the regulars had just be involved in a bank heist, unwillingly.  And there was a Fish Fry in the alley, 'cause Lent.  God bless the Jesuits.  Just not their hoops team.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean we're in the sweet sixteen. Everyone we play from here on out is going to be problematic. 

On the bright side - Texas might be the most problematic team in the country. 

Yeah, if we’re talking Sweet Sixteen opponents, I think it’s a pretty decent draw for us 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Xavier looked pretty damned good this afternoon, but every team we play from here on out is going to be pretty damned good. 

Yeah, but that’s mainly because Pitt sucks. 

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No, it's Mexican.  Like "Javier"  Only more Catholic,  Wait Javier...Jasway...Jesuit.  Something there.

I think it was 2008 we lost to them in the Elite 8.  I watched the game at Boomerz in South Austin.  A few of the regulars had just be involved in a bank heist, unwillingly.  And there was a Fish Fry in the alley, 'cause Lent.  God bless the Jesuits.  Just not their hoops team.  

It was a ref-raping of the highest order. Xavier was a Cinderella story, so Sato and Chalmers got sent to the foul line whenever they missed a shot and the blue-collar boys from Texas got sent home.

Hated Thad Matta for years because of that game, even after he went to Ohio State and even though he ultimately had nothing to do with the fix.

That 2003-04 squad was possibly my favorite. Ivey, Mouton, Buckman, Boddicker, Paulino, and a very young P.J. Tucker and James Thomas**. Just an incredible group of lunch-pail types without a genuine star that deserved an even chance to advance. Sato alone had as many free throws as the entire Texas team.

So that loss hurt and I'm still bitter about it. Fuck Xavier. Forever and always.

** Didn't include Klotz for reasons I won't go into even though he was Texas' leading scorer that season.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Wow, I was way off.  2004, not 2008.  And Sweet 16, not Elite 8.  Would explain why it was on a Lenten Friday, since Elite 8 woulda been Sat/Sun.  

That was a great team, loved guys like Mouton, Ivey, Kenny Taylor, and Paulino.  I still run into Buckman all the time in Austin but never bring up that game.  And of course James Thomas.  I don't really remember the ref/foul bullshit, but on the face of it---yeah 25 fouls resulting in 35 free throws for Xavier.  That does seem a tad excessive for tourney officiating.  Without looking it up, I have to say though---no fucking way Klotz was the leading scorer on that team that season.  No offense to Ivan Drago, but I doubt he ever led us for a single game in scoring, let alone a whole season.  Or are you saying for that 3-game tourney stretch  ?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Without looking it up, I have to say though---no fucking way Klotz was the leading scorer on that team that season.  No offense to Ivan Drago, but I doubt he ever led us for a single game in scoring, let alone a whole season.  Or are you saying for that 3-game tourney stretch  ?

You're right--Klotz was not the leading scorer. Not sure where I got that from. Maybe the 2005 team? I dunno. Regardless, I was way off.

From blind memory, by 2005 though---we had Gibson, Aldridge, and Tucker was coming into his own.  I doubt Klotz led that team either.  

Fucking blows me away that 2007 team whenever I reach back to memory lane.  4 NBA players (including two all-stars) plus Abrams on the wing and we got absolutely fucking smoked in the second round by a fucking 12-loss USC team.  I thought that was a Final Four team.  Love Coach barnes, but not sure how he fucked that one up so poorly.  

Anyway, not gonna jinx this season.  But this team is the deepest and most athletic we have ever had at Texas.  Ever.  It's Houston by April, bitches! 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No offense to Ivan Drago, but I doubt he ever led us for a single game in scoring, let alone a whole season.  Or are you saying for that 3-game tourney stretch  ?

just looked it up, Drago scored 12 pts in our 3 games (0,10,2). For the regular season, he was our 6th leading scorer. Braff must have been smoking the good stuff in 2004.

For the 05 season he was the 4th leading scorer: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/texas/men/2005.html 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

just looked it up, Drago scored 12 pts in our 3 games (0,10,2). For the regular season, he was our 6th leading scorer. Braff must have been smoking the good stuff in 2004. 

If you're gonna correct someone, at least be correct: the "three games" was someone else's assertion, not mine.

