Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I've had a front suspension squeak that's driving me crazy, couldn't locate it by sound.  I was lazy so squirted a bunch of lithium grease around the UCA, coil, spring perch hoping to solve it. Nope.  Finally had time to pull of the wheel and 

IMG_7123.jpg.4d70b3d97ebb86399f8f1deb9b2f856d.jpg

there's no zerk on the UCA.  Which means I installed it without adding any grease. Smart.  The PO apparently burned a hole in the shock tower to do exactly that in the past (not uncommon) but they now make 45 degree zerks so cleaned it up and screwed them in.

IMG_7124.jpg.2588cf9c5952f0945a4bca5363b23916.jpg

Greased it up, took it for a spin and voila, no more squeak!  Had a nice drive, all smiles

IMG_7126.jpg.937067d538e2edfab07ff35ce2f5e2ab.jpg

until on the way home the dash gauges died.   Has to be the voltage regulator crapping out again (I've replaced it 2 times already), or maybe a bad ground. If it's not one thing with these fucking cars it's another.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

So I took that picture after going to get some non-ethanol gas.  I park in the garage and I smell gasoline so I check under the hood and there is a loose ignition wire so I think, "I had one cylinder not firing" and go inside to let the engine cool.  Come back out later and the smell is worse. 

I look under the car and the gas tank is leaking from the fuel sender, by now it is midnight and so I decide to quickly back it into the driveway out of the puddle of gas and try to tighten the retaining nut.  I get under there with gas running down my arm while in my sleeping shorts and no shirt and tap the retaining nut to tighten it and it just falls off and now instead of a slow trickle I have gushing gas.  I crawl back out get a low sided bucket and catch about 7 gallons of gas before it gets to a drip.

Now I have to get back under there and the damned rubber washer wont stay in place.  I had to take the fuel sender completely out, bungled up the gas hard line with a slight bend and all that goes with it.  Fit and replaced it about 8 times before I decided I need some petroleum safe RTV gasket maker just to hold the rubber gasket where it goes. I got what I thought was a good seal and then put it back together.  Then I had to put the gas back in the tank because I could not leave it in an open container. 

Probably spent 90 minutes, inhaled enough fumes for a lifetime and stunk up the whole house, kids were up and complaining.  Wife was angry I asked if she could hold an extinguisher (would not have done any good if I needed it).   Got to be after 3:00.

And if this does not make any sense to you because your fuel sending unit bolts up, this is what I had to deal with it's more like a crappy snapple lid friction fit.

image.png.dbf97c046c84d47475510c51a0c01bc6.png

Hey, I'm alive today, right?

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Had to choose between teh rage emoji and the laughing emoji.  I picked the rage emoji because I have a gas tank and sending unit replacement on tap that I have been putting off for too long and don't want to deal with the karma of the laughing emoji. 

I know the feeling of covered in gas unfortunately. Luckily during the day but about 30 degrees. Was replacing a fuel filter and didn;t crack the cap so all the pressure exploded gas all over me. Lots of fun in back yard hosing down in 30 degrees

16 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

I know the feeling of covered in gas unfortunately. Luckily during the day but about 30 degrees. Was replacing a fuel filter and didn;t crack the cap so all the pressure exploded gas all over me. Lots of fun in back yard hosing down in 30 degrees

If you own a classic vehicle and haven't experienced being covered in gasoline, you have someone else work on your vehicle.  Just changed fuel lines and filters a last month - yep, a little fuel spillage.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The good old boys would do that shit with a Pall Mall hanging out of their mouth.  don't ask me how, but I see'nt it.

You see’nt someone with a rapper hanging out of their mouth?

NTTAWWT

Edited by conVINCEd

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You see’nt someone with a rapper hanging out of their mouth?

NTTAWWT

No, but in the 80’s and 90’s I see’nt a group old guys basically dismantle and reassemble one or two of nearly every car Detroit made from 1960-1975 while chain smoking.  No fucks given.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

No, but in the 80’s and 90’s I see’nt a group old guys basically dismantle and reassemble one or two of nearly every car Detroit made from 1960-1975 while chain smoking.  No fucks given.

I was making a bad joke.  The old limey bastard, and I say that lovingly, who kept my POS Land Rover running during the aughts was the same way.  Bet he burned through 3 packs a day.  I have no memory of him without a cigarette in his mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, yesterday I had my first issue with the 1998 911.

I was driving through Ohio, on my way to Notre Dame for a wedding and all of a sudden about half of the emergency lights came on. Alternator Warning, the ABD Green, ABD Red, Anti Lock, etc. I pulled off into a service plaza and called AAA. They sent a flatbed and we loaded it up. The car still ran well, no smoke or anything, and brought it directly to the dealership outside of Pittsburgh. 

I was a bit worried but, figured it had to be some electrical gremlin of sorts because everything was still running well.

Just got a call from the dealership and it's pretty good news. The alternator belt snapped and that caused it all to go a bit wacky. I do think it was a good thing not to keep driving, obviously. And I told them since they are in there to just change all of the belts, just to be safe.

