Sweet 16: Texas vs Xavier - Friday at 8:45pm on CBS

Pancho

18 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

1990 Game against Xavier.

What years were the BJ Tyler and Terrance Recher teams? Couldn't have been too long after this one. That's my first memory of watching Texas basketball. Then Reggie Freeman and then Clack. All clear from there. 

Edited by BERT
yes i could look it up but fuck you that's why

2 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

The Sir’Jabari article on The Athletic mentioned that we are 10-1 in games decided by 6 points or less. The only loss was the game @TCU which was frustrating, but this team is still so damn clutch.

Xavier is 10-6 in the same games. The losses include @DePaul, @Butler, and Villanova at home. They have some solid wins too of course, but not as many as us.

Thought this was a good sign going into what most expect to be a pretty close game.

That's not including the Illinois game, that we threw away and ended up losing by 7 in OT.

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

That's not including the Illinois game, that we threw away and ended up losing by 7 in OT.

Yeah I’m sure that’s why the 6 point threshold was chosen. Just going to forget that ever happened and act like we win that game with RT lol.

15 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Yeah I’m sure that’s why the 6 point threshold was chosen. Just going to forget that ever happened and act like we win that game with RT lol.

Clearly under RT we lose that game in regulation by 20. And the God Of All Defense allowed a team that shot 31% BTA for the season to shoot 44% that night, so you’re looking at probably 80% if RT is coaching that game…

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Clearly under RT we lose that game in regulation by 20. And the God Of All Defense allowed a team that shot 31% BTA for the season to shoot 44% that night, so you’re looking at probably 80% if RT is coaching that game…

Fucking Matthew Mayer.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Going to prison for buying high school recruits is stupid. 

Especially since the fucking Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled that it is now 100% legal

NCAA should lift that poor guy's 10 year ban from coaching

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Especially since the fucking Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled that it is now 100% legal

NCAA should lift that poor guy's 10 year ban from coaching

I mean… that’s not what the Supreme Court said. They might say that if they eventually take a case raising that issue, but they have not yet. 

Slowing it down seems like a bad idea. You should look to push and get easy looks, just stay under control. Limit the live ball TOs, as Xavier doesn't force the issue, and with their depth concerns I don't think he be applying the ball pressure that the Texas guards can put on opposing guards. Gerry mentioned he looks for Xavier to zone when we have Allen, Mitchell, and Disu on the court, but doesn't like Xavier zoning our 3 guard lineups as all of those guys can get hot and bury you. If they ever got hot together, then you are looking at the Baylor offense the year they won the title with a much better post-game to help out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

44 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry mentioned he looks for Xavier to zone when we have Allen, Mitchell, and Disu on the court, but doesn't like Xavier zoning our 3 guard lineups as all of those guys can get hot and bury you. 

Sean Miller has rarely run zone in his career. Probably less than 10% of defensive possessions. 

But he may have no choice in this game if they can't guard the Carr and Disu pick and roll. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pace of play is the interesting part of this match up. 

Advantages for Texas-

1) Texas has more depth. More possessions = more fouls which may get a team that only plays 6 guys into foul trouble. 

2) Xavier can be turnover prone at times. So full court pressure could play into our advantage. 

3) Texas is much more athletic across the board so theoretically that should be an advantage for Texas in the open court. 

Advantages for Xavier-

1) They are a much more efficient offensive team when they score quickly. Their offense is predicated on scoring in transition. 

2) Xavier's weakness on the defensive end is Nunge defending the pick and roll. Getting them into a half court game where you abuse Nunge seems to be the best offensive strategy. 

I'm not sure what the strategy is here because I can see the reasoning both ways. 

On 3/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, BERT said:

What years were the BJ Tyler and Terrance Recher teams? Couldn't have been too long after this one. That's my first memory of watching Texas basketball. Then Reggie Freeman and then Clack. All clear from there. 

91-94.  Rencher was still there in 94/95

Clack/Vasquez came in 95/96

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:27 PM, jw4381 said:

Man, the Drag was awful fun after that Xavier game...

My friend was arrested and put in the Paddy Wagon for hitting a cop in the head with a roll of toilet paper

Was let go after people chanted "Free Bart Simpson" because he was wearing his T-Shirt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cooterhorn said:

My friend was arrested and put in the Paddy Wagon for hitting a cop in the head with a roll of toilet paper

Was let go after people chanted "Free Bart Simpson" because he was wearing his T-Shirt

I remember that!

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we score more points than Xavier, we probably win. If not, we probably lose.

"sometimes when you win, you actually lose. And sometimes when you lose, you actually win"

"you get this all from the same book?"

"gaaawwwd, Billy, you so stooopid" 

• Haha 4

On 3/21/2023 at 9:04 PM, YGIFS said:

Holy shit, $100?  As a college kid in 1990?  That's like a surly 1% now paying $500 for a ticket, then reselling it for $1000 online, taking the profit, getting a hooker, paying her $500, killing her, taking the $500 back, and buying back the ticket for $1000 and seeing us win the game Friday night.  I love it.

image.jpeg.bbfcd7c0b5e500f0b126c68a3cfc9248.jpeg

If I could buy a ticket for $500 and immediately resell it for $1000, I would be spending all my time figuring out how to buy more tickets for $500. Run that scam a half dozen times, then I get to kill a $3000 hooker in April. 

You don't kill hookers in April, you fucking heathen.  That's Easter month.  You don't want 'em coming back from the dead to tell your friends what you did.  Everybody knows...you kill 'em in December since they have nobody to go home to anyway.  

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I hope it's not dicky v calling the game tonight.

The NCAA/CBS does not need that senile fuck to sully the joy of March Madness.  He claims he "turned down" an offer to call MM games by CBS out of his "loyalty" to ESPN.

Sure Jan GIF

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You don't kill hookers in April, you fucking heathen.  That's Easter month.  You don't want 'em coming back from the dead to tell your friends what you did.  Everybody knows...you kill 'em in December since they have nobody to go home to anyway.  

YGIFS seems to know a lot about killing hookers.  He may be Craig James.

• Pancho unpinned this topic