Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - Friday at 8:45pm on CBS

Pancho

Just now, shadow_operative said:

xavier's got more size (talented size at that) than penn state, and again they've got sean miller who's won in this round four times already. they're a really good offensive team, definitely better and more varied than penn state. this was the team i most wanted to avoid from our bracket.  

That's fair. Penn State had been hotter than fish grease, though. 

I don't think we come out shooting like we did against PSU again. I actually think we handle Xavier easily. They haven't played anyone like us all season. 

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Since this tourney started I felt Xavier was a team that was way over seeded and not a 3 seed. Mainly because there conference is overrated.

other than that I haven’t even seen them play and have no idea. Fuck them though.

You mean that shitty overrated conference with 3 teams in the sweet 16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Xavier can really shoot (no.3 3-pt shooting team in the country with three guys shooting 40% or more and another at .375), they've got a ton of experience (16th nationally in d-1 experience), and they've got size (26th in america in avg height) including a talented 6'11" big man who is one of the aforementioned 41% three point shooters. they've also got a really good coach who's already been to the Elite 8 four times.

in other words, Xavier is a legit national title contender, and this could be our toughest game of the season. i'm obviously on the record as saying that we can do better than rodney terry, but if we win this game, draw up the contract that night. just don't tell anyone about until after we've won the whole damn thing. 

I think the Carr and Disu pick and roll is going to give Xavier all types of trouble. Nunge is pretty awful in pick and roll defense because of his size/immobility. 

I posted this in another thread but Kennesaw State abused Xaiver in pick and roll. Watch Nunge here. This is a game where we need Carr to hit some 3s because he's going to find open looks from Nunge getting stuck in these situations. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I know Texas likes to play kind of fast but I think the best strategy in this game is to slow it down. 

1) Xavier's offense is all about getting quick looks. Their offense is a lot less efficient when you get them deep into the shot clock and minimize transition buckets. 

2) Our best offense against Xavier is going to be putting Nunge into pick and roll defense. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - Friday at 8:45pm on CBS
21 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

You look at Rickylovesweed over there and it's just all about posting about Xavier's weaknesses as a basketball team.

Thing is Xavier is pretty weak at everything other than moving the basketball (I.e. assists) and shooting the 3. 

It's amazing what hitting 3s can do for you. 

18 hours ago, huge said:

I like our chances in a faster paced game. We definitely have the edge in depth.

LFG

There are advantages and disadvantages for both teams running in this game. It's the most interesting part of this match up. 

Regardless of if Texas runs, they need to attack the rim and get Xavier in foul trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, SKA the boss said:

Xavier has some flaws. Like all high scoring teams, they are good shooters until they are not. Ask Colgate and Pedo State. 

Five of Xavier's losses were to Indiana, Duke, Creighton, Butler, and Nova. They common thread? Those teams have good defenses that average fewer than 70 points allowed per game. The Horns do that too.

By comparison, Xavier allows 73 per game. Obviously Carr, Rice, and good Hunter have to show up, but they aren't a scary defense to face.

The starting five can ball, for sure, but there's not much depth there. We're clearly ahead in this department. Attack that seven footer from the get go. 

Solid. This pretty much sums up my take. Live by the three, die by the three when you face a team that can defend the three (see pedo state).

I'm not jinxing shit.  And I'd gladly piss you guys off for knowledge of my powers.

Sunday tip-offs are 1:00p & 4:00p-CDT.  If San Diego State upsets Alabama, they're gonna get the later game.  Otherwise, I think Alabama versus whomever gets the earlier game and we get 4:00p with MIA/HOU winner.  Plan your yardwork accordingly.  i am.  

Holy shit, $100?  As a college kid in 1990?  That's like a surly 1% now paying $500 for a ticket, then reselling it for $1000 online, taking the profit, getting a hooker, paying her $500, killing her, taking the $500 back, and buying back the ticket for $1000 and seeing us win the game Friday night.  I love it.

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People haven't talked about the Freemantle injury enough. 

Xavier's record without Freemantle (10-5 and 1-3 against Kenpom top 40 teams). With Freemantle (17-4 and 5-3 against Kenpom top 40 teams). 

If we are focused and took preparation seriously it’s not even going to be close. 

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

If we are focused and took preparation seriously it’s not even going to be close. 

Xavier is definitely still capable of winning but this simply isn't the same team without Freemantle. He was their best rebounder and led the team in EFG and TS. They just played a really soft schedule in the absence of Freemantle. 

The 10 wins without Freemantle included Providence x 2 (#45 Kenpom), St. Johns (#82), Depaul X 2 (#137), Butler (#122), Seton Hall (#63), Kennesaw State (#123), PIttsburgh (#62). 

• Hook 'Em 2

The Sir’Jabari article on The Athletic mentioned that we are 10-1 in games decided by 6 points or less. The only loss was the game @TCU which was frustrating, but this team is still so damn clutch.

Xavier is 10-6 in the same games. The losses include @DePaul, @Butler, and Villanova at home. They have some solid wins too of course, but not as many as us.

Thought this was a good sign going into what most expect to be a pretty close game.

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Xavier is definitely still capable of winning but this simply isn't the same team without Freemantle. He was their best rebounder and led the team in EFG and TS. They just played a really soft schedule in the absence of Freemantle. 

The 10 wins without Freemantle included Providence x 2 (#45 Kenpom), St. Johns (#82), Depaul X 2 (#137), Butler (#122), Seton Hall (#63), Kennesaw State (#123), PIttsburgh (#62). 

Their best win without him was when Creighton couldn’t make shit from outside and couldn’t stop turning it over stupidly. My dad went to CU so I watched the entire ugly ass game, and it was by far the worst performance of the year that they had with a healthy Kalkbrenner.

If he was healthy this would probably be a pick ‘em game. Hopefully we end his replacement’s hot streak and really make them miss Freemantle.

2 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Their best win without him was when Creighton couldn’t make shit from outside and couldn’t stop turning it over stupidly. My dad went to CU so I watched the entire ugly ass game, and it was by far the worst performance of the year that they had with a healthy Kalkbrenner.

If he was healthy this would probably be a pick ‘em game. Hopefully we end his replacement’s hot streak and really make them miss Freemantle.

Yeah, conference tournaments are not built for Creighton. They play their starters huge minutes (30+). Playing back to back games is not a recipe for success if you're Creighton.