I think it could have been much, much worse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

So, yesterday I had my first issue with the 1998 911.

I was driving through Ohio, on my way to Notre Dame for a wedding and all of a sudden about half of the emergency lights came on. Alternator Warning, the ABD Green, ABD Red, Anti Lock, etc. I pulled off into a service plaza and called AAA. They sent a flatbed and we loaded it up. The car still ran well, no smoke or anything, and brought it directly to the dealership outside of Pittsburgh. 

I was a bit worried but, figured it had to be some electrical gremlin of sorts because everything was still running well.

Just got a call from the dealership and it's pretty good news. The alternator belt snapped and that caused it all to go a bit wacky. I do think it was a good thing not to keep driving, obviously. And I told them since they are in there to just change all of the belts, just to be safe.

I think it could have been much, much worse.

In terms of things going wrong a few hundred mmiles from home - you hit the jackpot

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is a story that I have put off telling for a week because it was just too painful and I screwed up so bad it was embarrassing.  I did not even look at my car for a week, did not take any pictures, nothing.  If I went to the garage I tried not to glance that direction even though the damage was on the far side of the car.

I have been working overtime on my car to get interior in and AC working.  I had finally buttoned up the AC system under the hood and it is ready for charging.  I bought two cans of R134A for my new system and was ready to head off to get it charged last Sunday afternoon (also my anniversary). And I wanted to give my wife a ride in the car with AC for the first time.

I started it up but did not wait my usual 5 minutes to get it up to temperature and open the choke so when I backed out of the garage it stalled.  I put it in park and tried the key but it did not crank.  Tried a few things and still did not crank.  So I figured maybe my solenoid is bad so I go to jump it and see if the starter engages.  It does, the car starts and it starts pulling away from me in reverse.  Begore I could pull the ignition wire to the distributor it side swiped a tree.  As you can guess I did not get it all the way into park and the car was in gear and the ignition cutoff switch was working properly and I bypassed that safety switch with my hairbrained idea.

Damage is to the passenger door and front fender.  Side mirror was also ripped off.  At least it was not painted yet.  The cowl, hood and rockers are fine. It drives the same.  Could have been worse.

Took me a week of letting it go to get to where I could tell you guys.

vp4pUDRmuyL0RUlEwsHWlVjrradY505EGT_M4trrJNgQnTBDAqWKu6lBrN3x_cX-LOkRSaQYy5-J34u-IB7SklzfeGV3IR5mdnzvGHb00ZGhfj9s4VwwcoPcEUleU0TR7f24YZ5Ki972kMmdoh4HhZS42ibEqiPEBmOFUESq6ABsBS1SNcWYCMNIsOc_tg31VKa-pm2X_2o1owh3w3UvVwZUgXDYDJPjnuT9JSmJi4ZzzuV30ZD7cYYt3q9EpyYI1GrQFaAezzLKxq7ayl-zlMFWZ3QFWcMZCf2qkf9XvWEgOv23rM1lo3ge7VSAEhDmy8S5GiFV3Aaw27cmyY4iYvGnBckexM8ULnPe_85n7DZpJqCQYWVAfqI651eTr9wI3vXCN3KL4d0gu_A6BmWTb08bGGvNtriWSjzOnbGQBLj2fjgV9Oz9LplUYshAzDIxS12Qy-MWqDndhkgi6a9qoCfasCVvnUDvZujWA6jsv6h4zCXey68ELXn0DNMuYyo8U7RlOFsICV7De7yL6XLcIiCTm3_rADws9dgO37IGfuwM1fuXfTwGDsVk2CgiwWNqeLLh1onZtR75BS9iJQ1zLHY8IyjRvGrGwa3xnvttu24HTAvpiQI2Jb4eWyTTUMXxGLpX9USg0EIKWL3nMMVs1CDDs6CuMBVtxgfsfFw0RIgQCXvcc2iCmuSI8VMnMtMa0VRUtLAaPtfmRr-Vl2lj8Qhks_b2ChieaDH60pTYJ3WXnEt6MkNfg3Jjy9f7AaCQctwi_A-UjEaY5V83F5wjqolre6MedmiFdifU5QGlxjQlc63quRI9BfqiUBaWxxwl4PoSATHZ=w884-h663-no?authuser=0