That said, total memory fail on my part. Maybe he took over the scoring duties in 2005, after Aldridge and Tucker went out. My memory is obviously compromised, possibly due to foreign substances, but also possibly because I didn't care for Klotz and have tried to erase his association with the school.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

3 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Don't forget that Penders' 1990 team blew out highly-ranked Xavier 102-89.

Regardless of the final score, I wouldn’t consider any game where you trail by 16 at half a ‘blowout’. That is still probably my favorite UT hoops night ever; the game didn’t end until probably close to midnight, and people were literally partying in the streets in West Campus for hours afterward…

• Hook 'Em 3

Xavier has some flaws. Like all high scoring teams, they are good shooters until they are not. Ask Colgate and Pedo State. 

Five of Xavier's losses were to Indiana, Duke, Creighton, Butler, and Nova. They common thread? Those teams have good defenses that average fewer than 70 points allowed per game. The Horns do that too.

By comparison, Xavier allows 73 per game. Obviously Carr, Rice, and good Hunter have to show up, but they aren't a scary defense to face.

The starting five can ball, for sure, but there's not much depth there. We're clearly ahead in this department. Attack that seven footer from the get go. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It was a ref-raping of the highest order. Xavier was a Cinderella story, so Sato and Chalmers got sent to the foul line whenever they missed a shot and the blue-collar boys from Texas got sent home.

Hated Thad Matta for years because of that game, even after he went to Ohio State and even though he ultimately had nothing to do with the fix.

That 2003-04 squad was possibly my favorite. Ivey, Mouton, Buckman, Boddicker, Paulino, and a very young P.J. Tucker and James Thomas**. Just an incredible group of lunch-pail types without a genuine star that deserved an even chance to advance. Sato alone had as many free throws as the entire Texas team.

So that loss hurt and I'm still bitter about it. Fuck Xavier. Forever and always.

** Didn't include Klotz for reasons I won't go into even though he was Texas' leading scorer that season.

I loved that fucking team….

• Hook 'Em 2

• Pancho changed the title to Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - 8:45pm on CBS

Xavier can really shoot (no.3 3-pt shooting team in the country with three guys shooting 40% or more and another at .375), they've got a ton of experience (16th nationally in d-1 experience), and they've got size (26th in america in avg height) including a talented 6'11" big man who is one of the aforementioned 41% three point shooters. they've also got a really good coach who's already been to the Elite 8 four times.

in other words, Xavier is a legit national title contender, and this could be our toughest game of the season. i'm obviously on the record as saying that we can do better than rodney terry, but if we win this game, draw up the contract that night. just don't tell anyone about until after we've won the whole damn thing. 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Xavier can really shoot (no.3 3-pt shooting team in the country with three guys shooting 40% or more and another at .375), they've got a ton of experience (16th nationally in d-1 experience), and they've got size (26th in america in avg height) including a talented 6'11" big man who is one of the aforementioned 41% three point shooters. they've also got a really good coach who's already been to the Elite 8 four times.

in other words, Xavier is a legit national title contender, and this could be our toughest game of the season. i'm obviously on the record as saying that we can do better than rodney terry, but if we win this game, draw up the contract that night. just don't tell anyone about until after we've won the whole damn thing. 

We just played two other top 10 3pt shooting teams and the last one literally was the most experienced team in the country.

Xavier is good but they absolutely are not a legitimate national title contender. This game worries me less than PSU does,  frankly. We're better than Xavier and we're going to beat them. 

(Next up on Skip and Shannon, apparently)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

We just played two other top 10 3pt shooting teams and the last one literally was the most experienced team in the country.

Xavier is good but they absolutely are not a legitimate national title contender. This game worries me less than PSU does,  frankly. We're better than Xavier and we're going to beat them. 

The concern here is that Xavier has something that the Pederasts did not: lenf.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

xavier's got more size (talented size at that) than penn state, and again they've got sean miller who's won in this round four times already. they're a really good offensive team, one that i think is better and more varied than penn state. this was the team i most wanted to avoid from our bracket.  

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

The one thing that concerns me is Miller is a legit coach, especially with offense. They can run and gun, something they should have done at Arizona but whatever. 

We can definitely lose this game. What makes me happy is I don’t think Xavier has faced a defense like Texas. They definitely didn’t with Pittsburgh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho changed the title to Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - Friday at 8:45pm on CBS
  • immamac pinned this topic
  • Pancho unpinned this topic