• Hook 'Em 2

Here is a story that I have put off telling for a week because it was just too painful and I screwed up so bad it was embarrassing.  I did not even look at my car for a week, did not take any pictures, nothing.  If I went to the garage I tried not to glance that direction even though the damage was on the far side of the car.
I have been working overtime on my car to get interior in and AC working.  I had finally buttoned up the AC system under the hood and it is ready for charging.  I bought two cans of R134A for my new system and was ready to head off to get it charged last Sunday afternoon (also my anniversary). And I wanted to give my wife a ride in the car with AC for the first time.
I started it up but did not wait my usual 5 minutes to get it up to temperature and open the choke so when I backed out of the garage it stalled.  I put it in park and tried the key but it did not crank.  Tried a few things and still did not crank.  So I figured maybe my solenoid is bad so I go to jump it and see if the starter engages.  It does, the car starts and it starts pulling away from me in reverse.  Begore I could pull the ignition wire to the distributor it side swiped a tree.  As you can guess I did not get it all the way into park and the car was in gear and the ignition cutoff switch was working properly and I bypassed that safety switch with my hairbrained idea.
Damage is to the passenger door and front fender.  Side mirror was also ripped off.  At least it was not painted yet.  The cowl, hood and rockers are fine. It drives the same.  Could have been worse.
Took me a week of letting it go to get to where I could tell you guys.
vp4pUDRmuyL0RUlEwsHWlVjrradY505EGT_M4trrJNgQnTBDAqWKu6lBrN3x_cX-LOkRSaQYy5-J34u-IB7SklzfeGV3IR5mdnzvGHb00ZGhfj9s4VwwcoPcEUleU0TR7f24YZ5Ki972kMmdoh4HhZS42ibEqiPEBmOFUESq6ABsBS1SNcWYCMNIsOc_tg31VKa-pm2X_2o1owh3w3UvVwZUgXDYDJPjnuT9JSmJi4ZzzuV30ZD7cYYt3q9EpyYI1GrQFaAezzLKxq7ayl-zlMFWZ3QFWcMZCf2qkf9XvWEgOv23rM1lo3ge7VSAEhDmy8S5GiFV3Aaw27cmyY4iYvGnBckexM8ULnPe_85n7DZpJqCQYWVAfqI651eTr9wI3vXCN3KL4d0gu_A6BmWTb08bGGvNtriWSjzOnbGQBLj2fjgV9Oz9LplUYshAzDIxS12Qy-MWqDndhkgi6a9qoCfasCVvnUDvZujWA6jsv6h4zCXey68ELXn0DNMuYyo8U7RlOFsICV7De7yL6XLcIiCTm3_rADws9dgO37IGfuwM1fuXfTwGDsVk2CgiwWNqeLLh1onZtR75BS9iJQ1zLHY8IyjRvGrGwa3xnvttu24HTAvpiQI2Jb4eWyTTUMXxGLpX9USg0EIKWL3nMMVs1CDDs6CuMBVtxgfsfFw0RIgQCXvcc2iCmuSI8VMnMtMa0VRUtLAaPtfmRr-Vl2lj8Qhks_b2ChieaDH60pTYJ3WXnEt6MkNfg3Jjy9f7AaCQctwi_A-UjEaY5V83F5wjqolre6MedmiFdifU5QGlxjQlc63quRI9BfqiUBaWxxwl4PoSATHZ=w884-h663-no?authuser=0

Damn man! Sorry to hear that, especially after everything you've done to get her up to speed. Self-inflicted wounds hurt but don't let it get you down. Keep at it remember in the end we can fix cars, glad you're safe.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Almost got killed by my MGA in college. Was lying on ground with head under car to look at something and asked DAd to start it. He reached in and hit the starter. MGA's do not have a clutch switch so the car took off. Somehow I got my head out of the way and got smacked with the door as it went by. Somehow it hit the end of the garage and didn't do any damage to car (or me). Big fan of clutch switches ever since

Today was a great day! Finally fixed the brake issues on the superbee that I've been messing w/for months. I had White Post restoration rebuild the master cylinder and they did a great job. Bench bled it, installed it, and then bled the brakes using my power bleeder....a lifesaver.

The garage was hot as all hell..fans in full force. Took the old girl out and the brakes no longer drag, and I was able to rile up the neighborhood during lunchtime.

Just waiting on my air grabber to get back from the restorer next week. Then I can install it and put on the hood. I need to mess w/ the idle/air screws as she's burning a bit rich but damn it was good to finally drive her more than 1/8 mile or so. 1128355d6b4dc30262e6640bc14b3efa.jpg9b0927cdfa26eb9072032ba81df0cf2a.jpg

d3ce87ed053f25e1477def7aa331b86b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted pictures of past events before (and at least a few of the same cars before), but my buddy's dad has a big birthday bash every year where they close down their street and all his friends bring their cars for an impromptu car show. 

Here are some pictures of middling quality from this year, sorted roughly by country of origin. 

Sorry/not sorry for blowing up the thread. 

~~~~~

Italy.

20220731_143746.jpg

20220731_143739.jpg

20220731_142036.jpg

20220731_142046.jpg

20220731_142053.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Back from California and the Petersen. Unfortunately I didn’t get a ton of pictures but I could have spent all day there and I didn’t even go down to the Vault. I will next time, but ran out of time. They had movie cars and the Bond exhibit. It was awesome.

bde1da84159eb63a797b0b526ad88e1c.jpg
9435439d1e3b320359d70e1728937403.jpg
efedbc0178dbe49b99bd0f5b378e9dc1.jpg
af16b418a0570367d8dc11f077bb6d65.jpg
71c81eca9bab473d616833bfb75b4be0.jpg
ac21a1f6cfa97fcd141d838d0b7117c9.jpg
d450e7c574c896363482837f96c3a2ac.jpg
2d43b286b53110066a9446a25250f8ad.jpg
07504836deab3097c100a68da53e29c3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2